Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

played this game with some friends. It got old, really, really fast. the amount of effort required to get a furnace, and the entire time we thought "boy, this took us ages to do, so surely the upgraded tools it provides will be worth the effort". we all made ourselves iron axes, and were excited to go out and chop wood really fast.

except the axes were garbage and only gave us +2 wood gathering per swing. we were all noobs so we'd died a bunch of times and were stuck constantly with 70 health and stamina, which was a major pain in the rear end. keeping ourselves fully fed and hydrated didn't boost our wellness back to max. our iron axes would be good for about 6 swings and then our stamina would be so low that we'd get +2 wood per swing.

it was a really painful and boring experience. on the 7th day, a zombie horde attacked us, but it was easily rebuffed since they killed themselves on our wooden spikes. after that, we did a bunch of looting, but the game got stale really quickly. the reward satisfaction was barely there, and everything was such a grind and a slog for subpar rewards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they could find a way to keep that early game feel while still allowing base building I'd play it a lot more. But when it turns into fending off bile spewing super zombies that melt bases I get bored and quit.

And playing 20 days then restarting doesn't quite scratch the itch either.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I kind of liked it when it was mainly a looting game a long time ago. But I always get bored because there is so much poo poo that they added to just get yourself established.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
I've played a ton of hours in the past two years and I'm officially burned out. Maybe it's me maybe it's the game.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm pretty sure it's the game. It's a constant slog, building isn't fun, basic stuff like log spikes takes a tonne of resources, the reward factor is less reward, more punishment.

I was really hype about this game, but man did getting hooked on it for two days really show me it's not a gem in the rough, it's just rough.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

xzzy posted:

If they could find a way to keep that early game feel while still allowing base building I'd play it a lot more. But when it turns into fending off bile spewing super zombies that melt bases I get bored and quit.

And playing 20 days then restarting doesn't quite scratch the itch either.

This was me too. The super zombies and cops spewing base-dissolving acid just isn't fun. I wanted to sort of be in that looting/exploring/build a normal fortification semi-roleplaying mode, but the later game just turns into MineCraft Gimmick Engineer where you have to design a game of Mouse Trap and break all immersion.

EDIT - And the fact that the changes they're talking about are zombies that are even more focused on destroying your base makes me wonder if it'll end up being a game I want to play again. Which is a shame because there's a lot here I love, and I've got a lot of hours in it.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Yeah I wouldn't mind modding it to more of a romero-style, with lots and lots of regular shamblers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is easy to do if you're comfortable editing xml, I've done it for nomad no loot respawn playthroughs.

And it is a lot of fun but you need to have the "discipline" to avoid holing up in a giant base because it gets stale pretty fast.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The big problem is that the devs think bases shouldn't be safe and comfortable.

The real question is: why? If I spend 25 in-game days grinding my skills up, collecting shitloads of materials and building an awesome base, why should I not be rewarded with an area where I can dick around and not worry about threats?

Yes, sitting in a base gets boring quick. But to solve that they can add content that actually incentivizes players to get out and take risks. For example, you build a radio, then at 2 AM you receive an SOS transmission from another survivor. In the morning you hop on your bike, travel for half a day and find them holed up in a broken cabin, and they say that if you help them repair and reinforce their base and survive the next horde attack they will tell you the location of a secret cache, or become a vendor, or join you at your base, etc.

Or you have to rescue a small group of soldiers from the depths of a military bunker, and you have to fight your way through hordes of zombies to get to them before they get overwhelmed.

Another thing that would incentivize people to leave their base would be to tie wellness to variety of food consumed. That way you can't just hoard canned food or meat pies if you want to increase your wellness rating. You actually need to go out and find different types of food. Or maybe add a spoilage mechanism, or make stored food attract hordes. And so on.

Basically, players in general want to build cool poo poo and not have to constantly repair and replace bits and pieces of it. That just gets tedious and annoying and leads to burn out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or take it one step further and use it recruit NPC's to come to your base that allows automating farming tasks. Turn you into some kind of "rebuilding society" mayor.

Or maybe not. Their most advanced AI to date is "run in straight line towards player and smash anything that gets in the way," maybe asking for NPC's is asking too much.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think your event idea is great. I think the idea of NPCs being more than the random dude at the invulnerable trading outpost would be awesome.

How much more interesting would it be that instead of just thinking about your little 6x6 plot of land, you could save/hire NPCs who'd help take care of various tasks or generate various resources, but need to be protected and have a certain amount of space? Speaking of Minecraft, I used to do that... I'd find a village and turn it into a city with tall buildings, underground areas, numerous apartments/houses, and cruise through the NPC vendor area that I made and threw all the vendors into.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.
Yeah this game for me has become "Wait for new alpha major revision...play new alpha until bored, repeat."

This one was neat at first, sleepers were a very cool addition, but the new horde mechanics and lack of effective defenses kinda kills the whole tower defense part of the game. Also the way it works now, if your gamestage is high and you run into any of the cool "vertical dungeons", you are guaranteed to have every zombie be a feral version, meaning they run during the day, making it far too lethal to go looting without high level armor and a decent sniper rifle. If you have these, why the gently caress are you still looting? Most of the things you want in the super-late-game are found either from cars (engines, radiators for brass), or traders.

In any case, they aren't planning any really neat gamechangers next patch, so I may just check back in a few years to see if it's still going or not. I'm pretty much over it.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
The A17 feature list is only things that are done. For whatever reason they decided to switch to only showing completed features instead of making a big list of a bunch of things they want to put in and then saying "This won't make it in, that's out." etc.

I know AI is one of their biggest goals because that paves the way for bandits and NPC's.

EDIT: Also just saw this: https://twitter.com/joelhuenink/status/918226420240928769

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Had quite a bit of fun playing this with a friend because we could do local co-op, an increasingly rare perk.

Lack of endgame is still sad, because you just kinda play it less and less as it becomes stale.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I still posit that this game is incredibly fun as long as you play max difficulty settings (Insane, highest zombie spawns, worst loot, no airdrops, etc.) and delete your save if/when you die the first time. Death normally softens the game's internal difficulty, so this way it just keeps scaling higher and higher, forcing you to actually try to survive. Once you've learned how the game works, everything else is too easy. Plus, permadeath gives you an incentive to start a new seed every now and then to keep things fresh,

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't find the combat to be very much fun :\ Landing a melee hit feels really disconnected from the zeds, as well as their delated reaction. Animations that were responsive to the direction you're swinging in would go a long way.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Any thoughts on War of the Walkers mod? It adds a shitton of POIs/items/interactions, ramps up zombie count/damage/strength, and simplifies the classes so you have to interact with others.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
Bugfix patch today:
http://7daystodie.com/alpha-16-4-patch-is-out/

Your Mom posted:

Changed
Reduced walk weapons sway and bow sway
Forge input now has a timer indicating how long until the current item is finished
Players now trigger sleeper volumes from further away to avoid spawning seen by the player
Put fix in place to skip corrupt sleeper volume savegame data.
Some general improvements to zombie jumping

Fixed
Sleepers spawning in front of players as they are breaking into building
Grass is getting snow cover inside buildings
Snowpack shadow regression
Solar cells won’t show on trader refresh.
Red Mesa elevator shaft stability fix and other improvements.
Turrets play double sounds for clients
Roads generating as Clay, Dirt, Gravel and Sand
Land Claim does not prevent placement of minibike chassis.
SI Exploit for Rock Prefab
Zombies don’t seem to be attacking animals
Dupe method “destroying container”
Duping with 2 people using containers
KeyNotFoundException for sleeper volumes
Problem that particle for paint brush was never removed and slowed down the game
Fatbelly (sleeper spawn trigger) should not go vertical
Sleeper volumes are not being restored properly
Gamestage calculates offline days as survived days
waste_rubble_bldg_07 sleeper spawning after POI is cleared
OSX: Camera view jumping after interacting with containers
Sleepers that die while laying down shouldnt stand up
Bear animation is jittery when the bear turns
Snakes are fire proof
Block 614 sucks player into it
Wire Tool wire disappears when switching tools after first time use
Zombies cannot climb or break New 3D Ladders from the back side
ArgumentException when trying to continue a game
Savegame Crash: EndOfStreamException: Failed to read past end of stream.
Zombies sometimes clip into the ground and blocks when they jump
LandClaimOfflineDurabilityModifier
Force quiting the game when in respawn stage results in loss of crosshair etc

Known Issues
Onscreen keyboard is only available if you start the game from Steam’s Big Picture Mode
Smell is not working with the new stealth we will revisit it in a17
GlobalUV support inhibits anisotropic filtering and it has to be calculated in the shader.
Farming of crops other than yucca and hops affects performance
Precipitation and cold temp going through windows, glass blocks, doors, and hatches
Excessive use of trigger plates may cause servers to lag during hordes.
Gore block dup

Why the gently caress can they not fix Gore block dup?
(I have no idea what Gore block dup is.)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lonjon posted:

Bugfix patch today:
http://7daystodie.com/alpha-16-4-patch-is-out/

Why the gently caress can they not fix Gore block dup?
(I have no idea what Gore block dup is.)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > 7 Days to Die - Some general improvements to zombie jumping

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have an extreme hankering to play this online. My wife is away until 6pm saturday. I want to play a fresh game, online, with goons (friendly goons!). Anyone want to do this? I'm on PST and can put my Thursday/Friday night after around 7pm into this, as well as saturday from 11am or so onwards.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
What ever happened to the goon server for this game?

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004

ugh its Troika posted:

Garbage updates ran us all away and the server shut down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

I killed myself

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

ugh its Troika posted:

I think the real answer is people played for a month or so and started to drop off after, though TFP's habit of the first couple major patches per version (.1, .2, etc) breaking RWG compat/etc also hurts things.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It's a fun game for sure but gets annoying and tedious after a while, mostly because TFP's idea of a fun game is one in which the player has to constantly work to maintain their base (repairing blocks, replenishing turret ammo, replacing broken traps, etc. etc. etc.).

I want reasons to explore the world and discover new places, not be forced into a routine where I have to constantly mine/gather resources to be able to do the above tasks.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
big problems for me are:

-I can't kill zombies instantly. I will enter a poi and either run backwards out of it, killing zombies, but then when I go back in they respawn. I hear there's some kind of zombie limit but sometimes it seems that the building can at least fully replenish like 3x. This wouldn't be a big problem but:
-By the time you're at a sort of high level there are flaming nuclear cops inside every building. They also damage the loot boxes in gunshops, etc. If you see one you basically have to abandon the idea of getting anything from that building. It becomes too hard to loot.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

redreader posted:

big problems for me are:

-I can't kill zombies instantly. I will enter a poi and either run backwards out of it, killing zombies, but then when I go back in they respawn. I hear there's some kind of zombie limit but sometimes it seems that the building can at least fully replenish like 3x. This wouldn't be a big problem but:
-By the time you're at a sort of high level there are flaming nuclear cops inside every building. They also damage the loot boxes in gunshops, etc. If you see one you basically have to abandon the idea of getting anything from that building. It becomes too hard to loot.

War of the Walkers fixes this. There's an early power spike that lets you roll over mobs and has more hordes in exchange for less POI spawns. By the time powerful zombies show up, you've got good equipment and can use new traps on the fly.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

redreader posted:

big problems for me are:

Just use the creative menu to give yourself a purple spiked club. I do this every time I start a new game.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JB50 posted:

Just use the creative menu to give yourself a purple spiked club. I do this every time I start a new game.

Using the console to cheat in order to get around fundamental problems with game design isn't really fun.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

enraged_camel posted:

Using the console to cheat in order to get around fundamental problems with game design isn't really fun.

It doesnt bother me at all. What I dont find to be fun is banging on a zombie 15 times with a wood club and he still doesnt die.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

JB50 posted:

It doesnt bother me at all. What I dont find to be fun is banging on a zombie 15 times with a wood club and he still doesnt die.

Sure, but that just motivates me to level up quickly and upgrade my gear. And in order to do that, I need to kill that zombie so I can go loot stuff inside... etc. It's part of the progression path. If I give myself the best melee weapon right away then it's like there's no point to killing the zombie.

I mean yes, the spawn mechanic around POIs is annoying as hell, but I find that the best method to kill zombies at the beginning is to stealth around with bow and arrow and just shoot sleepers in the head. Most go down in one hit, so you can clear the whole place first, then loot. Meleeing with a wooden club isn't a good idea. Too risky and too slow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They really should overhaul the melee system. I appreciate they want getting close to a zombie to be a major risk but they've created a game where you make a bow and then spend the rest of the game playing at range.

They should probably push bows further down the progression tree and make a melee progression where you go from killing solo zombies with clubs to killing small groups that wander streets with spikes or a sledgehammer to dealing with a house full of sleepers with something bladed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'd like to see more complex melee moves/combos and takedowns/finishers, which should give you temporary bonuses you can utilize to take out the next zombie, then the next, etc.

Sadly, I don't think this dev team is talented enough for that type of dynamic combat system. Besides they've already painted themselves into a corner with massive scope creep so they probably don't have time to even try to tackle it.

Honestly I've been waiting for someone to make a zombie game that uses a Batman Arkham-style fast-paced combat. That series has one of the most fun combat systems to date and I think the zombie genre could really use something like that.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

enraged_camel posted:

Honestly I've been waiting for someone to make a zombie game that uses a Batman Arkham-style fast-paced combat. That series has one of the most fun combat systems to date and I think the zombie genre could really use something like that.

It's not batman style, but Dying Light at least had reasonably fun combat. What's more fun than doing some kind of super-slidetackle that breaks their legs or dropkicking them into a wall of spikes?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dying Light was really impressive for the first couple hours, but once you realized that every badass skill you unlocked just meant tougher zombies popped out to murder you because using those skills makes more "noise" to attract them.

Games shouldn't punish you for being a badass. They're supposed to find that sweet spot where your power moves wreck poo poo but the initial challenge is still there.

And they really shouldn't rig the system so you grind for skills and then don't get to use them freely.

PowderKeg
Apr 5, 2003
Server's still up if you want in

64.94.95.162:22854

P:lljk

I haven't been on in a bit.. might hop on this weekend.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

xzzy posted:

Dying Light was really impressive for the first couple hours, but once you realized that every badass skill you unlocked just meant tougher zombies popped out to murder you because using those skills makes more "noise" to attract them.

Games shouldn't punish you for being a badass. They're supposed to find that sweet spot where your power moves wreck poo poo but the initial challenge is still there.

And they really shouldn't rig the system so you grind for skills and then don't get to use them freely.

I don't know what you're talking about. In Dying Light I distinctly remember feeling more and more badass as I gained levels. Yes, you start running into stronger/special zombies, but that happens only if you use skills that make noise, such as DIY bombs. There is nothing that prevents you from playing a silent killer though - the game lets you build your character that way if you want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I clocked out around the time I saved up for some sweet rear end ground pound type attack and got my poo poo pushed in for making too much noise.

I just wanted to gently caress up zombies and game said no. :smith:

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.
Ran into my first wastelands mercenary in WotW. They actually aggro you, unlike the NPC humans you come across in the wild, so you actually get to appreciate how dangerous NPCs can be. They do low damage but have hitscan at ~100 ft and tend to blend in, making them really dangerous. It was fun to get ganked after mindlessly dispatching a daytime horde.

Whenever TFP gets around to implementing NPC scavenger hordes, I think they should just add some write off questline and push to beta already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
They're busy redoing mocap animations and making vehicles where the wheels touch the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiLn3Y4BLHw