Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

hamburgers in pockets posted:

So, will this have any ramifications for Tokyo Xanadu? I've been waiting for the PS4 version so I have no idea if the Vita's translation was a shitshow like Ys 8, but it would be nice to have what seems like a much more dialogue heavy game with a non-babelfish translation.

Extremely unlikely, since that's Aksys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
honestly though if you are playing a ys series for dialogue you are probably playing the wrong series

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I heard Tok Xan on vita had a pretty shoddy loc but part of me kinda thinks that's Aksys shrugging off the version of the game that would sell the least with less actual stuff in it while they actually polish up and finish Ex+.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

exploded mummy posted:

honestly though if you are playing a ys series for dialogue you are probably playing the wrong series

Oh.

Zaggitz posted:

I heard Tok Xan on vita had a pretty shoddy loc but part of me kinda thinks that's Aksys shrugging off the version of the game that would sell the least with less actual stuff in it while they actually polish up and finish Ex+.

Please.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

There's a lot of it to sit through ever since like Ys 7, so it'd be nice if it was not terribly done given Falcom took the series from people that went above and beyond for them, also the voice acting has literally the same people who did Cold Steel so it shouldn't sound like they forgot how to act.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

exploded mummy posted:

That doesn't mean it's okay to put out a shoddy product with zero effort. And Ys8 probably has more story and dialogue than all the other Ys games put together.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yunica's story in Origin is Good. Simple, effective.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

exploded mummy posted:

Ys 8 was supposed to be the game which actually put effort into having a story and character arcs, bringing it closer to Kiseki in that regard. It just doesn't come through very well at all because NISA hosed it up completely. I still can't believe there are people elsewhere online defending NISA for having to relocalize the game from scratch and push the PC port back to December because it needs a major overhaul and still would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/0/1488861734121405654/

An update on the PC version. Probably gonna impact Durante's work on the CS2 PC port too.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 11, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mr. Fortitude posted:

would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

NO

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

in fairness I played it it ~Japanese~ and the only character who really has an arc is laxia, and the main story is mostly just people expositing things no matter the language. That said it's a shame to miss out on all the village people since they're plenty fun and the dialogue in some of the big moments in the story well done even if it doesn't come together super well.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I still can't believe there are people elsewhere online defending NISA for having to relocalize the game from scratch and push the PC port back to December because it needs a major overhaul and still would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

I am pretty sure that is only Nightwolfe.

Okay, probably not because people are dumb, but that is what I hope.

Yeah, that.
VVVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 11, 2017

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cake Attack posted:

in fairness I played it it ~Japanese~ and the only character who really has an arc is laxia, and the main story is mostly just people expositing things no matter the language. That said it's a shame to miss out on all the village people since they're plenty fun and the dialogue in some of the big moments in the story well done even if it doesn't come together super well.

if there's anything that xseed's locs have brought out in ys games it's the side characters, so that's what i'm really sad about yeah

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also evil doctors we'll meet again, adol!! and then he gets eaten by a dinosaur, as well as hummels reason for being on the ship are master strokes of writing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Also evil doctors we'll meet again, adol!! and then he gets eaten by a dinosaur, as well as hummels reason for being on the ship are master strokes of writing
both of those own

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

both of those own

i agree

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Terper posted:

Yunica's story in Origin is Good. Simple, effective.

Yeah, I kinda feel like Origins sort of shows the main issue with other Ys stories; they don't need to be amazing or whatever but when they happen around a mute kid who just wants to go on adventures without making the story as simple as YS 1/2 then it's hard to be invested. It'd be like if Sky 3rd starred Estelle and Joshua again even though it's Kevin's story.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
just make dogi the protagonist

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, but then I'd have to punch an ice dragon to death instead of...

Yeah, make Dogi the protagonist.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
*adol gets kidnapped by a wild flying shipwreck*

dogi: "I'M COMIN' TO SAVE YOU ADOL" *shoots fireball from fist*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Colonel posted:

*adol gets kidnapped by a wild flying shipwreck*

dogi: "I'M COMIN' TO SAVE YOU ADOL" *shoots fireball from fist*

I am ready for this to happen.

Someone please tell Falcom that Adol works better as the damsel in distress.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i've dug into a pile of pc98 falcom games and now i'm ready to be the only human being who still plays Advanced King Monarch

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

That doesn't mean it's okay to put out a shoddy product with zero effort. And Ys8 probably has more story and dialogue than all the other Ys games put together.

I never said it was! my Ys criteria has pretty much been #1 gameplay #2 music #3 scenery and plot in a distant fourth.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ys 8 was supposed to be the game which actually put effort into having a story and character arcs, bringing it closer to Kiseki in that regard. It just doesn't come through very well at all because NISA hosed it up completely. I still can't believe there are people elsewhere online defending NISA for having to relocalize the game from scratch and push the PC port back to December because it needs a major overhaul and still would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/0/1488861734121405654/

An update on the PC version. Probably gonna impact Durante's work on the CS2 PC port too.

Despite the translation issues, I kinda disagree, a lot of that does actually come through well in the end product. I think the bigger egregious sin is somehow loving up item effects and some names. (Also I'm not defending NISA at all so I'm not sure where that's coming from)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm still weirded out by people upset about Celceta's story. All I remember about that game was that it was fun as heck to play and the music rocked, exactly what I want out of an Ys game.

At any rate I guess it's a good thing I've been putting off Ys 8 to finish BOTW and Samus Returns.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I'm still early on in 8 so I may shelve it til they patch it. The translation is uneven at the very best and babelfish at the worst. It's enough to make me notice and really take me out of the experience. The rest of the game is fun as hell and probably the most fun I've had with Ys since Origin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

Despite the translation issues, I kinda disagree, a lot of that does actually come through well in the end product. I think the bigger egregious sin is somehow loving up item effects and some names. (Also I'm not defending NISA at all so I'm not sure where that's coming from)
'elsewhere online'

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
So is it true that there will be CS4? Was that confirmed?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

So is it true that there will be CS4? Was that confirmed?

Haven't seen any confirmation or anything, but I've heard here and there online that people who've finished CS3 say the game certainly leaves things open for one. That said, that could mean anything from "There's some stuff left unresolved" to "The game ends on a giant cliffhanger" though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I dunno if there's a CS4 labeled CS4, but there's a 900% chance of a new game. Possibly within the next year, similar to CS1->CS2.

Cause it ends worse than either FC or Trails 1.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

they haven't announced it officially but yes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
So it's an actual cliffhanger that would require another game in that setting to resolve, or something open ended that could probably be answered in the Calvard arc?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

So it's an actual cliffhanger that would require another game in that setting to resolve, or something open ended that could probably be answered in the Calvard arc?

A cliffhanger that makes CS1's look like a gentleslopehanger.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Most of the "just let NISA or aksys do everything from now on" that I've seen has been from people wanting japanese dubs over english localisation quality.

Coming from outside of english speaking countries I can at least somewhat understand the non-extreme forms of that opinion. They're already getting a translation of a translation at all times, which increases the chances that one, the other or both are of questionable quality, so having the original voices can help more than having another foreign dub's voices when stuff gets really messy. May not be the case with XSEED's work, but if they've been turned off by other releases by other companies in the past they wouldn't even buy it to know. And likely just read stuff online to confirm their choice like "XSEED's translations are garbage anyway, just look at Extella" and such.

Inside of english speaking countries I doubt many people hold that opinion.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I want to murder a child every time Tae refers to CS1 as Trails 1.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

OddObserver posted:

What's the story behind that? Did they ran out of time again and decided to split the game FC/SC style?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Dr. Fetus posted:

An Actual cliff hanger.

In hindsight, should've seen this coming when they added 90 million new characters, and only half of the og Crosbell crew.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Zaggitz posted:

I want to murder a child every time Tae refers to CS1 as Trails 1.

I strongly agree.

OddObserver posted:

For my mental health, I refuse to believe this is even possible.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

spoiler free explanation of cs3's cliffhanger: it literally cuts to black and credits in the middle of a super pivotal scene that follows a bunch of crazy events and reveals.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't even play cold steel 2 yet i don't have brain space to think about the ending of cold steel 3

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

MotU posted:

im gonna kiss towa idgaf what you or falcom say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zaggitz posted:

spoiler free explanation of cs3's cliffhanger: it literally cuts to black and credits in the middle of a super pivotal scene that follows a bunch of crazy events and reveals.

Oh sonuvabitch this is going to be the worst three years.