Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I went and looked it up on the wiki, because I wanted to be sure. I was wrong, lightning armor does not hurt on contact, only prevents damage. Melee counters do deal damage, just "very little" according to the wiki. A melee counter does shatter frozen enemies in 1 hit though, which we have seen. So, the more you know! :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Fun fact: because the Ice Beam did literally nothing to the matured Metroids in M2, I didn't even bother trying it in this game.

Battling Gammas without the Ice Beam is annoying as hell. Use the Ice Beam for that automatic counter moment whenever the opportunity arises, just to save your sanity. Of course, even with that, Zetas and Omegas are still way more fun, but we'll come to that.

Also, Mass Effect: Andromeda is great fun, it's just that for some reason people were expecting it to not be a Bioware game for some reason. Of course it's a bit janky! It's still great fun, although the grind in the multiplayer has progressed past 'taking the mick' to nightmarish. I got plenty of fun out of it, the same way Mass Effect 3 is magnificent as long as you decide the game ends in the scene transition just before the starchild turns up.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's weird, because I'm pretty sure the whole point was that the matured metroids lost their ice vulnerability, with the only tradeoff being they weren't completely invulnerable to everything else anymore. I guess someone forgot and nobody reminded anyone.

Jothan
Dec 18, 2013

Cheez posted:

It's weird, because I'm pretty sure the whole point was that the matured metroids lost their ice vulnerability, with the only tradeoff being they weren't completely invulnerable to everything else anymore. I guess someone forgot and nobody reminded anyone.

They lost most of their cold vulnerability, so they're not just a floating popsicle when exposed to it; this was also a plot point in Fusion.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
Just want to make a small note, that 22.2% is the percent of items you've collected in the current area, not total items collected

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Cheez posted:

This got quietly retconned back when Fusion came out. When you fight the Omega Metroid it's completely immune to all of your weaponry, but getting the Ice Beam allows you to harm it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Metroid vulnerabilities are whatever the game devs want them to be. In the Prime series there's larval Metroids that can be killed straight-up without freezing, for example.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

IIRC, in Metroid Prime you could kill Metroids with any weapon. Ice Beam was simply more effective. Power Bombs were a one-shot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Metroid vulnerabilities are whatever the game devs want them to be. In the Prime series there's larval Metroids that can be killed straight-up without freezing, for example.

I believe those ones actually have the excuse that they are incomplete clone metroids.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true
:siren:Update:siren:

Episode 7: How To Play Metroid

One replaced PSU later and we're back in the game.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Woo, onto a new area! I loving love the background details in this game. Both this and AM2R had a lot going on in them, but I feel SR does a lot better in making the areas feel desolate and lost, rather than simply unmanned work stations.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
In chronological order:

There's no shame in dying to Arachnus. M:SR is extremely stingy on e-tanks - you'll notice that that one was your third in two hours, and you really haven't been missing any obvious ones - the enemies hit hard, and it can take a little while to learn an enemy's pattern. I think the main reason they have checkpoints, despite all the frequent save stations, is that they fully expect all the minibosses to kill you once or twice. If you do replay it later, you'll blow through the game in half the real-terms time, in large part because you'll know what to do against all of these nasties.

I agree with Olive Branch in large part about XCOM. Enjoyable, great production values, but that hidden info and ambiguity is extremely frustrating to a player like me. There's definitely a reason why Mario & Rabbids has done well (reducing chances to 0%/50%/100% rather than letting you fire a 96% shot and still sometimes miss a lifesaving shot), and why Invisible, Inc. is my preferred stealthy TBS. Klei make a point of avoiding any of that "obfuscating information" nonsense.

That "empty area" at 21mins is another part of the Alpha's territory. If you do damage to it but don't kill it quickly enough, it'll flee further into the cavern.

And finally, I believe the Chozo's view on war, as far as we can tell, is best summed up as "Don't start poo poo and we won't Power Bomb your planet."

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
I'm not some huge Metroid aficionado, but I do like the games enjoyed Samus Returns. I only really have two complaints about it, one I can't bring up until pretty much the end of the game, but the other is that early on the counter mechanic seems to really slow down combat. Until you start getting beam weapon upgrades, it takes way too long to kill monsters before they attack, so I found myself sitting around waiting for them to attack so I could counter then kill them. I didn't care for it. Of course, late game you're just blowing most things away with your copious amounts of missiles and beam upgrades, so you really do start becoming an Avatar of Death (Samus would be Khornate) and it gets pretty awesome, but it's just really slow going at first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems a little weird to get both high jump and spider ball. I guess we'll be seeing slime walls all game long.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Glazius posted:

It seems a little weird to get both high jump and spider ball. I guess we'll be seeing slime walls all game long.
Not as much as you'd think. As everything is gated behind number of Metroids killed, it's a far different pattern here than in Super Metroid or most others, where the map is theoretically open completely to you if only you could jump higher/have Super Missiles/run faster etc., and where you can indeed usually cheat the system in some ways and break sequence. Metroid II (and its remake here) have no qualms just handing you movement options, because they won't allow you to just wander somewhere you're not supposed to yet - there's acid in the way.

There will still be some walls you can't climb on because of spikes in the way somewhere, but generally it's allowed to go wherever there's a wall from now on. Later things are gated with higher beam upgrades, screw attack blocks etc., so just more direct "can't go there yet, pal" blockades rather than room geometry obstacles.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 8: Other M Is [...] Good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I donno how far in advance you are, but the metroid right at the end of the video is easy to miss if you take the wrong path out and forget things were flashing. If you *do* wind up not finding it and one short by the end, check every grid square in the area even if it seems pointless.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I am only about 15 minutes into the video, so forgive me if you figure it out after that point... but you do not have to switch to the Grapple Beam. If you're aiming at a grapple target, it switches automatically. The game told you this and you read it out loud.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Please please please just fight bug swarms by turning on the Lightning Armor and doing a single melee swing

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Look, we're not smart men

Although I never did think to try the Lightning Armor + Melee Swing for the hordes, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The point of the fleeing gammas is 100% to be annoying, yes. Especially for speedruns.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It almost feels like those gammas are more dangerous on the ground, between the lightning channel and the variable charge.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
You can also shoot missiles at the bugs! They have a small AoE which doesn't really matter except for this one thing. Basically everything other than your default beam wrecks them. I haven't tried fake Screw Attack but I guess it might work?

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Aithon posted:

You can also shoot missiles at the bugs! They have a small AoE which doesn't really matter except for this one thing. Basically everything other than your default beam wrecks them. I haven't tried fake Screw Attack but I guess it might work?

I've tested that out a number of times; either that technique doesn't work without Space Jump, or you need a stronger beam than what Maple Leaf has right now. Either way, the game counts those swarms as individual enemies, and the pseudo-Screw Attack as an individual attack, so it'd only hit one of them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Maple Leaf posted:

Look, we're not smart men

Although I never did think to try the Lightning Armor + Melee Swing for the hordes, I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

When you got the Lightning Armor it tells you it empowers the melee attack then sics a bug swarm on you. So it's more or less trying to see if you figure it out from there.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Glazius posted:

It almost feels like those gammas are more dangerous on the ground, between the lightning channel and the variable charge.

No they are more dangerous in the air in my opinion. Grounding them quickly is just best to avoid being killed by their more dangerous attacks. They still do the lightning breath and a shockwave in the air.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Either way, once you have the Plasma Beam (assuming it pierces enemies), the actual Screw Attack, or the Speed Booster, you probably wreck them.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 9: We Done Goofed

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Part of the big spaces staying big could be the scan pulse as well. They help make it so that a single pulse doesn't reveal a half a dozen upgrades at once so that they can be used sparingly the way yall are. Doesn't change the problem that the rooms are big and empty though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Olive Branch was completely right about grapple beam swinging: all you really need to do to hit a second grapple point midair is to vaguely move the control stick towards it (in other words, simply diagonally) and press Y. The game knows what you're trying to do, no need to aim with L or anything.

I was trying to overthink it in the beginning too though so I'm not surprised to see anyone fumble with it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Also it shows up, like, three times. Grappling is much more often a tool you can take a breath for than a reflex thing, and even then you're not aiming for a moving (relative to you) target.

And you guys aint the only ones for that "done goofed" moment.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

One of the things I didn't care for in the game is how enemies respawn. It isn't tied to unloading and reloading the room, it's tied to either some arbitrary distance or time counter. Really irritating when low on health or something else and you have to go somewhere else to try and top it off.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Sometimes I get slightly frustrated when you waste time (although that is the nature of the beast of a blind run), but I couldn't help but laugh when your energy stockpile through the lava ended up being a waste.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. Purple is a pretty significant color for Metroid, come to think of it. Can't think of another game right now that it's so strongly associated with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Glazius posted:

Huh. Purple is a pretty significant color for Metroid, come to think of it. Can't think of another game right now that it's so strongly associated with.

Saints Row

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

get that OUT of my face posted:

Sometimes I get slightly frustrated when you waste time (although that is the nature of the beast of a blind run), but I couldn't help but laugh when your energy stockpile through the lava ended up being a waste.

You are gonna hate the next episode

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Without looking it up, I'm going to guess that the music was made by Kenji Yamamoto. The tracks have that chanting and voices that were all over the Metroid Prime trilogy.

Typically, producers don't have a say in the creative process, so I imagine that Nintendo gave Sakamoto that position because of it. So far, it's blissfully free of the bizarre micromanaging decisions that defined Other M. It looks like an old 2D Metroid game, just with graphical tweaks and a new combat element.

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Episode 10: You've Had Your Fun

I realized what I did wrong and why we got so stuck during editing.
We're both idiots and I'll get right back on track as soon as I clean up the mess I did at the end of the video.
I am so sorry. Feel free to point and laugh, we deserve it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maple Leaf posted:

Episode 10: You've Had Your Fun

I realized what I did wrong and why we got so stuck during editing.
We're both idiots and I'll get right back on track as soon as I clean up the mess I did at the end of the video.
I am so sorry. Feel free to point and laugh, we deserve it.
Before watching: This oughtta be fun. :allears:

After watching: Note that there is a map key in the Settings tab of the map screen (the "i"). And IIRC, the empty circles are used pretty much exclusively for Missile packs and maybe Energy Tanks (although I think they have their own icon); actual upgrades appear differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I have to wonder how many people were actually stumped by robohead.

• Locked thread