Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

breath of the wild was/is really goddamn good and if you play with the weapons system instead of bitching about it it's really fun, i promise

like, all your enemies have weapons too, so all the weapon durability poo poo does is means that you have a guaranteed critical hit right when you need it, it owns

if botw had proper dungeons it would probably be hands-down the best game of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Meme Emulator posted:

Have you even played the game?

20 or 40 hours idk

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

geralt isn't grimdark, but since he's a traditionally masculine protagonist with an agenda that's not strictly aligned with a moral code, he and the world he lives in can seem grimdark just by virtue of daring to simulate aspects of life that aren't totally escapist in nature with a buff dude in a monster hunting profession with a hint of the 'tism.

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.
Guys, The Witcher 3 has bad combat and following a red trail with detective vision isn't fun.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yes it is. In fact it's so self-evidently fun that I refuse to type any further in justification of it and will now simply call you a retard and be done with you.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007

The Dennis System posted:

Guys, The Witcher 3 has bad combat and following a red trail with detective vision isn't fun.

And here's my hot take: the ending to the main story is also bad and the system that determines it is really dumb

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Sorry you're a loving bad dad rear end in a top hat doesnt make the game bad you abusive fucker

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

basic hitler posted:

Sorry you're a loving bad dad rear end in a top hat doesnt make the game bad you abusive fucker

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I found the Witcher 3 kinda boring and I never finished it, but calling it a bad game is bullshit.

Also re: RPGs with good combat, Amalur comes to mind. Moving and attacking felt fast and fluid. I would kill for an Elder Scrolls game where I had that sense of agility.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

basic hitler posted:

Not making my daughter sad or depressed is such an inscrutable system! 1/10 stars.,

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Willing to hear suggestions for good fantasy RPG action combat.

World of Warcraft. Fight me.

Not that there's anything else good about WoW but I have to admit that game's PvP was some of the most fun PvP I've ever had in any game, FPS games included. Maybe that doesn't count though because anything played against another person will always be more fun because you'll always view the stakes as higher. Still though, even when I was just killing mobs in that game years and years ago, I really liked the combat system.

I'd also say Souls games but I'm not sure if they count.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 9, 2017

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I found the Witcher 3 kinda boring and I never finished it, but calling it a bad game is bullshit.

Personally i dont think it's bad, I mean I found it entertaining enough to finish the complete edition, it's just the combat, loot, quest design, leveling system and role playing that are bad.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
maybe they seem bad if ur retarded? just trying to be helpful here

yes, all quests in all games boil down to following a paper trail until you find an item or a monster, so thanks for your insightful critique that W3 also follows this formula like literally 100% of rpgs, it's the extra touches and the polish that make or break a game.

the leveling system is pretty good, did you miss assigning numbers to stats or something? it certainly allows decent variety for a game that forces you to be a sword guy.

"role playing bad", is that an attempt at "bad writing" aka the most pointless argument ever made by a human?

like if your conclusion is that all games in this genre of open world rpg are bad, then maybe its just not a genre for you and your opinions dont quite matter for anybody else

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Oct 9, 2017

kilinrax
Oct 27, 2014

Those eyes ... they disappeared.

steinrokkan posted:

the leveling system is pretty good

It's an interesting system, but trivial to break, and without even picking broken skills the game isn't hard past level 12 and, barring DLC content, utterly trivial beyond level 30.

That is my main complaint with an otherwise great game though. Power curve leveling makes sense when your character starts as someone with negligible practical skill, in Fallout for instance. It makes none with Geralt.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's something that never really made sense past the first game.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The Dennis System posted:

This is correct, these are the bad things about Witcher 3. Although they at least managed to make following a red line interesting by having Geralt go "Hmmm looks like a bunch of ectoplasm, this has to be a pesta" and doing CSI: Monster edition

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure there's a fantasy RPG with good action/adventure combat. There's fantasy RPGs with good turn-based combat, and pew pew RPGs with good action combat, but I don't know if there's a mixture of the two. Even the best fantasy RPGs with action combat were good in spite of it, not because of it.

Willing to hear suggestions for good fantasy RPG action combat.

Dark Souls!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i really hope that the continued inexplicable success of dark souls makes from make stuff like king's field again

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Eela6 posted:

Dark Souls!

:chloe:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
W3 isn't that easy of a game on Death March. Not truly difficult, but intermittently challenging especially if you're not bothered to power game and chug lots of potions. It's also got a tinge of the JRPG about it in that if you take your sweet time you can trivialise lots of quests by doing lots of exploration and leveling up and doing all your green quests that you're overleveled for.

It's a loving trodden topic in this thread anyway, have some different unpopular videogame opinions people. W3, yes, it's loving amazing, probably a litmus test for whether you have any taste in games at all unless you just hate RPGs.

How about:

Deus Ex: HR, despite the level of polish and some cool ideas, was a railroaded, garbage game with an insulting claim to offering the player choice and consequential actions, with a much worse ending than even the base ME3 ending.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jeza posted:

W3 isn't that easy of a game on Death March. Not truly difficult, but intermittently challenging especially if you're not bothered to power game and chug lots of potions. It's also got a tinge of the JRPG about it in that if you take your sweet time you can trivialise lots of quests by doing lots of exploration and leveling up and doing all your green quests that you're overleveled for.

It's a loving trodden topic in this thread anyway, have some different unpopular videogame opinions people. W3, yes, it's loving amazing, probably a litmus test for whether you have any taste in games at all unless you just hate RPGs.

How about :

Deus Ex: HR, despite the level of polish and some cool ideas, was a railroaded, garbage game with an insulting claim to offering the player choice and consequential actions, with a much worse ending than even the base ME3 ending.

Then again HR was fun to play

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

^^^ not really, the cover shooting was mediocre and if you took even one or two hits you had to hide in cover for your health to slowly regen. The energy system was garbage and you had to wait for it to recharge one bar to do one cool thing then go wait for it to recharge again.

Jeza posted:

How about :

Im trying to find a way to disagree and can't really. I like the game but yeah in hindsight it was kinda meh. I'd argue the ending bit though; the ending was garbage yeah but me3s ending was a garbage ending to a trilogy that spanned 5 years and likely took most players 60 hours minimum to get through.

really queer Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 10, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

a bunch of dudes in pyf got really mad at me for saying dx:hr's ending was really bad, that's when i started hanging out there way less

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

food court bailiff posted:

i really hope that the continued inexplicable success of dark souls makes from make stuff like king's field again

I hope the y make Lost Kingdoms 3

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Also the success of Dark Souls isnt inexplicable, because its a well made game, its just todays climate fr making games makes Dark Souls something that was inexplicably allowed to be created.

Then again Japanese games were always allowed to be inscrutable and opaque way more than western games were

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
FFVII isn't even the best Final Fantasy game for the PS1.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Meme Emulator posted:

Also the success of Dark Souls isnt inexplicable, because its a well made game, its just todays climate fr making games makes Dark Souls something that was inexplicably allowed to be created.

Then again Japanese games were always allowed to be inscrutable and opaque way more than western games were

you say all of this like from wasn't making good-but-inscrutable-and-loving-weird games for decades that nobody has ever heard of

it is definitely inexplicable

Cymbal Monkey posted:

speak truth to power my man

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Yeah, final fantasy 4 and chrono trigger in one package was awesome, I agree. Those loading times.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 10, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

realtalk ff8 probably isn't the best but it's my favorite cuz it's interesting visually, does something different with the battle system so you don't really need to grind (well, you do sometimes, but not as much or in the same way), but my favorite thing of all is that one of the first things you can interact with after the intro tells you that all the magic poo poo you do causes severe amnesia and then the player forgets about that poo poo until they replay the game ten years after getting upset at the amnesia bullshit

talk about ludonarrative consistency

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Was it Tactics? Because it was.

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cymbal Monkey posted:

That might be an unpopular opinion among retards. Anyone worth their salt knows IX and Tactics are much much better. IV, V, and VI are all better too.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

really queer Christmas posted:

^^^ not really, the cover shooting was mediocre and if you took even one or two hits you had to hide in cover for your health to slowly regen. The energy system was garbage and you had to wait for it to recharge one bar to do one cool thing then go wait for it to recharge again.

You're not supposed to be a god in this game. If the powers and health recharged instantly you'd have a game suitable for idiots. You have a shooter/rpg hybrid with a multiple angles of approach made after the year 2000. That's kind of unheard of, and it's sad that people don't appreciate it more. But that's why we get CoD 8539 and not a sequel to divided I guess.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 11, 2017

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

i'm pretty sure the reason there's no sequel to divided is because it shipped without an ending, which is kind of a big no-no for your oh-so-great not-CoD rpg-shooter-hybrid, and it got justifiably panned for it

wait no you're right it's definitely because nobody is as smart as you and can appreciate the candybar munching action of a game that sold millions of copies across multiple consoles and editions, clearly this game that scored 9/10 from most outlets despite its obvious flaws is an unappreciated gem that only you truly understand and acknowledge as the transcendental experience it is

you g d retard

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Deus Ex HR's mechanics sucked.

The energy pip system was completely, irredeemably retarded and made by people who couldn't think 5 minutes in front of their faces. We'll let the last pip recharge on its own so the player won't be totally left out in the cold. Yeah, go us. Oh wait we didn't consider at all how that actually affects the player as far as incentives to actually play the game go, which is that the player is now rewarded for waiting around and not doing anything while the pips recharge, which they will be doing all the time because you only have one and it took forever.

Also as a side note, the most annoying thing about Deus Ex, HR wasn't the energy system, it was the shooting, specifically the bullets. I played with silenced sniper rifles in that game so it was more obvious this way but... the bullets themselves were hitscan, but the bullet sprites were not, they were slow moving projectiles. What this meant was that if you shot somebody with a sniper rifle who was far away, they would react and fall down instantly as they got hit by the hitscan bullet... but the "bullet" sprite wouldn't even reach them until they were on the ground.

For me, Deus Ex HR's combat looked about as real as a WWE wrestling match. Every character seemed like they knew beforehand when every bullet was coming and were so excited about playing along that they always dove for the ground too early.

I've never felt so patronized in a video game. lol.

Standard DXHR Enemy:
"Oh crap here he is. Shhhh! Ok everybody you know what to do."
"Ahem... AAAHHHH, you got me! I have been bested by your superior stealth combat skills! Curse you!"
*gently lays down in comfortable position and closes eyes*

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 11, 2017

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Robokomodo posted:

Was it Tactics? Because it was.

It's actually FF8

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It's actually FF8

Any person who doesn't know this does not like games.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Deus Ex HR's mechanics sucked.

The energy pip system was completely, irredeemably retarded and made by people who couldn't think 5 minutes in front of their faces. We'll let the last pip recharge on its own so the player won't be totally left out in the cold. Yeah, go us. Oh wait we didn't consider at all how that actually affects the player as far as incentives to actually play the game go, which is that the player is now rewarded for waiting around and not doing anything while the pips recharge, which they will be doing all the time because you only have one and it took forever.

Also as a side note, the most annoying thing about Deus Ex, HR wasn't the energy system, it was the shooting, specifically the bullets. I played with silenced sniper rifles in that game so it was more obvious this way but... the bullets themselves were hitscan, but the bullet sprites were not, they were slow moving projectiles. What this meant was that if you shot somebody with a sniper rifle who was far away, they would react and fall down instantly as they got hit by the hitscan bullet... but the "bullet" sprite wouldn't even reach them until they were on the ground.

For me, Deus Ex HR's combat looked about as real as a WWE wrestling match. Every character seemed like they knew beforehand when every bullet was coming and were so excited about playing along that they always dove for the ground too early.

I've never felt so patronized in a video game. lol.

Standard DXHR Enemy:
"Oh crap here he is. Shhhh! Ok everybody you know what to do."
"Ahem... AAAHHHH, you got me! I have been bested by your superior stealth combat skills! Curse you!"
*gently lays down in comfortable position and closes eyes*

*in an extremely ditty bout my clitty voice* maybe you should go back to COD you loving CASUAL

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

*looks at a game literally titled deus ex: human revolution*

"well, you're not supposed to be a god..."

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug
DXHR's mechanics aren't great but its biggest problem is that its protagonist is a humorless, boring prick in a humorless, boring world. The original Deus Ex's mechanics weren't stellar either but at least you got to play as autistic secret agent superman firing rockets at Illuminati dinosaurs in an undersea laboratory. 90% of your time in HR is spent fighting bland soldiers in office spaces

And then Mankind Divided took itself even MORE seriously ("mechanical apartheid" lol), made the cover shooting even MORE obtrusive, and shipped a half-baked game with microtransaction bullshit bolted on. It flopped for good reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

DXHR had the best cover system animations of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vVgYU