Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sapozhnik posted:

pug is fine. as templating engines go it's quite nice. it at least operates on node trees, whereas literally 90% of templating engines don't even do that, they just stringbash poo poo together (but you can use it for non-html output too! aren't we so amazingly flexible? :downs:)

the bigger question is why are you using a server-side javascript templating library. this implies that you are using server-side javascript. if you are using from hexo to compile a static site then it is fine, otherwise lol

that being said my personal preferences on templating engines are a little wacky. i'm glad we have things like reactjs now which shake up that whole model on a more fundamental level.

Nope, its webapp being made with vue (it consumes data from an existing API). I asked him "why use that?", he insists that he is much more productive using it cause he types a lot less

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im learning data.table and while syntax weird, its real loving good otherwise

you crack open the seal on one of these and there is just a wiki wormhole of Interesting Math That You Don't Really Understand waiting for you.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ultravoices posted:

you crack open the seal on one of these and there is just a wiki wormhole of Interesting Math That You Don't Really Understand waiting for you.

its mostly computer math on implementation i think, which seldom interest me. i really do low blazing speed even on stupid joins like 100k x 100k crossjoin with roughly 20% row overlap (or whavtever, resultant frame is a mil)

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

god i loving hate json

it's really bad, op

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

my current team is obsessed with "pull requests" so I routinely slip poo poo like this into unrelated PRs to reduce the amount of paperwork I do

pull request is a stupid loving term for a commit

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

pull request is a stupid loving term for a commit

its just dumb for being called pull request. i get it, repo owner pulls it in, but i push it and reading

<repoowner>: ask me to ask me to accept this

is lame

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

iirc pull request is a dumb term that github invented / popularized, it's not part of git

gitlab for example calls them 'merge requests' which makes a lot more sense

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

we deprecated everything except IE11.

We don't even support IE11.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
merge request is a stupid term too cause its not a request, its a notification. the code has already changed, there was no request to authorize, and the owner of the code change is going to continue using it. whether you decide to merge it with your own repo is up to you and your company's policies. its one of the core problems with distributed version control.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

merge request is a stupid term too cause its not a request, its a notification. the code has already changed, there was no request to authorize, and the owner of the code change is going to continue using it. whether you decide to merge it with your own repo is up to you and your company's policies. its one of the core problems with distributed version control.

you absolutely do authorize pull/merge requests though, the code has not changed in origin until that

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no you don't. they already made the change in their own repo and that's where it matters. the fact that you haven't brought it into your own repo just means your repo is out of date compared to what the originating developer is working with

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

no you don't. they already made the change in their own repo and that's where it matters. the fact that you haven't brought it into your own repo just means your repo is out of date compared to what the originating developer is working with
someone's local report is the last thing of concern to literally anyone

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
despite it being the only one that matters because its what people are working in

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
working in separate branches is bad and dumb and allows spergs to hide their code and postpone integration work until the last second

this makes programmers feel good, but it slows the team down

integrate early, integrate often. just say no to intra-team* "pull requests."

* pull requests are a great model for collaborating with people outside your immediate group! a ticket is opened, code reviews are tracked centrally, and there's a clear junction point between new and old code.

not so great for trying to do continuous integration of a dozen contributors all working together in the same room

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

e: ^ does anyone irl do intra-team/branch pull requests?

Shaggar posted:

despite it being the only one that matters because its what people are working in
what matters is the final product in a usable state, stored at origin, not experiments or ongoing developments anywhere else. when its done, and passes code review/ci/whatever have you else on the merge pipeline, then it actually exists for anyone except the subset who worked on it.

either way the argument is about pull requests being requests not notifications and at this rate i feel we can pour water between two buckets for 3 pages to semantically compare "notification of completion of a release candidate" and "request to accept/review the completed work"

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had our front-end guys change all our error messages on the front-end to "your internet connection is not available" and it cut down like 90% of the bullshit we were dealing with.

pro tactic

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i work with a bunch of clownshoes idiots who all keep individual branches for every loving feature worked on

30-50% of all code written is dropped on the floor because it is not merged quickly, and then something else is on fire, and then the old branch is no longer easily mergeable (and never had any integration done anyway!)

there are hundreds of abandoned PRs. a trail of broken dreams and unfinished "features"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

what matters is the final product in a usable state, stored at origin, not experiments or ongoing developments anywhere else. when its done, and passes code review/ci/whatever have you else on the merge pipeline, then it actually exists for anyone except the subset who worked on it.

this is called your release branch :q:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i had our front-end guys change all our error messages on the front-end to "your internet connection is not available" and it cut down like 90% of the bullshit we were dealing with.

lmoa

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i work with a bunch of clownshoes idiots who all keep individual branches for every loving feature worked on

30-50% of all code written is dropped on the floor because it is not merged quickly, and then something else is on fire, and then the old branch is no longer easily mergeable (and never had any integration done anyway!)

there are hundreds of abandoned PRs. a trail of broken dreams and unfinished "features"
that doesn't sound too good

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
how on earth do you work with a dozen people on a thing without branches? i rarely work with more than 3 people on a branch but i routinely see commits of people who forgot to pull before pushing and had to loudly merge into themselves whilst complaining

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

either way the argument is about pull requests being requests not notifications and at this rate i feel we can pour water between two buckets for 3 pages to semantically compare "notification of completion of a release candidate" and "request to accept/review the completed work"

my point is that calling it a request is a company policy thing and nothing to do with git which only has notifications. the fact that you must create a policy around notifications in git is one of its failings, but one that's general to distributed version control.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Corla Plankun posted:

how on earth do you work with a dozen people on a thing without branches? i rarely work with more than 3 people on a branch but i routinely see commits of people who forgot to pull before pushing and had to loudly merge into themselves whilst complaining

i imagine he is talking about say, and ui window, and then bob has branch for a dropdown box for file menu, thomas has a branch for background colour, etc

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that doesn't sound too good

it is not good.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shaggar posted:

my point is that calling it a request is a company policy thing and nothing to do with git which only has notifications. the fact that you must create a policy around notifications in git is one of its failings, but one that's general to distributed version control.
while i sort-of agree, im not sure what would then make git request-pull a request in your eyes

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Corla Plankun posted:

you walk over and slap those idiots for breaking master

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Man I wish MS would just drop support for this garbage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

Man I wish MS would just drop support for this garbage

so many governments would destroy them over this i imagine

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

while i sort-of agree, im not sure what would then make git request-pull a request in your eyes

request is a bad term for the version control system to use, but if your company wants to use it during their process its fine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
IE11 and Edge are the only browsers worth supporting. lol if you write for adware like chome or failfox or one offs like slowfari

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Elias_Maluco posted:

Nope, its webapp being made with vue (it consumes data from an existing API). I asked him "why use that?", he insists that he is much more productive using it cause he types a lot less

the guys behind react and jsx make a compelling point: you can embed an """expression language""" in html, or you can embed html in an actual programming language. even if the latter looks a bit weird. who loving cares, i would love "weird syntax" to be the biggest problem to face me in my day to day.

it's all well and good and neat and elegant to say you're going to make a tree of data objects to display and then "just" pick items out of it and iterate over them to create html. except that's never how it works. ever. your view considerations will pollute the controller and your controller considerations will pollute the view. mvc is bullshit.

i haven't looked at vue much but it seems like yet another mvc thing.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

IE11 and Edge are the only browsers worth supporting. lol if you write for adware like chome or failfox or one offs like slowfari

IE11 is super out of date wrt web standards and you know it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
css grids are probably the only worthwhile thing its out of date on, but that's only cause it invented css grids and has its own css for it

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 11, 2017

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shaggar posted:

css grids are probably the only worthwhile thing its out of date on, but that's only cause it evented css grids and has its own css for it

lol "evented"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol auto correct

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but yeah theres not really much in web "standards" that's worthwhile aside from some CSS features that are still largely browser dependent.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sapozhnik posted:

mvc is bullshit

webdev is bullshit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mvc/mvvm is the least bad way to do web "development" and razor is the best way to do mvc/mvvm.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaggar posted:

but yeah theres not really much in web "standards" that's worthwhile aside from some CSS features that are still largely browser dependent.

"largely browser dependent" is tough when you are coming from behind, shaggar

as it stands today, The Browser That Matters is chrome. any deviation from chrome behavior is a disincentive for developers to support your niche browser with no users.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't really care if something works on the android browser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
90s Java Developers With Opinions On Web Development