Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
standard ml looks like the sort of language i wish i was programming in when i do javascript or java

gonna learn it one of these days

apparently i have to roll my own async/await using call/cc though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

^fff^ uck .me !!! that is a lot of operators

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
classic perl 6 https://www.reddit.com/r/perl6/comments/r44do/is_perl6_code_unreadable/

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

perl owns

Sapozhnik posted:

standard ml looks like the sort of language i wish i was programming in when i do javascript or java

elm

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

I remember trivially making the runtime segfault in 2005 or so

Forget what I had done tho

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Sapozhnik posted:

why not use scsh instead

let the parentheses into your heart

eschaton fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 3, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
from the scsh manual:

Olin Shivers posted:

Acknowledgements

Who should I thank? My so-called “colleagues,” who laugh at me behind my back, all the while becoming famous on my work? My worthless graduate students, whose computer skills appear to be limited to downloading bitmaps off of netnews? My parents, who are still waiting for me to quit “fooling around with computers,” go to med school, and become a radiologist? My department chairman, a manager who gives one new insight into and sympathy for disgruntled postal workers?

My God, no one could blame me — no one! — if I went off the edge and just lost it completely one day. I couldn't get through the day as it is without the Prozac and Jack Daniels I keep on the shelf, behind my Tops-20 JSYS manuals. I start getting the shakes real bad around 10am, right before my advisor meetings. A 10 oz. Jack 'n Zac helps me get through the meetings without one of my students winding up with his severed head in a bowling-ball bag. They look at me funny; they think I twitch a lot. I'm not twitching. I'm controlling my impulse to snag my 9mm Sig-Sauer out from my day-pack and make a few strong points about the quality of undergraduate education in Amerika.

If I thought anyone cared, if I thought anyone would even be reading this, I'd probably make an effort to keep up appearances until the last possible moment. But no one does, and no one will. So I can pretty much say exactly what I think.

Oh, yes, the acknowledgements. I think not. I did it. I did it all, by myself.

Olin Shivers
Cambridge
September 4, 1994

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Poopernickel posted:

I've done an awful lot of Vivado scripting - my takeaway is that TCL is actually a p. dece language, except for the fact that it's completely unlike everything else out there.

also I'm not the biggest fan of "everything is a string" scripting languages

i mean, precisely true that everything-is-a-string is not that scalable an idea, but in tcl it makes makes for a very smooth surface area for someone not there to write actual tcl programs to get some things done, very few actual surprises with a tiny mental model

so precisely tiny scripts, configuration dsl fragments where in 99% of the cases the use will be a linear list of unconditional commands, and then not suffering too badly if one slides over into that being a more substantial extension if the needs grow

it remains rather fantastic to be able to then also pop a small gui from such an extension with minimal effort

but, spilt milk these days either way

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Perl 5 also gets a whole bunch of entirely warranted hate.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
perl, like most plangs, is a write once read never language. difference is perl doesn't pretend otherwise :v:

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
i guess if you use perl long enough you might get used to its weirdness but i doubt you can convince new people that casting an array to a scalar to get the length makes since

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Olin Shivers posted:

I was born and raised in Atlanta, Georgia, majored in mathematics and Computer
Science at Yale University, and I got my PhD in Computer Science at CMU. I've
lived in Paris, Hong Kong, Peking, and New Jersey.

I tend to look for weak, uncertain students and feed off of their
insecurities; by preying on their poor self-images, I manage to temporarily
assuage my own feelings of inadequacy and failure. I've also found
undergraduate advising to be a terrific vehicle for venting a lot
of my own pent-up rage and frustration.

I'm not sure if this counts as a philosophy, but it's the closest thing I've
got to an "advising style."

:allears:

edit: more gold in view-source:http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/shivers/

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 3, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
mods please change my name to 10 oz. Jack and Zac

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

i guess if you use perl long enough you might get used to its weirdness but i doubt you can convince new people that casting an array to a scalar to get the length makes since

and yet everyone's fine with python, where everything's an object that you call methods on. unless you want to get the length of a list, of course, in which case you have to pass it to this special len() function instead

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Soricidus posted:

and yet everyone's fine with python, where everything's an object that you call methods on. unless you want to get the length of a list, of course, in which case you have to pass it to this special len() function instead

I want it on the record that I dislike that as well.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

posting on page 420

pram
Jun 10, 2001

incredibly epic

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

new systemd out, it has some new stuff to keep you from cluttering your /etc/passwd

Dynamic Users with systemd

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Tankakern posted:

new systemd out, it has some new stuff to keep you from cluttering your /etc/passwd

The not allowing system processes to create files outside of the sandbox and auto deletion on shutdown is pretty neat.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Tankakern posted:

Very cool

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Not a new feature, but I just noticed this

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html#IPv6PrefixDelegation=

Looks like I can finally drop kick radvd into the garbage if I'm reading this right (wide-dhcp6c is still required though, for now)

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Doom Mathematic posted:

Then why isn't

Bash code:
#!/bin/bash -e

if [ == "" ]; then
  echo "what"
  exit 1
fi

echo "OK"
a syntax error? It runs and prints "OK".
if-predicates and other conditional constructs are specifically excluded from the effect of the -e option, since otherwise it would be completely useless as an error trap

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

There Will Be Penalty posted:

haha, not sure how case could be implemented without being built in to the shell.
C code:
argv++;
char *word = *argv++;
argv++; // "in"
while (*argv) {
  if (strcmp(word, *argv++) == 0) {
    int delim = find_case_delim(argv); // find a ;; token or end of arguments
    argv[delim] = NULL;
    execvp(argv[0], argv);
  }
  else {
    int delim = find_case_delim(argv);
    argv += delim;
    if (*argv) argv++;
  }
}
return 0;
pattern matching and punctuation are left as an exercise

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 9, 2017

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
see also: goto.c, if.c

(the goto program doesn't work in modern Unix since it depended on child processes inheriting file descriptors in place, not as duplicates)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

haha, unix, history of horrible hacks

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

if-predicates and other conditional constructs are specifically excluded from the effect of the -e option, since otherwise it would be completely useless as an error trap

I said a syntax error, not a run-time error.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Doom Mathematic posted:

I said a syntax error, not a run-time error.
1. the error from [ is a syntax error with respect to the [ builtin's own syntax, and referred to as such in the source code, so that's not a clear distinction.
2. [ is built into the shell as a command that operates on its argument list, like the echo builtin, not as a grammar token

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

sup fellow fat politics goon

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

excuse me but its called the unix philosophy

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

excuse me but its called the unix philosophy

more or less what i meant to imply yeah

i am not that sure it is even wrong anymore though. who can tell now that windows phone is finally dead. what are you going to do shaggar? my own 950 is unfortunately additionally dinged by a hard life, so i will have to make up my mind up pretty soon

apple seems to be the one remaining adult in the room on updates, which is almost a prerequisite, but they are also clearly just trying to be bang olufsen at this rate, and not even bang olufsen wants to be bang olufsen

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the hp winphone goes into a dumpster sale I might grab one of those as a stop gap. its really kind of lovely for phones right now cause I use some win10 specific features that aren't available on ios and are sort of available on android but I don't want an android.

you're probably stuck w/ an iPhone 8 unless you wanna risk all the Linux on a Samsung or goog phone.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

i've only seen the linux sucks videos; when did this guy become such a dullard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPgyTzqDJhM

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Generic Monk posted:

"become"

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Generic Monk posted:

do I want to watch even a second of this op, I think clicking on the link probs already polluted my youtube recommendations

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

1. the error from [ is a syntax error with respect to the [ builtin's own syntax, and referred to as such in the source code, so that's not a clear distinction.
2. [ is built into the shell as a command that operates on its argument list, like the echo builtin, not as a grammar token

But why doesn't Bash check the syntax of a call to its own builtin before run time? If it's an external executable with a funny name, fine, but the builtin is right there. :psyduck:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i'm glad YouTube Herpes is (mostly) no longer a thing and you can click "don't ever loving show me anything like this poo poo again" on its recommendations now

good to see Google demonstrating even a minimal level of competence for once

the recs are still kinda bizarre though. Like I watched two (2) speedruns of Cuphead and now it thinks I really fuckin like me some Cuphead

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah they're very bad at recommendations because its based on whats trending and what other people watch instead of being based on the content + quality.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Doom Mathematic posted:

But why doesn't Bash check the syntax of a call to its own builtin before run time? If it's an external executable with a funny name, fine, but the builtin is right there. :psyduck:

at a guess, bash checks $PATH before it checks its builtins to cater to the tendency of linux nerds to write their own custom hacks. this isn't as common a situation as it used to be, but bash isn't exactly new software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sapozhnik posted:

i'm glad YouTube Herpes is (mostly) no longer a thing and you can click "don't ever loving show me anything like this poo poo again" on its recommendations now

good to see Google demonstrating even a minimal level of competence for once

the recs are still kinda bizarre though. Like I watched two (2) speedruns of Cuphead and now it thinks I really fuckin like me some Cuphead

ya it's bad. i can always tell it's monday because i watch one regular car reviews and my front page suddenly wants me to watch everything doug demuro has ever published