Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

my poor boy Doomfist doesn't even get a Halloween victory pose? That's some bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sockser posted:

my poor boy Doomfist doesn't even get a Halloween victory pose? That's some bullshit.

Since they nerfed him he's been languishing in Hanzo tier so they probably figured why bother.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Wildtortilla posted:

About once a month I play QP if I'm too sleepy to play comp and I still don't understand why anyone plays this. Every match is a cluster gently caress and a disaster.

No one gives me poo poo for being a garbage player who picks Torbjorn. :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Any other ideas for how to maximize misery for anyone other than the person playing Mercy?

Yeah speed up Zen's balls and give them the arrow hitbox

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
how about fixing zenyatta's horrible horrible hitboxes if you're gonna buff him

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Zenyatta legit does not need a buff, he's been one of the dominant supports for a good chunk of the game's lifecycle, only really seeing little play during the dominance of Beyblade/Triple Tank, and when he died to a stiff breeze.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

dogstile posted:

I'm pretty sure they turned the dupe avoidance thing off, considering my last 15 lootboxes have all been dupes and i'm what, level 500 or so? It's not enough to have everything.

try taking a look at your common/rare items. congratulations on having everything.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
They could always give Zenyetta the ability to dischord through shields that was briefly on PTR.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
How about the other healers? As much as I'd love for Zen to be more powerful, he's probably the best off of the non-Mercy healers at the moment. How about Ana and Lucio?

Also yeah, at least some characters seriously need some anti-barrier abilities. Since Fan the Hammer is garbage in high-end play, maybe make it deal extra damage to barriers to encourage its use in all skill ranges? Maybe make Doomfist's crappy little shotgun M1 damage barriers more?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
There is nothing you can give any healer that is better than "undo death."

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
I just play FFA and sometimes TDM. I enjoy those modes more than the 6v6. I usually just log in to win the 9 matches needed for the 3 loot crates.

This last stand mode with leaderboards for Halloween is fun too. I wish it something they had year round.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Well, I got both Halloween skins for Zen and Ana in my first three boxes. Shame they were both last year's skins. :v:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

what if... now hear me out... what if they added more heroes to the game. but instead of lovely offense heroes, it was support heroes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

OhFunny posted:

I just play FFA and sometimes TDM. I enjoy those modes more than the 6v6. I usually just log in to win the 9 matches needed for the 3 loot crates.

This last stand mode with leaderboards for Halloween is fun too. I wish it something they had year round.

Yeah I haven't really touched regular OW since FFA and TDM came out.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I recommend everyone do DM as Mercy at some point.

got second place and potg and it was a thrill

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Re: Mei things

I felt pretty good about this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dNeDgBf7xo

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Minrad posted:

try taking a look at your common/rare items. congratulations on having everything.

I've spotted quite a few that I don't have, so it's weird. Ah well

Re: mei chat. You can get 3 headshots off, one just before the enemy actually freezes while they're slow, then finish the freeze and two headshots after that.

Deals with any non tank and any tank will be low as gently caress

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Any other ideas for how to maximize misery for anyone other than the person playing Mercy?

Resurrect is never going away, your best bet is to make sure using it doesn't constantly make an active fight a 7v6, but rather a recovery mechanism if the Mercy's team wins the fight. Making it wasteful and dangerous to poorly resurrect should be the goal.

Another potential option is E in standard mode force respawns someone (in the spawn room obv) while it actually resurrects directly on the battlefield in Valkyrie.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

FaustianQ posted:

Resurrect is never going away, your best bet is to make sure using it doesn't constantly make an active fight a 7v6, but rather a recovery mechanism if the Mercy's team wins the fight.

Change Resurrect from a cooldown to charge-based, except you spawn with 0 and you only gain charges by landing killing blows. :black101:

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Moddington posted:

Change Resurrect from a cooldown to charge-based, except you spawn with 0 and you only gain charges by landing killing blows. :black101:

Let the concept of last hitting stay in mobas, and frankly probably not even there, thanks.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

Re: mei chat. You can get 3 headshots off, one just before the enemy actually freezes while they're slow, then finish the freeze and two headshots after that.

That's insanely overkill on anything that isn't a tank.

E: for the record:

Freezing takes 1.5 seconds, during which the stream is going to deal 67 damage. From there, a 150 damage headshot kills every single hero at 200 health or less. You can extend that kill range to all 250 hp heroes by just holding m1 for an extra second before firing. Melee afterwards if you aren't confident about your timing. The only characters capable of surviving this at full health are tanks and bastion. Probably torb too because that rear end in a top hat basically always has armor up on himself.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm sure Meis who do this mean well but it's very annoying when I'm about to kill someone and our Mei helpfully throws up an icewall between myself and them. A lot of Meis I've played with have saved enemies this way, treating their icewall like a Rein/Orisa shield; something to be placed just ahead of our team. Use it to gently caress up positioning of an enemy group charging in on you, to separate enemies, or shut down an ult.

Also, don't throw up an icewall to try to halt the payload's progress, it'll just bust through that poo poo like it's not there.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Oct 12, 2017

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Wrist Watch posted:

That's insanely overkill on anything that isn't a tank.

E: for the record:

Freezing takes 1.5 seconds, during which the stream is going to deal 67 damage. From there, a 150 damage headshot kills every single hero at 200 health or less. You can extend that kill range to all 250 hp heroes by just holding m1 for an extra second before firing. Melee afterwards if you aren't confident about your timing. The only characters capable of surviving this at full health are tanks and bastion. Probably torb too because that rear end in a top hat basically always has armor up on himself.

The triple headshot combo gets through healing though, which is what its designed for :)

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot

Wrist Watch posted:

Also since I didn't see anyone else mention it, if you ult and spray someone with m1, the time it takes to freeze decreases by like half. Doesn't come in handy all the time, but it's a good thing to know.

I swear this is the only way I've been able to kill some Mercy players lately. Long live Mei's Flash Freeze!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's the chance they'll add more proper deadmatch maps? Chateu is great.

OldNorthBridge
Jul 23, 2003

Take your medicine!

brainSnakes posted:

Between playing yesterday and today, i've gotten Mei's vampire skin, her vampire hop emote, and her ice scream win pose. i feel obligated to give her a serious try, for once.

any tips on how to be a not shithive awful Mei? I play zen and rat so I can track things and shoot them with non hitscan weapons, I like her icicle gun.

beyond that I don't know what the gently caress to do with her besides spam aMEIzing and worry about ruining my friends lives too much to drop an ice wall.

You can use Ice Wall to boost yourself and teammates up to some interesting spots, too.

Ice wall can go left/right or front/back (useful for cutting off side passage escape routes)

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Ice Wall is my favorite skill in the game because there are oodles of uses for it. Lately my favorite use of the wall is dropping it under you in a fight. Most enemies think the wall appeared to separate you from them. But surprise! You're on top of it. So freeze them and put an icecicle in their head. Just be careful if the other team has a hit scan in the area too because you will become an easy target for them.

Mei is the best hero and I wish there was a medal for "helpful chaos" because Mei would win it every game (if the player isn't an idiot).

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

dogstile posted:

I've spotted quite a few that I don't have, so it's weird. Ah well

Are the dupes you're getting seasonal or rare? When you open a loot box it checks how many will be seasonal (with one guaranteed) and then checks rarity, giving a non dupe within that rarity if possible. So you'll be getting rare dupes early on since there's only like 300 rare items in the game, followed by commons of which there's probably 1000 or more

I actually think they biased the odds of getting a seasonal item with this event. Completely ancedotal but I've had multiple 4x seasonal items already this event, whereas i think i had one summer games loot box with more than 2 event items.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Blue Caboose posted:

In general your personal stats are not typically super descriptive. There are too many confounding factors to really get a really good picture of your actual overall performance, and its all but guaranteed that your sample size is much too small to make effective predictions. Some stats stabilize pretty quickly, but most of the stats that Blizzard surfaces are not particularly good predictors of performance.

As other people have noted, if you play and you deserve to climb, you will climb. Depending on how much you play, it might feel like a grindy climb (2300-3000 for me was 90 games at about a 66% winrate), but you will climb.

Makes sense. I guess I just need to play more comp, but it can get really frustrating as a support player in the ~2500s.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Got Helsing McCree but no Zen :(

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

dogstile posted:

The triple headshot combo gets through healing though, which is what its designed for :)

:downs:

In my defense, it was like 4am

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Ice wall is super handy for quite a few uses. I like using it as a movement skill a lot, you can boost yourself and, with some coordination, other people up to odd places to attack from. If you cancel it by pressing e again then it starts the cooldown sooner. You can also change which direction it is pointing. Use it to block a door from the side for example. One neat thing to do is to use it to block the escape of a retreating Reaper, or anyone else for that matter. Reaper's wraith form will end before he can get away and it's an easy kill. If you're lucky, you can block off an entire team's retreat and then ult.

One way to really piss off a Roadhog is to use the freeze ray on him, pop off one headshot and then freeze him again. It seems like it's a short time to refreeze again if you start doing it before they fully thaw. I've solo'd Roadhogs as Mei this way. Mind the hook though.

You can halt a cart or a point cap and then when your health is low go into the ice block. Not only do you block the cap still, but you regen health. Hopefully some of your team are around to distract because if you have all the attention you will soon die after coming out. That can be immediate if there are a lot of enemies.

If Tracer sticks you with her pulse bomb, ice block and it won't hurt you. If she throws it on the ground, ice block on that and I think that will block the damage to teammates too.

Ice wall can be handy to block several ults, like Dva's or things like Reinhardt's charge ability. Just be careful not to shield the enemy team from your team's attacks. The absolute worse thing is to block your own team's ults, or to trap one of your teammates with the enemy team. As someone else said, use it to split up the enemy team and give yourself a numbers advantage.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Some of the junkenstein photobombs are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JqOhh0EH0

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Sockser posted:

it sucks because you know they're gonna give him some lame christmas skin now that he's missed summer games and halloween

caught right inbetween the events with cool skins, rip doomfist

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Rirse posted:

They could always give Zenyetta the ability to dischord through shields that was briefly on PTR.

i was so pissed when they backed down from this without even letting it breathe

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish Zen could apply discord orbs to enemy shields.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i was so pissed when they backed down from this without even letting it breathe

there's no way that wouldn't be as broken as 50% discord and it's one of the few times blizzard has actually done the right thing quickly rather than letting it fester for weeks

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's no way that wouldn't be as broken as 50% discord and it's one of the few times blizzard has actually done the right thing quickly rather than letting it fester for weeks

there's every way, actually

zenyatta doesn't suddenly become a runaway monster if the enemy team is running d. va and zarya or something

BallisticClipboard
Feb 18, 2013

Such a good worker!

So who's the shield buster now? I just ran into an Orisa that never got her shield taken down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Field Mousepad posted:

Some of the junkenstein photobombs are pretty great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1JqOhh0EH0

I had one where the Summoner appeared and took an arrow through the head like the old Steve Martin bit.