Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

tooterfish posted:

I sincerely hope this isn't the end.

I've spent so long procrastinating in this stupid thread I won't know what to do with myself.

Don't worry. There will be years of denials, tears, lawsuits and the like from backers.

Cig will literally close its doors for good and the usual suspects will claim it's a deserved vacation after 5 years of crunch mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

D_Smart posted:

That's probably because the directive just recently came down, and they were told that any refunds which hadn't been granted, were also to be refused along with new ones.

Yea I'm thinking it was just sent en masses to everyone still in queue for a refund, no matter what step they were in the process. Pulling the rug out from under them.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

I don't think they would've done this before Citizencon unless they had no other choice.

Is SC Trades going to crater now?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

That’s a good point. Getting this much negative attention right before citcon seems like a terrible idea.

Pretty much par for the CIG course though I guess!

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I haven't checked in in a while, what's new

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

a cyberpunk goose posted:

CIG is out of money and it’s the ELE part 27.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Toops posted:

Right on, like that vid. That's what I meant by setting the particle system to world space, they generate their own forces and aren't effected by translation/rotation of the ship. I assume the emitters are child objects attached to the root ship gameObject, and if CIG didn't do that, and instead added them with some kind of "follower" logic, well, lol, CIG bad.

Now that I say that, it's probably what they did, due to CIG...

The way I did it was simple. In the game's editor, I created a vector line where the exhausts are. This gives the endpoint for the particle effect, which are then created along that vector. I do the same thing for the wing tip based trails.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/help-needed-favorite-moments-in-star-citizen-s-dev/526037

top reply -

time is a flat circle, star citizen thread.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ah yes your favorite moment from the development of star citizen

Everything from pre rendered sizzle clips to talk shows about the pre rendered sizzle clips

So much to pick from

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

My favourite part was where Chris got coked off his tits and wrote a letter to the Escapist blaming reptilians for all his woes.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Refunds are starting to be denied.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I wonder if they'd ban me if I posted doorgate in that thread lol

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

tooterfish posted:

I've spent so long procrastinating in this stupid thread I won't know what to do with myself.

Me too, friend, but I think this thread will serve as a fitting post-mortem thread where we can pick apart every new revelation that becomes uncovered as CIG falls apart.

This 'deny refunds' thing could very well be CIG just acting out policy and continuing its business as usual. Orrr it might be CIG desperately trying to limp to Citizencon in the vain hope that funding will pick up.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

mdxi posted:

I want to take a moment and :justpost: about something that bothered me while catching up on the past 97,000 posts: people kept saying "even a broken clock is right twice a day".

A stopped clock is right twice a day. But a broken clock may be right a far smaller percentage of the time. Consider a clock which loses one second every day, which would be right only once every 236 years!

You people clearly know nothing about aphorism development.

This has been brought up before in the past thousands of posts. Your algorithm has not factored in modern technology like digital clocks, which may never be right at all because they just don't tell time at all.

Imagine 5 digital clocks on the edge of a cliff. Chris Roberts pushes one off.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
My fave moment was

(I don't know who made that but it's awesome)

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Blue On Blue posted:

Everything from pre rendered sizzle clips to talk shows about the pre rendered sizzle clips

So much to pick from

Definately Crobs holding the SQ42 script to demonstrate how huge it was then dropping it on the floor for a peon to pick up. (Citcon 2015?) Seriously when this goes tits up I really want to read that script because you know it is indescribably shite.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Virtual Captain”" post="“477283441”"]
Meanwhile on the internet in a video entitled ”I Stand for CIG, and I Support Star Citizen, and Always Will!”
11:45 - “I do not want to talk a lot about turrets right now; I do not want to really get into heavy game mechanics when there is no game that I can play.”

:allears:

How do you hold those two thoughts simultaneously?
[/quote]

:lol:

I love this thing I can't have and can't use! It's the best thing!!!! Whoa, there buddy. You want to talk about the thing? Let's just not, I really don't like to talk about the details of this thing. I can't actually do anything with the thing and there's nothing to talk about with it because it's not really the thing I actually am wanting to have. I just like that it is a thing and am content with that fact. Eventually if I believe hard enough it will be the thing of my dreams.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Turns out the only part of that particular presentation that applies to Star Citizen currently was the guy yelling "CryEngine Sucks!!"

Tried to find the actual clip and all could find where the shitizens attacking the guy that did the yelling. Hilarious back then and even funnier to read now. "He is just some jealous EVE douche bag upset that EVE will never be as cool as Star Citizen."

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

XK posted:

Maybe they should understand the difference between strict liability, and mens rea.

They wouldn’t be eagerly awaiting star citizen with those kind of smarts.

Blue On Blue posted:

So much to pick from

That time they refunded a notorious internet warlord.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hav posted:

That time they refunded a notorious internet warlord.
I think you mean that time they DECLARED WAR on a notorious internet warlord.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Someone needs to post the clip of CRoberts trying to demonstrate the game he'd obviously never seen before in that thread.

That was for sure a precious moment of SC development.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

tooterfish posted:

Shroud of the avatar.

Hell, there’s someone thinking up a terrible pitch right now. It’s a bottomless pit of stupid. Lethality has a nose for them.

Hav fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 12, 2017

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Mokinokaro posted:

Someone needs to post the clip of CRoberts trying to demonstrate the game he'd obviously never seen before in that thread.

Yeah don't. They will ban you. Then send someone over to your house to gently caress you up. Then, just to make sure, Ben will come over and sit on you.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Mokinokaro posted:

https://youtu.be/ZWq8ynUq7wM

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I have my own evocati account, recording software, host, video editing software, and numerous blogs to support me going forward with a plan to expose CIG's vile villainy but I think I'm being called for supper and my taekwonjitsu class is after that and im busy this weekend wow where does anyone find the TIME to do anything?

Oh by the way heres 4000 tweets for you to read up on and a couple of blogs for good measure.

I just want the confirm this is true. Just the other day we were in Florida checking out some of the hurricane damage when we happened upon a van selling top notch recording software.

"Great of you to buy that quality recording software!" I said to Jobbo_Fett.

"Yes, I'm really looking forward to recording some Star Citizen and posting some videos from my secret evocati access to help bolster my claims and blogs!" He replied with a big smile as we approached his parked Tesla.

I was in awe, and nodded, "That would be irrefutable evidence! Especially since that one guy figured out exactly where they put their watermark to identify your secret account!"

"I know! It's so perfect! I just..."

I looked concerned though, "You just what? You literally do nothing but try to destroy that game on the internet as like a literal job."

We climbed into his Tesla, and Jobbo_Fett let his fingers tighten on the steering wheel after the car silently turned on like a kitten in the night purring. "I just don't think I have time to do that."

"But that would... prove you right. You could literally make a video of everything as broken as it is, and video every point they make and say 'here is what they tell you, here is the reality!'"

"Yeah..." he said, signing. "But then I might miss some twitter posts. Or somebody responding on my private forum I built specifically to destroy the game."

"Wouldn't this... help your cause though?" I inquired as we drove on into the daylight, the video editing software sitting behind his seat still wrapped in its cellophane.

"Maybe but... the time it would take me to do that could be time I spent just quoting my blog back at people where I called it. And linking. Links don't write themselves you know. I got to hand write every link."

"I see. You're never going to loving finish linking your blog, are you?"

"Wait until you see my new one!" Jobbo_Fett giggles with a sparkle in his eyes now. "It's part 798 where I loving called it. The links to my own previous blogs alone is up to twenty pages, and the recap is seventy pages! I've got them by the balls so much it must hurt them. I don't have time for videos when I have to blog. Oh! I'm also going to post it to Twitter! It'll be like 90,000,042 twitter posts! Did you notice the 42 at the end? Did that on purpose!!!"

"Yeah... yeah I noticed. Can't wait for it.." I said, turning to look out the window forlornly. "Maybe somebody else will do it then. I wonder what TheAgent is doing? Hopefully not burning."

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

I just want the confirm this is true. Just the other day we were in Florida checking out some of the hurricane damage when we happened upon a van selling top notch recording software.

"Great of you to buy that quality recording software!" I said to Jobbo_Fett.

"Yes, I'm really looking forward to recording some Star Citizen and posting some videos from my secret evocati access to help bolster my claims and blogs!" He replied with a big smile as we approached his parked Tesla.

I was in awe, and nodded, "That would be irrefutable evidence! Especially since that one guy figured out exactly where they put their watermark to identify your secret account!"

"I know! It's so perfect! I just..."

I looked concerned though, "You just what? You literally do nothing but try to destroy that game on the internet as like a literal job."

We climbed into his Tesla, and Jobbo_Fett let his fingers tighten on the steering wheel after the car silently turned on like a kitten in the night purring. "I just don't think I have time to do that."

"But that would... prove you right. You could literally make a video of everything as broken as it is, and video every point they make and say 'here is what they tell you, here is the reality!'"

"Yeah..." he said, signing. "But then I might miss some twitter posts. Or somebody responding on my private forum I built specifically to destroy the game."

"Wouldn't this... help your cause though?" I inquired as we drove on into the daylight, the video editing software sitting behind his seat still wrapped in its cellophane.

"Maybe but... the time it would take me to do that could be time I spent just quoting my blog back at people where I called it. And linking. Links don't write themselves you know. I got to hand write every link."

"I see. You're never going to loving finish linking your blog, are you?"

"Wait until you see my new one!" Jobbo_Fett giggles with a sparkle in his eyes now. "It's part 798 where I loving called it. The links to my own previous blogs alone is up to twenty pages, and the recap is seventy pages! I've got them by the balls so much it must hurt them. I don't have time for videos when I have to blog. Oh! I'm also going to post it to Twitter! It'll be like 90,000,042 twitter posts! Did you notice the 42 at the end? Did that on purpose!!!"

"Yeah... yeah I noticed. Can't wait for it.." I said, turning to look out the window forlornly. "Maybe somebody else will do it then. I wonder what TheAgent is doing? Hopefully not burning."

:perfect:
:five::five::five::five:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Beer4TheBeerGod”" post="“477289981”"]
I wouldn’t be surprised if refund denials are happening because they don’t have the money to accommodate them.
[/quote]

Or they have entered into some pre determined minimum break point to begin the shut down process.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Blue On Blue”" post="“477290379”"]
:lesnick: Chris, you promised me all I could eat donuts. Forever. As long as I kept the whales in line

:supaburn: Yes Ben, my most loyal and trusted associate. You will have all the donuts you could ever want soon enough

:lesnick: Where are they Christopher, I want them now. Why is everyone leaving?

:supaburn: Shhh shh, it will be ok. Just look over here into the fire, concentrate on the fire now Ben

*the sound of a revolver being cocked*
[/quote]

This is sad. :(

The reality though is that Ben may be one of the few people who could theoretically steal Star Citizen stuff when everything hits the fan. He could be that guy that secretly passes off this stuff to a dedicated modding team.

But he won't, because there's probably some version of Wing Commander 3 on 400 cassette tapes that he would feel obligated to save instead.

The best part about Ben being involved in this project, outside of his sick and twisted poo poo tier human being side, is that he doesn't even like Star Citizen. He's only there for Wing Commander. I bet he is secretly hoping Star Citizen fails because he wants Chris Roberts to only be remembered for Wing Commander fondly, and not some other space game (or enormous fraud situation).

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Wonder how long until they wheel out dracula Freyermuth and the rent-a-PR guy to refute the refund thing.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

SomethingJones posted:

My fave moment was

(I don't know who made that but it's awesome)

Whoever sewed those buttons deserves a raise to $0.10 an hour.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if refund denials are happening because they don't have the money to accommodate them.

On the other hand, when they first released 2.0 they also began denying refunds until they got serious negative press for it.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

The truth is that Star Citizens biggest release was done by Disco Lando accidentally.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Gravity_Storm posted:

The truth is that Star Citizens biggest release was done by Disco Lando accidentally.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

The best part about Ben being involved in this project, outside of his sick and twisted poo poo tier human being side, is that he doesn't even like Star Citizen. He's only there for Wing Commander. I bet he is secretly hoping Star Citizen fails because he wants Chris Roberts to only be remembered for Wing Commander fondly, and not some other space game (or enormous fraud situation).

I thought this was a given. Ben is registered here, after all.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

The Titanic posted:

Or they have entered into some pre determined minimum break point to begin the shut down process.

it might just be that they are tapped for cash because of CITcon so they are just stalling for time until the big convention cash starts rolling in. Sort of like asking until after you get paid next week to cash all those checks you've been writing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“D_Smart”" post="“477291189”"]
So far nobody knows what is going on. My one credible source was the one who told me that he has to check around because they (devs) have no clue wtf management is even doing from one minute to the next. Then he came back about an hour go and basically said that’s the policy going forward.

He did say that the person who notified him, said that she was told that it was always the policy, but that they were issuing refunds on a case by case basis all this time and not something they were required to do.

What’s puzzling is that this whole “refund dump” on Reddit happened within the span of 48 hrs following not only my latest article, but also my Tweet reminding people that refunds were going away. I would hate to think that CIG are still reacting to what I’m saying.

Fact is, they apparently are clearing their refund backlog and someone probably hit the “bulk” check mark and hit the send button on “gently caress you, no moah refunds”. Of course not everyone is going to run off to Reddit.

The wording of some of those CS emails though, is highly suspect as well, which is why I am stil l not entirely sure that all of them are real. But CIG hires largely incompetent people, so there’s that.
[/quote]

I can't say you're not helping to cause them harm, because you certainly are. :)

But I do think right now they are more or less reacting to financial issues more than a Derek blog post.

I could be totally wrong though, I mean honestly they could have read something I posted and CR was all "This goddamn ship bitch on SA has us figured out guys!!! Start emergency evacuations now!!!" and he slams down on the To The Porsche Cave button that automatically buys him a ticket to somewhere in Africa and signals the staff at his mansion to pack his stuff, burn the disks, and fuel up the sports cars.

I'm not saying either is true or false, I'm just saying maybe, you know. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“tooterfish”" post="“477291439”"]
I sincerely hope this isn’t the end.

I’ve spent so long procrastinating in this stupid thread I won’t know what to do with myself.
[/quote]

We can jump ship to the other Origin veteran in the Ultima Reincarnated As A Money Shop thread here and try to see if we can all pitch in enough money to buy enough of his blood to build a Frankenstein monster who can only build poo poo tier games with grand ideas, terrible management, and is fueled by selfish needs to have everybody's money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Blue On Blue”" post="“477292451”"]

So much to pick from
[/quote]

I'm rather fond of that Mark Hamill screenshot. It's been around so long and abused so much by CIG it's jpeg probably has a strain of digital herpes your computer can contract if you look at it.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

tooterfish posted:

I should be asleep right now

I am definitely not asleep right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
Reddit consensus is that stopping refunds is good for Star Citizen.