Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to mention how is it in any way plausible that he'd be still flying (as a military member) after 30+ years?

It's not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's about as plausible as him still being a field agent in an "Impossible Mission Force" at 55. He's actually older now than Tom Skerritt was (~53) when he played Viper.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Headline: Navy Praises leadership of USS SHILOH over record amount of responses from Command Climate Survey.

(They still only got less than 50%)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Null Integer posted:

Headline: Navy Praises leadership of USS SHILOH over record amount of responses from Command Climate Survey.

(They still only got less than 50%)

We're sitting at a cool 9% for our directorate.

Maybe 8% overall.

At least this year the URL wasn't something like http://navycommandsurvey.fart/A37b7mmmiIiIImhhrfuckyou753899643246.aspx

Maybe we'll get to 12%.

Oh wait the unclass hasn't worked right for two weeks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Laranzu posted:

It worked?

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Laranzu posted:

We're sitting at a cool 9% for our directorate.

Maybe 8% overall.

At least this year the URL wasn't something like http://navycommandsurvey.fart/A37b7mmmiIiIImhhrfuckyou753899643246.aspx

Maybe we'll get to 12%.

I'm a CTN and I still clicked that link in hopes that it would link somewhere...

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
maybe I'm in the minority here but I feel like if I was an E-3 that just did some dumb mastable poo poo I would rather get 3 days bread and water versus 45/45 and half month's pay for two months

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Cerekk posted:

maybe I'm in the minority here but I feel like if I was an E-3 that just did some dumb mastable poo poo I would rather get 3 days bread and water versus 45/45 and half month's pay for two months

I feel like it'd be a great alternative if it was used in place of the more severe punishments. But I get the feeling that it's used in addition to the more severe punishments.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
Yeah I mean obviously there was something wrong on that boat and I'm sure if there was capricious use of captain's mast it didn't help. I felt like the article's tone was basically "the bread and water punishment is inherently wrong and shouldn't be used" though, which I can sort of see where they're coming from, but at the same time, it's on the books and within a CO's authority. If the problem is with the punishment existing in the first place the issue isn't the Shiloh or her captain, it's with the MCM.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

I've talked to a couple of guys that did the three days bread and water who said it sucked really really bad, and would have preferred any other punishment. Plus, you're sitting in the brig where they deprive you of sleep and all you have to read is a Bible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I didn't even know such a punishment was a thing. Man, coming from an army perspective, there is some WEIRD leftover nobility stuff in the Navy.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

DustyNuts posted:

I've talked to a couple of guys that did the three days bread and water who said it sucked really really bad, and would have preferred any other punishment. Plus, you're sitting in the brig where they deprive you of sleep and all you have to read is a Bible.

A Bible instead of a tech manual? That's cruel and unusual.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Happy 242nd Birthday!

Yardarm for y'all today. Except for the duty section, and except for those involved in the drill, and except for those preparing for inspection. You know what, go sweep something :chiefsay:

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

A Bible instead of a tech manual? That's cruel and unusual.

I suppose you could use the pages to make paper airplanes or something.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Well, I'm now officially a Reserve Career Counselor. Worst AT ever. No per diem.

The records review was a surprisingly-not-at-all-surprising cold appraisal of the fact that yes, every NOSC I've ever been to has screwed up my record. Missing evals, missing awards, double eval overlap, missing NECs, missing education, etc etc.

But now I have The Juice. All it took was six SAAR-Ns and approval from the NOSC SEL and XO.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Well, I'm now officially a Reserve Career Counselor. Worst AT ever. No per diem.

The records review was a surprisingly-not-at-all-surprising cold appraisal of the fact that yes, every NOSC I've ever been to has screwed up my record. Missing evals, missing awards, double eval overlap, missing NECs, missing education, etc etc.

But now I have The Juice. All it took was six SAAR-Ns and approval from the NOSC SEL and XO.

Congrats on now being about to help your Sailors out as a CCC. Also enjoy doing CDBs. I always enjoyed sitting in on those to find out more about the Sailors since, unlike active, I usually only got about 2-3 minutes with a person to find out what they've been up to for a whole month.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Just finished my first week as a contractor working on NGen on Bremerton. The pay is fine but holy poo poo the workload is putting me to sleep. There's nothing to do but study.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

LingcodKilla posted:

Just finished my first week as a contractor working on NGen on Bremerton. The pay is fine but holy poo poo the workload is putting me to sleep. There's nothing to do but study.

Welcome to government work.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
4 months until I can start terminal leave. Kind of surreal.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

4 months until I can start terminal leave. Kind of surreal.

That's retirement for you, right? What's the plan for real life?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's retirement for you, right? What's the plan for real life?

Something corporate in the Seattle area.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Can't beat the area.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Couldn't you just pretty much automatically transition from *flying* Boeings to helping Boeing *sell* Boeings?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress I'm trapped in the land of retards. Never, ever in my life have I seen such incompetent and unapproachable leaders. Why the gently caress did I come back.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Couldn't you just pretty much automatically transition from *flying* Boeings to helping Boeing *sell* Boeings?

Well, its a little more difficult than "automatic." Boeing's military stuff is all pretty much done out of St Louis, and I have no desire to move there. Plus Boeing, being an older company, is a little more staid and static, i.e. like the military. I'm trying to get as far away from that mindset/culture as humanly possible.

LingcodKilla posted:

Can't beat the area.

We do love it here and we don't want to uproot the kids again. I doubt I'll live here forever though; drat near all our family is on the East coast which makes things difficult.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I hear Amazon is hiring

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Boon posted:

I hear Amazon is hiring

This is true and they are at the top of the list.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Better get them STAR stories ready, good luck!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Well, its a little more difficult than "automatic." Boeing's military stuff is all pretty much done out of St Louis, and I have no desire to move there. Plus Boeing, being an older company, is a little more staid and static, i.e. like the military. I'm trying to get as far away from that mindset/culture as humanly possible.

Makes sense - and I don't blame you. I try to make it up to Seattle as often as I can for a break from the DC area's BS.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

We do love it here and we don't want to uproot the kids again. I doubt I'll live here forever though; drat near all our family is on the East coast which makes things difficult.

Once yer a civilian we should do a beer or something.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

LingcodKilla posted:

Once yer a civilian we should do a beer or something.

Absolutely.

Boon posted:

Better get them STAR stories ready, good luck!

I'm on it. ;)

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Lingcodkilla does this mean you have some room above for promotion... giddy up on that GS stallion!

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2017/10/17/bremerton-man-charged-child-rape-king-county/774430001/

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dingleberry posted:

Lingcodkilla does this mean you have some room above for promotion... giddy up on that GS stallion!

http://www.kitsapsun.com/story/news/2017/10/17/bremerton-man-charged-child-rape-king-county/774430001/

Yikes! I mean have suspicions about my coworkers but yeah.

Started my contract work at the shipyards and I'm kicking myself for not doing this sooner.
I did roughly 1 hour of "work" today but otherwise had to standby while we try to find out who will ok us drilling a 2 inch hole in wall.

God Bless America

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Omfg if I get called to the Chiefs' office and told not to make jokes about dolphin rape in front of the students one more loving time I swear to god, it was like nine months ago, and all I said was that it's racist to assume that all dolphins are rapists. They students were having their own conversation about dolphin rape that I interjected moderation into and I'm never going to hear the loving end of it.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Omfg if I get called to the Chiefs' office and told not to make jokes about dolphin rape in front of the students one more loving time I swear to god, it was like nine months ago, and all I said was that it's racist to assume that all dolphins are rapists. They students were having their own conversation about dolphin rape that I interjected moderation into and I'm never going to hear the loving end of it.

This is my new favorite post in GiP

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Do your students pass it down to the next class that you got in trouble for making dolphin rapist jokes?

Btw male dolphins are all rapists.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

looks like someone reenlisted

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Nevermind- I am dumb and the statement I wrote had nothing to do with your story about getting yelled at for talking about dolphin rape with students.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 19, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SPU?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Quoting to save this for future generations of recuits to see, so they nope out of this thread and go join the air force.