Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rap music
Mar 11, 2006

can anyone validate my decision not to invest in bitcoin

like once you buy in they make it impossible to cash out right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

divabot posted:

if anyone here hasn't sufficiently suffered the wonder of Ham's argument style, start here, it's great.

lol im not going to poo poo up that thread with discussions of the business judgment rule but i guess ham also knows literally nothing about corporate fiduciary duty laws

the idea that a company will get sued for not including microtransactions :laffo:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

rap music posted:

Correct. there are literally NO exchanges that will allow you setup an instant sell and then transfer it to your bank account via two mouse clicks. they just don't exist.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

rap music posted:

it is occasionally possible to cash out provided you give an unregulated exchange a complete identity theft kit, and are willing to have your bank account immediately closed for suspicious transactions

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
> having at least 10k worth of bitcoins

> knowing what people use them for

> scratching head over how to turn them into cash

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

its so easy, all you do is give your address to drug dealers on the latest fbi-run darknet market, then become a drug dealer yourself until you've run out of drugs

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'll believe that shitcoins are worth several thousand dollars when someone proves that they have converted a significant amount (say $100k+ worth) of it into real, actual USD without getting robbed, stuck in limbo or crashing the market.

There is one person in Europe documented by the news who made a six figure profit and bought himself some property if I remember correctly. It was a while ago.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
no I just... CAN'T figure this out...

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

> having at least 10k worth of bitcoins

> knowing what people use them for

> scratching head over how to turn them into cash
"what people use them for" doesnt turn your bitcoin into cash. thats how people who accept bitcoin for their illegal stuff acquire bitcoin in the first place
and what a comforting thought that people who buy bitcoins are helping out those captains of industry

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

There is one person in Europe documented by the news who made a six figure profit and bought himself some property if I remember correctly. It was a while ago.
iirc that was way back when some of the exchanges still had VC cash to pay out with.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

If I'm honest of course I wish I lucked into some bitcoins because even if it's garbage you can use it at some places?

*Dick voice
"Who CARES if it worked or not!"

That doesn't make true believers any less fun to make fun of.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

gary oldmans diary posted:

"what people use them for" doesnt turn your bitcoin into cash.

lol okay cat tit avatar guy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Collateral Damage posted:

iirc that was way back when some of the exchanges still had VC cash to pay out with.

Is this the guy who's bought a desolate crumbling Scandinavian castle for a price of a flat? I though he directly transferred his bits without cashing them out, which was an important milestone for botcoins.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol, just buy illegal drugs with your bits, you idiot, you moron. Why would you even need real money?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Paladinus posted:

Lol, just buy illegal drugs with your bits, you idiot, you moron. Why would you even need real money?

this but unironically

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

it is occasionally possible to cash out provided you give an unregulated exchange a complete identity theft kit, and are willing to have your bank account immediately closed for suspicious transactions
or you could just sell bitcoin on gdax/coinbase and wire it to your bank

a lot of you are repeating things that were true about the crypto space a while ago but are no longer true

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 12, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uranium 235 posted:

or you could just sell bitcoin on gdax/coinbase and wire it to your bank

a lot of you are repeating things that were true about the crypto space a while ago but are no longer true

yes, which requires giving an unregulated exchange a complete identity theft kit, and results in the bank closing your account because they know coinbase is a giant red flag

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Sailor Viy posted:

Hey Ham Sandwiches. I don't have any strong opinions about bitcoins but I'm curious about your purpose in posting in this thread. From your posts it seems like you don't really enjoy the thread, in fact it seems to make you angry, yet you keep coming back and seemingly spend a lot of time writing posts. A lot of people argue on the internet but I've rarely seen someone put so much energy into such an uphill battle as you're doing here. So what is your goal here? What outcome are you trying to achieve with your posts?

I promise this is not a setup for some kind of gotcha to prove you are a brainwashed zealot or whatever. I'm just honestly curious about your motivations.

My goal was just to get all the people that felt strongly that Bitcoin would fail to go on the record as hard as possible, as thoroughly as possible, so that I can quote their posts and make fun of them over time.

In general most of the anti bitcoiners except the earnest financial dude strike me as folks posturing for SA ecred and validation, and have been perpetuating really dumb outdated ideas about cryptocoins in furtherance of comedy, and legitimately missing the boat in the process. Those folks annoy me with their lovely one liners and yeah I don't enjoy talking to them. In general their posting style is "one line mocking of other position with no explanation of why they think it's wrong"

Also it's odd to me that folks so smug about what they think will happen go to such pains to avoid predicting or articulating what they think will happen with Bitcoin other than it will fail so I was hoping over the the past two threads to sum up the most cogent arguments.

So by this point I feel that's been pretty well covered, the only thing to do left is periodically chime in when something significant happens with Bitcoin. Since that one effortposter gave up and declared victory (how boring, glad we had to waste that time) presumably people will stop hassling me to respond to him now and we can just go back to watching what happens to Bitcoin.

Hell there's even a book where one guy wrote down all the wrong stuff he thinks, so there's something really really tangible to dive into later as the usage of cryptocoins get more widespread.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

lol okay cat tit avatar guy
what a burn on an av from jeffrey of yospos that i used to have. by you. after your example of you not understanding how goods and services are exchanged

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

My goal was just to get all the people that felt strongly that Bitcoin would fail to go on the record as hard as possible, as thoroughly as possible, so that I can quote their posts and make fun of them over time.

In general most of the anti bitcoiners except the earnest financial dude strike me as folks posturing for SA ecred and validation, and have been perpetuating really dumb outdated ideas about cryptocoins in furtherance of comedy, and legitimately missing the boat in the process. Those folks annoy me with their lovely one liners and yeah I don't enjoy talking to them. In general their posting style is "one line mocking of other position with no explanation of why they think it's wrong"

Also it's odd to me that folks so smug about what they think will happen go to such pains to avoid predicting or articulating what they think will happen with Bitcoin other than it will fail so I was hoping over the the past two threads to sum up the most cogent arguments.

So by this point I feel that's been pretty well covered, the only thing to do left is periodically chime in when something significant happens with Bitcoin. Since that one effortposter gave up and declared victory (how boring, glad we had to waste that time) presumably people will stop hassling me to respond to him now and we can just go back to watching what happens to Bitcoin.

Hell there's even a book where one guy wrote down all the wrong stuff he thinks, so there's something really really tangible to dive into later as the usage of cryptocoins get more widespread.

it is hilarious that you both complain that people mocking you don't include enough explanation and whine about the entire book dunking on bitcoin that you are completely unable to respond to

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also my one-liners contain enough facts that you stutter and change the subject knowing that if you try to respond to them you'll get dunked on so that's a pretty good one-liner in my book

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

it is hilarious that you both complain that people mocking you don't include enough explanation and whine about the entire book dunking on bitcoin that you are completely unable to respond to

Your posts are a great example of people I find annoying, I don't really see why I would engage in this lovely bickering dude it's not useful and I'm just here to comment on the cryptocoins

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

that seems like a goal with very few steps on your end. why are you failing to accomplish such a direct task? im still looking for quoted posts from you of people who said bitcoin would never go up and no one could make money from it

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

also my one-liners contain enough facts that you stutter and change the subject knowing that if you try to respond to them you'll get dunked on so that's a pretty good one-liner in my book

No these are stupid posts from an idiot that can't string stuff together and doesn't want to expose any arguments, while still chiming in. It's beyond lame.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ham Sandwiches posted:

so there's something really really tangible to dive into later as the usage of cryptocoins get more widespread.

Bitscoins aren't tangible.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Your posts are a great example of people I find annoying, I don't really see why I would engage in this lovely bickering dude it's not useful and I'm just here to comment on the cryptocoins

i know you find them annoying, it's because i know more than you do and you know it and you can't figure out how to reconcile that with your belief in your own rightness

if you're tired about being dunked on about bitcoin do you want to discuss your hilariously idiotic ideas about corporate fiduciary duties?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

i know you find them annoying, it's because i know more than you do and you know it and you can't figure out how to reconcile that with your belief in your own rightness

if you're tired about being dunked on about bitcoin do you want to discuss your hilariously idiotic ideas about corporate fiduciary duties?

Yeah like, this is what I mean, smug dude that poops out a one line sentence with 0 details, but just wants to contribute to the conversation. You're the reason d&d made a rule that effort has to be met with effort, dumbasses like you that want to participate but not contribute or expose themselves to counter criticism / rebuttal. Legit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I look forward to the rebuttal to divabot's book. its loose change, if you will. loose satoshis?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah like, this is what I mean, smug dude that poops out a one line sentence with 0 details, but just wants to contribute to the conversation. You're the reason d&d made a rule that effort has to be met with effort, dumbasses like you that want to participate but not contribute or expose themselves to counter criticism / rebuttal. Legit.

:laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo::laffo:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah. Chiming in with smug critiques, but there's no position of yours that I can attack because you haven't articulated one. Just simply peanut gallery smug bullshit that's 50 variants of "I'm right." Who cares dude, are you posting to hear yourself talk? That's all you're accomplishing.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

intellectually youre the equivalent of a stinky hobo on the street corner. some jokes and pity directed at you but we dont want you to touch us

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah. Chiming in with smug critiques, but there's no position of yours that I can attack because you haven't articulated one. Just simply peanut gallery smug bullshit that's 50 variants of "I'm right." Who cares dude, are you posting to hear yourself talk? That's all you're accomplishing.

could you please elaborate on how i am the reason the d&d mods needed to implement that rule

just one more sentence, please. i'm begging you.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

gary oldmans diary posted:

what a burn on an av from jeffrey of yospos that i used to have. by you. after your example of you not understanding how goods and services are exchanged

Salty.

Bitch.

:)

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you make a dollar from Bitcoin, a Dollar has been transferred from the Nation State monetary system into the cryptocurrency monetary system.

Oh my God I can't stop laughing you guys are arguing with a person who said this

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You're the reason d&d made a rule that effort has to be met with effort, dumbasses like you that want to participate but not contribute or expose themselves to counter criticism / rebuttal. Legit.

Holy loving poo poo I'm so glad I clicked on GBS today

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
*looks at his special watch that tells him how much richer he is now than moments ago and smiles a warm and genuine smile*

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

could you please elaborate on how i am the reason the d&d mods needed to implement that rule

just one more sentence, please. i'm begging you.

If you think that Bitcoins are lovely things doomed to fail I'd love to read your good faith post on the topic and engage with you on the matter. Except here's the thing. There isn't one. There's just you commenting on other conversations with other people and getting digs in.

I've got a position you can attack since it's in my posts, you have 50 smug variants of "lol I'm so right" which is literally worthless

What makes you this loving unpleasant as a person dude like seriously, why do you interact with people this way?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You can't hear a post, dumbass. lmao

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

yes, which requires giving an unregulated exchange a complete identity theft kit, and results in the bank closing your account because they know coinbase is a giant red flag
it's registered as a money services business with FinCEN and complies with the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions in which it operates. i wouldn't call that "unregulated"

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

scott zoloft posted:

Salty.

Bitch.

:)
wait so tell me again how when have bitcoins you want to unload what you do to unload them is sell illegal things for more bitcoins. walk me through your process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

If you think that Bitcoins are lovely things doomed to fail I'd love to read your good faith post on the topic and engage with you on the matter. Except here's the thing. There isn't one.
man that evil weasel guy not making far-reaching predictions :colbert: hes got a lot of nerve

evil weasel please take up some wrong positions in arguments so ham sandwiches can argue against you. you set em up and he will knock em down

• Locked thread