Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

lol groovy. wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

perl > bash > node fwiw

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Helianthus Annuus posted:

this is 100% right, but consider this counterpoint:

umm... umm.. fuk u i like bash :colbert:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

OldAlias posted:

python > perl > bash > node fwiw

I mean, most of the distributions out there come with python pre-installed. Even loving RHEL does.

There is no reason not to write your script in python if you need a script that doesn't involve repetitive bash commands (then just use bash).

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

node is close to the metal, op

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I mean, most of the distributions out there come with python pre-installed. Even loving RHEL does.

There is no reason not to write your script in python if you need a script that doesn't involve repetitive bash commands (then just use bash).

Yeah but most distributions use python 2, like suckers

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

VikingofRock posted:

Yeah but most distributions use python 2, like suckers

still better than bash

i had to write a batch monstrosity and had to loving port it from Cygwin to linux because "sort" and "ls" behaved differently

the script shouldn't of been written in bash at all but thats what my boss wanted, i would have wrote in half the time in python with half the code and no dependancies (the script needed xmlstarlet and unix2dos)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i am crossing my fingers so hard that RHEL 8 will include python 3 as part of the base install

still pissed that RHEL 7 does not, even though python 3.3 is part of the base install of the version of fedora that RHEL 7's based on

it took specific effort to remove it, for fucks sake

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Perplx posted:

the script shouldn't of been written in bash at all but thats what my boss wanted,
Your boss is a monster and should be destroyed.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd 235 has more cool stuff too

IP Accounting and Access Lists with systemd

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
no but you see it would be better if it was hairball of bash scripts instead
   /
:reject:

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

John Big Booty posted:

Your boss is a monster and should be destroyed.

well he quit last week and im applying for his job

other than his bash fetish he was great and i miss him alot

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

as much as i advice against bash (more heavily than most in this thread), if the greatest flaw with a boss is he wants things written in bash he is certainly doing very well

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

even java is a better scripting language than bash

if only there was some kind of java...script....yees

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Poopernickel posted:

use scriptengine to eval js from java, two great tastes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Poopernickel posted:

in the good universe to which this one is the evil mirror world, javascript has more in common with java than just the choice of block delimiter characters

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

limux is a good os cause it allows you to turn your webcame into a heating element

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/77qxkw/removing_nouveau_driver_makes_webcam_overheat/

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Condiv posted:

limux is a good os cause it allows you to turn your webcame into a heating element

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/77qxkw/removing_nouveau_driver_makes_webcam_overheat/

this makes no sense

he broke his system in some other way he is not mentioning

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
how the gently caress is a webcam gonna run at 100% power (and how's the computer gonna know?)

i figured they'd be either on, maybe standby, or off

or does the webcam crank the cpu because i can see linux having to do that to handle video

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cocoa Crispies posted:

how the gently caress is a webcam gonna run at 100% power (and how's the computer gonna know?)

usb power management is A Thing

webcams can have a surprising amount of integrated brains to encode video and poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

or does the webcam crank the cpu because i can see linux having to do that to handle video

100% of bus power. ie the magic smoke escaped

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Condiv posted:

it says 1 watt though

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

reading glassdoor reviews of a software development company and someone has listed "Customers care about Linux" under "Cons"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

josh04 posted:

reading glassdoor reviews of a software development company and someone has listed "Customers care about Linux" under "Cons"

they can't force a pharmacist to dispense birth control and they can't force me to deploy linux

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

josh04 posted:

customers who care about linux are the worst

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"senior technology staff have Opinions about systemd" would be just about the worst

lol j/k systemd opinion-havers are malajusted incompetents who wouldn't be even trusted to rack and unrack servers in a commercial setting

*stands up several special-purpose bare-metal machines by manually typing a series of commands into a shell like a caveman*
*compiles services from source, on a live server*
*has a separate /usr partition*
*is a Veteran Unix Administrator, MOM*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
now that I’ve used it a bit my systemd opinion is that journalctl is pretty good even if it is backed by black magic and the sacrifice of innocents ungreppable binary files

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
systemd service management is such a huge step forward I will forgive or overlook all other issues

people who hate systemd have plainly never had to maintain init scripts

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
that's not a joke btw, if i were interviewing somebody for a devops-type role and they expressed systemd Opinions then that would be an automatic fail because i literally would not even trust such a person to rack a server unsupervised

because they'd probably hook up a kvm to it and start "improving" the system configuration instead of doing what they were told

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

that's not a joke btw, if i were interviewing somebody for a devops-type role and they expressed systemd Opinions then that would be an automatic fail because i literally would not even trust such a person to rack a server unsupervised

because they'd probably hook up a kvm to it and start "improving" the system configuration instead of doing what they were told

I do phone screens or interviews for this kind of thing several times a week

having "bad" opinions is not an automatic fail but the candidate needs to be able to explain how and why that judgment was reached. maybe the candidate's experiences are different from mine!

so far, none who mentioned "ansible good" or "systemd bad" have managed to do that.

So how did you land on ansible?
It's agentless!

How did that benefit the business?
It's agentless!

What other technologies did you evaluate before settling on ansible?
Nothing, we chose ansible because it's agentless!

naturally you can substitute mongodb or systemd into the script and have the same idiotic conversation

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
well, actually on that topic:

i don't really know much about config management, although i do want to improve in that regard. i don't have a problem with a config management system having an agent. that's an implementation detail as far as i'm concerned. i do have a problem with having to stand up a central dedicated configuration management server and having to make formal commits to my configuration management repository in the process of testing something. i want to be able to rapidly screw around with a test instance of my system in a vm, then fully rebuild the vm from scratch to confirm that everything works, then make a formal release to live. if i have to make a constant stream of formal releases to my test vm (commit to git, pull git on the vm, run agent on the vm) then that's not a very productive workflow.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

So how did you land on ansible?
It's agentless!

How did that benefit the business?
It's agentless!

youre an idiot

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Actually he's the agent of some other project.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

well, actually on that topic:

i don't really know much about config management, although i do want to improve in that regard. i don't have a problem with a config management system having an agent. that's an implementation detail as far as i'm concerned. i do have a problem with having to stand up a central dedicated configuration management server and having to make formal commits to my configuration management repository in the process of testing something. i want to be able to rapidly screw around with a test instance of my system in a vm, then fully rebuild the vm from scratch to confirm that everything works, then make a formal release to live. if i have to make a constant stream of formal releases to my test vm (commit to git, pull git on the vm, run agent on the vm) then that's not a very productive workflow.

every cfg management system supports that workflow

how else would anyone write anything

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

systemd service management is such a huge step forward I will forgive or overlook all other issues

systemd does some things really well and seems to have determined that this means it can also do everything else really well. "im good at managing services, therefore i should also do... DNS resolution!" it may be the case that the previous implementations of non-init things also had issues, but that doesn't mean the only way of making a new implementation is to tack it onto systemd.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it’s no SMF though

or launchd

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

systemd does some things really well and seems to have determined that this means it can also do everything else really well. "im good at managing services, therefore i should also do... DNS resolution!" it may be the case that the previous implementations of non-init things also had issues, but that doesn't mean the only way of making a new implementation is to tack it onto systemd.

how can it depend on daemons when it exists to manage said daemons?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
if you require dns resolution to run a service and can't figure out how to run dns before said service, you've done hosed up

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Truga posted:

if you require dns resolution to run a service and can't figure out how to run dns before said service, you've done hosed up
the actual reason is dnssec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Is that actual systemd, or one of the systemd-x projects that aren't really systemd and not necessary for systemd to be systemd and should probably have a different name?