Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Has anyone noticed when sieging the AI, they will tend to keep their elite troops guarding the city center so long that by the time the AI considers using them they will run off the field because of the morale penalties from losing 90% of the rest of the army?

Could just be because of playing elf factions and mass archers cleaning the walls of all life when attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
The only overhaul mod i have liked so far is the AI overhaul one, i hope he updates it for wh2 aswell :/

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

toasterwarrior posted:

Aw, son of a bitch. Well, I guess I could sail over a free Lord after some ritual downtime; those extra trade goods are going to pay for him and then some. It's not like the pre-patch Norscan armies were actually any good and could knock over walled settlements.

For real: I played one last non-SFO Dwarf game before saying goodbye to Warhammer 1, and Runepriests ain't poo poo; I missed my Engineer squads and the only unit I'd replace them with would be actual Master Engineers. drat shame Master Engineers are a pain in the rear end to even access since their agent limit is insanely tough to increase.

Engineers were great but admittedly they were overpowered because they had an aura that boosted the rof of newly ranged units which made stuff like Thunderers into bushmaster Autocannon with the way bonuses stacked with themselves.

Shieldbearers were an excellent tanky unit small enough to effectively support a lord. A lot of the elite small units added like this were great in sieges in particular.

The other big improvement SFO did to dwarves was to give Hamnerers Mighty Knockback which gave bonus damage to low mass enemies that hit swatted around. This made them versatile, they would do well vs chaos warriors but also still be efficient against Swarms of goblins.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Engineers were great but admittedly they were overpowered because they had an aura that boosted the rof of newly ranged units which made stuff like Thunderers into bushmaster Autocannon with the way bonuses stacked with themselves.

Shieldbearers were an excellent tanky unit small enough to effectively support a lord. A lot of the elite small units added like this were great in sieges in particular.

The other big improvement SFO did to dwarves was to give Hamnerers Mighty Knockback which gave bonus damage to low mass enemies that hit swatted around. This made them versatile, they would do well vs chaos warriors but also still be efficient against Swarms of goblins.

SFO buffing Hammerers may be one of my favorite things about it; it was so disappointing loading the game up on release and watching Thorgrim's Hammerers take way too many losses against Boyz of all loving things. Glad that WH2 seems to be giving them some love.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Truecon420 posted:

Why do we have to ignore the promotion of polarizing mod? I think warning people about it is perfectly fair.

I don’t care for SFO but I know it does not simply do “similar things,” as it doesn’t try to homogenize every faction and turn combat into hours long grind fest

Radious thinks all races are equal while SFO certainly doesn't.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.

sassassin posted:

goldmine

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I mean the odds that Radious is also a nazi are pretty good, he just doesn't use the same name for his YouTube channel so we can't connect the dots

Hot take: lots of people on the internet have really lovely opinions

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Truecon420 posted:

Why do we have to ignore the promotion of polarizing mod? I think warning people about it is perfectly fair.

I don’t care for SFO but I know it does not simply do “similar things,” as it doesn’t try to homogenize every faction and turn combat into hours long grind fest

For a long time people said it did not add units, then it add units, yah, it does similar things

I get it, instead of making fun of a unit list I posted people have to make not jokes.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
They are improving them, but I wish they improved them the way SFO did because it was a little more unique than just cranking up their stats across the board. Hammerers required several high tier expensive support buildings and were pricey themselves for a unit that got shot up by every ranged unit the AI could muster.

Having bonus damage vs knockback means Dwarves get something that can deal with hordes of chaff trying to bog them down. Just making them 'slightly better' doesn't help. Normally great weapon units are inferior vs these foes because they attack too slow and do less dps than a sword+board counterpart. But making Hammerers a hybrid armor piercing and anti chaff unit gives them a niche that is with the effort to recruit them. Hell, I'd take it a step further by making their research (which is near the end of the infantry tree and takes ~80 turns to complete) give even more bonus knockback damage.

This would be AMAZING vs new factions as well because elite units like Stormvermin and Swordmasters are high armor/low mass units which would get wrecked by hammers that could do significant armor piercing AoE damage and disrupt them enough to avoid receiving much damage back. It also gives you a choice between great weapon Longbeards which have charge defense immune to psychology and ld bubble but aren't that amazing offensively, or hammerers which are more expensive, harder to get but more effective overall at actually killing things.

Truecon420
Jul 11, 2013

I like to tweet and live my life. Thank you.

sassassin posted:

Lol, Holy poo poo... SFO thinks every race has its place?

Third World Reggin posted:

For a long time people said it did not add units, then it add units, yah, it does similar things

I get it, instead of making fun of a unit list I posted people have to make not jokes.

I don’t like or use SFO and I’m not gonna debate its merits. I’m saying it’s stupid to tell people to ignore posts promoting Radious, which is what you were literally saying. New players should be given a heads up about Radious

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

-Parts of the map will be squished, rescaled, or even cut, like the southwesternmost parts of Lustria

Yeah I totally expected this. The TW2 grand campaign had lots of provinces turned into a single region compared to playing the localized campaigns.

Perestroika posted:

-Old raced won't get any Rites.

This is weak poo poo though

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not getting rites is bullshit but I'm guessing it was because it would take too long for them to come up with 4x rites for the other 8 factions that were unique, useful, and balanced.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

sassassin posted:

:drat:

Panfilo posted:

Not getting rites is bullshit but I'm guessing it was because it would take too long for them to come up with 4x rites for the other 8 factions that were unique, useful, and balanced.

I imagine this game is doing gangbusters and hopefully that'll fuel efforts to bringing the old races up to spec eventually. After all, every race did eventually get RoRs.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Panfilo posted:

WORST CASE they could just give the other 8 factions the same 4 generic rites with slight flavor changes that mechanically do the same thing. Not having any rites at all is a weird power imbalance.

(Ideally though they'd spend the time to update them with unique rites. Yes, it would take time. But they're charging full price over here for what are basically expansion packs, lets be real)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Panfilo posted:

Yeah that sucks. Even something generic that most of the others get where you get a random army, or can recruit a special lord, or improved army replenishment or whatever, would have been nice.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
From what CA people have said before it's a "never say never" situation re: adding rites to the TWW1 factions. They have no plans for it currently but it's not out of the question they could be added later, especially if the players want them (and they've been nicely responsive to a lot of feedback of this kind over the last year).

I'm not going to hold my breath but I wouldn't say 'we'll never get rites for Empire etc' either.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Guys, any tips in optimizing the game's settings?

It is overall slower for me and chugs a bit more, even though the first game ran pretty well. I am on a i5-4690K, gtx 970 and 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on a SSD. Any particularly nasty settings that it is better to turn down/disable?

thanks in advance :3:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some that make sense to me:

Empire:A rite that greatly improves the bonuses for offices and/or gives extra slots so you could have an Assistant Treasurer or something.

Vampire Counts: A massive boost to vampiric corruption, or temporarily offering better raise dead options globally.

Greenskins: Huge boosts to fightiness so that you could pop a bunch of waaghs at once.

Dwarves: A straightforward way to stamp out a bunch of grudges easily.

Brettonia: summon the Green Knight because Mortal Empires will be so long that having limited summons will be un fun.

Wood Elves: Have the wild hunt be a rite so it is no longer random.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

dead comedy forums posted:

It is overall slower for me and chugs a bit more, even though the first game ran pretty well. I am on a i5-4690K, gtx 970 and 16GB of RAM and the game is installed on a SSD. Any particularly nasty settings that it is better to turn down/disable?

Turning stuff up worked for me. Campaign map chugged on medium, butter smooth on ultra.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah that sucks. Even something generic that most of the others get where you get a random army, or can recruit a special lord, or improved army replenishment or whatever, would have been nice.

Seriously just give everybody a basic +public order and +money and +army rites, done.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Turn off SSAO on every videogame ever. It uses lots of power and often makes things uglier more than better.

Turn off MSAA / Antialiasing and use FXAA.

Turn shadows and depth of field to a little lower than you have everything else set to.

If it still chugs then just go through and turn everything down from high to medium or medium to low.

And if you're using ultra unit sizes consider switching to large or medium or whatever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I updated my drivers and had the GeForce Experience window optimize Warhammer 2 and it definitely helped, although I do see the screen freeze occasionally and have gotten many more crashes compared to the first game.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
The 3d portrait in the bottom left is a bit of a performance hog.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
So what's the deal with this SFO/Radious nazi stuff? Are they terrible internet racists or something?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

QuintessenceX posted:

So what's the deal with this SFO/Radious nazi stuff? Are they terrible internet racists or something?

Steel Faith is some kind of fundamentalist Orthodox Christian holocaust denier who likes Hitler and Oswald Mosley. Radious is just a bad modder as far as I know.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I really like the idea of changing the Hunt and Green Knight to rites. Make one cost Amber and the other, I'm not sure. Costing Chivalry seems strange, so maybe just put it on a cooldown?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

John Charity Spring posted:

Radious is just a bad modder as far as I know.

Though as with any historical wargaming fan there's still a pretty good chance he's at least a nationalist

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Steel Faith is no longer working on SFO iirc.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

So what you're saying is that he should only be modding 40K games?

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

sassassin posted:

So if Radious is the Soviet Union and SFO is Nazi Germany, what am i?? Facist Italy??

Zaphod42 posted:

This is weak poo poo though

To be fair, i think Rites can be modded in seeing as the button for them is in the UI and should be able to be added to other races just like how Cryonsis added in his Hero version of Isabella by adding the Green Knight summon button to the VC factions.

Once thats done all you need to do is make new effects, durations, cooldowns and costs.

I think the real reason why they didn't give old races this is because the unique racial graphical effect once you enact one, it seems like a lot to add for all the old races if they have to make a new one of those for each of them.

Shoulda just been a generic effect imo instead.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 12, 2017

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I do really like the idea of making both the Green Knight and Wild Hunt into rites. Norscans could get one for each god or something with relevant bonuses? I saw someone suggest an Empire rite be to summon a steam tank, which makes them a bit harder to recruit en masse for late-game armies but also lets you get them a bit earlier, and I quite like that idea too. There's a lot that could be done with it if CA wanted to give it a look.

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I think it'll be fine without rites for a while but it would be cool to see them in the TW1 races eventually

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

John Charity Spring posted:

I do really like the idea of making both the Green Knight and Wild Hunt into rites. Norscans could get one for each god or something with relevant bonuses? I saw someone suggest an Empire rite be to summon a steam tank, which makes them a bit harder to recruit en masse for late-game armies but also lets you get them a bit earlier, and I quite like that idea too. There's a lot that could be done with it if CA wanted to give it a look.

Make an Empire Steam Tank general that you unlock through rites so you can have a full armored division! :v:

Edit: with a 3 point skill to lower steam tank upkeep with 15/20/30%

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Noir89 posted:

Make an Empire Steam Tank general that you unlock through rites so you can have a full armored division! :v:

Edit: with a 3 point skill to lower steam tank upkeep with 15/20/30%

:jackbud:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Or maybe it summons the College of Pyrotechnics which follow your legendary Lord around like a waagh army.

So you get ready for a big siege and get AI artillery support that basically flattens the enemy fortress under thousands of hellstorm rockets.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Turn Screen Space Reflections off. Shadows on High, the rest on Ultra. That gave me better results than everything on High.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

If we're spitballing, what about Chaos/Norsca?

Tzeentch - The tech you're currently researching instantly completes, increased agents action chance and experience.

Nurgle - Huge replenishment boost and attrition in provinces your armies occupy/your provinces/ruins? Or perhaps your armies inflict disease with attacks.

Khorne - Lords and Heroes get stat boosts, everything gets frenzy, boost to experience earned. Maybe enemy armies/both your armies suffer a -10% physical damage save.

Slannesh - Maybe an ability that inflicts rampage like the Madness of Khaine. Maybe a ward save boost? Sigvald writes you a poem?

Also for Norsca I like the idea of summoning an army of trolls/monsters/mammoths.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 12, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem I have isn't graphics, it's loading times, even with a SSD.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

lol

it is a joke about how when radious is mentioned, people come out of the wood works to talk poo poo about it instead of just ignoring it and also promoting a different mod that does similar things and was also produced by a nazi

I don't get it can it come in the form of a pontus meme?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem I have isn't graphics, it's loading times, even with a SSD.

NVMe is calling