Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

No, I will not do that. You've never posted a single link to anything relevant, and have admitted that you have no technical knowledge in this while just refusing to acknowledge technical points made against the butts.

If you feel like saying that I am owned because of this, sure. I'm just here to make fun of you at this point.

Get this: Your search was poo poo and you were making up straight up falsehoods that you can't transfer money out of a Coinbase account once it's closed to win a loving internet argument. I think that's pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

a level of widespread adoption sufficient to cause at least eight transactions per second, holding (as you said) bitcoin's technical capabilities fixed

Hmm are you having trouble understanding my question? What's wrong with you? This is non responsive, or it's an answer to something I'm not asking. So I don't know what the issue is here or how to talk to someone that responds with arbitrary stuff to contextually relevant questions.

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
has anybody talked about mass adoption of bitcoin and the resulting energy consumption? talk about that

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Person with no financial or technical knowledge screeching at man currently at his work place in an agency focused on financial regulation: "your knowledge on this subject is pathetic compared to mine"

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

poorlifedecision posted:

Anyone want to give me $25 worth of bit coin so I can record myself cashing it out and then getting the money from an atm or having my bank account frozen/losing all my coins so that this argument doesn't have to spiral around ad nauseam?

i'm actually trying to sign up to coinbase, for journalistic purposes you understand.

(i only read bitcoin for the articles)

i want to sell the book for bitcoin. ebook is £4.99, so I figure I can sell a nice hardback with a gold fringe on the cover for BTC4.99.

i've nearly managed it

first they wouldn't accept my ID, because their system is unable to cope with the concept of a UK permanent resident with an Australian passport and Right of Abode. filed a support ticket, which of course was not answered for literally months.

then i finally got my updated driver's licence back. tried again. success!!

tried to set up as a merchant. to verify your bank account, you send 6 euros to coinbase's account in Estonia via SEPA. this is a normal and reasonable mechanism, though it costs 10 euros transaction fee. fiiiine it's for my art.

then they rejected the payment!! because my account had a balance limit of 0 at the time, you see.

put in a support case. zzzz ...

after i posted to /r/coinbase, support got back to me. (and answered my ID ticket too, nice of them.) they want me to explicitly say "this is a business account." (this isn't mentioned anywhere on the merchant pages.) and reupload the ID i already uploaded.

they'll get back to me in a few days probably. at which time i do the SEPA dance again.

coinbase is a loving incompetent shitshow and this will be a delight to write up when i get to the end of the trail, and well worth a few lost euros.

also I'm in the UK so this is completely covered by the financial conduct authority should they gently caress me around, so that's comforting.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Person with no financial or technical knowledge screeching at man currently at his work place in an agency focused on financial regulation: "your knowledge on this subject is pathetic compared to mine"

Imagine straight up lying to people because you're so afraid of being wrong. Looking at a search result, gazing into your heart and deciding "I know, I'll make up some bullshit."

What a loving horrid existence

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

scott zoloft posted:

*looks at his list of bank deposits (that means money going in) from coinbase and considers the severity of the magnitude in which he has been owned*

So post them then lol.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Imagine straight up lying to people because you're so afraid of being wrong. Looking at a search result, gazing into your heart and deciding "I know, I'll make up some bullshit."

What a loving horrid existence

well at least you don't need to imagine, that's the first thing discussed in the thread that you have actual knowledge about

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

well at least you don't need to imagine, that's the first thing discussed in the thread that you have actual knowledge about

You seem to be terribly enamored with these zingers, struggling with the content

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I was not asking "how many numerical transactions per second" I was asking what level of widescale adoption. That was the question I asked. You selectively interpreted (or are too dumb to understand what I ask) as "pick some retarded gotcha value with no explanation and throw it out smugly" which seems to be an issue on your processing end

have you considered that the answer meant "a level of widescale adoption at which bitcoin will be used enough to consistently have at lest 8 transactions per second"

that's how i read it and im confused about your repeated screaming that evilweasel refuses to answer your question, when it looks like he did

[edit] ah he already pointed this out himself nevermind

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok, I'm following there's 9 people that want to do a transaction

One of those people doesn't get to have their transaction processed. Then, in the next second, that leftover person is first in line, and nine new transactions enter the queue, for a total of ten (nine plus one equals ten, hun, keep up). Eight are processed, leaving two carryover. The next second nine more enter the queue, for a total of 11.

In just one hour there will be a total of 3600 users waiting in the backlog. You don't see a problem there?

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016
a lot of good points in this thread that i haven't read at all, but if you actually believe you can't turn bitcoin into usd you are extremely dumb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hmm are you having trouble understanding my question? What's wrong with you? This is non responsive, or it's an answer to something I'm not asking. So I don't know what the issue is here or how to talk to someone that responds with arbitrary stuff to contextually relevant questions.

so in your head, adoption is not at all correlated with the number of times the system is used

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You seem to be terribly enamored with these zingers, struggling with the content

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich please explain the technical aspects of existing bitcoin and/or existing actual cryptocurrencies (no theoretical currencies or bitcoin features that are "on the wiki") that provide the technical utility that is superior to existing mechanisms, and the manner in which it is superior to those mechanisms (identifying the mechanism) so we can discuss in what specific, tangible, verifiable way cryptocurrencies have value beyond being ugly e-tulips

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

RottenK posted:

have you considered that the answer meant "a level of widescale adoption at which bitcoin will be used enough to consistently have at lest 8 transactions per second"

Cryptocoins are capable of more than 8 transactions per second, right now, which is why he was going to great pains to try to put a bunch of caveats like "you can't talk about other coins" and "you can't mention coins that are not actively traded yet"

So like, he knows very well he's lawyering a technical limitation of Bitcoins and Bitcoins only, but that the exchanges let you transfer any coins, and that you can easily convert Bitcoin to some other coin, but the amount of work he put into trying to preclude talking about transactional coins made it clear that it was 100% a lovely gotcha response and not an attempt to engage in any real discussion.

Anyway, look forward to his response where he explains "Ah so you're admitting Bitcoin will never scale past 7" and ignores everything else posted

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Imagine being such an idiot that a person comes in and gives you a sincere run down on why Bitcoin is bad, and your response is a post that doesn't say much of anything or engage any technical points, then you screech about a man not being interested in posting a Google search as proof that he is a LYING CHARLATAN

Simply picture it in your mind

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Cryptocoins are capable of more than 8 transactions per second, right now, which is why he was going to great pains to try to put a bunch of caveats like "you can't talk about other coins" and "you can't mention coins that are not actively traded yet"

lol "that mean old evilweasel, not allowing me to answer his question by making something up that doesn't exist"

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Maybe the better way of looking at "8 transactions per second" is instead what that means per day, which is 691,200 transactions worldwide per day. This effectively means that if every person alive right now has one and only one bitcoin wallet (and companies don't), they will be able to do a little under one transaction every 10 days.

very late EDIT I royally hosed up, that's a number for 7 million users. For the 7 billion world population, it's one transaction every 27.74 years.

univbee fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 14, 2017

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

So like, he knows very well he's lawyering a technical limitation of Bitcoins and Bitcoins only, but that the exchanges let you transfer any coins, and that you can easily convert Bitcoin to some other coin, but the amount of work he put into trying to preclude talking about transactional coins made it clear that it was 100% a lovely gotcha response and not an attempt to engage in any real discussion.

if you want to talk about transactional coins all you have to do is:

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich please explain the technical aspects of existing bitcoin and/or existing actual cryptocurrencies (no theoretical currencies or bitcoin features that are "on the wiki") that provide the technical utility that is superior to existing mechanisms, and the manner in which it is superior to those mechanisms (identifying the mechanism) so we can discuss in what specific, tangible, verifiable way cryptocurrencies have value beyond being ugly e-tulips

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Who gives a poo poo about your own person HamCoin scam or whatever dumbass coin you're talking about?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

Imagine being such an idiot that a person comes in and gives you a sincere run down on why Bitcoin is bad, and your response is a post that doesn't say much of anything or engage any technical points, then you screech about a man not being interested in posting a Google search as proof that he is a LYING CHARLATAN

Simply picture it in your mind

Using the word screeching doesn't change the fact that you are taking time out of your day to lie to others and make up bullshit claims that you won't back up, for the sake of winning an argument, even though that actually misleads other people.

I genuinely think this is garbage behavior for a human being sorry dude I don't think making poo poo up that is incorrect is a good thing and doing it for an agenda is even worse.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

univbee posted:

Maybe the better way of looking at "8 transactions per second" is instead what that means per day, which is 691,200 transactions worldwide per day. This effectively means that if every person alive right now has one and only one bitcoin wallet (and companies don't), they will be able to do a little under one transaction every 10 days.

well you see, if you include imaginary coins that have capabilities that are on the wiki...

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

evilweasel posted:

if you want to talk about transactional coins all you have to do is:

No dude, I can't express my dislike for you strongly enough, and you've seen my posts about this and declared victory, so I know you read them. Please declare yourself the victor and I'm sure you'll be back next time there's a material update regarding Bitcoins.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

If Bitcoin is terrible and doesn't work but then another coin comes up that does work in the future, doesn't that mean that your Buttcoin investments were terrible, and that it was right not to invest

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is it a safe assumption that an exchange can't "cash you out" until they have enough RealBux to "cover" your cashout from other users' transactions?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No dude, I can't express my dislike for you strongly enough, and you've seen my posts about this and declared victory, so I know you read them. Please declare yourself the victor and I'm sure you'll be back next time there's a material update regarding Bitcoins.

will that material update include an answer to:

evilweasel posted:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

If Bitcoin is terrible and doesn't work but then another coin comes up that does work in the future, doesn't that mean that your Buttcoin investments were terrible, and that it was right not to invest

You're not married to Bitcoin dude, cryptocoins are all traded on exchanges and they have different uses for different things

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Waffle House posted:

Is it a safe assumption that an exchange can't "cash you out" until they have enough "cover" your cashout from other users' transactions?

an honest exchange would be cashing you out from the irl dollars the other guy put in: the exchange would not be buying and selling for its own account, just matching you with someone who wants to pay real money for e-pogs

it should always have more dollars in the bank than there are "dollars" on the exchange

if it has to wait it's because it lost/stole some of that

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

I told you I was just gonna make fun of you back at the end of that dumb big post, and I have not done anything but that since

This is the greatest truth possible

Also, a man crying because he did not get to scam people out of their money on internet pogs calling someone else a bad person is, at best, hypocritical

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You're not married to Bitcoin dude, cryptocoins are all traded on exchanges and they have different uses for different things

and those uses, and the ways they are superior to existing methods, are...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Hey, two people so far have explained in terms a child could understand how not being able to process more than 8/tps is a problem. Are you gonna acknowledge that or continue to be a crying little baby who can't stand just how much EW hurts your feelings?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Blade Runner posted:

I told you I was just gonna make fun of you back at the end of that dumb big post, and I have not done anything but that since

Also, a man crying because he did not get to scam people out of their money on internet pogs calling someone else a bad person is, at best, hypocritical

Don't lie to other people to make your case / joke, this is what goons have been about bitcoins for years and it actually, genuinely sucks dude. Don't lie to others, it's a pretty simple idea. The idea that most people can't get their money out after their account closes is a falsehood you made up.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Hey, two people so far have explained in terms a child could understand how not being able to process more than 8/tps is a problem. Are you gonna acknowledge that or continue to be a crying little baby who can't stand just how much EW hurts your feelings?

it actually can't process more than 7, and no more than 3.5 in real-world use (processing 7 requires each transaction be the minimum possible amount of data, which is about half of the data real-world transactions use)

bitcoiners claim they will get it to scale but they can't agree on it and they've failed miserably for years and one proposed fix (increasing the block size) would quickly move the network towards an unsustainable amount of internet speed and hd space required, and the other (the "lightning network") is vaporware that actually manages to work more poorly than bitcoin in practice

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is cryptocurrency usable to buy things in everyday life yet, ie. being a legit stable currency? Or is it still an investment vehicle scam designed to rip off rubes?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

COMRADES posted:

So post them then lol.

good idea!!!! :bisonyes:

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Bitcoins are monopoly money for retards

fbsw
Mar 3, 2016

Fantastic Flyer posted:

Bitcoins are monopoly money for retards

unless it is the only thing you can use because a) doing something illegal that shouldn't be illegal or b) your nation's currency is garbage

retard

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Is cryptocurrency usable to buy things in everyday life yet, ie. being a legit stable currency? Or is it still an investment vehicle scam designed to rip off rubes?

investment vehicle scam

there are some services that allow retailers to "accept" "bitcoin" where you send the bitcoin to the service, which then sends actual dollars to the retailer. every so often retailers have their own local ham sandwich talk about how they have to accept bitcoin its the future and they add that option. or they just get tired of bitcoiners going "I WOULD DEFINITELY SHOP HERE IF ONLY YOU ACCEPTED BITCOIN" and try

then, as retailers have repeatedly reported, nobody ever uses it. sometimes the only thing that happens is that a lightcoin or an etherium zealot shows up and asks that you accept that too. retailers that do a/b testing find out that the mere presence of a bitcoin option decreases sales as people associate (correctly) bitcoins with idiots and criminals. so eventually they quietly kill it, or bury it so deeply in pages of poo poo nobody ever finds it.

frequently bitcoin is so volatile that by the time you got it and can spend it, you don't have enough anymore.

for example humble bundle used to "accept" "bitcoin" but stopped because almost nobody ever used it, and the only people who did were programmatically repeatedly buying the product for the minimum so they could resell it.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

fbsw posted:

unless it is the only thing you can use because a) doing something illegal that shouldn't be illegal or b) your nation's currency is garbage

retard

if your nation's currency is garbage, you want good old american dollars

everyone in nations with garbage currency accepts american dollars. they do not want bitcoins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
mods please rename this thread to goons getting particularly nasty over missed gains.

• Locked thread