Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I personally think the parallel universe stuff is just a red herring/to gently caress with theorists. Although this is also my preference - if it turns out not to be the case, I'll be skeptical, but still willing to see where they're going with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

nipping it in the bud

Sam Esmail posted:

[Laughs]The problem with time travel — I’ve always said in the writers’ room that whenever you introduce time travel, it’s game over.
Then all of the rules go out the window. Throwing out time travel in the middle of a series run is a little late.

Mr. Mojangles fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 12, 2017

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
That doesn't preclude the possibility of alternate dimensions as was pontificated by that scientist. Mr. Robot being a manifestation of another Elliott would be an interesting twist. I don't think those huge machines we saw at the beginning were implemented just to control social media. I think there's more afoot than that, however, I think time travel might be a step too far at this point.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Well the show has me at least for the season just by using Paul Williams.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
holy poo poo Elliott's speech and how it mutated into a 90s-style EBN or Negativland video was amazing, and surprisingly on point.

reminded me of this one specifically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQZsKWV4mDo

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I only really enjoyed season 1 (plus the sitcom episode in s2) and the s3 premiere hasn't really brought me back around yet.
I feel like it's just treading water, waiting for a plot. Nothing really happened in this ep (he closes the back door and they open it again). Also, there's the slightest hint of sci-fi alternate reality twist stuff again. I haven't felt like the show has had a goal since s1.

It's well put together, but it feels exhausting to watch since we're doled out very little plot each week.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
White Rose and Angela at least believe they're doing something with alternate realities. I don't know if that's where the show will end up settling, but literally the only thing Angela could be talking about is some kind of deliberate relocation of one's consciousness into a "better" Universe - and the episode started with a guy talking about whether consciousness is spread over multiple universes or not.

I can't imagine she's talking about time travel because that wouldn't "totally undo" all the bad things. So she believes that whatever Mr Robot and Tyrell are doing, it will make that possible somehow.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I bet it's time travel or an alternate universe they're trying to reach, but in the end it's not going to work and the world will be hosed from the attempt.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
season finale is everyone's mind switching with a random other universe, and you have the full spectrum of "weird, where I'm from Hillary won" to "the robot deathsquads are gone?"

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Mind switching between alternate dimensions was the key plot to 2 games in the Zero Escape series. It might be interesting to explore, albeit odd to introduce now.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Quantum state existence and alternate realities is more likely than him just being a rich and powerful crossdresser that doesn't sleep much? :psyduck:

I really don't understand why creative exposition is getting interpreted as time travel and alternate realities in a show that does a pretty good job to try to represent it's main theme (hacking) in a factual way.

I didn't say it was more likely, I was talking within the context of the theory that they're legitimately hinting at pretty hard. Even without that context it's still perfectly plausible that Whiterose is a Mr. Robot/Tyler Durden-esque alternate of Zheng considering what we've seen of Elliot's condition, so calm your titties.

But from starting the episode with someone talking about alternate realities to the very prominent shot of an LHC-like device to Angela seeming to talk about a very literal way of making everything seem like it "never happened", they're definitely talking about something more than hacking.

n.. posted:

I bet it's time travel or an alternate universe they're trying to reach, but in the end it's not going to work and the world will be hosed from the attempt.
Like a version of Primer where it's presented very realistically, but everything screws up horribly. I wouldn't be surprised at all to find out Esmail is a fan of Primer.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Oct 12, 2017

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The zoom out on BD Wong at an LHC-type site is 110% time travel/alternate reality shenanigans.

Also, is Elliot admitting the attempted revolution just made things worse a commentary by Sam Esmail on Bernie Sanders???

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

But from starting the episode with someone talking about alternate realities to the very prominent shot of an LHC-like device to Angela seeming to talk about a very literal way of making everything seem like it "never happened", they're definitely talking about something more than hacking.

“We’re going to hack.....TIME”

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
In regards to alternate realities

“Mr. Robot” has always been interested in duality in its characters and structures. But this season it seems as if you’re getting into parallel universes.

We reveal more of Whiterose’s overall plan. It is still cryptic and still a mystery, but she clearly has an agenda and that agenda does involve parallel universes. The most powerful people in the world — not unlike a lot of people in our real world — go after these loftier goals because they can, because they have the money and the power to do so. In the “Mr. Robot” world there is a character who is fixated on this idea of parallel universes. Do they exist? And can she somehow find a way to harness that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/arts/television/mr-robot-season-3-premiere-sam-esmail.amp.html

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Josh Lyman posted:

Also, is Elliot admitting the attempted revolution just made things worse a commentary by Sam Esmail on Bernie Sanders???

I took that speech to be a commentary on no matter what has happened, whether you say "we let it happen" or "someone made it happen", at the end of the day what happens in your life is still your responsibility to worry about, which is why it ended with the Memorium wall of people who died directly because of Elliott. It wasn't very subtle, but it worked.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Now I'm wanting Mr. Robot to go full Sliders.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Harminoff posted:

In regards to alternate realities

“Mr. Robot” has always been interested in duality in its characters and structures. But this season it seems as if you’re getting into parallel universes.

We reveal more of Whiterose’s overall plan. It is still cryptic and still a mystery, but she clearly has an agenda and that agenda does involve parallel universes. The most powerful people in the world — not unlike a lot of people in our real world — go after these loftier goals because they can, because they have the money and the power to do so. In the “Mr. Robot” world there is a character who is fixated on this idea of parallel universes. Do they exist? And can she somehow find a way to harness that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/arts/television/mr-robot-season-3-premiere-sam-esmail.amp.html

That might put things into context, but at the same time people, knock that poo poo off. A show like this which deliberately screws with your perception lends itself to fan theories and analyzing every second of it, and I've seriously been surprised at what's been found, like that Angela's kidnappers in S2 had been stalking her in secret for several episodes if you look hard enough, to say nothing of the prison plot twist. And yet.

We don't even know what direction they're going with this. And all these random assed theories and predictions at the same time doesn't make you a super sleuth because you're sometimes right, it means you're discounting all the mistakes you made along the way. When you're in a pitch black room with a machine gun and the objective is to land a bull's eye on a target placed somewhere, where your only choice is to shoot in all directions, that you managed to land a hit doesn't mean you're some Navy SEAL level gunner, it means you're ignoring all the times you missed as opposed to the one time you got it right.

I remember a year ago one person said that Angela being in somehow on the plan to destroy Ecorp with Tyrell in the S2 finale meant she was secretly a sleeper agent trained from childhood or some stupid bullshit because otherwise it's not good writing that makes sense, and this person defended this theory to the nine. Ignoring of course that she was kidnapped by the Dark Army, "tested" for lack of a better word, and next we see her, she's clearly in on some info we're not privy to related to the plot. Gee, you think maybe she was recruited by Whiterose, something she'd be on board with considering she joined Ecorp with the express intention to destroy it from within, and it would be another cool twist of alliances forming and whatnot, in a season that ended with Elliot getting shot by a Tyrell who we weren't even sure was real before? Because that sounds perfectly plausible to me!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I refuse to believe that Whiterose standing in front of the LHC combined with Angela making cryptic statements about changing the past is a red herring.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Elliot or Angela or anyone for that matter, hacking a particle accelerator to time travel would be completely ridiculous and ruin this show.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Following that QR code to the Ecorp Resume at the bottom of the page the Contact Me link directs to some hidden subreddits set up for the show.

One of them is heavily hinting towards a parallel dimension:

https://www.reddit.com/r/REALMysterySpot/comments/74zb42/gravitational_waves_leaking_from_parallel/

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I can't wait for this thread to meltdown when time travel is in the show. I will welcome it though, Mr. Robot can do no wrong in my eyes.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I love time travel and all but I already have 12 Monkeys.

I guess true parallel universes are cool but I can always rewatch Fringe to see what happens when someone tries to "undo" the current universe.

And then there's Lost of course and also The Leftovers.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd really like for Mr Robot to be something more than the above and so far it has been and I will be disappointed if it's a rehash of one or more of them. Having said that it is really well filmed and acted so I'm in it 'til the end regardless.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Fried Watermelon posted:

Following that QR code to the Ecorp Resume at the bottom of the page the Contact Me link directs to some hidden subreddits set up for the show.

One of them is heavily hinting towards a parallel dimension:

https://www.reddit.com/r/REALMysterySpot/comments/74zb42/gravitational_waves_leaking_from_parallel/

This is basically this thread in a nutshell.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have complete faith that no matter what happens, esmail will make it good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm rewatching season 2 and it is definitely even better when you binge it. The Adderall part is still great

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
At this point, this show is too original and too well-made and interesting for me to really care if they introduce something that's sci-fi and considered a macguffin by some of you. I'd just like to see Esmail get to tell the whole story because at the very least, this whole scenario was originally written as a plot for a movie, so I'm guessing he'd have a pretty solid handle on the beginning and end. Give how awesome season 1 was in particular, I'm kind of excited to see how they move towards endgame.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
I expect the show to stay consistently pretty good while occasionally disappearing up its own rear end all the way to the end, I'm on board I think

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I get the feeling that the show will have some huge overall twist that has been in motion since day 1. Something like the whole story has been told between two parallel universes and only though some upcoming subtle hints will we be able to sort out which scenes were in which universe.

But that's just my wacky crackpot idea. Seems more thematic than a jump into a new Fringe series.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Guys it's not a LHC: that's what's really going on physically in Elliot's head (the camera shot tells all). Plus the show is called Mr. Robot!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

pahuyuth posted:

I love time travel and all but I already have 12 Monkeys.

I guess true parallel universes are cool but I can always rewatch Fringe to see what happens when someone tries to "undo" the current universe.

And then there's Lost of course and also The Leftovers.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd really like for Mr Robot to be something more than the above and so far it has been and I will be disappointed if it's a rehash of one or more of them. Having said that it is really well filmed and acted so I'm in it 'til the end regardless.

I love secret alter egos, but I can always watch Fight Club.

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

I just watched the newest episode and a thing that stood out for me (but my memory of S2 could be off) is that now, Angela calls it Evil corp when the camera does not suggest we are using Eliotts perspective. Before it was only evil corp when Elliot said it or heard someone else say E-corp right?

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

tvgm2 posted:

Guys it's not a LHC: that's what's really going on physically in Elliot's head (the camera shot tells all). Plus the show is called Mr. Robot!

:thunk: this makes too much sense

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

uncertainty posted:

I just watched the newest episode and a thing that stood out for me (but my memory of S2 could be off) is that now, Angela calls it Evil corp when the camera does not suggest we are using Eliotts perspective. Before it was only evil corp when Elliot said it or heard someone else say E-corp right?

No, I'm pretty sure that happened sometime in Season 1 already; subtly everyone started calling it Evil Corp regardless of POV.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

I don't know about the show having time travel at all, but the bit at the beginning linking the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics to mental states from philosophy of mind reminded me a good bit of some Roger-Penrose-inspired sci-fi I read recently, something I won't spoil even under spoiler tags. My interest is seriously piqued now. I'm going to be on the lookout for more of this this season.

Modus Pwnens posted:

Well the show has me at least for the season just by using Paul Williams.

When I first heard the beginning of the song I didn't recognize the voice immediately, but I felt it stir something deep within me, like it came from far back in my life. Then I was able to place it (on my own, thankfully) as sounding like The Penguin from Batman TAS. I was really delighted when I found out it was actually the VA singing.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.

I just skimmed the thread and didn't see this mentioned, but the shodan search works and it gives stuff, so you smart people get to work and figure stuff out

I found this javascript file, I'm not much of a programmer but it looks weird as hell
https://pastebin.com/njur3tQA

This looks hell of a lot more complicated than what it claims to be ought to be, but maybe I'm dumb and this is actually a normal rear end file.

e: nah i'm dumb it's just a normal rear end file

Highblood fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 13, 2017

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
It's not time travel, it's probably a parallel universe. My guess is that Elliot's dad was working on the particle accelerator and something happened to create an alternate timeline (with him getting radiation poisoning in the process). Maybe the other timeline is a place where Elliot's dad never dies so Mr. Robot never exists and 5/9 doesn't happen, or maybe it's a place that's equally as lovely as Universe A but in different ways. Knowing Esmail, it's probably the latter.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The last scene of this show is going to be Elliot, Darlene, their parents and Angela having a Christmas dinner, laughing and smiling as Tyrell and Joanna Wellick serve egg nog in a universe where everyone wears tiny hats on their feet, and hamburgers eat people.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I was a little annoyed that Elliot just schooled 10 teams of the best hackers world wide in like two minutes while recovering from a gut wound and also keeping an eye on the two murders watching him nearby. And all because that was the least effort way for him to get to a computer. Obviously he's amazing, probably one of the top hackers in the world, but he didn't used to be an untouchable god who for whom the rest of the planet was barely worth noticing.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I was a bit unimpressed by the premiere too. It had some good moments, production values are still pretty high, but.. very little happened and, what is worst, very little made me curious and wanting to know more. The big mystery about whatever the dark army is doing is not working for me, and I also really didint want to see this show dive into time travel/alternate dimensions crap

I also think the writing did seem to be a little weaker, and the scene where Elliot wins the hacker world cup in 2 minutes just to have access to a computer was quite over the top

I loved season 1, and quite liked season 2, even though in restrospect, it does have a very thin plot advancing at snails pace and the whole mothers house/prison thing, although really well done, added very little to it, and felt kinda gimmicky. So Im still onboard, but not as excited as I was during S1 and S2

Lets hope they dont do another "that thing you were seeing was actually something else and/or was just in Elliots head all along!" again

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Josh Lyman posted:

No. It's pretty clear that he's saying by doing what they did they only gave the people they did it against more power.

It's a common theme in history that many revolutionaries end up dying for what they believe in only to end up giving their better funded, larger (in a variety of ways) adversaries more power. They thrive in the chaos just as much as the one creating it does. Maybe even more so due to experience, planning and mostly importantly manpower and resources.

• Locked thread