Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The fourth trails in the sky game, trails of cold steel
The first legend of heroes eight game

Motto fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
legend of heroes 8: trails in the sky 8: trails of zero 5: trails of azure 4: cold steel 3: jedi academy

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Zaggitz posted:

spoiler free explanation of cs3's cliffhanger: it literally cuts to black and credits in the middle of a super pivotal scene that follows a bunch of crazy events and reveals.

why does falcom love to hurt people

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Terminally Bored posted:

What's the story behind that? Did they ran out of time again and decided to split the game FC/SC style?

The answer is "who the hell knows?" Kondo gave a relatively recent interview (a month or so release) where he actually answered a similar question, and basically said Falcom had given them free reign to make a CS4 in order to finish, but they'd managed to fit what they wanted into this game. So take that for what it's worth.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Colonel posted:

legend of heroes 8: trails in the sky 8: trails of zero 5: trails of azure 4: cold steel 3: jedi academy

Don't forget that LoH is a sequel to dragon slayer!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

The answer is "who the hell knows?" Kondo gave a relatively recent interview (a month or so release) where he actually answered a similar question, and basically said Falcom had given them free reign to make a CS4 in order to finish, but they'd managed to fit what they wanted into this game. So take that for what it's worth.

i mean the head of a public company isn't going to be like "drat we really hosed this one!" a week before the game is out

not that i'm saying the game is bad, i've enjoyed it a lot

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Falcom is a beautiful beautiful mess of subseries becoming their own series so technically 50% of their games are Dragon Slayer games. Im gonna continue just roling the rest of LoH as being amazing with the Trails subseries till they actually make it official.

Right now im hoping for another 10+ 100 hour per game interconnected series after Trails ends still under LoH.

If theres no resolution that means theres no To a Shining Tomorrow. THIS IS A CRIME OF THE GREATEST ORDER!

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

What's the deal with the older LOH games anyways? Would they be worth playing with a good translation? Are they worth playing now with a lovely translation?

Are they even vaguely connected to the plot of the trails games????

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I do find it amusng that Falcom still hasn’t dropped the Legend of Heroes billing entirely from the Kiseki/Trails games even though they very clearly could if they wanted.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Billzasilver posted:

What's the deal with the older LOH games anyways? Would they be worth playing with a good translation? Are they worth playing now with a lovely translation?

No clue about 1 and 2, older than I'm really willing to play and part of Dragon Slayer. 3-5 are the Garghav trilogy, most of the cool collectibles and game structure in 6+ were carried over from atleast here like monsters dropping gems you turn into cash, books and Plot Mandated Party. They got abysmal localizations by Bandai in the mid 00's that reordered the games introducing bugs and were rife with spelling errors, but the shine of Falcom shined through even then. Theyre great if you can get past the localization and preferably play then in actual order White Witch>Tears of Vermilion>Song of the Ocean since the gameplay atleast gets a bit better between them.

Now that I think about it, White Witch's plot was probably used to build up Sky and Tears of Vermilion on Cold Steel atleast based on main character stuff.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah my general understanding is that the gagharv trilogy games are pretty good story-focused rpgs with a neat combat system that the localization just kinda butchers

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah my general understanding is that the gagharv trilogy games are pretty good story-focused rpgs with a neat combat system that the localization just kinda butchers

Wasn't there also something about the PSP versions getting their battle systems replaced?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

OddObserver posted:

Wasn't there also something about the PSP versions getting their battle systems replaced?

yeah the old ones have a pseudo real time thing going on while the psp ones are just traditional, pretty spartan turn based

I've been meaning to try them but I couldn't find a copy either illegal or legal of the pc versions and have been dragging my feet in the psp ones for that reason (and remixed music)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I heard that the Chinese company Falcom works with to translate for China bitched about how the game was too long for them to reasonably translate, which is why it was cut short, but that's most likely a bullshit rumor.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
maybe you could try the ps1 or saturn versions of shiroki majo, i think those are closer to the pc engine version

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The Colonel posted:

maybe you could try the ps1 or saturn versions of shiroki majo, i think those are closer to the pc engine version

there's a legimate pc (not pc engine) remake they did in like 2000 that's the definitive version, which is what I want to play. I could probably get one through Yahoo auctions with a proxy site but they mark up like crazy so I've been lazy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Supremezero posted:

I heard that the Chinese company Falcom works with to translate for China bitched about how the game was too long for them to reasonably translate, which is why it was cut short, but that's most likely a bullshit rumor.

cs3? well it's the longest game in the series anyway

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Ys 8 was supposed to be the game which actually put effort into having a story and character arcs, bringing it closer to Kiseki in that regard. It just doesn't come through very well at all because NISA hosed it up completely. I still can't believe there are people elsewhere online defending NISA for having to relocalize the game from scratch and push the PC port back to December because it needs a major overhaul and still would rather have NISA handle future Kiseki games like CS3 or the Crossbell duology over XSEED.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/579180/discussions/0/1488861734121405654/

An update on the PC version. Probably gonna impact Durante's work on the CS2 PC port too.

He made some comments about this on NeoGAF:

Durante posted:

I'm not majorly involved, I just made the game twice as fast. A bit more actually.

In the 3 locations I used to track my progress it was like this:

I am pretty curious as to how similar Ys8 and CS1 codebases are....

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Terminally Bored posted:

So is it true that there will be CS4? Was that confirmed?

The ending of 3 more or less confirms it yeah. I seriously doubt they'd start the Calvard arc after that ending, which is a bigger cliffhanger than FC and CS1's endings combined and is a serious game changer for the series.

Billzasilver posted:

I haven't played LOH 2 even though I want to because the premise sounds insane but LOH 1 is a fairly bogstandard JRPG and is actually the sixth game in the Dragon Slayer series. It actually got an English translation for the Turbografx 16 complete with a hilarious dub and some name changes if you want to check it out. Gagharv (LOH 3-5) is very much proto-Kiseki, much of the building blocks of Kiseki were formed from the Gagharv games and some games in particular like FC takes influence from LOH 3 White Witch and wears it on its sleeve. Even the character archetype of Estelle comes from the heroine of White Witch, Chris. LOH 4 Tear of Vermilion is where the parallels to Kiseki start getting really interesting though and Kiseki has a similar structure complete with an antagonistic society seeking treasures of a divine figure (Bardus in LOH 4, Aidios in Kiseki) and LOH 5 Cagesong of the Ocean introduces the Doll Knight book, which has just as much foreshadowing in that game as it does in Kiseki and many names from LOH 5 are reused and referenced in Kiseki.

As for them being in the same universe, kinda unlikely but given that CS in particular has been the most heavy handed with the Gagharv references there's always a small possibility they're connected.

OddObserver posted:

He made some comments about this on NeoGAF:

I am pretty curious as to how similar Ys8 and CS1 codebases are....

That's good, I had worries that it would delay CS2's PC release because of NISA's incompetence.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rivals in beauty and Halloween

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Terper posted:

Rivals in beauty and Halloween

What is this from, and Olivert's nails really bring it together.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

MythosDragon posted:

What is this from, and Olivert's nails really bring it together.

Looks like the halloween event from Akatsuki no Kiseki, which is basically a trails gacha.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SC Bracer posted:

Looks like the halloween event from Akatsuki no Kiseki, which is basically a trails gacha.

I hadnt heard anything about it for like a year so I forgot it existed, oops.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

thank you for this effort post, I'll definitely try to check some of them out. LOH V probably potentially has clues for the future of the series so that'll be fun

quote:

I haven't played LOH 2 even though I want to because the premise sounds insane

Wikipedia posted:

The game is set some time after Prince Selios, the hero of the original game, has defeated the demon god Agunija. Iseruhasa is at peace. Selios has married Dina and she has given birth to Atlas. At the age of fifteen Atlas and his teacher Lowel spot strange beings in spacesuits outside of the capital city. They do not recognize the spacesuits and believe them to be monsters.
:psyduck:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
In the Steam version of Ys Origin, do you still need to complete the game to unlock the third character? I beat it ages ago and then didn't play it again. If you do, is there a way around it? I guess just a cleared game save file or something?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You only need to beat it once on Steam, though I do not remember the mechanism for enabling the third character afterwards. Either the game just knows and you'll get the option or yeah you'll need to load in a cleared save file.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
I know very little about LoH2 but I deeply love that this man is Cindy

Say hello to Cindy, everyone

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Sweet butterfly decal.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

thank you for this effort post, I'll definitely try to check some of them out. LOH V probably potentially has clues for the future of the series so that'll be fun

:psyduck:

Yeah I really should get around to it one day. There's not even a language barrier, I'm just lazy at getting to LOH 2.

Cagesong also gets referenced a lot in the music of the Trails series. The most obvious one being this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RpKzKLyyGk

Which will remind you of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7zjsM5nQA

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 12, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Oh, man :3:

That's an image that's sure to resurface whenever people talk about why game X had such bad voice acting and what could have been done differently.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That makes me happy. I have a real dumb grin on my face right now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

That makes me happy. I have a real dumb grin on my face right now.

Same.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
XSeed is the best and all other localization companies need to read this letter.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is super nice.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Everything I read from and hear about Brittany Avery makes me think of her as some savant-like real-life version of Estelle Bright. Irrepressibly chipper, uplifting, always with a large and heavy stick close to hand.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Oxxidation posted:

Everything I read from and hear about Brittany Avery makes me think of her as some savant-like real-life version of Estelle Bright. Irrepressibly chipper, uplifting, always with a large and heavy stick close to hand.

She got snared by FGO so no one's perfect.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

havenwaters posted:

What is FGO and why is it a bad thing?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

havenwaters posted:

Fate Grand Order?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Some Numbers posted:

What is FGO and why is it a bad thing?

it's the fate mobage and it's just a decent mobile game that has captured dozens of localization staff

it got spacedrake, too