Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
like the whole "fake emotion" line is also extremely blurry because scum will work themselves up but may not feel any "personal" attachment to that emotion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
But I mean I get the point, like this can shows up even more in real life games where people can literally fake storming off for a bit, and I dunno its gets really tricky there because sometimes like everyone at the table knows its all in good fun and the other player is being hyperbolic (not necessary lying about being frustrated) but then other times it can be real.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Just treat everyone as not real and every emotion as fake. Congrats u r lumpen

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

this community has grown weak for want of a lumpen i m o

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I don't see how appealing to emotion is any different than normal manipulation, or someone saying they're only able to play on their phone when that's not true. Your job as scum is to lie and bamboozle by any means necessary. I always saw appealing to emotion as a very crass amateur play that was a kind of last resort. Sometimes we put a lot of thought and effort into this dumb party game.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I've never gotten worked up to a genuine anger. More like a mild annoyance, the game being a game. I have played it up before as scum though. And while raw emotion makes me lean town, I don't think I've ever accused someone of doing so as scum.

I'm fine avoiding the whole issue though if it's easier on others. It's just a game that should be fun, not bothersome.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

do what works

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I remember when there were many lumpenesques and all posts were a paragraph minimum and people would engage each other with questions, rebuttals, and (my favorite) subtle insults. Now it’s just lurking and calling each other poo poo smh

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Diqnol posted:

I remember when there were many lumpenesques and all posts were a paragraph minimum and people would engage each other with questions, rebuttals, and (my favorite) subtle insults. Now it’s just lurking and calling each other poo poo smh

There have been recent(ish) games where 3+ players get into multi-page multi-paragraph slap fights and they can't keep track of their arguments so they lose all power to convince anyone else and it's not as good as you remember.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
this community is really hurting without me huh

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

I don't see how appealing to emotion is any different than normal manipulation, or someone saying they're only able to play on their phone when that's not true. Your job as scum is to lie and bamboozle by any means necessary. I always saw appealing to emotion as a very crass amateur play that was a kind of last resort. Sometimes we put a lot of thought and effort into this dumb party game.

I mean yeah it's a cheap trick and last resort, but I hate when it leads to people seeing actual anger and telling someone that they must be faking it. That's an awful feeling.

So yeah, I guess feel free to manipulate me with a sob story or showing emotion because I am an empathetic person who doesn't want people to be actually getting mad in this party game and will assume your feelings are genuine. I feel like it's a low blow for scum to do because it just makes us all a little more callous to each other.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Snooze Cruise posted:

this community is really hurting without me huh

Agreed every time I sign up for a game and you don't join I die a little bit inside

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Birdstrike posted:

There have been recent(ish) games where 3+ players get into multi-page multi-paragraph slap fights and they can't keep track of their arguments so they lose all power to convince anyone else and it's not as good as you remember.

Right?

Like honestly Diqnol you rarely play so how would you know what current games are like?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I would say the only thing I consider off limits in mafia (with the exception of stuff like racial slurs that should be off limits everywhere) is lying about IRL stuff.
If you're faking emotions in a game that's a valid tactic, but doing that and then being like "Sorry for being mad my mom's sick" is a pretty dick move.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But what if you are skiing for a couple days and people start calling you scum (which you are), so you invent a fake posting restriction and then lie about being mad because you got hit with a post restriction.

Is that cool?

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Discord if better than sheets imo

As a player who doesn't get or fake being emotional in games I really don't know that i have a serious leg to stand on in the discussion from a "modifying my play style" standpoint but I definitely feel like I have misread genuine emotions as faked in the past and would feel very bad if that spilled over past the game or if someone felt like their actual feelings were being discounted as a result of that; I can get on board with eliminating that as part of how I read people.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What if you post a fake role PM that says you're allowed to post your PM, and the moderator says it's okay, and you get a town dunked based on that fake PM.

And also you're town.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

But what if you are skiing for a couple days and people start calling you scum (which you are), so you invent a fake posting restriction and then lie about being mad because you got hit with a post restriction.

Is that cool?

Unequivocally yes

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
Definitely seconding rf though, lying about irl isn't cool

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

:justpost: and let mod sort it out

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Pinterest Mom posted:

What if you post a fake role PM that says you're allowed to post your PM, and the moderator says it's okay, and you get a town dunked based on that fake PM.

And also you're town.

You're probably really cool

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Pinterest Mom posted:

And also you're town.

Jonathan Fisk posted:

You're probably really cool

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
If this is a party game it's a pretty loving bad party here.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Asiina posted:

Right?

Like honestly Diqnol you rarely play so how would you know what current games are like?

I read them and I see the people playing.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Somberbrero posted:

It's a secret government training program to produce sleeper agents capable of detecting scum IRL

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It's a secret government training program to produce sleeper agents capable of detecting scum IRL

That can't be true, we would have been shut down as a failure years ago.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Asiina posted:

That can't be true, we would have been shut down as a failure years ago.

Nah we're all elites we'd never be wrong around normal people.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Somberbrero posted:

well, look who came

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Diqnol posted:

I read them and I see the people playing.

I mean then you'd see games like Shine IV or FF6 that had a massive amount of posts and genuine casing going on throughout the entire game.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, is it cool if, as scum, you catch a person trying to make some kind of point by making a bunch of votes and they end up voting for a random word, say Bazinga, so you rush off to votefinder and then assign the that vote to the person thus causing them to hammer themself?

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

Also, is it cool if, as scum, you catch a person trying to make some kind of point by making a bunch of votes and they end up voting for a random word, say Bazinga, so you rush off to votefinder and then assign the that vote to the person thus causing them to hammer themself?

Unequivocally no

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Unequivocally no

I think everyone else would disagree with you.

Although I should say that I never the hammer would actually count. I just did it for fun.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
This thread needs more Dragnix.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

TMMadman posted:

I think everyone else would disagree with you.

It's just annoying, because the vote doesn't count and you have to go back and manually remove it.

It's funny. It's not cool.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

It's just annoying, because the vote doesn't count and you have to go back and manually remove it.

It's funny. It's not cool.

It actually counted in the game in question.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

loving with votefinder is a little poor form but if it's from some idiot whineposting go for it

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

TMMadman posted:

Abso-bloody-lutely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
This reminds me of

Mornacale posted:

Oh hey, by the way Taste, sorry to hear your dad was in the hospital and I hope things are going well on that front and it's not what had you upset today. :glomp:

Tremendous Taste posted:

Nah I made that up, same with road trip and voice to text/"drunk" posting

Go big or go home

merk posted:

I make up being unavailable in games but I think this might be over a line, if a line exists.