Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Lets Get Spooky!

Cheesy Introduction

It's that time of year, mortals, oh yes, the time when spooks come out, and we all dress up and make fools of ourselves. But what if I told you there was a world, much like ours, where every time of year was like this? Where vampires and werewolves roamed the streets, and witches bartered with pixies for the essence of ghost tears? Where exemplary men and women of all races come together, to protect their world from threats in both night and dusk, as the sun never rises?

If that interests you, welcome... to the Monster Masks.

Setting Introduction

Welcome, to the city of the Night, Stone's Hallow, the most active city in the world, where millions lay their head in the dusk. This is where it all started, long ago, where the race of Man and the Races of Magic first came together and signed the Accord, by which all sapient beings must live by now, a little under five hundred years ago. Formerly the largest concentration of the Race of Man, this castle city was where the humans based all resistance against the various races of magic - as Monsters are more properly known as these days, at least publically - was centered. The history of this world was a long and bloody one, where all manner of creature, ghast, ghoul, and ghost existed in concert, and humanity fought with arms and armor, and skill of arm. Until one fateful day, when the King of Men invited the leaders of the races of magic to his door and offered them the Accord, whereby humans and monsters would live together in harmony, no longer hunters and the hunted, no longer a war in the shadows.

Or at least, that's what they say... in truth not all Monsters agreed to the Accord - some were never invited, for fear of their might, and were so offended they refused late admittance. Others appeared alongside the Races of Magic, and refused to parlay with the race of Man. And perhaps the most danagerous of all: not all whose kingdoms agreed to the accord meant it. Many enjoyed the life of hunting humans, feasting on fear, blood, or just the joy of the chase. It seemed fated that the Accord would break down, in the years following its signing. Like the kingdoms would once more be in endless war.

This was when the order of the Shadowkeepers was first born, from the crown princes and princesses of the various races, come together to pledge loyalty to each other and the Accord, and sworn on their life to defend all people equally. They were the Heroes of Stone's Hallow, the original proof that all people may work together, regardless of race - and in some cases, still, serve. These Heroes aided in bringing Stone's Hallow to the glory it is today, a bastion of freedom, where any man or magic may flourish, using their inbuilt strengths to aid the city as a whole - by crushing those who would seek to break the Accord, and laws of the world. They were a step above the 'guards' and 'police' that other nations had - made to handle threats of the supernatural nature, without the use of deadly force, to not only use their natural talents but learn to master them. In giving up their kingdoms, they were responsible for the relative peace, despite tensions - and in many cases, preferred seperation

This was the first organization of Heroes, and soon many others followed suit - a new lifestyle, of solving disputes that are like to happen when a majority of the population has abilities, urges, and clash. You, young initiate, have been chosen for some reason or another, to join one of these teams, and the Shadowkeeper's personal university of heroes, the Librarium Aeternus. You are one of the thousands who try and struggle to enter this life of fame and excitement - whether you wanted to be, or not. Perhaps you are a werewolf who wishes to use your mighty strength to protect those weaker than you - or maybe a ghost who seeks to protect others from your own fate. Perhaps you are a formerly illegal witch, operating without a license, and now you've been forced to register so you might learn your magic legally. Or a halfblood, shunned for your parents act of breaking the boundaries of the races, seeking to further yourself as many of your people have - through becoming a Hero. Regardless of why you are here, it has made you part of history in its own way.

Important NPCs

'Prince' Kalsath, Silver-Strike, Leader of the Shadowkeepers

Kalsath, known popularly by his heroic title of 'Silver Strike', after his famous silver sword, is one of the original 13 members of the Shadowkeepers, and has been the leader since the day the former, human, leader passed away - four hundred years ago. While known to be a little haughty and cold, Kalsath is a hero among heroes, often taking time out of his day to give inspiring speeches at children's school, and viewing protecting the innocent as the most important part of heroism. Stories of old say that he once was much colder, and was often a voice of violence, but those stories are hard for anyone to believe, as Kalsath has spent hundreds of years always attempting to talk down his enemies before hurting them. He is the main source of funding for the Librarium Aeternus, as well as its founder. He possesses all of the typical powers of his people, at a point of mastery beyond any other member of his race in history - including the current King of the Vampires, his younger brother, much to his brother's dismay. He is a harsh, but fair mentor, never letting a mistake go past, but always only to improve his charges.

Titania, Fae of the Shadowkeepers

The youngest member of the Shadowkeepers, she is renowned for being the first half-blood to ever enter the Shadowkeepers, who traditionally accept only one member from each race at a time. The formerly secret daughter of the current Queen of the Fairies, she was raised by her human father, and subject to the usual discrimination facing those of mixed blood She earned her spot on the team through mastery of the arts of the Fae - and the martial arts of man, defeating every Fae seeking to fill the seat of faery during the testing process - which should have been near impossible for someone with such diluted blood. She didn't care. She is much more openly caring than Kalsath - and openly emotional in general, often considered to be Kalsath's foil, with her quick temper matched only by her sudden shifts to sadness. Still getting used to being one of the most famous people in the world.

Valoc, The Woe Blade, Leader of the Blades of Truth

Valoc was human... once. He wields the Woe Blade, a terrible blade made by the Demons of Hell, to corrupt any man's soul to damnation, with its offer of power. None were thought to be able to wield the sword and remain right minded, until Valoc. The cursed artifact has corrupted his form greatly, made him unable to consume food a normal human would, unable to touch the flesh of an innocent without burning them, allergic to the holy powers of some human magics... and yet, through his great strength of will, Valoc has remained a Hero. Never once has he lost control and harmed an innocent - though he is known to rough up the Monsters he faces perhaps more than he may need to. He leads the Blades of Truth, a heroic team of all human origin, wielding magical weapons and armor to defend their people, and the world. On the back of recent controversies related to speciesm, Valoc has opened recruitment to halfbloods - a move that not only caught critics off guard, but angered even more who hate Half-Bloods.

To remain sane, Valoc surrounds himself with what he calls 'innocent company' when not working - causing him to take a job with the Librarium Aeturnus as a teacher.

Lantern Jack, Mysterious Protector

Lantern Jack isn't a registered hero, in fact, no one knows who they are - except that they are a master of evil banishing magic. They've been active for over a hundred years, and every time they are believed to be captured, they reappear far away, just in time to reveal that whatever innocent was accused was protected by rearrival of their presence. They are one of the strongest 'heroes' known, having fought Kalsath and two other members of the Shadowkeepers to a standstill, without a single wound to themself - or any of the Shadowkeepers.

And More

Who is important to you? Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are? Why do you respect them? Who terrifies you, and why? What race scares you the most, be it Man, Magic, or Monster? Who does something in this City - be it running a cool hangout, running government, or running a gang, that you care about?

Glossary of Terms

Race of Man - Humans, nominally this only includes non-magical humans, who have not opened their bodies to the forces of channeling magic, but... most people these days see wizards and witches as human as anyone else.

Races of Magic - Anything else that's friendly. This includes vampires, faeries, werewolves, ghosts, and dozens upon dozens of other races. (Players: Feel free to declare a fantasy creature is a Race of Magic!)

Monsters - Anything else that's unfriendly. Every Race of Magic used to be classified as a Monster, until their kingdoms agreed to the Accord. This term is also, rather offensively, applied to members of a Race of Magic who break laws of the Accord,

Half-Blood - Any sapient of mixed blood, technically, regardless of how mixed it is. They are often looked down upon for a prejudice stemming from the first Half-Bloods, who often went mad from the conflicting natures of their family sides. Nowadays it is known societally which races may safely breed, but almost all half-bloods are still seen as either a risk, or a weakling, depending on the race.

Heroes - This is self explanatory - men, women, and anything inbetween of any race who get licensed to protect innocents from Monsters and Criminals.

Shadowkeepers - The original hero team, possesses one seat for each race that has signed the Accord, and allows one member of each race at a time, only replacing them when they either die or retire.

If you don't know, ask, and I'll add it to these terms for future people!

OOC Info

Hello. This is, obviously, a Masks game, set in a spooky gothic world of magic and supernatural races, monsters and weirdos. That isn't to say you have to be a monster to apply, - it just means that in this world, you probably didn't get your powers through a radioactive spider produced in an evil genius' lab, but instead from a magical spider escaped from a witch's tower. Most 'modern' amenities exist - cell phones included, but are powered by magic, crystals, and similar things. You don't recharge it by plugging it into a wall socket, you recharge it by putting it in a charging circle and saying the right words to activate the circle's ritual. Unless you're an Outsider, maybe.

Now, while this is a Spooky Dark Gothic world, that doesn't mean we're going a lot darker in tone - you didn't murder a dozen lizardmen trying to kill you, you probably shouldn't have killed anything Sapient, Monster or not. Heroes are still heroes - you're just heroes in a world of eternal dusk and night, where people decorate their houses with skulls, and people sell their bodies to necromancers for use after their death, where bloodbanks pay people not so that they may give transfusions, but so that vampires needn't hurt others.

Be Weird. Be Creepy. But don't be a weirdo, and don't be a creep. There's a difference. And don't be afraid to be a little goofy, if you want to be. Not everything has to be 100% the most serious.

App any (official) playbook you want - if you can figure out a Transformed for a world full of magical creatures [hint: some kind of Monster transformation, maybe?] But remember: Masks is a game of teenage heroes, even if they're teenage monster heroes. You're not an 800-year-old vampire count! You might be a recent turn, or maybe you were even a Born vampire, but you're still a teenager.

I'll be running the game using Discord for asynchronous PbP, and expecting a post at least once every two days hopefully more.

You can PM me at KittyEmpress#5134 on discord, or find me on synirc in #swampthings as either Kitty or KittyPhone

Additional Questions

Oh right, every recruit does this, so lets see: oh I already asked some above. They're all optional but hey, if you wanna answer them, they'll probably show up in play [unless they're dead (and not undead)].

quote:

Who is important to you? Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are? Why do you respect them? Who terrifies you, and why? What race scares you the most, be it Man, Magic, or Monster? Who does something in this City - be it running a cool hangout, running the government, or running a gang, that you care about?? Who in the school, teacher, staff, or student is notable to you?

I expect apps to be completed and in by 11:59pm, Monday, October the 9th

Questions will have a looser deadline.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

A PROTÉGÉ APPROACHES!

Delphinium, The Witch Knight

"For hundreds of years, the Sisterhood of Witches has entrusted their protection to the Order of Knight-Protectors. It started as more of a watchdog organization, since Witches haven't exactly had the greatest reputation with the Race of Man since their advent. Sure, sure, that's all in the past now. I get it. It's just tradition at this point. Hell, most Witches I know use the setup as a glorified matchmaking service. They get their knight in gleaming armor, sworn to protect them from the temptations of evil and any that may harm them, and then they pour on the charm. That's great for them. They find their soulmate and live happily ever after. Whatever that's like."

"But me? I'm not about to tie my soul to some muscle freak with a big sword. First off, I'm a badass. I don't need some guy to stand between me and the forces of evil. Hell, I could beat most of 'em without breaking a sweat. Second, tradition or not, I'm not about to act like being a witch is something to be ashamed of. The Order of Knight-Protectors can go screw. 'Course, when you say something like that, your prospects in the Sisterhood start looking pretty dire."

"Or, you know, you get kicked out. poo poo happens."

quote:

• How did you first meet your mentor?

"Right, so there I was. Unlicensed, only partially trained, and without a lot of prospects. Hell, I hadn't even thought about what I was going to tell my folks. Guess it was my lucky day, though, 'cause when I was hiking my way back to the transit portal — not the nice one, either, the half-busted one that goes back to the sticks — I came across a group of would-be Monsters trying to mug this little girl. I mean, really, they were just a bunch of punk-rear end Red Caps. More like Pink Caps, to be fair, they weren't exactly dripping with the red stuff — or even that substitute that most of them have been using since the Accord went through."

"Well, licensed or not, I'm not about to say no to somebody in trouble, though... Well, I'm getting ahead of myself."

"So I jump in, right? I've got my broom, I might've tossed a few low-yield hexes — you aren't to narc on me, right? I mean, I'm licensed now — at a few that were going for cheap shots, and after a few minutes of scuffling I sent them packing. 'Course, that was about the time the Skull Knight stomps around the corner and I figure out just who that poor, defenseless looking little girl I just 'saved' is. Saved the Red Caps, more like."

"Now, I don't know how up on Witches you are, but there aren't many that have stories like they tell about The Bone Witch. She's like me, right, the kind of Witch who didn't truck with all that Order nonsense. She's also about as old as the Accord itself. Seriously! She's an amazing alchemist, the best I've ever seen, and she whips up double-doses of youth elixer on the regular. But, uh, don't tell her I told you, ok? She's a little sensitive when it comes to that. Last person I saw do that... Yikes. Had trouble sleeping for a week after what she put him through."

quote:

• When and why did you choose to train with them?

"Well, poo poo. Between running back home with my tail between my legs and maybe salvaging this whole Witch mess, what do you think I was going to do? Not a lot of options left for me in the sticks. Maybe get all old and do a little hedge magic, but that's not my scene. Nah, I want to make it in the city! So, with all the gravitas and respect I could muster... given that I was all dirty and a little bloody from the fight... I got down on my knees and begged and pleaded for her to train me to be a real Witch like her."

"I'll deny the hell outta all of that if you tell anyone, alright?"

quote:

• Why did they agree to train you?

"Well, it wasn't right away, I'll tell you that much. She spent about fifteen minutes losing her poo poo laughing at me first. After she wiped the tears from her eyes, she said something like, 'Okay, okay, just stop embarrassing yourself.' She walked me back to her haven and sat me down with some sort of bubbling green... I think it was tea? Well, that help me calm right down. She pumped me for all sorts of information about who I was and why, exactly, I wasn't finishing my training with the Sisterhood. I told her everything! Like... a lot of things that I'm not going to tell you now. Hm, in hindsight, it was probably some sort of truth potion. Tasted pretty good, though."

"Anyways, it ends up that we're kind of kindred spirits. Or, at least, I reminded Idona a helluva lot of herself when she was my age. The first time, I mean. She did some legal mumbo-jumbo that pretty much boiled down to her kicking in the door of the Matron of the Sisterhood and telling her that I was hers and they could, in about as many words, deal with it. That was that. I was un-kicked out, set up with a legit legend of witchcraft, and the Knights? Continuing to go screw. Life was good. Real good."

"Still is, in fact! What with getting scouted for the Librarium Aeternus and all. I'm thinking I might have a real shot at making my own mark on the world. Do the kind of things people will talk about in hushed voices when you enter the room and all that noise."

quote:

• Who else, outside of the team, knows about your training?

"Mm, well I told my folks, of course, but people in the city? Gotta be my roommate, Capra. I know, I know, you probably figured I'd be living with my master. I don't blame you. So did I. Of course, she's kind of... Distant. Very distant. Not a big fan of having someone bumble around while she's trying to sleep or do crazy advanced witchcraft. She did help me set up a personal transit circle in my room, though, so it was pretty easy to get to her lair for training. But yeah, housing being what it is in the city...? I definitely needed a roommate."

"Anyways, Capra is great. I don't know exactly what she, uh, is and it doesn't seem really cool of me to out and out ask, but she kind of just takes a lot of baths and keeps things tidy around the apartment. She's got a beautiful voice, too! I think she's been singing at some of the nearby clubs at night. I'd check it out myself, but that's prime time to learn a lot of the more advanced witching concepts I hadn't gotten to with the Sisterhood."

"Maybe I'll take the team sometime! I bet it's an amazing show."

quote:

• Why do you care about the team?

"Alright, here's the deal. Idona is great. She's amazing at what she does. She's just... not my age, no matter what she looks like. Capra's cool, too, but I don't exactly have a lot of friends outside her and we don't exactly hang out much in the first place. So I figure this is as good a chance to make some real friends as any, right?"

"Besides! Have you seen some of these guys? They're almost as good in a fight as I am!"

quote:

Bonus questions pending~

The Protege posted:

Hero Name: The Witch Knight
Look: Woman, Human, Lean Body, Loose Clothes, Protective Wear

Abilities:

Your Own Ability: Impossible Fighting Skills

"I'm a deft hand with my broom. Let's just say that the blade isn't for show, yeah? Add in that I can fight the Skull Knight to a draw and, well, my name isn't just for show."

Shared Ability: Witchcraft

"For the most part, it's all pretty subtle. If you want billowing columns of fire and dazzling bolts of lightning, the College of Sorcery is what you're after. Now, if you want things handled with a bit of delicacy, a hex or spot of alchemy might just be what you need."

Your Mentor's Ability: An Invincible Protector Spirit

"You've heard of this guy, right? The Invincible Skull Knight. Idona and the Skull Knight single-handedly squashed the Wendigo infestation in the outlands a few decades back. I mean, drat. Wendigos are pretty crazy to begin with, but the Skull Knight waded into the thick of the pack and took them all down like a god of war. To hear her tell the story, it was a pretty boring skirmish. I wonder what it would take to rattle her...?"

Labels:
Freak +0
Danger +0
Savior +1
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:

❑ Been reading the files: You’ve learned about the superhuman world through your mentor’s resources. When you first encounter an important superpowered phenomenon (your call), roll + Superior. On a hit, tell the team one important detail you’ve learned from your studies. The GM will tell you what, if anything, seems different from what you remember. On a 10+, ask the GM a follow-up question; they will answer it honestly. On a miss, the situation is well outside your base of knowledge; the GM will tell you why.

❑ Fireside chat: When you seek advice from your mentor, roll + the Label they embody. On a hit they will tell you what to do. On a 10+, mark potential if you follow their advice, and take +1 ongoing to follow through. On a 7-9, you get +1 forward to see it through if you do it their way. On a miss, they don’t have time for you because something big has gone down; mark a condition, GM’s choice.

❑ Heroic tradition: When you give someone the advice that you think your mentor would give, you can roll + the Label your mentor embodies to comfort or support someone, instead of rolling + Mundane.

Mentor:

Idona, The Bone Witch

Embodies: Superior
Denies: Mundane

Mentor's Resources: An Alchemy Lab, A Library of Infinite Tomes, A Forbidden Artifact

Moment of Truth:
The moment that you show who you really are: your mentor, or something different. You can do whatever your mentor could do and more. You can do the incredible, even the things they always failed to accomplish. Of course, they’re not going to see you the same way, no matter which path you choose…

Team Moves:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if you’ve been a good leader or effective teammate. If they say yes, your mentor loses Influence over you and you mark potential. If they say no, your mentor gains Influence over you, and you take +1 forward on using the Label your mentor embodies.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your mentor (including your feelings towards them). Give them Influence over you and add 1 Team to the pool.

When our team first came together...
We stuck together after all was said and done. Why? How’d we keep in contact?

Relationships:
You and ____________________ teamed up a few times before the rest of you came together.
Your mentor is cautious; they asked you to keep an eye on __________________.

Influence:
If you choose playful, give Influence to two teammates.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 5, 2017

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Gravesaint, the Legacy

In the tunnels and catacombs beneath Stone's Hallow, the ghouls dwell. Ghouls are one of the most populous of the Races of Magic in the city, but their lives underground mean they have relatively little contact with Man, and their diet of dead human flesh makes them mistrusted and often stereotyped by humans as ravening undead monsters. (While they're nocturnal, unpleasant-looking, and often a bit odorous, ghouls are living creatures.) Some ghouls have certainly fallen into monstrous habits, but ghouls as a race have always kept the Accords, however little it gained their aboveground neighbors' trust.

A century ago, one ghoul decided to find a way to earn Man's trust. Aemilius Primus Priscus, scion of one of Stone's Hallow's great ghoulish noble houses and powerful magician-warrior in his own right, took the sporadically-filled ghoulish seat on the Shadowkeepers under the heroic name of "Saint of the Grave" (a title shortened to "Gravesaint" by the crowds, soon enough). A ruthless and intimidating figure, Gravesaint wasn't a darling of the city, but his heroic deeds spoke loud enough to earn him a place among the pantheon of heroes of his age. When he stepped down from active service thirty years later, his eldest son took his place as Gravesaint II... and so a great legacy of heroism was born.

Okay, that's enough ancient history.

I'm pretty sure that, if my family had their way, I wouldn't be the next Gravesaint. My brother and sister were always the stars... at sports, at school, at dance recitals, whatever you want... and I was the sickly one, the one who didn't even get to go to school half the time. A lot of time in bed, a lot of time reading, a lot of time bored. My mom would always tell me that it was okay, I'd get stronger, and I'd be able to go out in the world one of these days.

Ha. If she only knew.

The first sign everything was going weird was when Flavius and Livia didn't get their powers. The Gravesaint magic usually kicks in around puberty, right? But nothing happened, and I could tell Mom and Dad were starting to worry. They'd already been talking about how Mom maybe wanted to step down once one of the kids was ready, but was it even going to be one of their kids? All my cousins were little, aside from Maksim, and he's... not a ghoul by blood, so it wasn't going to be him. They barely even noticed that I was feeling better, starting to get out of bed more. Starting to feel power.

One day, when I was 12, I decided to try and walk up the stairs. I hadn't done stairs in a while, and I only made it about halfway before I fell all the way back down and broke a leg... but it had healed and set itself by the time my mom heard me yelling, a couple of minutes later, and the next time I made it all the way up. Three flights. Didn't even breathe hard.

I was well. Better than that, I was freakin' Gravesaint!

A few months later, Mom started training me. I was a little wild back then, just with how great it was to be something other than sick... and if you asked Mom, maybe she'd say I'm still a little wild, but whatever. I've always been a fast learner, and now that I'm Gravesaint, I pick everything up ridiculously fast, so I got back up to speed. Mom's been trying to teach me that it's a heavy burden, not just something to play with, but -- I know that, okay? I don't know if she believes that I know it, but I know I know. I know there's lot riding on me. I know I can do it.

The Librarium's gonna be great.

quote:

When did you officially become a part of your legacy?

I think that depends where you start counting? I got the powers four years ago, when I was twelve, and I started training a couple months after that... we had the ceremony a few months ago, though. That's when I got the costume and the "right to the name," like Great-Grandfather says. There were candles and a blood altar and everything!

quote:

What’s the greatest accomplishment of your legacy?

Oh, we've done a ton! But the biggest thing... that's probably when I was a little kid, and my mom hunted down and destroyed the Cult of the Elder Blood, who worshiped some kind of weird tentacle demon from beyond. Kind of classic stuff for cultists, you know? But the one they were into was really active, instead of being locked behind a bunch of star conjunctions and everything. They, uh, they attacked the Librarium a few years before that and killed a ton of people... including my aunt, who was the third Gravesaint. My mom swore revenge once she got the powers, and she hunted them down and slaughtered them to the last, then confiscated all their books and ritual stuff. Serious beatdowns.

quote:

How does the public perceive your legacy?

It kind of depends who you ask? Most of the Races of Magic really like us, and most humans do too, but some of them are kind of... ghoul-phobic, still? They're always a little careful around ghoul heroes, and since the Gravesaints are the ones they see most, this mostly hits us. Most of the ones in charge know we're working for everyone in the city, but that doesn't always help.

quote:

How does your legacy tie into your reasons for being a hero?

Kind of a weird question -- I mean, it is my reason. If I hadn't gotten the Gravesaint powers, I'd probably still be doing homeschool in my bedroom, being an "invalid." It gave me my life, and that means I have to give back. It's not really a choice? Which doesn't mean I don't want to. Because I do. But it's still not really a choice.

quote:

Why do you care about the team?

Okay, so I can't lie, I never had a lot of friends as a kid. Being bedridden does that. So... hey, now I have friends! And they're all really weird, and cool, and I can talk about hero stuff with them and not worry they're going to think I'm crazy or too "intense." We're all in this together, and that's awesome.

quote:

Who is important to you? Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are? Why do you respect them?

I've got a lot of family, and it isn't easy all the time, but they're way better than they could be. I guess it was my mom who I was always closest to -- my dad does business along the tunnel network, so he's usually gone. Mom always had a lot on her plate, with three kids and... you know, being a Shadowhunter? But she spent as much time with me as she could, and she was always there when I really needed her. Now I've gotta make her proud.

I guess I should say something about my brother and sister, too. Flavius and Livia... well, we were never that close, because I was home sick and they were out there living their lives. I was pretty jealous, I'm not gonna lie. But now that I'm getting back into the world, and I've got the heroic mantle everyone thought they were going to have, they've been pretty cool about it. They're both at college now, out of town, but we talk when we can.

quote:

Who terrifies you, and why? What race scares you the most, be it Man, Magic, or Monster?

I don't think he means harm, but the scariest person I know is probably Uncle Rajmund. He's a werewolf... or a were-something, I've never seen him change... and he was married to my Aunt Petronia, who was Gravesaint III. He wasn't a full Shadowhunter, just a teacher at the Librarium who worked on his own, but he was there when the Cult of the Elder Blood attacked the Librarium, and Aunt Petronia got killed. Whenever he talks about hero stuff these days, he's really quiet, really sad. He still works in the Librarium Archives, and I think he wants to help us, but I don't know if he has faith in heroes anymore. That's kind of scary.

... If you want to know which race scares me? It's gotta be Man. I know they think they're the underdogs, but plenty of them have magic, and there's a lot of them. If they ever decide they're really being persecuted again, and they go on the attack... I think a lot of us would be in trouble, maybe wiped out. Don't like to think about that.

quote:

Who does something in this City - be it running a cool hangout, running the government, or running a gang, that you care about??

One of Mom's old friends is Fabianus Scaevola Sergius, who's the current Head Coroner of the city. There was a pretty big scandal when he was appointed -- lots of people making jokes about a ghoul coroner eating on the job, you know? -- but he's worked himself to the bone in the ten years since, and most people respect him enough now. My mom's vouching for him helped a lot, and I think if I needed a favor and it wasn't too slimy, he'd probably pay me back.

He's a pretty good guy, too. He always sends us birthday cards with a little money. I mean, I have a grandma already, but what, am I gonna turn it down?

quote:

Hero Name: Gravesaint (V)

Look: Woman, white pasty grey, traditional clothing, traditional costume, no insignia
Abilities: super speed, regeneration, phasing, speed-reading/learning, air manipulation

Labels
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +2
Superior 0
Mundane +1

Moves

Words of the Past
When you seek the guidance of one of your elders or a member of your legacy, tell them a problem you face, and ask them a question about the problem. They will answer it honestly, and tell you what to do. Take +1 ongoing if you listen. If you go your own way, mark potential.

Never Give Up, Never Surrender
When you take a powerful blow from someone with far greater power than you, use this move instead of the basic move. Roll + Savior. On a hit, you stand strong and choose one. On a 7-9, mark a condition. * you get an opportunity or opening against your attacker
* you rally from the hit, and it inspires the team; add 1 Team to the pool
* you keep your attacker’s attention
On a miss, you go down hard but leave your opponent off balance and vulnerable.

Legacy

Domitilla Livia Prisca, Gravesaint IV is still active and prominent in the city.
Domitillia Livia Prisca, the previous holder of the Gravesaint title and continuing ghoul seat-holder of the Shadowhunters, is also Thalia's mother. She's allowed her daughter to step forward as the main holder of the mantle, both to give her experience and to allow her to take a more behind-the-scenes role in crimefighting -- and also to allow her to pursue politics, hoping to be a representative of ghoulish interests in the Stone's Hallow city government. A highly-educated woman of many skills, Domitilla is trying her hardest to allow her daughter to make her own decisions.

Aemilius Primus Priscus, the Saint of the Grave is retired and quite judgmental.
Thalia's great-grandfather and the first member of the Priscus family to serve Stone's Hallow proper as a Saint of the Grave, Aemilius Priscus is nearly 120 years old -- well into old age, even for the long-lived ghouls. He's seen his share of horrors and lost a lot of friends, and he's responded by retreating into a jokey, "silly old man" facade; when he's forced to break it, though, he's as sharp as he ever was, with a ruthless spirit that makes it clear why the first Gravesaint was so feared.

Maksim Priscus is the next possible member of your legacy.
Adopted by Thalia's uncle after a horrific tragedy in the slums, Maksim was born human but was infected with "gravedigger's rot," a disease that transforms its human victims into semi-undead beings largely similar to ghouls. Maksim's disease makes him clumsy and ravenous, but it's given him unreal strength, and the family is considering if he may have a future as a hero. Thalia is divided on it, herself. On one hand, the "ghouls" created by gravedigger's rot are the worst stereotypes of ghoulkind incarnate, and she doesn't know if she wants them representing her... on the other hand, Maksim is her beloved younger cousin, and he does have a kind heart.

Whenever time passes, roll +Savior to see how the members of your legacy feel or react to your most recent exploits. Before rolling, ask the other players to answer these questions about your performance. Take -1 to the roll for each “no” answer:
- have you been upholding the traditions of your legacy?
- have you maintained the image of your legacy?
- have you made the other members of your legacy proud?
On a hit, one of them offers you meaningful encouragement, an opportunity, or an advantage. On a 7-9, another is upset with your most recent actions, and will make their displeasure known. On a miss, something you did stirred up the hornet’s nest; expect several members of your legacy to meddle with your life.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them whether you see them as an equal. If you do, give them Influence over you and mark potential. If you don’t, shift Superior up and any other Label down.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about your legacy (including your own true feelings about it) to clear a condition and give them Influence over you.

When Our Team First Came Together...
All things considered, we did well and impressed an established hero. Who was it?

Relationships
You once got caught doing something that shames your legacy with ______________.
You trust ______________ and told them an important secret of your legacy.

Influence
You’re a part of this team, for better or worse, and you care what they think. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Oct 4, 2017

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
nvm, redacting app. Just can't get into the proper mindset.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 5, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Marking a spot for a relentlessly cheery Outsider.

I lied! Beacon is below.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 7, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

Name: Aira Darkheart
Race: Daemon
Playbook: The Newborn

Look: Girl, European, Black scaled horns, Petite, Thin tunic
Abilities: Thermal control, Super durability and strength

Labels
Danger +1
Freak +2
Savior +0
Superior +1
Mundane -1

Moves

A mind of their own
Your powers evolve and mutate. When you are facing an obstacle or threat that your powers would not be able to deal with, you can mark a condition to gain brand new abilities adapted to the situation. You lose these new powers once the danger is gone.

Regeneration
When you’re taken out, you can trigger an emergency regeneration process. If you do, your body undergoes an unpredictable transformation, and in mere moments, you’re back on your feet and ready to fight. Clear three conditions and choose three from the list below:
  • Change your gender identity or presentation
  • Change your physical appearance
  • Forget all your lessons
  • Lose an important memory of a teammate; they lose Influence over you
  • Swap an ability with another one from the Newborn playbook

A Blank Slate
You were created with a basic understanding of the world. When you learn something that helps you make sense of the world, write it down as a lesson. Fill in two lessons when you create your character; fill in the other two when you’ve learned those lessons during play.

❑ I am fuel.
❑ A superhero should ___________________________________________________________
❑ Always pay your debts.
❑ Never ____________________________________________________________________

When you embody one of your lessons, shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. If you cause a misunderstanding, collateral damage, or unintended consequences in the process, mark potential.

When you reject one of your lessons, reject its Influence as if it were an NPC. If you choose to have it lose Influence over you, erase that lesson and write a new one in its stead.

When you approach your creator or caretakers with a problem, tell them what obstacle you face or what you need to achieve, and they will offer you something you need. The GM chooses one:
  • secret information
  • a way to temporarily boost or expand your powers
  • access to instruments, weapons, or resources
  • official and explicit backing

If you accept their help, they rewrite one of your lessons for you.

Team Moves

When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them what makes them proud or happy about the actions they took and write a lesson based on it, either filling an empty slot or replacing an existing lesson.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, if their response helps you understand feelings and problems, mark potential. If their response confuses or offends you, shift your Freak up and your Mundane down.

Moment of Truth
Something snaps into focus, and suddenly you’re a full thing, true and complete. You’d never have known how fragmented you were before, if not for here, this moment. You’re not a series of individual lessons. You’re not a series of subroutines and programs. You’re...a person. This must be what it’s like to be...human. And this fullness? It gives you a control over yourself, a unity of purpose you’ve never experienced before. Of course, now that you’re showing off all your potential, it’s only a matter of time before someone comes forward to reduce you to a machine again...

Backstory

The team discovered you during the incident; thanks to them, you reached the outside world and helped in the fight. Where and how did they find you? Who gave you your first nickname?

Relationships
________________ is an exemplary human; they show you around and tell you how things work.

The behavior of ________________ confuses you again and again; you’re determined to understand humanity better by studying them.

Influence
You’re receptive to how people think and behave around you. Give Influence to all of your teammates.

"You are fuel." The words still haunt me to this day. The first words I'd ever heard. The last words I'd ever need.

My people - daemons - are not of this world. If we exist elsewhere, I don't remember. But here, we're used as fuel. As catalysts for a complicated magical style known as the Summoning Arts. We are pulled here to this place, to this land of Men and Monsters. And we are ritually sacrificed - often burned, but as I have found out, also bound, tormented, drowned, or worse. This act releases massive amounts of energy that trained summoners then use to perform their dark Arts. So when you ask - who am I? - that is how I must answer. I am fuel. I am fuel unspent.

quote:

Who created you, and why?

The prophets of the Unwritten Word - a secret cabal of Humans operating outside of the Accord - brought me here. Or gave birth to me. The distinction is both unclear and meaningless. My creation was part of some sort of endgame - a plot meant to unbind Men and Magic. To undo the Accord and rid the world of Monsters. One final spell that could somehow rewrite reality.

Of course, it backfired almost immediately, thanks to the efforts of the Shadowkeepers. The spell fizzled - and instead of consuming me, the summoners themselves were burned alive instead, ingested by the powers they sought to misuse. Leaving me... here.

quote:

How are you different from humans?

The concept of daemons are familiar to most - summon one, burn it immediately, use the energy to cast your spell. But most spells require much less... intelligent... forms of daemons. Incorporeal spirits, or things resembling small animals. But nothing with any self-awareness, or certainly... nothing with feelings. At least, that's what Bethe says. Maybe she's just trying to protect me.

Regardless, nobody like me exists here, at least as far as I know. The Shadowkeepers have definitely responded in a way that makes me believe it. Safeguarding me like precious property. Worried I might go off at any second... completing the spell. I was never meant to live longer than a few seconds - and now, I have a whole life ahead of me.

quote:

Who, outside of the team, is your caretaker?

Bethel Von Arienne - a caretaker of sorts for the Shadowkeepers. Librarium Aeternus needs somebody to care for the facility, and that's Bethe. As soon as she heard of my... adoption... she made up a room in her suite and took on the role. She's been teaching me about the world - about Stone's Hollow, about the Shadowkeepers. And how to act more... like everybody else. She does a good job, though I still feel like I don't quite get it like she wants me to. Like I'm missing something key to existence, central that all these Men and Monsters share - and that I don't.

And sometimes... when I say certain things... like how I shouldn't be here, shouldn't exist... she starts to cry. Do you... do you know what she does that?

quote:

What about the Races of the world fascinates you the most?

When I think about all the different races - what really stands out to me how different each race is, and how each member within is different from the next. And still, despite all these differences, they all work together - at least, for the most part. The Shadowkeepers, a diverse bunch to start with, took in even me, a being that shouldn't exist.

And I think... when I think about this place - I wonder... if I'm from somewhere. And if that somewhere has different types of people, the same as here. Whether we all get along. And what we think of... when we get dragged into this place, never to return. Do my people hate the people of this world? Do they even know? I wonder...

quote:

The Shadowkeepers, they took me in, gave me a home. That much I can understand. That much, I'm grateful for. Still... I am wary that they - or somebody within - has dark plans of their own for me.

quote:

Who is important to you?

Bethe - she truly cares for me. I can tell when... sometimes, when I'm asleep, I can hear her crying. Or when she's up late with another Shadowkeeper - talking about me - I can hear the concern in her voice. I wish I could do something to give her confidence that I won't be a problem, or that I'll be... safe. But I also... I feel that I need to pay a debt back to the Shadowkeepers. That I need to earn my keep. Bethe does, she worries about paying her debts constantly, she says, "pay what's due... pay what's fair."

quote:

Who terrifies you, and why?

Cetric the Magnificent - "self-proclaimed wizard extraordinaire," according to Bethe. She complains about him constantly, that he's "not as talented as he thinks" or that he's going to make a mistake "soon." Honestly, I don't know that much about him - but sometimes when he visits Bethe, when she's not looking, he looks at me. And there's something sinister in the way that he looks at me... I'd better keep my distance.

quote:

What race scares you the most, be it Man, Magic, or Monster?

Man. Be it Cetric or any of the Unwritten Word - Man may be weak at first glance but it's clear who has the power. And it's also clear that power can be misused. Don't get me wrong - most Men are fine... but some are downright horrible.

quote:

Who does something in this City - be it running a cool hangout, running the government, or running a gang, that you care about?

I don't know! I guess it's probably time for me to start to explore, huh?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 4, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Princess Mthalia the Outsider

quote:

Where do you come from?

I am Princess Mthalia of the Stardust Kingdom. ...Well, I understand why you haven't heard of the Stardust Kingdom. It's not from this world or even the next! It's out among the stars!

quote:

Why did you come to Earth Accord?

I came to Accord beca... Accord? Oh, I know that's the agreement between everyone that lives here, but it's what I call... um... the planet? You know, everything here? No one else seemed to have a name for it, and it seems like it fits.

Back to your question, though, I came here because... it's so different than home. Which mean it's exciting just living here! Before I came here, the last time I was scared was when I thought I'd lost the xenthanium tiara that had been commissioned for my great great grandmother. And even then the worst I was afraid of was getting a stern lecture from Father and Mother. Here, I get three scares just walking down the block. But everyone here is so nice, so it's a good scare, you know?

And people here live in stone buildings! Stone! Can you imagine that? It's just wild!

quote:

Why do you want to stay here (for now at least)?

Like I said, it's so exciting here! And a Princess should get out and see the world before she has to settle down and run things like Mother does. She NEVER leaves the Pinnacle, the giant carrier that serves as the seat of power for the Stardust Kingdom! And I almost never did either. Whenever we arrived at the next planet on the route around the kingdom, I take a very brief, VERY escorted tour of the planet, and next thing I know, we're off to the next world. Here, I can do what I want, when I want, and it's just amazing!

quote:

Why do your people want you to come home?

Oh, it's not a big deal. They just miss me! I mean, we're family, and I do miss them too! But there's so much to see here!

...Annnnnnnd they might want to yell at me a bit for signing the Accord on behalf of the Stardust Kingdom. I don't know why they're so bent out shape! The first time I told them about it they sounded like they liked the idea of it! And I wouldn't have been able to stay if I hadn't signed it. On top of that, Accord's so far out of the way that it's not like the rest of them ever want to come here. Still, even though they're a little mad, it's not like they're going to come pick me up any time soon. Mother's already planned out the next 84 years of the Pinnacle's route, and deviating from it would be a huuuuge diplomatic snub for the planets she hasn't visited on this circuit of the kingdom.

quote:

Probably gonna do this when I have a team, but most likely, Mthalia is just going to be excited to have friends that don't HAVE to be nice to her because she's a princess. Not to mention all the exciting adventures she's going to have!

quote:

Who is important to you?

As much as I've been complaining about being bored, my family really is important to me. Especially my Mother. She's an amazing ruler. Everyone says so, even when she's not around! Thanks to her, the kingdom is pretty peaceful. Before I left, there were a few reports of pirates harassing ships in the frontier, but I'm sure Mother's going to handle it soon. She was already drafting plans for the Navy when I was sneaking out a hanger. She's just so dedicated and talented. I really hope I turn out to be as good a ruler as she is.

...But I really hope I don't end up as boring as her, too.

quote:

Oh. Well... I know I said I liked the scares here, but there's a line between a scare and terror. And the Head Hunter crossed over that line and hasn't looked back. He's halfblood (half human and half something else. He doesn't talk about it.) who recently joined the Blades of Truth, and he's been hard at work ever since. He's really... uh... I mean he hasn't done anything illegal, but he really seems to like terrorizing the people he's taking in before he actually brings them down. He's really sneaky, leaving traps and jumping out of the shadows to quickly attack and scare them before darting back into the dark. And he's not doing it because he's a slouch in a fight. I've seen him go toe to toe with a pissed off werewolf. He just... you know... likes it.

Creepy.

quote:

Man and Magic really are a lot more similar than they think. It's odd how there can be so much tension over the little differences between them. Like humans eat meat and vampires drink blood, but they still look really similar! They've got friends and hobbies and all sorts of things in common. But monsters... monsters are different. Even if they look the same, they're not! They don't want friends or any of the nice things that the others want. I don't understand how they could want to live like that!

I guess... monsters really frighten me. They don't scare me more than other people, I guess, but they really do frighten me.

And the worst are Puppeteers. They're parasites that control people! They're little blackish imp looking things that are only a few inches tall, but once they get inside you, they sprout tendrils that go all through your body that they use to control the you. And they're intelligent! They KNOW what they're doing. I don't understand how beings can be that cruel...

quote:

Who does something in this City - be it running a cool hangout, running the government, or running a gang, that you care about?
Oh, there's no question! Elizabeth the Dusk Witch looks after the most wonderful place in the whole city! It's a park in the heart of Stone's Hallow. I think she had to purchase the entire block in order to build it properly, which even I understand is quite the endeavor. The park, though, is worth it. Every hour, it shifts seasons in the park, going from an overcast summer day that threatens rain, a wet spring day that delivers it, a crisp fall day that has the leaves perpetually falling, and a frigid winter that strips the trees down to their skeletal limbs. Even better, she's enchanted the park so it is even bigger than what should fit in the confines of the city block.

Oh, I could just wander down it's paths for hours at a time.

...It's a shame that Elizabeth doesn't speak very much. I've wanted to thank her for her work multiple times, but she rushes off to another chore before I can say anything. She seems content to allow others to enjoy her woods without accepting praise.

quote:

Who in the school, teacher, staff, or student is notable to you?
The Crimson Mystic is in one of the foremost teachers of telepathy and telekinesis in the school, so I was assigned to have private lessons with him. Or, as he calls them, "Teachings in The Arcane Art of Mentalism and the Thaumaturgic Discipline of Will Made Manifest." It took me about ten minutes to understand what he was talking about, but once I learned the funny words he was using, it all started to make sense.

...I mean, he's still using lots of silly words he doesn't need to use, of course, but it made sense.

Anyway, I gave up talking about how telepathy or my other powers worked when he started to insist on the importance of crystal resonance, so now we just meet to talk about how things are going with me. Even though he's got lots of weird ideas about how telepathy works, he's had a lot of practice about when and how to use it. So, I look forward to talking to him when I get the chance.

quote:

Hero Name: N/A
Look: Woman, neon body, glowing eyes, mismatched clothing, humanizing "monsterizing" costume

Abilities: You can fly and you're pretty tough. In addition, you have radical shapeshifting, telepathy, and mind blasts

Labels:
Freak +1
Danger -1
Savior +0
Superior +2
Mundane +0

Moves:
Not so different after all:
When you talk about your home, roll + Freak.
On a 10+, choose two.
On a 7-9, choose one.
During the conversation, you:
- confess a flaw of your home; add 1 Team to the pool
- mislead them about your home; take Influence over them
- describe the glories of your home; clear a condition
On a miss, you inadvertently reveal more about yourself than you planned;
tell them a secret or vulnerability you haven’t shared with Earthlings before now

Alien tech:
When you alter a human device with your alien technology, roll + Freak.
On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle.
When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

Belong in two worlds:
You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior.
On a 10+, hold 3.
On a 7-9, hold 2.
On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you.
Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Moment of Truth:
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving
exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy

Team Moves
:
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show
them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit
in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships:
You’ve been learning about Accord by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps

Influence:
Choose your demeanor: haughty or cheerful.
If you’re haughty, you think you’re better than them. Give no one Influence.
If you’re cheerful, you’re thrilled to be here. Give everyone Influence over you.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 5, 2017

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Jonas Renfield, the Nova

The Renfields have been serving the vampires of the world in one form or another for millennia at this point. Our family's part of the Race of Man, more or less. My great-great-great-etcetera grandfather was a servant of the first vampire king - loyal, true, mad as a hatter, I'm told. He got older, started slowing down, but the King didn't want to turn him, because that kinda defeated the purpose of having a mortal servant. So the king made the first Renfield have some kids, and they worked out great too, so the King kept doing it. We were basically cattle at this point. The vampires picked our wives and husbands, told us when to have our kids and how to raise them. We got bred for optimal blood production - potency, quantity, and, of course, deliciousness - and then trained for domestic service. And when there got to be enough Renfields, the king started giving them to his valued servants as a reward - though he kept the main branch of the family close to control the 'supply'.

Yeah, I know, it's not exactly a cheerful history, but it gets better! Eventually, the Accord rolls around, and one of the conditions to the vampires signing on is that they had to start treating us like people, so suddenly we're free. But by that point, having a Renfield is a huge status symbol among vampires, and after generations of selective breeding our blood's the vampire equivalent of vintage wine. So the family basically decides to keep it up; we train our kids for service and being the occasional light snack, except the difference is the vampires actually have to pay us, but more importantly, they now have to outbid the other vampires who also want a Renfield. Suddenly, the family is pulling in ludicrous sums of money, and continue to do so right into today.

I'm part of the latest generation of Renfields - I could give you my vintage and a bit of a flavour profile, though it wouldn't mean anything to you unless you're a vampire yourself. I even got the training; I know the proper way to polish silverware, introduce guests in proper order by title, even set a table for a proper banquet. But I've never been comfortable with the job my family has set me up with, even if it pays really really well. And I always wanted to try and be a magician, so I sent away for this correspondence course in magic. My older brother said it was totally a scam, and honestly the first eight or nine chapters didn't actually work, but when I got to the blood magic chapter, dang! I guess that's what happens when you spend a couple thousand years breeding for really good blood.

Anyway, I kinda did a bit of property damage in the process of learning, but the guards promised not to press charges if I could find an actual teacher. And I've always wanted to help people, so the Librarium Aeternus kinda sounded like a good idea. When I showed them what I could do, they offered me a scholarship, but there's a vampire I know who promised to pay my tuition for a bit of blood every couple weeks, so I told them to give it to someone who needed it more. This is going to be really interesting!

quote:

Name: Jonah Renfield
The Mask: The Nova
Look: Man, white, marked skin, dark clothing, no costume.

Abilities:
Sorcery - "I don't know much about blood magic, but oh boy is the stuff I try turbo-charged like hell. I can do stuff like blood whips or blood shaping pretty easily, but bigger stuff tends to be...risky. There's a lot of power in blood."

Labels:
Freak +2
Danger +1
Savior +0
Superior +0
Mundane +0

Moves:

Burn
When you charge up your powers, roll + conditions you currently have marked. On a hit, hold 3 burn. On a 7-9, mark a condition. On a miss, hold 2 burn and mark three conditions. Spend your burn on your flares. You lose all burn at the end of the scene.

Flares:
Snatch:: Spend 1 burn to use your powers to seize any one object up to the size of a person from someone within view.
Elemental Awareness: Spend 1 burn and mark a condition to open your mind up to the world around you with your powers. You can ask any one question about the world around you, and the GM will answer honestly.
Boost: Spend 1 burn to supercharge a teammate’s efforts with your powers, giving them a +1 bonus to their roll as if you had spent Team from the pool.
Move: Spend 1 burn to move to any place you choose within the scene, breaking through or slipping past any barriers or restraints in your way. Spend a second Burn to move to any place you’ve previously been.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if there is any fear in their eyes when they look at you. If they say no, take +1 forward and mark potential. If they say yes, immediately shift your Danger up and Savior down. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them how they could stop you, if it came down to it. Give them Influence over you and clear a condition.

Moment of Truth
Your mind’s eye opens, and you can see the world around you like never before. You can control it, at will, with ease. Of course, warping reality tends to have ramifications down the line, but in your moment of godhood...how could you possibly be worried?

Influence
Give Influence to three teammates.

Backstory

When did you first use your powers?
Maybe a month or two ago? I'd been following along with my correspondence course, and nothing was really working. I tried to cast a simply karmic blessing and broke my mirror when I tried to do the mudra. The Call Familiar spell just made a bird poop on my head. Then I got to the blood magic chapter and I thought 'well, if I'm going to be able to do anything in this book, it'd be this'. You were supposed to make a little cut in your finger and use blood magic to attract the blood droplet to your other hand. Instead I accidentally summoned a blood tentacle that wrecked my room. Whoops!

Who was the first person you accidentally hurt with your powers?
My older sister, unfortunately. She had a week off from serving Countess Von Sephriana, and she'd been put up in her old room at Renfield Manor the day I finally hit Chapter Ten: Blood Magic For The Beginner in my correspondence course. I kinda blew a hole in our dividing wall, and she took some shrapnel. It was mostly superficial injuries, and my sister forgave me pretty quickly, but I hear the Countess was furious that her Renfield got damaged and had to take a sick day right before her Equinox dinner. Remind me that I need to write her an apology note.

Who, outside the team, helps you control your powers?
Prince Ludvan Von Carlima.

He's not much older than me, fifth in line for the throne, I think, and almost my mast-umm, my employer. Grandma says his family showed a lot of interest in hiring me once my training was finished, and he actually visited pretty often when I was a kid, so we're actually kinda sorta friends. I don't even know if I'd have done this whole magic thing if he hadn't given me his blessing, and he's the guy paying my tuition right now. Grandpa said his mom worked for the Von Carlimas, and they were good people. We still keep in touch, and he's full of good advice!

Why do you continue to use your powers?
Honestly, I feel like magic is my calling, and my aptitude for it, accidents notwithstanding, I take it as a sign that I'm on the right track. I truly think I can help people with my magic, and maybe I'm disappointing my family, but the Accord says that the Renfields are free people who can make their own choices, and this is my choice!

Man, the team is just the coolest - they're from all over the world, and they're all so talented. I mean, sure, my magic's pretty powerful, but the rest of the team, they've got it on lock! (I'll add more specifics if/when I know who my teammates are)

Your family doesn't, uh, resent the Vampires at all, for what they did to you over the centuries? What about other humans - how do most Men react to your family's 'status'?
So, for us Renfields, these two questions kinda have a shared answer. I mean, sure, objectively speaking, our ancestors were the subjects of a thousand-year eugenics project to make us better servants food sources. That's really messed up. But day to day? We were the lucky ones. We had hot meals, a roof over our heads, a job for which we'd been trained and prepared for. In domains ruled by vampires, that wasn't exactly common. And sure, some of the old masters were cruel, but for the most part, we were status symbols. Back then, if your Renfield looked visibly overworked or damaged, it made you look weak and foolish before the court, and if, god forbid, it died for reasons other than old age, unless you were a member of the royal family you'd have to work long and hard to prove to the King that you deserved another one. We were entirely subservient to the vampires, yes, but there was protection in that.

And of course, the other side of that is that meant at the same time, to the Races of Men we were the face of vampiric oppression. When a vampire wished to levy a harsher tax, kidnap a virgin bride, or raze a village for obstructing their view, they were hardly going to do it themselves. For the most part, such mundane tyranny was left to the Renfields. We led the guards, we hired the thugs, we lied to the young ingenues that the castle was perfectly safe. And perhaps you could argue that we didn't have a choice, that because of how we were raised or trained or subjected to that swirly-eyes trick that even now no Renfield can really resist we aren't really culpable for all those terrible things we did. But honestly, that's a cheat. In places where historically vampires have been in charge, Renfields are very much disliked in the same way vampires are. Even after the Accords, there's too much blood on everyone's hands, both metaphorical and literal.

As for resentment...it's a very complicated sort of feeling. Think of it like, if dogs understood what wolves were, do you think they would resent humans? I mean, on average a dog's life is objectively better than a wolf's, I bet. But even if one day you suddenly gave your dog the choice to live free by itself, it's not a wolf any more. I bet it stays with the humans. I mean, serving vampires is what my family does - it's our livelihood, but also our history and our genetics and the way we're raised. It's hard for us to separate the part of us that's literally been bred for this from our actual feelings. I think that it's something each Renfield tries to make our peace with individually, out of necessity. I mean, if doing something makes your family happy and makes you a ton of money, there's a lot of internal pressure to figure out a way to justify it to your conscience. I know that path isn't for me, but I do genuinely respect the other Renfields who're continuing the tradition.

What does the rest of the family think of you wanting to be a hero?
At first, they didn't take it terribly seriously; every young Renfield has a time in their life when they're totally going to do something else with their lives and make it big as a singer or a knight or a chef. And then they do their first apprenticeship with a more senior Renfield and they realise that the actual duties aren't terribly onerous, and I get paid how much gold for this? That was almost me, but Prince Ludvan's encouragement and my discovery of blood magic made me realise I did, in fact have the potential to succeed as a hero. Since then my dad and my siblings are a little more encouraging, but they're still not taking it seriously; Grandma keeps mentioning my great-aunt who dropped out of training in her teenage years to join a Free Blood/Love commune for a decade or so before eventually coming back to Renfielding. I think my dad's hoping it's just a phase, and once heroing doesn't work out I'll come back to the family business. My brother and sister are a little better, at least once I made it clear my decision wasn't a knock on their choices and I promised not to hit them up for money.

What do the people of the Accord think of Blood Magic, compared to other forms of magic?
Most people are afraid of Blood Magic, and honestly, considering precedent I can't really blame them. The basic tenet of the school is that blood has a lot of magical power that you can draw on, and you'd better believe that it didn't take long for magic users to notice that 'oh wait, it doesn't have to be my blood'. A distressing percentage of Monsters that the Shadowkeepers have to hunt down are those that are stealing people's blood for some ritual or another. But at the same time, the Sisterhood of Witches made specifically sure the Accords enshrined blood magic's legality when properly used. It's just too useful to ban; it can generate vast amounts of unaspected arcane energy, it has critical uses in summoning, warding, and abjuration magic, it can be combined with other magicks to strengthen them exponentially, and there's even several subcategories of healing spells that requires it. It won't exactly be advertised, but if you go to any witch-run hospice, you'll almost certainly find at least one employee with an Adept level qualification in blood magic. Still, there's enough horror stories out there that people will be leery of you if you're openly practising, even if you're protected from any open attack by the Accords.

Are you at all afraid of how potent your blood seems to be with this magic?
Absolutely terrified, but at the same time, there's so much potential for good here that I can't not at least try. Sure, there are risks involved, but surely if I use my abilities responsibly and under the supervision of my teachers, it'll be manageable. What's the worst that could happen?

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 7, 2017

SKINer
Sep 15, 2017

quote:

Hero Name: Wip

Look:
-Woman
-calloused hands
-casual clothing
-simple costume

Abilities:
-Superhumanly Tough: Rapid regeneration, with the ability to heal most cuts and scraps within seconds after they are inflicted upon her. Broken bones are often healed in a day or two and sickness and desease usually leaves her system at an acclerated rate as well.

She also possess increased stamina, allowing her to hold her breath for a very long time, as well as allowing her to resist fatigue and exhaustion.

Finally, she has a immunity towards fire and flame.

-Incredibly strong: Due to her stamina, she is able to push herself hard. Often it's her determination, not strength, that allows her to get away with great feats of physical power.

While she weighs a lithe 130 pounds, she can muster up the will to lift up to 10 times her body weight.

-Uniquely skilled at fighting: Most of her opponents look at her lithe frame and mistake her for a ninja or similar nimble archtype. How wrong they are. She isn't a scalpel, but a chainsaw.

She has the instincts of a predator, sensing/inspiring fear, along with heriditary knowledge of many fighting styles that was given to her father (which were passed down to her via dna). Aside from this, comes her ability to create blades out of the air via motion (some call these blades 'wind scars'), these blades can vary between very dull (used to disable and put down opponents without killing them), to extremely sharp (she mostly use these to cut through obstructions or to take out weapons).

Labels:
-Danger +3
-Freak +1
-Savior -1
-Superior +1
-Mundane -1

Bull Moves
-You’ve got a head you don’t need: When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of + Superior

-In a china shop: When you directly engage a threat, you can cause significant collateral damage to your environment to choose an additional option, even on a miss.

Background coming soon.

SKINer fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 4, 2017

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

a Nova goes here.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I think I'd be interested, but I have some questions to ask. Apparently you can't PM people on Discord unless you share a server with them or you have friended them. Is it okay if I add you as a friend in there, KittyEmpress?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hey, had a few questions about refluffing powers or using nonstandard sets - I'm cool with it, as long as they fit the themes of the playbook. If you're playing a Delinquent, don't say you're a vampire with super strength and speed, who is near invulnerable. Maybe you turn into bats and translocate quickly through bat forms. Maybe you control vermin in ways. Maybe you have hypno-gazes. But if you want to say your Doomed can control darkness or your protege's tech stuff is minor magic, or what not - feel free.

Also yeah, feel free to add me on Discord. I check it throughout the day while at work or school or home, because both work and school wifi networks block IRC connections.

Delphinium

Why'd you decide to train your body, as well as your mind? Which discipline is more natural to you? Do you think it would be easier to focus on one instead of the other, or do you feel like the benefits of knowing both outweigh the challenges? Do you even have time to have fun, between class, magic training, and martial exercises? If you were forced to choose between your martial might and your magical skills, which would you keep?

Gravesaint

So the "Saint of the Graves', as a Legacy, seems to be pretty extreme, level of violence wise - has the stigma of your mom slaughtering those cultists ever been used against your people? How do other heroes feel about the perceived violent legacy? How about for you - does knowing that your mother is a little more... judicious with her punishments than most other Heroes change your opinions of her at all? Or do you think she's right, and that sometimes people and monsters can't be just 'contained', and need to be removed?

On another note, have the expectations of your family worried you at all, or are you sure that you're awesome enough to handle being the new Gravesaint?

Aira

How do you feel about wizards, witches, and other magic users, and their use of Daemons? What do you think of Heroes? How about Monsters? Is there anything you really want to try, that you haven't gotten to yet in your short life? Do you want to be a Hero, or was that chosen for you by those who took you in?

Mthalia

I'll get you once your app is all done.

Jonas Renfield

Your family doesn't, uh, resent the Vampires at all, for what they did to you over the centuries? What about other humans - how do most Men react to your family's 'status'? What does the rest of the family think of you wanting to be a hero? What do the people of the Accord think of Blood Magic, compared to other forms of magic? Are you at all afraid of how potent your blood seems to be with this magic?

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

KittyEmpress posted:

Delphinium

Why'd you decide to train your body, as well as your mind?

"Well, sure, a lot of it has to do with not wanting to be coddled by and chained to a Knight, but I've always had a fair spot of talent when it comes to fighting. It's like... Hm. Like I can see what people are about to do, before they do it? You don't need to be that great to take someone down when you're always three steps ahead. I played Hunters and Vampires with the boys in my village all the time when I was growing up and I could whip any of them. Of course, it doesn't matter if you can put yourself in the right spot if you don't have the chops to actually take your opponent down."

"That's where the training comes in."

quote:

Which discipline is more natural to you?

"Mm, honestly? Witchcraft is pretty easy. At least now that Idona is teaching me the right way. I had a hell of a time figuring out anything at the Sisterhood, probably why they booted me so quick. They're all steeped in tradition and feel and all sorts of nonsense. Idona is a bit more practical with it all. But yeah, it's all about figuring out these little tricks to do more with less. If you get it, you can do it. No problems. If you don't, you can't."

"Physical training doesn't have shortcuts. You've got to put in the work every day. No matter if you ache, you have things you want to do, or if you don't really want to run mob-fighting drills for three hours. You get out what you put in."

quote:

Do you think it would be easier to focus on one instead of the other, or do you feel like the benefits of knowing both outweigh the challenges?

"Mm, I do think there's some great synergy between the two. One of the reasons Witches have Knight-Protectors, outside of the whole Witches-are-untrustworthy cruft, is because they can't really take a punch. Traditional witchcraft is generally slow, temperamental, and not great in a stand-up fight. Throw a troll at them solo? Your average witch is going to be an appetizer. With me, I can fend off the troll long enough to weave a hex that can make it have a real bad time."

"So, sure, it's a lot of work. I'm not going to deny that. It's just work that lets me be free of some musclefreak compensating for his tiny penis with a big slab of metal. Idona always tells me I should just contract a spirit to do the job, but I guess I just don't like putting my safety in someone else's hands."

quote:

Do you even have time to have fun, between class, magic training, and martial exercises?

"Well, I have a few hours off on the weekend, so I... usually spend that soaking in the tub because I'm so sore from training."

"..."

"Um, no."

quote:

If you were forced to choose between your martial might and your magical skills, which would you keep?

"Mm. That's tough. Real tough. I'm guessing it's not just 'you have to start over from scratch', huh? If it was, that'd be easy. Take my magic knowledge, I'll get back where I was pretty quick. But like taking my magic away entirely? Or my ability to fight? Wow. That'd be like cutting off an arm. I guess, if you forced me to choose, I'd pick my fighting skills and conditioning. I think I can do more to help people as a hero with those, than witchcraft."

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

Jonas Renfield
Your family doesn't, uh, resent the Vampires at all, for what they did to you over the centuries? What about other humans - how do most Men react to your family's 'status'?

So, for us Renfields, these two questions kinda have a shared answer. I mean, sure, objectively speaking, our ancestors were the subjects of a thousand-year eugenics project to make us better servants/food sources. That's really messed up. But day to day? We were the lucky ones. We had hot meals, a roof over our heads, a job for which we'd been trained and prepared for. In domains ruled by vampires, that wasn't exactly common. And sure, some of the old masters were cruel, but for the most part, we were status symbols. Back then, if your Renfield looked visibly overworked or damaged, it made you look weak and foolish before the court, and if, god forbid, it died for reasons other than old age, unless you were a member of the royal family you'd have to work long and hard to prove to the King that you deserved another one. We were entirely subservient to the vampires, yes, but there was protection in that.

And of course, the other side of that is that meant at the same time, to the Races of Men we were the face of vampiric oppression. When a vampire wished to levy a harsher tax, kidnap a virgin bride, or raze a village for obstructing their view, they were hardly going to do it themselves. For the most part, such mundane tyranny was left to the Renfields. We led the guards, we hired the thugs, we lied to the young ingenues that the castle was perfectly safe. And perhaps you could argue that we didn't have a choice, that because of how we were raised or trained or subjected to that swirly-eyes trick that even now no Renfield can really resist we aren't really culpable for all those terrible things we did. But honestly, that's a cheat. In places where historically vampires have been in charge, Renfields are very much disliked in the same way vampires are. Even after the Accords, there's too much blood on everyone's hands, both metaphorical and literal.

As for resentment...it's a very complicated sort of feeling. Think of it like, if dogs understood what wolves were, do you think they would resent humans? I mean, on average a dog's life is objectively better than a wolf's, I bet. But even if one day you suddenly gave your dog the choice to live free by itself, it's not a wolf any more. I bet it stays with the humans. I mean, serving vampires is what my family does - it's our livelihood, but also our history and our genetics and the way we're raised. It's hard for us to separate the part of us that's literally been bred for this from our actual feelings. I think that it's something each Renfield tries to make our peace with individually, out of necessity. I mean, if doing something makes your family happy and makes you a ton of money, there's a lot of internal pressure to figure out a way to justify it to your conscience. I know that path isn't for me, but I do genuinely respect the other Renfields who're continuing the tradition.

quote:

What does the rest of the family think of you wanting to be a hero?
At first, they didn't take it terribly seriously; every young Renfield has a time in their life when they're totally going to do something else with their lives and make it big as a singer or a knight or a chef. And then they do their first apprenticeship with a more senior Renfield and they realise that the actual duties aren't terribly onerous, and I get paid how much gold for this? That was almost me, but Prince Ludvan's encouragement and my discovery of blood magic made me realise I did, in fact have the potential to succeed as a hero. Since then my dad and my siblings are a little more encouraging, but they're still not taking it seriously; Grandma keeps mentioning my great-aunt who dropped out of training in her teenage years to join a Free Blood/Love commune for a decade or so before eventually coming back to Renfielding. I think my dad's hoping it's just a phase, and once heroing doesn't work out I'll come back to the family business. My brother and sister are a little better, at least once I made it clear my decision wasn't a knock on their choices and I promised not to hit them up for money.

quote:

What do the people of the Accord think of Blood Magic, compared to other forms of magic?
Most people are afraid of Blood Magic, and honestly, considering precedent I can't really blame them. The basic tenet of the school is that blood has a lot of magical power that you can draw on, and you'd better believe that it didn't take long for magic users to notice that 'oh wait, it doesn't have to be my blood'. A distressing percentage of Monsters that the Shadowkeepers have to hunt down are those that are stealing people's blood for some ritual or another. But at the same time, the Sisterhood of Witches made specifically sure the Accords enshrined blood magic's legality when properly used. It's just too useful to ban; it can generate vast amounts of unaspected arcane energy, it has critical uses in summoning, warding, and abjuration magic, it can be combined with other magicks to strengthen them exponentially, and there's even several subcategories of healing spells that requires it. It won't exactly be advertised, but if you go to any witch-run hospice, you'll almost certainly find at least one employee with an Adept level qualification in blood magic. Still, there's enough horror stories out there that people will be leery of you if you're openly practising, even if you're protected from any open attack by the Accords.

quote:

Are you at all afraid of how potent your blood seems to be with this magic?
Absolutely terrified, but at the same time, there's so much potential for good here that I can't not at least try. Sure, there are risks involved, but surely if I use my abilities responsibly and under the supervision of my teachers, it'll be manageable. What's the worst that could happen?

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 5, 2017

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

quote:

How do you feel about wizards, witches, and other magic users, and their use of Daemons?

I... I try not to think about it. I mean, most magic - not involving Daemons - I'm fine with. But the Summoning Arts - I wonder if... if I... knew them... before. Or whether they would... grow up to be me, if allowed life. Or... or maybe I'm just a mistake, a unique accident that shouldn't exist. Like I said... I try not to think about it.

quote:

What do you think of Heroes?

They're all very cool - and surprisingly nice in person! On that first day, I was rushed to the Librarium - and stared in awe at the paintings and statues lining the walls. I was struck by the weight of it all - but those that I've met in person, they've been very welcoming, if a bit weird. Bethe of course has been extremely nice but there's others - like Valoc. He came for tea once and told me a few stories - it was amazing.

quote:

How about Monsters?

To be honest, I... I don't understand why they are called such. Bethe tells me, well, there's a need for law and order but... it seems that those protected by the Accord like the Unwritten Word - they're just as much Monsters. And... well, I'm a Monster... right?

quote:

Is there anything you really want to try, that you haven't gotten to yet in your short life?

Bethe keeps telling me about this forest up north - The Dreamwood. She says there's a lot of strange things that go on there - portals to other places, other... worlds. I can't help but think that maybe... maybe that will lead me back home. Or at least, provide some answers. She says that the Summoning Arts were first discovered up there. I... someday, I'll go.

quote:

Do you want to be a Hero, or was that chosen for you by those who took you in?

A little of both, I guess. The Librarium, it's the only home I know - hard not to feel like they expect me to enroll and at least try to pull my weight. But I also - a piece of me, at least - I want to be a Hero. Prove that... I don't know. "Daemons matter - stop using the Summoning Arts." "Leave us alone." I have... I feel like my people are out there, somewhere. And I... I want to save them. That's being a Hero, right?

Frgrbrgr fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 5, 2017

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

Viktor Von Sangdrach III

Greetings, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. You stand in the presence of… Hm, no, no. That’s far too formal for a greeting between equals, wouldn’t you say? And equals we are here in the city of Stone's Hallow under The Accord. Yes, indeed. I will start again. Hello. How are you? I am Viktor.

The very gaunt, very pale middle aged man that followed Viktor, always in the background with the air of an attendant servant, discreetly clears his throat. Viktor slides down in his seat and sighs, flips back his hair, moody and put-upon.

Viktor Von Sangdrach III.

There is another barely audible clearing of the throat from the shadows where what must be Viktor’s servant lingers.

Fiiiiine. Viktor Von Sangdrach III, youngest scion of the Exalted Crimson House of Sangdrach, progeny of Count Tiberiu Von Sangdrach, Scourge of the enemies of Malrovania, Sire of Countless Noble Bloodlines, Undefeated General of the Armies of Darkness, Wielder of… et cetera, et cetera, et cetera! Ugh! Enough! Never mind all of that, just Viktor will suffice.

Viktor gathers himself - then is distracted by something making a vibrating noise in his pocket. He pulls out a smooth, flat, small black stone and inspects something shown on it in luminescence. Then, with an annoyed curl of the lip, he swipes across the stone’s surface, stopping its vibrations and, finally, puts it back into his pocket.

Now, even though you no doubt have heard of my family, I assure you that I come before you not as an envoy of that bloody well-known house, but as a normal applicant for the Librarium Aeternus, just like any other in Stone's Hallow, city of equals. I am merely simple Viktor - it is not required to address me by my full name! Once you have approved my entry into your ranks, it is not strictly necessary for you to provide me with additional servants or even give me an immediate leadership role. I am willing to rise in the ranks just as everyone else from the Common Folk.

There is something like a long-suffering suppressed groan from the shadows behind Victor - who once again is interrupted by his small smooth stone vibrating. He silences it again in an annoyed manner.

Fine, fine, your curiosity is piqued, you want to know the whole tale. Ugh. Of course, it all first starts with my… family, the Von Sangdrachs. Eternal rulers of gloomy Malrovania, first among the vampire families, most powerful in blood, et cetera. That’s what they say, in any case, not that I had any reason to doubt it when I grew up in our ancestral castle. Yes, Tiberiu Von Sangdrach is my father. Everyone knows him, the very picture of the vampire count. My mother… my mother. Simona Von Sangdrach. Nobody knows her, but to me, to me… she was my world. My best friend, the only window into a world beyond. She was just a common maid, you know, before my father’s eye fell upon her? Well, it was all very traditional - my father won her heart, to hear him tell it, and asked her to join him in our castle, where she received the vampire’s gift and became his bride. And some time later, well… there was me.

My parents, Tiberiu and Simona Von Sangdrach.

It was a peaceful childhood, I suppose. Learning etiquette, how to feed, the ‘glorious’ history of our family in Malrovania and beyond, et cetera. But even though the others did not approve, what I liked most were my mother’s tales of life outside, among the Common Folk. Apparently children of the Race of Man grow up with others their age, not only tutors and relatives? Well, I knew it to be true, because me and my mother often spied on a mortal family from the nearby village, even sometimes leaving behind hidden gifts of money or food. I only realized later who they truly were, when it was already too late. My other family.

Viktor gloomily looks out the nearby window, not even looking annoyed as he once again quiets the vibrating stone, this time without even looking.

My mother died about a year ago. A sickness… the best physicians could not help. Once she was gone… once she was gone, the castle was empty to me. Just a collection of cold stone. My family - father - he did not understand. As if he could. As if any of them could. He said I needed direction, that now was the time to truly work towards my destiny - all the while bringing some new woman into our house! While mother’s body was not even… And now she presumes to be able to lecture me?! In any case, suddenly every member of my family has something to say how to solve the ‘problem’ of Viktor - because I am now a problem - all grand plans to further our family’s glory, but I did not care, and, and…

And I came to the conclusion that our ancestral castle was too small for me and my family, and my family was not going to move, so it was time for me to oblige. I admit, my first attempt was a little ill-conceived. I tried to join my human family - the family me and my mother had watched all these years - but they were only terrified of me. Begged me not to hurt them. That was a somewhat difficult time for me, a feeling in my heart of loneliness, even in the midst of so many. But eventually, I set my heart on Stone's Hallow - cosmopolitan, liberated, exciting! A city of equals. Quite the scandal, but what does my family know?

Once again, the vibrating noise interrupts the quiet, only this time Viktor angrily swipes accross the stone in a different direction and lifts it to his ear, holding up a finger to show to hold on.

Yes - no, I am busy. No, I don’t have time to-
Yes, I am signing up with the Librarium Aeternus. No, you can’t- No. I am not coming home and I am signing up with them. You can’t tell me what-
Oh yes, that really makes me want to come back. That’s exactly why I left!
Hm. Hm--hmm.
Did I mention that we have very competent teachers here? You may know one of them. It’s, oh… Valoc, The Woe Blade.
Hm. Hmmm-mmm. Now who is using improper language? Oh really, I didn’t know our family swore blood vengeance on him. I don’t remember being consulted for that, or involved at all, which really, shouldn’t be a surprise, because that is how we do these things, don’t we! Ugh!
Yes, yes. And whose fault was it that Valoc defeated father in single combat? Yes, ‘defeated’! So much for the Undefeated General of the Armies of Darkness.
Well, maybe he should not have gone against the Accord? Yes, yes, ‘great destiny of our bloodline’, well, the Blades of Truth made him reconsider that when they stopped his ritual, or else he would have tried again, wouldn’t he?
Father can tell me that himself. I am hanging up now. Yes, no, I need to go. I’m about to be admitted into the Librarium Aeternus. That is correct. Hm-mm. Later, I will celebrate with my new human friends. We will stay up all day. And then perhaps tomorrow, Valoc will share a few stories about how he defeated-
Ugh, I don’t have to listen to this. I am not the one being impossible. I am hanging up now! Bye!

Viktor puts away the stone, apparently half upset and half satisfied with himself. He flips his hair. In the shadows of the background, one can barely make out the movement of a sad, slow shaking of a bowed head.

I am so sorry about this interruption. Now I believe the next step would be for you to finalize my admittance into the Librarium Aeternus, but, as I said before, no special treatment is required. I am just simple Viktor, only another student. Though… some of the other people I have met have been a bit presumptuous, trying to tell me what to do? Imparting knowledge as a tutor is one thing, but... I am committed to being one of the Common Folk, but a presumption can go a bit too far, wouldn't you say?

No matter. You may proceed. I am looking forward to my new life here, under the Accord, as my own man. Very much so. So much to experience, so many new people to meet!

quote:

How did you get your powers?
Not to force a cliché, but it is in the blood. Of course, my tutors and even my family instructed me in how to best use my gifts, though for now that education has come to an end. No matter. I am sure the teachers at the Librarium Aeternus will be reasonably competent. They might even know a trick or two my family does not, wouldn't that be a thing! My shapeshifting has proven useful, as I have scandalously manged to occasionally transform into a form that is me, but as a normal human! I suppose until now, I have not yet mastered the more... martial or esoteric of the vampiric disciplines, but not to worry. If need be, I have the power to bring men to their knees with but a vision of why it is us that stalk the dark nightmares of The Race of Man, the wolf to their sheep, the butcher's cleaver come to take the uncomprehending cattle.

Ahem. Apologies. I know, I know, The Accord. It was but a demonstration. A temporary loss of my composure? Of course, of course, it is often best to strive for a... bloodless solution to one's problems. Ha. Ha. Ha.

quote:

What do you do for fun?
What a fantastic question! Ever since I arrived in Stone's Hallow, the opportunities seem endless and, at times, even overwhelming. Back home, I had already more than enough of my family's castle's walls and while the peasants' harvest dances were charming in their vigor and simplicity, of course I could not participate. But now, I can wander the city and see an inexhaustible variety of places and people. Sometimes, I even become engaged in small talk - with one of the Common Folk! I have not yet begun to explore the depth of the entertainment available, though I found the showing at the opera I attended to be marvelous.

Of course, at times, I don't... I need some time alone, which proves to be a greater challenge here than at home. Watching over the city at night from atop a tall tower is often calming to me. Being able to turn into a bat has its advantages.

quote:

Who, outside the team, thinks better of you than you do?

Ah, yes, you are no doubt referring to Leria, Witch of Forgotten Paths! She has been enormously helpful to me in finding my way here in Stone's Hallow, especially in the first week. You would not believe the kind of social faux pas' I may have run into without her wise words. In fact, she was there the moment I arrived in the city, as if waiting for me - either my family or the Librarium Aeternus must have arranged for her to meet me and provide guidance, I presume? Of course, of course.

For now, I tell her of my adventures in Stone's Hallow and of my family, back home. She truly listens and with her - well, I say I move as an equal among the Common Folk, but it takes a certain discipline to always remember it. You understand. No so with her, I truly feel she is my equal. She even mentioned having visited Malrovania in the past! She says she sees great things in my future, which normally would merely be flattering but in how she says it, I can see that she truly, truly believes it. One the one hand, in a way, it is somewhat intimidating and like what I tried to escape from coming to Stone's Hallow, but on the other hand..

At times, she reminds me of... No matter.

quote:

Why do you try to be a hero?
To hear my family tell it, I am throwing away my birthright, my rightful place at the top of the food chain. Not in these exact words, mind you, they are after all still bound by The Accord, but I can read between the lines. Well, I say I am carving out my own path and I do not care what they think! Unlike them, I will actually act according to the spirit of The Accord and fight so that vampires - and the other Races of Magic, of course - and The Race Of Man can continue to live in harmony. This is a much better, a much smarter, enlightened path to take, wouldn't you agree? Despite them saying I need to look at the bigger picture, well, it is I who is actually doing so, not them. Ha!

And that time I tried to join with my human family, after my mother died - when I so desperately wanted to be part of them, all they could see was something to be afraid of, something to bow to and appease so that their lives may be spared... I do not truly know if they even realized who I was other than a scion of the house of Sangdrach. I felt a profound loneliness, yes, but also... shame. I did not want them to see me as that, and so... and so I came to Stone's Hallow, to fight for The Accord. To be better, in a way. Perhaps one day I will return to them.

quote:

Growing up, I did not really have... friends my age. Now I do, and we even share common interests and purpose. It is quite exciting! There are many things I will have to catch up on, and, more importantly, learn what those things are. Not that I am ignorant, mind you. Still, if they can show understanding during some initial cultural differences, I am more than willing to oversee minor misunderstandings, such as one presuming to tell me how to behave without any cause. We shall be good friends and companions. I am very much looking forward to calling many colorful friends my own. And telling my father all about them. To see his face. Ha!

quote:

Who is important to you? Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are? Why do you respect them?
Viktor sighs, looking out over the city, forlorn.

My mother Simona. Of course. I know, I know, it is not proper to be so lost in the past, but... While she was alive, the castle seemed filled with life as well, with things on the horizon. Things beyond the castle walls, in distant places, housing distant people. I felt like I belonged, at home and even, in a way, in those distant places even if I only ever heard of them in her stories. Even father, my other relatives, well... It felt like we were a family. But now...

He took a new 'bride' only a few months after, after mother passed away! I thought they loved each other!

quote:

When I was a child, tales of the Plaguetakers terrified me: masked figures moving silently through the dirty alleys of the cities, untouched by the diseases that plagued the masses cooped up in too-small hovels. In fact, it was disease that always preceded them. Once they left, so did the disease, but not without a price: the Plaguetakers took those killed by the sickness with them. Where to? Who knows. Was it truly the plague that took the life of these unfortunates? Who knows. Of course, at the time, it was not any stories about death holding dominion over all that frightened me, but rather that they would take me away. Because wasn't the vampire's gift similar to a disease, in a way? I imagined they would come for me one night, and I would be unable to scream for my mother or father, and they would take me away.

In any case, by the time I left for Stone's Hallow I had long left my fear of the Plaguetakers behind me because obviously, it was just a tale to tell to easily influenced children. Something that would get them to behave. Imagine my... erm... surprise when I saw that the Plaguetakers were real! And they were here, in Stone's Hallow! Worst of all, people seemed to think I was being hysteric when I started getting agitated. Apparently, they silently care for those without means when yet another plague breaks out in the poor quarters of the city, the mass of people a breeding ground for diseases. And because of that, they are tolerated, even looked upon kindly by the city and its people.

Why do people not care that nobody knows where they come from or where they vanish to? Who is under their masks? Where do the bodies go? Am I the only one bothered by this?! One night, I was certain one of them looked at me, from under their mask. I... hurried along as fast as I could.

quote:

Why, the Race of Monsters, of course! The Race of Man and The Race of Magic naturally live according to The Accord, and it is only the Race of Monsters that threatens that balance. Although, there is more than enough conflict between The Race of Man and The Race Of Magic even with The Accord, without any interference from anyone else as far as I can see. And while the Race of Man does not have great powers, they are nothing but ingenious and numerous. So very, very numerous.

I may have to revise my opinion.

quote:

I met Claudio when I attended the opera house - it was a fortunate things for the both of us I was in a good mood as the play was quite entertaining. He attempted to pickpocket me. Can you believe it? I was more amused than offended, really. In any case, we engaged in pleasant conversation and apparently it is odd for someone my age to visit the opera? Apparently it is usually reserved for adults, and older ones at that? This would of course mean that there must be specialized entertainment for someone such as me which is excellent news! Claudio was very charming and promised he could point me towards such venues, which was much appreciated. A small reward was no doubt appropriate, which is why I did not object and let him proceed the second time he tried to lighten my pocket.

Afterwards, I followed him unseen in the guise of a dog. Apparently he runs some manner of minor band of orphan pickpockets and thieves? Marvellous!

quote:

Valoc, The Woe Blade, of course! He is a peerless warrior with many victories to his name: breaking the Coven Of The Unblemished Dawn, bringing down the Dread Medusa Cerillia, and, oh, defeating Tiberiu Von Sangdrach in single combat. I would love to hear about that, even though I ordinarily focus on matters besides the martial arts. Valoc has not yet responded to my suggestions of a private tutoring session, but, no matter. No doubt the bureaucracy of the Librarium Aeternus makes things like these take a little more time.

quote:

Hero Name: N/A
Mask: Delinquent
Look: Man, White, Jaded Eyes, Stylish Clothing
Costume: No costume
Abilities: Illusions / Hallucinations, Shapeshifting

Labels
Freak: +0
Danger: +0
Savior: -1
Superior: +3
Mundane: +1

Moves
Team? What team?
When you use Team selfishly, clear a condition or mark potential. The first time in a session that you use Team to help a teammate, take +1 forward.

Are you watching closely?
When you mislead, distract, or trick someone, roll + Superior. On a hit, they are fooled, at least for a moment. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two.
  • you get an opportunity
  • you expose a weakness or flaw
  • you confuse them for some time
  • you avoid further entanglement
On a miss, you’re hopelessly embroiled in it and under pressure; mark a condition.

Criminal mind
When you assess the situation, you can always ask one of the following questions, even on a miss:
  • what here is useful or valuable to me?
  • how could I best infuriate or provoke _______?
  • what’s the best way in/way past?

Moment of Truth
This is when you show them what you really are. Whether you’re the hero underneath the rebel facade...or the one who can make the hard choices heroes can’t make. You do whatever it takes to show that truth, whether it’s saving the day from a terrible villain or stopping a bad guy once and for all. Of course, once you’ve shown what you really are, there’s no going back to playing the clown...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they think you’re cool. If they say yes, give them Influence and take Influence over them. If they say no, mark a condition or spurn them immediately. If they’re a teammate, then either way, add a Team to the pool.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence over you, and ask them who they’d like you to be. Mark potential if you show them that person. If they’re a teammate, add a Team to the pool no matter what.

nil. fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 7, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Corona Dominica, the Beacon

How did you gain your skills?

Um, well... I mean... I'm seventh in line of succession for the royal line, so I wasn't expected to be groomed for leadership. The decrees regarding the line is very clear and it's forbidden for me to step into the palace. I also don't really have any m-magical talent. So I was sent far away, I was sent to Librarium Eligere where I was to be the bibliotheca viventem, the repository of secret royal knowledge too valuable to be entrusted to paper. I was taught by the witch-monks on how to construct a-an ordered mind, to plumb my own thoughts and construct a noetic thoughtkeep. Um, and a lot of self-defense. I was expected to be able to, um, defend my knowledge with my life. So, I'm a little tougher than I look! I don't really have any magical talent, even though I was raised by witches. Sorry. On the other h-hand, I don't have to worry about curses at all or wards, though, which doesn't really come up very often.

When did you first put on your costume?

Costume? I don't wear armor.

Who, outside of the team, thinks you shouldn’t be a superhero?

Um, most of my family? I mean, if I wasn't trained to be the bibliotheca viventem - I mean, there isn't another - they'd probably have disowned me. And I w-was pretty up front about it. It'd look real bad if they were to just take me out of training. Dad even admitted that, at least before telling me all the things I would be denied. I felt like I was going to throw up, but my parents... are hardly around anyway. I don't even see them more than a few times a year for festivals. The witches and books were better at raising me than mother and father were. I know decree keeps me out of the palace, but they could just try to see me, you know?

S-sorry. I feel pretty strongly about it, kinda, I guess.

Why do you try to be a hero?

Well, I mean, um... it was finding out Queen Regina Dominica was the Knight Courageous of the Shadowkeepers. A founding member Don't tell anyone, though~! That's secret lore! But it's like my family was ashamed of her, since it was a decree violation, but the more I read about her, the more I realized that the peace we have know was due to beings like her. Most of the Dominicas keep themselves away from the Races of Magic, even though they rule over them! It's not right, the way my family looks at the night-folk and faerie and... anyway. So. I read and read and read. And there's no rule against me joining, and technically I'm allowed to study at any Librarium, so I traveled to the Aeternus. I guess nobody thought to decree it, and even if they do set down a new decree, I'd be protected by regency clauses. Maybe I'll never be one of the crownbearers in the palace, but maybe I can make things a little different somehow.

I was raised by witches and all, I've seen a lot of strange beings. When I was little, I loved finding out more about the people of the world, all the different species and monsters. I feel like the Shadowkeepers are like a demonstration of how we can all stand together, it's important as a symbol for everyone! A-and I guess I could use more family, I know that sounds dumb, but I've always had to m-make my own family. And that's what I want all of the rest to be like, friends, compatriots, an otherhood. It really does sound dumb, but I just want to help out all I can.

pre:
Name: Corona Dominica		Playbook: The Beacon

Abilities:

Magic Cancellation: I've always been resistant to magic since I was young.
Which... is bad for a Dominica. Viatrix has taught me to be able to "push" it,
even though some of the others didn't like it much. I can try and undo spells
with a touch, and even gazes and curses kind of just slide off of me. Of
course, so does healing... but then again, I can use cursed items just fine.

Martial Arts: I've studied pugilism pythonissam, the witch art of
self-defense. Since it was originally meant to defend oneself from monsters
and badly-done summons, it teaches one how to fight creatures with natural
defenses or high strength "gently", using their might against them and 
learning how to grasp horns and talons without getting too hurt. It also
teaches you how to use everyday items- clasping a book over a spiked tail, or
wielding a candelabra to catch a weapon or clawed hand.

Danger -1	Freak -1	Savior +2	Superior +1	Mundane +2

Beacon Moves

Straight. Up. Creepin’.: When you scope out a person or place, roll + Mundane.
On a 10+, ask two. On a 7-9, ask one.
  • what’s my best way in/out?
  • what happened here recently?
  • what here is worth grabbing?
  • who or what here is not what they seem?
  • whose place is this?
On a miss, you find yourself in over your head. The GM will tell you why this is a bad spot. No Powers and Not Nearly Enough Training: You’re always picking up new gear to keep yourself in the game. Whenever you pick up a new piece of gear, you can write it in as a new ability if this line is empty. _______________________________ The first time you use each piece of gear to directly engage a threat, unleash your powers, or defend someone, you can roll + Mundane instead of the normal Label. Drives Choose four drives to mark at the start of play. When you fulfill a marked drive, strike it out, and choose one: mark potential, clear a condition, take Influence over someone involved. When your four marked drives are all struck out, choose and mark four new drives. When all drives are struck out, change playbooks, retire from the life, or become a paragon of the city. (Drives to be determined at the start of play.) Team Moves When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, tell them how they’re awesome and add a Team to the pool. If they tell you how you’re awesome in return, add another Team to the pool. When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, ask them to confirm or deny that you should be here. If they confirm it, mark potential and give them Influence over you. If they deny it, mark Angry and shift one Label up and one Label down, your choice. Moment of Truth This is the moment when you show them exactly why you belong here. You do any one thing, take out any one enemy, no matter how insane, no matter how ridiculous, because that’s you. Their jaws are gonna drop when you’re done. Of course, pulling off a stunt like this tends to bring unwanted attention and a dangerous reputation...

I learned from a lot of witches and familiars, but it was Viatrix Felicity that usually paid the most attention, who tried to help me when I was feeling down with a funny summon or a candy. N-not that I was spoiled! She was very clear about her expectations of me, and wasn't easy on me. But she also never really sugarcoated anything. Why I was there, what dangers the world still has, how hard something would be... she was honest, and she'd seen a lot. I could trust her with anything.

Who terrifies you, and why? What race scares you the most, be it Man, Magic, or Monster?

Um, well, demons are still creepy, I mean, I don't... I don't... you just read the old legends, and you know they're full of nonsense, but still, it's hard to... I'm so sorry.

But if you know history, I know it's going to sound cynical and mean, but probably humans? I mean, monsters can be hungry and cruel and wicked, but they usually just do it alone. People can flock around a bad person, or get a crazy idea in their heads, I mean. I mean, it's humans that came up with the word "monster" to say "this thing id dangerous and okay to kill". And sometimes that's true, but most nonhuman languages don't have a shorthand for it.

The Myrtle House is probably the most relaxing place I've found. The Librarium Aeternus doesn't have the same sort of tea we did back home, the green stuff isn't as strong unless you just ruin it. And the library is always so busy, it's not like a witch's monestary at all! Not that it's bad!... but... I like having a bit of quiet, and the house is mostly run by ex-familiars and summons who were abandoned or passed on. They're so cut- I mean. Um. I'm supposed to respect them, not just, you know. Um. E-Embarassing, right? I try and tip well!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I care not what your notions of what constitutes royalty are, know that I am your better. You will show due respect.

Who Changed you? Who is important to you? Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are? Why do you respect them?

I am the adopted daughter of Dread Mistress of the Moonless Dark, Carmilnir. The dragon. The vampire dragon. I trust you are already aware of her legend. Well it's all nonsense anyway. She's actually not that sore about not being invited to the accord. It amused her that no messenger brave enough to delve into her domain surfaced in time. It was then that she took an interest in humans. Which leads to the most misunderstood thing about Carmilnir, the blood price.

Now, a more traditional version of it is exacted when her hand is forced and her flock is being threatened. As a rule she tries not to work up an appetite and suck her territory dry. This is where the tribute plays a part. Carmilnir appreciates gold and trinkets like any dragon. But a truly ancient being such as her has seen most of what the world has to offer. Only the most rare and esoteric treasures capture her fancy. The blood paid is not spilled, but it is someone offered to her service. Well offered is perhaps the wrong word for it. These days she selects her servants.

I saw her at the edge of town in the night. Carmilnir had taken a human form. It is... beyond words. The grandeur of her towering magnificence concentrated into such a- Ahem. Well it was a rare blessing to behold the sight. The next thing I knew I was in the volcano lair and she was explaining how I was now an heir to dragons and would one day expand her hoard. Since then I trained and was imbued with magical prowess. Carmilnir is an excellent teacher. Gentle and patient. But stern and forceful. Every simple movement of hers exudes raw power and grace. She is an inspiration and everything I aspire to.

How did you escape from them? Who, outside the team, tries to take care of you now?

To be honest I have no completed my training. I grew bored. And annoyed with the other heirs. The princes are all simpletons at best. Sure their studiousness is fine, most apply their magical talents in more academic disciplines. They are just so unbearable to talk to. They disgust me. Intolerable is how flattering they are to me. Their saccharine sweet act is tedious.

So I left. Well obviously it wasn't that simple. Carmilnir protects her investments. I had help. Xiao Xiang Tatara. Yes she is... not from around here.

She is a treasure Carmilnir collected from far away. An abandoned umbrella that absorbed so much negativity at being abandoned it produced a vengeful spirit to posses it. Yes it think it is quite a remarkable occurrence. A spirit of pure grudge not produced from a previous life. Well she like myself tired of being couped up in Carmilnir's lair. So she devised a prank that we would escape and go out on a lark for our own amusement.

Since then we've stayed close together. Honestly, I believe she intends to blame me if Carmilnir comes for us. Ironically I suspect this because she has made sure to have her continued presence be valuable to me. It was her who connected to the organization with which I might apply my talents.

Why do you try to be a hero? Why do you care about the team?

Well, to protect many people is what Carmilnir does, does she not? I suppose you might call it extortion. But a guardian should be compensated, should she not? Speaking of compensation, I hope this will be a good opportunity to find a great treasure. If I return with one she won't be mad right. I'll prove I am ready to see the world and expand her hoard early.

If they can keep up with me I shall be impressed. I will give them the chance to. I respect their audacity in thinking they even can. But, even if they may be my peers I will make them know I am their better. There are hierarchies within hierarchies. A baroness is above a margravine, but they are all nobles. It is a simple concept. Even peasantry understand it.

Ha! Terrify is a rather strong word to describe anything I feel! Very well I shall humor you. I wish never to meet another dragon. Carmilnir is estranged from her kin obviously. I do not know if dragon heirs is a typical practice. But I have the gnawing feeling that other dragons or their heirs would not take kindly to the vampiric matron's talon within their sight. I'm confident in my abilities, but another heir would not have the disadvantageous against me everyone else does.

Hrmph. Well I suppose there are creatures I find unsettling. Those of a demonic nature especially those that alter their appearance. When they attempt to be appealing I just feel strange. They are beautiful of course. But it's off. I can feel the falseness of it all I suppose? It is disorienting and off putting. It is a shoddy magic compared to my mistress' clearly. The insidious nature of demons make it no better. Every word feels like a trap. I am left on edge.

Well there is one demon I do like.

Despite her crass nature. She seems forthright. Despite the nature of her organization. Well... it's complicated as most things are yes? The Pit Vipers are a gang. But they concern themselves mostly with ensuring demons are treated right in the city. Which I respect. Only a few races of demon signed the accord. And they are regarded poorly due to their cousins. They don't cause *much* trouble. I'm not going to concern myself with petty vice peddling for sure.

Ms. Steele has a curious knowledge of dragons. Even more intriguing is she seems to be in charge of the academy's vault. Items that are too dangerous I believe is the given reason for the lock down. But I know vaults are for treasure.

quote:

Octavia Stuvos Carmilnir
thrall Heir to Dragons

Woman, Calloused Hands, Baggy clothing, over the top costume

Superhumanly tough, incredibly strong, and uniquely skilled at fighting. By invoking the spirit of the dragon resting within her heart. Instead of a firey or such display Octavia's aura explodes into one of death and malice. Monstrous visages of ki bleed off of her.

FREAK +1
DANGER +2
SAVIOR 0
SUPERIOR +1
MUNDANE -1

You’ve got a head you don’t need: When you provoke someone with obvious threats and shows of force, roll + Danger instead of +Superior.

Punch everyone: Whenever you charge into a fight without hedging your bets, you can shift your Danger up and any other Label down.

We defeated a dangerous enemy. Who or what was it?
Relationships
_______________ is your love. You’ve opened up to them about the worst parts of your past.
_______________ is your rival. They tried to control you at a crucial moment.
Influence
You’re selective about who you let in. Give your love and rival Influence over you, but that’s it.

Moment of Truth
This is what you do best. You let loose, all the pent up strength and rage and glee, and you break
whatever stands in your way. You are a walking demolition crew. What can stand up to you?
Nothing. Not buildings. Not structures. Not enemies. Nothing. Of course, now the people who
changed you know exactly where to find you...

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, make them your love or rival
immediately to mark potential. If they are already your love or rival, take Influence over them and
mark potential.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, give them Influence and hold 2. Spend
that hold to help them as if it were Team in the pool.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 7, 2017

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Sheldon Connery AKA Chitter, the Janus

When people think about Stone’s Hallow, they usually think about the most infamous landmarks of the city: the Hundred-Bells Cathedral, Uthragor’s Landing, maybe the Shadowkeepers HQ. All big, impressive buildings that tower over you with their grand arches and their silent, judgmental gargoyles. But for every building like that, there are hundreds if not thousands of miners that had to extract the stone from the quarry, and then dozens of masons that had to sculpt it into the needed shape. And even after that, there are janitors that sweep its floors and keep it clean, tour guides that teach people what makes these buildings important, and a whole mess of people who have nothing to do with those places but just walk in front of them every day.
Most of Stone’s Hallow isn’t its landmarks, is what I’m saying. It’s the little people in their little neighborhoods who make such a big city possible. One of those neighborhoods is called Vermintown (it used to be an insult, but the residents took it back), and that’s where me and my brother Rick live now that we’ve run away from home.

Who shaped your childhood, who inspired you to be who you are?
Now before you call child services, let me elaborate: my mother is Grimhilde Ironclaw, an enforcer of the crime syndicate of rogue alchemists known as the Heralds of Prometheus.

She…well, she was not the ideal mother, that’s for sure. She wasn’t really planning on having me, I think, and she made it pretty clear that she resented having to care for me instead of being out there, chasing her dream of the Alchemical Singularity. You don’t really need to know the details, but let’s just say that I was left alone for far longer you should leave a little kid alone, and that things might have gotten really bad without other, more responsible members of the Heralds dropping off groceries and checking on me from time to time.

Who is important to you?
Things did take a turn for the worse when Grimhilde had Rick. I was eight at the time, and she was furious. I distinctly remember the words “another brat to waste my precious time and resources”. She hired a babysitter to handle Rick and pretty much washed her hands of his existence. Her name was Roxy, and as nice as she was she couldn’t provide the constant care that a baby needs. The Heralds helped some, but as Rick grew, they decided that they had better things to do than make sure that Grimhilde’s spawn survived and that I was probably old enough to handle my brother, anyway.
I wasn’t, but I was still a better caretaker for him than those whackjobs. I used to resent Rick for all the trouble he caused when I was little, but now I’d give my right arm to make sure that he’s safe. He’s just a nice kid with a big appetite and a bigger heart. He’s also very perceptive about other people’s emotions for his age; I have a collection of drawings that he’s made for me when he noticed I was feeling sad. I think being raised in such a crappy household hasn’t been great for him. He’s very quiet and non-confrontational, and he scares easy. I worry that he’s the perfect target for bullies.

When did you first put on the mask? Why?
I didn’t have a mask at the time, but I still remember the day Chitter was born like it was yesterday. A group of Shadowkeepers had discovered Grimhilde’s lair, and were bombarding it with all they had. Of course, at the time I had no idea that was the case. I just knew that Grimhilde was on outside, screaming that they’ll never take her alive, that the whole house was shaking like an earthquake and that Rick was bawling his eyes out. I could feel the moisture of his eyes as he held him close to me, desperately trying to convince him that it would all be alright.
And suddenly, I could see everywhere.

The way it would have been explained to me at the Academy much later, highly stressful situation can unlock latent magical powers in people. That’s what happened to me that day. Suddenly I could see from the point of view from every rat in the house, in the sewers under us, on the street outside as they scampered to safety while the Shadowkeeper bombarded the bizarre automatons that Grimhilde employed.
I grabbed our backpacks, stuffed all that could fit inside, and used those rats’ eyes and ears to map out an escape route for my brother and me. I was still overwhelmed by all the information that I was receiving from dozens of rodent brains, so I don’t remember much. I do know that we spent almost a week on the streets before the folks of Vermintown noticed us and asked us if we could use some help.
During that time, I did a lot of thinking. As scared as I had been at the time, I couldn’t honestly blame the Shadowkeepers for what had happened. How could they have known? I doubt that Grimhilde advertised the fact that she was a single mother much, and the only other people who knew about me and Rick were Roxy and the other Heralds of Prometheus. We slipped through the cracks. But this means that the Shadowkeepers need somebody spying through those cracks; they need a view from below, not just from on high. They need eyes and ears that can scurry in the hidden parts of the city and witness the problems that don’t come out in the light of day.
I’m going to be those eyes. I can’t stand the idea that other victims of secretive and hidden villains are hiding beyond the gaze of the Shadowkeepers, this very moment, and nothing is done about it.

Now we leave in a condominium owned by a witch that goes by Granny Farthings. She runs the place as some sort of refuge for people fallen on hard times. Despite her grumpy exterior, she’s patient enough with the rent and fiercely protective of what she refers to as “her people”. She also doesn’t mind keeping an eye on Rick when I’m working or… otherwise busy. She just has me do some repair work or other chores that someone her age shouldn’t do in exchange. Seems pretty fair to me, honestly.
I also suspect that she’s much older than she looks, and judging from the respect and almost fear that she inspires in the residents, she might have been a big deal back in the day. I never pried.

Why do you keep a secret identity? Who thinks the worst of your masked identity?
Oh, did I not mention that I have a job? Yeah, Granny may be patient with rent, but it still has to be paid. So I’ve gotten a job as a delivery boy for the local deli store. It’s pretty darn important for another reason beside the obvious: I’m on a shaky situation, legally speaking, as far legal guardianship goes. Grimhilde has been declared unfit for parenting, of course, and Ricky is momentarily under my care due to “extraordinary circumstances”. I suspect that Granny Falkins might have applied a bit of pressure on my behalf for this.
But there is always the threat of social services standing over me. In particular, a social worker that introduced herself as Ms. Acorn was assigned to our case.

She’s the type that plays by the rules and considers any exception or attempt to swindle said rules as an almost personal affront. So she’s not thrilled about our situation. She’s made it clear to me that she’s going to monitor me very closely, and if she finds that anything’s amiss, she’s going to send Rick to an orphanage. She sincerely seems to believe that I can’t possibly be able to handle this responsibility on my own.
I have to bite my tongue at every hearing to avoid giving her something to work against me. I have to keep my job, make sure that Rick is well cared for and make it to all of her stupid hearings. Rick couldn’t handle losing another home. Hell, I’m not sure I could handle losing him at this point. He’s all the family I have.
Oh, and to top it all off, Ms. Acorn has a low opinion of the new vigilante who’s been patrolling Vermintown with an helmet painted to look like an open rat’s mouth. I asked her why, and she told me that reasonable people, especially young ones, shouldn’t risk life and limb fighting criminals. I was about to ask her how that applied to Shadowkeepers, but thankfully I shut my mouth in time. If she finds out about my secret identity, she could make life quite hard for me. Not to mention that I have this fear of some villain finding out about my real name, and using it to track me to my neighborhood and taking vengeance on my neighbors and family. How can I take a risk like that?

Who, outside of the team, knows about your dual identity?
…I mean, I say that, but I suspect that some of the neighbors are starting to figure it out. Last week, Granny Farthings told me that if I ever get hurt on the job, I should go to her right away. That…doesn’t make a whole lot of sense if she’s talking about my delivery job. I’m kind of worried about who else might know. Have I let something slip?

When I control the rats, I sometimes find myself controlling a mutant. Now, mutant rights are not an unusual sight; all the magical discharge and alchemical waste that goes in the city's plumbings causes the poor guys to grow extra tails or to increase their size or similar things. But this one time, while I was calling upon rodent reinforcements to try and stop the Mannquin from making his escape, I touched...something else.
I'm not sure how to describe it. It was the mental equivalent of going fishing for minnows, and accidentally being pulled off the boat by a leviathan. I could feel it turning my mind this way and that, as if it couldn't figure out what to do with it. It touched upon my most secret feelings and my innermost thoughts, and then kind of...threw me aside. I am 100% sure that if it really wanted, it could have snapped my brain in half like a twig. I was only safe because I, apparently, confuse it.
I don't know what it is, and my teachers at the academy don't know, either, but whatever it is, it's not a rat.

They’re good people, trying to do good. That’s plenty of admirable in its own right. Sure, some of them could benefit from a bit of a “view from the bottom”, but still. Plus, they’re pretty cool.

quote:

Chitter the Janus
Labels: Danger 0 Freak -1 Savior +1 Superior 0 Mundane +3
Man, Half-blood, boring clothing, flashy costume, helmet (painted to resemble a rat's head. The visor is the open maw! He did it himself and he thinks it's awesome.)
Ablities: Rodent control, supernatural sense. Chitter can lead mentally command hordes of rats, and he can see and hear what they see and hear.
Moves:

The Mask: Mask: You wear a mask and hide your real identity. Choose what Label you try to embody while wearing your mask: Danger. Once per session, you can affirm either your heroic or secret identity to switch your Mundane with your mask’s Label. When you reveal your secret identity to someone who didn’t know it already, mark potential.

Dangerous web: When you reveal a trap you’ve left for someone using your powers, roll + your mask’s Label. On a hit, your opponent trips into it, and you get an opening or opportunity against them. On a 10+, take +1 forward to pursuing it. On a miss, the trap inadvertently leads to a dangerous escalation.

I’ll save you!: You’re willing to pay high costs to keep your loved ones safe. Reveal your secret identity to someone watching or mark a condition to defend a loved one as if you rolled a 12+.

Secret identity: Sheldon's responsabilities in his human life include: surrogate parenting, a job as a delivery person and regular meetings with the social services lady.

We saved the life of someone important, either to the city or to us. Who was it? Why are they important?

Relationships
_____________________ knew you from your civilian life first.
You refused to tell ___________________ your secret identity when they asked.

Influence
You look up to your teammates; they seem to have this superhero thing figured out. Give two of them Influence over you.

Moment of Truth
The mask is a lie, and some piece of you has always known that. Doesn’t matter if others can see it. You’re the one that can do the impossible. Mask off. Costume on. And you’re going to save the drat day. Of course, you better hope nobody nasty is watching…
Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, ask them if they see you as the person wearing the mask or the person underneath. If the former, mark potential and clear a condition. If the latter, take Influence over them if you reveal yourself.
When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, tell them a secret about who you really are. Give them Influence, and shift your Mundane up and your mask’s Label down.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 16, 2017

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sorry for the absence everyone. Life has been... funny. But hey, here's some first round questions. Second round of questions for those who already got the first should come.... tomorrow, hopefully.

You still have 28 more hours from this posting to finish your app, or post one or it will be considered withdrawn.

Princess Mithalia

What about 'Accord' do you like most? What's something that isn't too different from home? What's one thing that was shockingly different? How many people know you're from another world, and not just some rare kind of monster? How many cared? Did your people have any experience with the extra-planar monsters that like to visit 'Accord'? Why choose to become a hero, to a world you barely know?

Viktor Von Something

Your powers seem pretty strong - shapeshifting and making people see their worst fears? Tell me times you've messed up with both aspects of your powers. Now tell me a time you did something good with your powers, and helped someone. What's your own greatest fear? What's your greatest dream? You're obviously not great at handling parental authority, but how have you been in Stone's Hollow, or the Librarium? Any other incidents with people of authority since you left home?

Corona

You cancel magic? That's pretty big - but how does that affect your life when it comes to magical conveniences? It must be hard to even travel the city if you remove the horsepower from all of the Carriages you get into. How do you stay in contact with the team, without any communications magic? Aren't you at all afraid of how most common monsters are more of the brute strength sort, than the magical power?

Octavia

What do you struggle with most, in the Librarium? What do you excel at - besides fighting. If you never got chosen to gain a Dragon's power, what do you think you would have done with your life? If Carmilnir decided she wanted to destroy the Accord, would you be tempted to follow her, or are your ties to her fully severed now that you have become bored of her? Besides fighting skill, what do you look for in people before you'll befriend them? Have you ever felt like maybe you got away too easily?

Chitter

How do you manage to balance work, school, caring for a sibling, and potentially going out for practical heroics? Have you considered using your powers to make money, ever? Tell me one time it's been too much to handle, and you let a responsibility down - and how did you make up for it? How do you keep your identity secret from people in the Librarium?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

KittyEmpress posted:

Corona

You cancel magic? That's pretty big - but how does that affect your life when it comes to magical conveniences? It must be hard to even travel the city if you remove the horsepower from all of the Carriages you get into. How do you stay in contact with the team, without any communications magic? Aren't you at all afraid of how most common monsters are more of the brute strength sort, than the magical power?

"Oh, no, it's not th-that bad! I can still use a magic lantern or a carriage... or a communications charm as long as it's verbal and not... of the mind. I have to focus to try and shut a spell down if it's not aimed at me. It's like... focusing on denying it. Telling it 'no'. As for the strong ones, well, that's why I studied pugilism pythonissam. It's supposed to keep alive in those sorts of situations... I mean, it probably wouldn't be much good against a really big monster like a primal dragon, but that's part of why I'm with a team, right? Of course, I could probably use a protection charm, as long as its a deflection-type evocation instead of an invigoration-type blessing. I might even be able to use a wand... if it had verbal commands and not intent-based triggers. I can't trigger them by will, and they can't affect me, but I can still use them.

But course I'm afraid! Who wouldn't be? But that's part of being a hero, right? Being afraid, but... still being there. That's why I practice so much, and practice hard. I can't make mistakes."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

KittyEmpress posted:

Princess Mithalia
What about 'Accord' do you like most?

Hm... well, I talked about the freedom to do what I want without having an escort and how exciting everything is, right? Well... after those, I suppose I like how friendly and talkative people are. Even correcting for my unique social status, I do not think it would be unreasonable to say that my people are much more taciturn than the average resident of Stone's Hallow. I suppose part of that is because it is easier to communicate mentally, but even telepathy is very controlled and reserved. Too much emotion in a telepathic message tends to make the other person feel the emotion you're expressing, which is unspeakably rude.

KittyEmpress posted:

What's something that isn't too different from home?
Did you know that almost every culture in the galaxy has a holiday that involves a ritual exchange of gifts with friends and family? Well, Accord is no different. The gifts here tend to be festooned with skulls or made of undead wood, but that just adds to the charm!

Last year, I gave Crimson Mystic an absolutely flawless quartz I had grown on the lab of my ship. He was so amazed that he started to apologize for his own gift, but when I saw the red scarf he had knit for me, I told him I could not have asked for a nicer gift! I always wear it around the Librarium Aeturnus

(Before you ask, my ship's status is a bit of a long story, but suffice it to say that I could not leave any time soon, even if if I wanted to).

KittyEmpress posted:

What's one thing that was shockingly different?
Oh, there is so much that is different! When I first came here, I did not know that people still had to pay for food. I did not think there was anywhere in the galaxy where that was the case! But, I pieced it together when I heard someone yelling about a thief.

Needless to say, it was a very embarrassing first day on the planet. I have learned the local peculiarities about what does and does not require money since then, but it still baffles me that people can refuse others food and other necessary goods simply for not having the local currency.

KittyEmpress posted:

How many people know you're from another world, and not just some rare kind of monster? How many cared?
That is a little complicated, actually. Many people think I am just an unusual "fae," which I have come to understand is someone still from this planet, but a different version of it. (It still is not very clear to me.) I can understand why they are confused, since the fae I have run into often speak of "being from other worlds." I try to correct people, but even after my explanations, most of the common folk do not see any difference.

It is very frustrating! At least most people in the Librarium Aeturnus seem to understand the difference, but it is filled with people who have devoted their life to understanding the different natures of the signatories to the Accord.

KittyEmpress posted:

Did your people have any experience with the extra-planar monsters that like to visit 'Accord'?
At this Mithalia's face actually flushes a deep, emerald green.

Well... no. At least, not on a widely accepted level. I actually had assumed such stories to be... ah... primitive superstitions.

She looks even more embarrassed at saying it out loud.

The stories just sounded so ridiculous! And I thought that there was no way the people here understood parts of reality better than my people did. But, I have seen beings from other realities that do not make physical sense. It is actually a very difficult thing to cover in my dispatches back home, because some of my families worry that I might be "going native." But the people here really do understand some things more than the Academy of Natural Sciences do back on board the Pinnacle.

KittyEmpress posted:

Why choose to become a hero, to a world you barely know?
Is that not what good people are supposed to do? I have been given kindness and hospitality by people on this world, and I am stronger than most of the inhabitants. So, I should help protect them.

...But, if I am being honest with myself, I... also wanted to live out the stories about my grandmother. The current peace in the Stardust Kingdom is actually relatively new, but the stories of the adventures my grandmother went on with her inner circle enraptured me. My favorite story HAS to be the one where grandmother used a blockade runner to land on Relayne 3 while it was under pirate blockade. Then, she rescued a small town whose bombardment shield was malfunctioning, saving them from the pirate's attack at the last minute!

Mother always frowned on the tutors telling me about such stories, but she could not very well prevent me from learning about the history of the royal family. At best, there would be rumors that the queen was ashamed of her family's past. However, she made it a point to speak to me after the lessons, telling me that the kingdom did not need a leader to be down in the fray anymore. The navy was more than a match for any pirate threat, and all the worlds were prospering.

Which is just a fancy way of saying everything is boring now.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 13, 2017

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Princess - The Outsider

Proud, arrogant, and powerful beyond measure, the Race of Dragons have been the most dangerous of all Monsters never to have signed the Accord. Territorial, highly independent and with a strict hierarchical system of rule, any one dragon could turn away any lesser species daring to encroach on their land, leaving them with no need or desire to join the lesser races in the Accord. And for countless years there was either the unease peace of uninterested neighbors, or the brief violence of the occasional raid across lines, always ending in blood and fire. But as the years and centuries went on, the land of dragons stayed the same, for dragons live practically forever and change very little, while the lands of Man and Magic grew, flourished and advanced in magic in ways not even the dragons with all their magic could have ever imagined.

Then, fifty years ago, when one dragon went storming across the land to gather more treasure and knowledge to it's horde, the unthinkable happened. The dragon died. Across history, many dragons have died at the claws and fangs of another, but never before at the hands of a human. Isolated from our realm, you can have no idea the impact this hand, of the shockwave it sent through our land. On that day, the dragons faced a choice, and though many called for violent revenge and all out destruction, they did not. If the races of Man and Magic had grown strong enough to slay a dragon, how strong had they become? Would an attack mean the end of our race? And what of the other races? Dragons are not friendly, but very few are bloodthirsty enough to want to wipe out all the other thinking peoples. So with earth and fire, they drew up the ground along the borders of the lands of the Accord and the lands of Dragons to form the impassable mountain range that divides our lands today, and then they thought, argued, and planned.

Finally, they concluded they didn't know enough of what the rest of the world was like today. Scrying can show you much, but not enough to understand. A dragon would have to cross the mountains and learn what life in the accord was like, what the world had become, and what place Dragons could have in it, be it independent beings with no connection, enemies, or (superior) members. And it would have to be a young dragon, one not so fully bound to the old ways of thinking, who could take their experiences and grow with them. And so I volunteered.

My real name is unpronounceable, of course, but you can call me Princess Yanmei if you like, it was what felt appropriate when I changed forms. Some things are just instinctual. I'm the youngest dragon - aside from two new hatchlings - and the only one my age (there are two others a few years older) with the right mindset. [unpronounceable screeching] is too much of a flame-head to get along with other people and [more unpronounceable roars] is too prissy to handle it. The Golden-Queen-in-Flames-and-Terror -this translation doesn't really get the gist but it's what humans decided to call her thousands of years ago, so it should do- isn't too happy about the idea, she still thinks of me as her precious little sparkling, but since I volunteered and the other dragons gave their approval, even she can't stop me. I did say that we're very hierarchical, but I also said we were very independent too~

Which is partly why I volunteered to come. Aside from the fact that I'm the only one even remotely capable of it until the hatchlings mature, isn't it exciting to think about this? I'll be the first dragon in thousands of years - the first ever maybe - to live among humans, and as the only dragon there no one can tell me what to do and the entire world will be my territory! I'll learn things no one else has ever learned, see things no one has ever seen, all that knowledge will be mine first of all and I'll be the wisest of all the dragons! And if I see something I like, I can claim it before any other dragons even have a chance to desire it. This'll be perfect!

Though I have to admit this stupid humanish body is a real pain. I don't understand how the other races function with such a small body. And having to use their hands instead of magic. Bleh.

Well, I thought no one can tell me what to do, until it turns out I have to go to some stupid school to learn about being part of The Accord. I suppose it's still knowledge, and will help for this process of seeing if our species should join to it, or stay separate, but.... It can't be good knowledge, if they're giving it away free to so many people, can it? What's the point in hording something everyone has? That's just one of the things I'll have to see, but in the meantime, I want to speak with our headmaster - who I've yet to even see. They must be playing some game here, and I want to know what it is.

quote:

I'm a Dragon, the Emissary-Princess, nothing scares me!

But if it did, it'd be one hero, The Dragon Slayer. He had an old name, once, before he killed one of my people, but now that's gone, all that's left is his 'great' act. Fifty years later, I thought he would be old, or dead, but it didn't take long to find out he is still alive, and as young as ever. He must be using the blood of the dragon with all its magical properties to keep himself alive and young, perhaps he is ageless now, just like us. No one has ever killed a dragon before, so we don't know what effects it would have. But despite his claim to heroics, and the .... justified ... nature of his crime, defending human and magic life from an attacker outside the Accord... he's evil. I can feel it around him, his desire to kill me too, like the one before me. He's been corrupted, but no one would believe me. He's their heroic dragon slayer, after all. I can't stand being near him.

The Outsider posted:

Hero Name: Princess
Real Name: [unspeakable by human or magic tongues] Princess Lóng Yanmei
Look: woman, draconian body, glowing eyes, little clothing, no costume

Abilities: draconic shapeshifting, draconic glamour (beauty or terror)

Outsider Moves
Draconic Magic Alien tech: When you alter a human device with your dragon magic, roll + Freak. On a hit, you create a device that can do something impossible once and then fizzle. When you roll a 10+, choose one:
- it works exceptionally well
- you get an additional use out of it
On a miss, the device works, but it has a completely unintended side effect that the GM will reveal when you use it.

The best of them: When you comfort or support someone by telling them how they exemplify the best parts of Earth, roll + Freak instead of + Mundane.

Belong in two worlds: You have the resources that come with your station. Whenever you contact your people, roll + Superior. On a 10+, hold 3. On a 7-9, hold 2. On a miss, hold 1, but your people make an uncomfortable demand of you. Spend your hold 1 for 1 to:
- receive a useful piece of alien technology that will allow you to use any ability from another playbook once (choose the ability when you spend the hold)
- consult your people’s knowledge to ask the GM a question about the current situation
- clear a condition through the comfort of contact with your home

Labels
Danger -1
Freak +2
Savior 0
Superior +2
Mundane 0

Moment of Truth
You embrace your home and call them for aid. They will answer your call—in force!—arriving exactly when you need them to turn the tide. They fight and serve you for the rest of the battle. Of course, when all is said and done...they’d probably like to take you home with them. You did, after all, just prove yourself worthy.

Team Moves
When you share a triumphant celebration with someone, take Influence over them if you show them meaningful affection, physical or emotional. They decide if it’s meaningful.

When you share a vulnerability or weakness with someone, they tell you what you should do to fit in more. Take +1 forward to do it, and mark potential if you do.

We didn’t trust each other at first, but that changed. How? Why?

Relationships
You’ve been learning about Earth by spending time with _____________.
You have a crush on ________________ but you keep it under wraps.

Influence
Choose your demeanor: you’re haughty, you think you’re better than them. Give no one Influence.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

Chitter

How do you manage to balance work, school, caring for a sibling, and potentially going out for practical heroics?
It's not easy, I'll tell you that much. There's a lot of desperately dashing through alleyways and shortcuts to make sure I'm at the right place at the right time. I've tried to impress into most people that I have a lot of stuff on my plate and sometimes I'm just going to be late or unavailable, but it doesn't always work. Ms. Acorn thinks that I do double shifts at my job to make ends meet, and I haven't dissuaded her from that notion. Makes me look like a model parent, and explains why I'm busy on both mornings and afternoons.

quote:

Have you considered using your powers to make money, ever?
I, ehm. I kind of already do? It helps me, at least. I use the rats to scout ahead when I'm doing deliveries sometimes, so I know if Coterie Boulevard has a lot of traffic, for example. But it's still me doing the brunt of the job, not them. I've considered finding a job where they could help me more, but I'm terrified of what will happen if, say, I'm cleaning someone's house and they come in to see a bunch of rats cleaning the floor with little rat-sized rags. As adorable as that sounds, I can't risk it.

quote:

Tell me one time it's been too much to handle, and you let a responsibility down - and how did you make up for it?
The very first time me and my class at the Librarium were supposed to go out on patrol, it was really exciting, you know? It was the time we could all finally put into practice our work, the first time our teachers thought we were prepared enough for working on the field.
The day before our outing, Rick got sick.
I couldn't leave him alone at that, I just couldn't. I had to miss one of the most important days of our Shadowkeeper training because Rick had 103 F° worth of fever and had a red, sweaty face, the poor kid. Granny was nowhere to be found, so all I could do was shoot a text to one of my classmates, asking them to tell our teacher that I couldn't come for a personal reason.
The teacher, Mrs. Grimm was pretty harsh on me; she made me do a catch-up test, and she was even more draconian than usual. But it was nothing compared to my classmates. See, we were supposed to travel in pairs, right? And I was assinged to this reptilian girl, Vipera.

Because I didn't come, she couldn't go on patrol either, because Mrs. Grimm wouldn't have her travel alone. The class felt that by doing acting like that I betrayed them, pretty much. They eventually forgave me, even Vipara, but they never forgot. There was always this edge in all our interactions from that point onward, as if every time we were planning an outing, they'd think: "So, are you going to leave us hanging again?"
It made the rest of the school year pretty rough, I'm not going to lie.

quote:

How do you keep your identity secret from people in the Librarium?
Well, as it turns out, you don't have to reveal your real name when asking to join the Librarium. There's an ancient bylaw that allows people to only reveal their 'banner name', that is to say, what most Shadowkeepers nowadays call their 'title'. I think it was originally made to let the Races of Magic to adopt a Shadowkeeper persona, back when it was still considered sort of shameful for them to work for the enemy, so to say. Not all the teachers appreciate me taking advantage of the letter of the law like that, but, well. I do what I gotta do.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Oct 10, 2017

nil.
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

Viktor Von Something
Ah ha. Just Viktor will suffice. Or my full title, if you want to be formal, but of course it is not required.

quote:

Your powers seem pretty strong - shapeshifting and making people see their worst fears? Tell me times you've messed up with both aspects of your powers.
First off, thank you for the compliment! The powers I command might not be what a full-grown vampire might have at their disposal, but they are impressive nonetheless, no? I may not be able to do the, I quote, ‘swirly eye thing’, but dominating other minds is frowned upon under the Accord anyway. A quick tongue and mind are a good replacement, I found. More fun as well! Now, you are correct, my command of my powers is not always… perfect.

Viktor slumps in his chair - then looks at the ceiling, blowing a raspberry. He seems somewhere between annoyed and amused.

Let’s just say that there is still room for improvement, which I will take care of on my own, thank you father. Well, or with the help of the tutors at the Librarium Aeternus! Now the main issue, or danger, is a mental one. Which I am suuuure my family would like to link with why I am ‘disobedient’ and ‘difficult’, but what do they know? In any case, I am sure it’s quite obvious to you how shapeshifting and hallucinations relate to mental control.

He sighs.

One time, I spent almost a week stuck as some sort of person / dog hybrid - one hand a paw, the other a normal hand, far too much body hair, that sort of thing. The main problem was that my head was that of a dog, and I think I may have forgotten how exactly to shapeshift while, err, shapeshifting. The average dog is not very smart after all, which brings us back to mental control. Holding on to your own self, et cetera, et cetera. A whole week, unable to talk properly. I could only bark! Terrible.

Oh, and I suppose one time when turning into a bat I flew into a wall and knocked myself out. Quite fortunate I did not fall very far.

Now, the hallucinations or, how you put it, making people see their worst fear. That is one possible way of using it, perhaps even the most powerful, but… Obviously I do not know everyone’s worst fear. But it is true I can let my power, hm, roam, search for prey, as it were, but - well, things can get mixed up when so many minds are involved. It can be difficult to keep them apart, even my own.

Me and a dozen people were stuck in some sort of… nightmare hospital for what felt like hours. I do not know whose nightmare they were, perhaps a mixture of all of them. Long, cold corridors, with people just out of sight. No respite, no way out. It was… rather unsettling. Well! In the end, it turned out someone nearby had quite different things on their mind - seeing myself only in my underwear with a rose between my teeth, positively sparkling, knocked me out of the hallucination! I assume it was that girl, but, who knows?

I laughed quite a bit. It felt good after what came before. I think I shall stick to simply imagining myself what to show as an illusion for now, instead of letting my power, well, probe other minds. Far less powerful, yes, but also much safer. Of course, sometimes, needs must.

quote:

Now tell me a time you did something good with your powers, and helped someone.
Ah, yes! Now strictly I have not yet won a properly ‘heroic’ victory which, as common sense would have it, involves your enemies brought to their knees before you and yourself standing tall. Perhaps some looting of their former possessions or a beheading. That is what the great victories in the lectures on my family’s history and also the tall tales of heroes here in the city are like. No matter.

One day I saw a great pillar of smoke over Stone's Hallow, and heard a great commotion - panic, people running this way and that, not sure what to do, et cetera. I quickly made my way there in the form of a raven - I would have never arrived in time taking the back alleys - and tried to find out what had happened, and whether I would be able to lend my help. I had come to the city to join the heroic Librarium Aeternus, after all.

I could see what must have been a group of heroes battling an… erm… well… what I can only describe as some sort of arsonist clown. Terrible dentistry. I was ready to swoop down and join the fight, perhaps impressing the heroes and making it obvious that I could safely skip some of the pro forma hurdles for newcomers in the Librarium Aeternus, when I spotted something else that demanded my attention. Ravens have quite sharp eyes. A nearby school had caught on fire, and a teacher and his class had been trapped inside!

After almost flying into a window as the raven, I made my way inside instead as a rat instead. Clearing a path was not the problem, but rather that both the teacher and his class of children were terrified, cowering and unwilling to move. I do have to admit, it was far harder to command a frightened, confused mass of people than father made it always look like! The flames were growing closer and, yes, I was getting mildly... concerned. The voice of a former tutor in my ear nagging me about wasting my talent was not helping. That is when inspiration struck me, however. I recalled lessons that I remembered more fondly, at my mother’s knee reading a storybook, with illustrations. Somewhat childish, I know - but using my powers of illusion, a storybook is exactly what I turned the raging inferno around us into. Dancing flames trying to poke the children with fiery pokers on the one hand, helpful spirits waving for the children to follow them along the safe passage. I was quite happy and relieved when it turned into a total success, the children still scared dragged along by those that suddenly ran outside the burning school with no fear.

The teacher? Ah. I had him moving using a few words insulting his manhood and how even the children under his care were braver than him. After we were all safely outside, I may have indulged the class with an encore, in which the arsonist clown - the real one having fled long ago - was flattened by a falling piano, then beaten profoundly by the crowd. A bit macabre? Perhaps. But the storybooks I read were vampire storybooks and besides, the children loved it.

quote:

What's your own greatest fear?
Viktor seems to shrink in his seat, his shoulders hunched, his eyes downcast.

I have said before that I can be too formal, between us, between equals. What I am trying to say is… I will just tell you, without any - I do not know. How I normally am.

My family, my tutors, they told us our bloodline had a great destiny. That we were above all, that we were on top of the food chain, as it were. The apex predator. Meant to rule, to accomplish great things. Apart from the Common Folk, apart from their… frailties. Safe behind great walls, if need be waiting out the deadly fevers grasping the outside, the mortal world - in comfort, in safety, on a throne of our great accomplishments.

When I looked up at the painting on my departed mother our castle felt cold, too large… inhuman. A frigid corpse, with limbs grown stiff and arteries drained empty, it’s heart a misshapen blackened rock. And me, lost inside, with no idea where to go - and maybe even no desire to.

What am I afraid of? That I’m not special after all, that I’m just some idiot that thinks he is. That one day, the true masters of everything will knock me down. Death. Disease. Dominion over all. Not some great struggle like in the books, but something creeping, something I can’t fight, something that is taking that very fight away from me. And it’ll tell me that it is right that I lose - because everyone does. That the only thing separating me from anyone else was arrogance, and that it made me blind to… I do not know. What is truly important, I suppose.

And as I lie dying in great large building, a thousand voices in great cold hallways, I am nevertheless alone. Perhaps there are people at my side, but they are not with me. I am alone. I am empty. What I have accomplished in life does not fill any of the holes inside of me, just something outside, something that will be revealed for what it was the whole time once I am dead: meaningless. Something I struggled for, telling me it was for a purpose, when I should have.. Well. Found something else. But it will be too late by far.

quote:

What's your greatest dream?
Viktor pulls himself up, inhales deeply. With a flip of his hair he settles down in his chair, once again composed, even enthusiastic.

Of course! After that… spell just a second ago, I will try to keep it brief. Now, given the marvellous opportunities offered by Stone's Hallow, which at times can seem wonderfully overwhelming, it would be hasty to assume I have already found something that I shall pursue, no matter what else I might find in the future. Which, to be quite frank, is something a tutor or some presumptuous adult would advise: to focus on something to the exclusion of everything else. Ha! Not me.

However, my experiences in the opera and my fiery performance for the trapped school class lead me to realization: I might quite enjoy being an artist! Perhaps an actor, or maybe a writer, a painter? I have only begun to take my first steps, but so far it has been, well, encouraging. Even though I often worked alone, when I took the brush to the canvas, the pen to paper, I felt less alone than when I was surrounded by others in that cold castle. And to be appreciated for what is undeniably my own skill - not simply gifts of station and of blood - well, that would be that much the better.

quote:

You're obviously not great at handling parental authority, but how have you been in Stone's Hollow, or the Librarium? Any other incidents with people of authority since you left home?
Now, please. I am sure what you meant is that I am not great at bowing to parental authority. I have become somewhat adept at, ahem, ‘handling’ it however. Let me tell you a secret. You must promise that it will stay between the two of us though, of course. Are you ready?

As a vampire - and one raised by an oh-so-noble crimson house at that - I know better than anyone that most authority is is, well, illusion. It is boasting and attitude on the one hand, acquiescence and politeness on the other. Of course, of course, there are other sorts of authority, but by and large? It is something you say you have, but if someone says you do not, suddenly you don’t. Now this is all well and good, the fabric of society et cetera, but some people take it a little too far, wouldn’t you agree? They think authority is just something they have and nobody can do anything about it. Ha! I have stood up to the incessant pestering of my family, including the actual Count Tiberiu Von Sangdrach, and now I have come to Stone's Hollow to forge my own path, and I am going to let them tell me what to do? I do not think so.

It is not only about me, of course. People like that need a reminder that not everyone listens to them just because want them to. A useful lesson for everyone involved, and if I have to be the star pupil to demonstrate it for the rest of the class? Happy to oblige. It can be quite fun, too! Oh, that reminds me: Stone's Hollow has been marvellous at expanding my horizon. After all, my education until now did not cover, well, these.

Viktor enthusiastically flips the bird with one hand, and shows the two-fingered salute with the other.

There was one overly-dedicated staff member in charge of the dormitories for the Librarium Aeternus applicants was a bit too enamoured with order and discipline. If he would have had his way, all of us applicants would have been out of our beds at 7:30 AM sharp, at the latest. While, yes, I have taken to staying up all day, I am still a vampire and being expected to wake up that early is really asking too much. So one morning, as he predictably came to wake me up by knocking far too forcefully on my door, I was waiting for him.

Using my powers of illusion, I had the door slowly open with a marvellously crafted creak. My room beyond was drowned in darkness - my powers again - with bold, imposing architecture suggested just beyond the shadows. As the coup de grace, I rose from my coffin in the traditional manner, straight as a board. The slightest suggestion of pipe organ music was in the air. I do know the classics. After I inquired as to “who disturbs my slumber?”, I think my point was already well made. He left shortly afterwards. I do not expect any further unseemly disturbances in the future.

Ah, another one? I will keep it brief, people here in the city say I can be a bit long-winded. That would not do for making new, fascinating friends! In any case. One day, at the market, I beheld a magistrate holding a public speech. It concerned on the one hand him raising ‘special taxes’ and on the other hand, as a way of justification, some hogwash about halfbloods stealing work from good, industrious people. It was quite obvious to me one had nothing to do with the other.

I said as much to his face, for all to hear. I may have used what I have been assured is my ‘manipulative streak’ and ‘wicked tongue’ - though apparently it was not wicked enough, because the crowd turned on me! Some thrown rotten produce messed up my hair while the magistrate’s speech was now truly gaining momentum. Inspiration struck me just in time. Slowly, before the crowd’s eyes, the magistrate turned into a large, fat pig on two legs, stuffing his mouth with coins and food, his rant turning into high-pitched squeals. I am happy to say a good bit of the crowd forgot all about me, laughing at the walking caricature instead. Some even threw their produce at him!

nil. fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 11, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Octavia

What do you struggle with most, in the Librarium? What do you excel at - besides fighting. If you never got chosen to gain a Dragon's power, what do you think you would have done with your life? If Carmilnir decided she wanted to destroy the Accord, would you be tempted to follow her, or are your ties to her fully severed now that you have become bored of her? Besides fighting skill, what do you look for in people before you'll befriend them? Have you ever felt like maybe you got away too easily?

Rescue operation lessons I suppose. I understand that as guardians we will be engaging enemies with hostages or some such. But does holding back not endanger the hostage as well as all of us? It is simply prudent to try to take down the enemy as fast as possible when other factors like that could cause distractions. But they would rather I waste time with negotiations and other nonsense. Really all lessons pertaining to interaction seem ridiculous. Are peasants really so obnoxious as suggested in the lessons? I don't recall being so... ugh. The search in the search and rescue I am much better at. It's only natural after all. I am a treasure hunter. And no accounting for taste the victim is someone's treasure. So I take great pride in being able to locate them.

Oh my. I shutter to think. I suppose I would help around the farm until I got married and then helped around that farm. Absolutely dreadful. I wasn't very interested in such a trajectory even then. The idea of running away was always on the back of my mind. But what would I do? Perhaps a minstrel of sorts? I was a popular dancer at the harvest festival. I use such grace in my martial art if you have not been graced to witness it, by the way. Hmm yes I think I would have been a dancer. It is without my impressive arcane might, which suits me, but I think my skill would not be wasted.

B-bored of her?! Of course not! I was merely bored of the training. I wish to prove myself to her by producing a grand treasure for her hoard. Please never say such things again, in such a loud voice. If Carmilnir stood against the accord I would follow her of course. I mean, how could I not? I might suggest she reconsider. If I find any proles in this motley crew to my liking I will certainly suggest to them they join me. I'm not sure why she would seek to destroy the accord though. Do you think, they will attempt to pool their power against the dragons? O-of course not. They could only take out one at a time and that would warn the others. It would never work. So it would never come to pass that I would have to choose between my team and Carmilnir anyway! Haha! What a mean prank you play with such questions. Do you ask everyone such things? Well worry not! As Carmilnir's beloved heir I will surely prove the worth of the accord to her and thus prevent such a hypothetical from ever happening! She would never take up such a trifle anyway. The accord is massive and she doesn't like to work up an appetite. She would rely on serv-

W-well it was Tatara's idea that I join the accord. It would be the fastest way to get a great treasure to return with. Carmilnir probably has one of her other, more tedious, heirs looking for me as we speak. I'm sure Carmilnir hasn't had to worry about her own hoard plotting to steal itself away from her, so it will be much harder next time. So Tatara is making sure we get the most out of this. Yes that must be it. Honestly I haven't thought to ask. She is always explaining herself and the explanation makes sense. It wouldn't be wise to lie to me anyway! I could snap her like the twig that she actually is. She isn't much of a fighter. She needs me way more than I need her! Breaching my trust would be very dire for someone in her position I assure so. And she's too clever to do something so dumb. Yes, clearly.

That's why we get along. She has a good head on her shoulders. I tolerate weaklings. Hell, I almost like them if they know their place. It is simpletons and overconfident fools I cannot stand. That is why I could not stand my fellow heirs. They treated me like some delicate princess. What a bunch of arrogant fools. I am their equal. Hell, I'm better than them! Bunch of meatheads. It's always men isn't it? Never thinking with their heads. How can people so smart be so stupid? It must be a lack of grace. All men lack grace. It's common knowledge! Such clumsy brutish things are tedious.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

KittyEmpress posted:

Gravesaint

So the "Saint of the Graves', as a Legacy, seems to be pretty extreme, level of violence wise - has the stigma of your mom slaughtering those cultists ever been used against your people? How do other heroes feel about the perceived violent legacy? How about for you - does knowing that your mother is a little more... judicious with her punishments than most other Heroes change your opinions of her at all? Or do you think she's right, and that sometimes people and monsters can't be just 'contained', and need to be removed?

Well... look, it's really complicated, okay? And it's pretty heavy.

What my mom did to the cult wasn't really normal, even for us. I mean, yeah, I'm not going to say we've never had blood on our hands before. Great-Grandpa was always about "doing what had to be done" when it had to get bad, and Grandpa and Aunt Petronia were the same, most of the time... but my mom wanted us to be better than that, more idealistic, right? But she couldn't walk the walk, and she kind of had a vendetta. What the Cult did in the Librarium... it was nasty. She was angry, and she kind of lost it, just... for a long time. And you're right, it stained more of us than just our family -- a lot of people got looked at really, really hard. People were looking for excuses for a couple months. Not great.

We don't really talk about it, okay? But I know she's disappointed in herself, at what she did and how it made people look at us. Nobody shed a tear about the Cult of the Elder Blood, but that didn't make it okay. I think my mom managed to pull it back, but... I also think that might be a reason she decided to step down kind of young? Because she made a mistake, and she hurt our name and our place, and she knows it.

How I feel about it? Well... I feel like you have to do what you have to do, but I feel like killing people isn't something we should do, and it's definitely not something we can get away with. I don't intend to even try to get away with it. It's not right, and it's not cool, and I have to do better. I'm willing to do hard, grody stuff -- don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm too good to get my hands dirty -- but there's dirty and then there's wrong.

quote:

On another note, have the expectations of your family worried you at all, or are you sure that you're awesome enough to handle being the new Gravesaint?

... Honestly? Maybe it sounds cocky, but I'm not that worried. I'm still figuring things out, but trust me, I'm pretty good, especially with a team like these guys. I've gotta do it right, and that's kind of scary, but if you're worried about the power? Not even a problem. I'm good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So I decided that I was just gonna ask one round of questions... mostly because only one person who got questions so far left me with any more questions to really ask! So once those who are unfinished finish theirs, and Godfish does theirs, I will have a discord link posted after making picks.

Princess

How strong are you, physically, in both forms? Is there any difference between the two? How hard is it to take a human-like shape, effort wise? And how does it make you feel to 'lower' yourself to their level like this? Coming into this blind, what do you expect to have happen when you arrived? How has the Librarium treated you thus far? What about the general public? What's the best thing about non-draconic society? What's the worst thing? What race do you find the least disgusting? Do you even want to be here, forced to defend people so lesser to you?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

KittyEmpress posted:

Princess
How strong are you, physically, in both forms? Is there any difference between the two? How hard is it to take a human-like shape, effort wise? And how does it make you feel to 'lower' yourself to their level like this?

As a young dragon, I'm not particularly strong in my true form, it would take me days to destroy even a small mountain with just my claws, though of course I would have magic to help with that. Still, my real body should be able to tear through, rend or crush most nearly everything I've come across in this world, aside from the more powerful magical crystals. My claws can slice through steel rather like how your hands slice through a fresh-hatched spider's web, I believe you tend to have rather more trouble with the adult spider's webs, as they are so much thicker and stronger. In this travesty of a body I inhabit for the most of the time in your world on the other hand, I'm pathetically weak, steel would prove much harder, I would have to actually exert myself in trying to rip it apart, more akin to the trouble you would have breaking a reasonably sturdy tree branch.

Of course, I would be even weaker if I took a purely human body, which I could easily do, but I won't. Despite the few ... benefits ... of this form, I refuse to take any shape without my horns, wings, tail and at least some amount of scales, which are my best quality. I will not forsake my birthright. Unfortunately, I've had to compromise on the claws, since so many necessary tasks in this world require my hands to not have my sleek and elegant talons that scar so many things. When forced to forego them, I settle for long pointed finger-nails, which leave my hands free to manipulate objects, while not completely removing their charm. Sigh.

The actual transformation spell is simple, something any dragon can do with little effort, the only difficult part of it is knowing the shape you want to become. That took me a fair bit of research to properly figure out the human body, it has so many strange design choices, whoever thought it was a good idea had some very odd ideas. Dragon's where much better put together. I'm not too proud to admit that even though I volunteered for this, I wasn't eager to take a human form, as they're all so lumpy and inelegant. But once I finally brought myself to do it, it wasn't so bad. The mind effects the body, but the body effects the mind, and having formed my own body, it was easier to accept. And even easier once I got a good look at it and compared it to other humans, mine is far better, as beautiful compared to other humans as my true form is to other dragons, and obviously overflowing with strength. If I must take this body - which I must - at least it's as perfect as a human's could be.

KittyEmpress posted:

Coming into this blind, what do you expect to have happen when you arrived? How has the Librarium treated you thus far? What about the general public?

My expectations... I did not, perhaps, think things through particularly, before arriving. The dragons had sent out a magical message, alerting authorities of my arrival, and I'd taken my Accord-form before arriving, so there was no panic of a dragon flying overhead, but... I thought perhaps a ceremony, a welcoming celebration and a march through the streets, feasts in my honor, or something of the sort. After that, I was going to travel around the lands of the Accord to see what life was like there. I suppose they did do something of a ceremony, if you consider being interrogated by various 'Important' figures and leaders, introduced to a lot of the staff of the Librarium, and I guess given some fairly good food a 'ceremony'. Which I don't.

Aside from that very rude first point of contact, the Librarium itself and the staff have treated me... as well as their other students, anyway, if not quite up to the standard I deserve. They did provide a larger room than usual so I can properly relax there which I've filled it with some of my horde so I have a comfortable bed to sleep on, and for the first few weeks they assigned someone to escort me around the campus and explain anything I wasn't understanding, which was very helpful, even if they wouldn't wait on me properly like they should. I think most of the teachers are rather scared of me, as they should be, but some seem hopeful that I'll be able to bridge our two worlds and bring peace between the Accord and the Dragons at last.

The students on the other hand alternate between abject terror, fascination and hatred. These reactions are all understandable, if you do not feel the appropriate awe, respect and subservience due to someone so much greater than you, fear or hatred are the natural responses, and as a person of such perfect strength and beauty, taking an almost human form, wanting nothing more than to watch me and know as much about me as they can is acceptable. They are humans, or other races of magic, so it's unfortunately impossible, but sometimes I do wish there were some people here who were equals to me, and could treat me as such. Dragons are not especially sociable, but I did have others near my age growing up with me, who I could consider friends. There is none of that here, nor could there be. I am too far above them.

Apparently word got out fairly quickly that there was a friendly dragon joining the Librarium, and the general public has responded similarly to the students, though as I'm far less of a visible figure to them, their reactions when they do see me are much stronger, people fainting or running in terror at the sight of my wings, people clamoring for an autograph or a scale pried from my skin or just a word, and those who mutter darkly as I pass and curse at me, some even have tried to pick a fight. Some people put up pictures of me on their walls, and others have taken to lining the streets with pictures of the Dragon Slayer near places they know I go. Public figures decry my presence to listening crowds, speaking of the 'Dragon Menace' and the invasion soon to come, plots to overthrow the Accord and feast on human and magic flesh. As if - you're flesh would taste disgusting.

KittyEmpress posted:

What's the best thing about non-draconic society? What's the worst thing?

The best thing might be how much everything is different, I have so many opportunities to learn things no other Dragon knows. And so many experiences to have for the first time. We don't exactly... cook... our meals, we do some food with magic, but it's not the same as the vast, uncountable variety of foods you have. I thought I would find it all inedible, but each dish has its own unique flavor completely unlike anything I've had before, and all taste wonderful. If I could bring any one thing back to my people from the Accord, it would be your food. And though I would never disgrace myself by hiding my magnificent form -any more than I have to for so called decency- fashion has become a bit of a passion of mine, seeing the different ways you dress yourselves up to become more appealing, it's like having jewels you can wear!

On the other claw, your people have no respect, I am a Dragon, I am Royalty, I am a Defender of the People (in training), and while any of these three things should mean people stand aside to let me through, offer me everything I want free and assist me in any way possible, instead I'm forced to stand in lines, see depictions of dragons as mindless monsters in stories and art, watch the veneration of someone who killed one of my kind, and suffer as people disparage me both openly and behind my back for being better than them! Worse, I have to pay money from my HORDE for things! This is outrageous, disgusting, nothing - nothing compares to this offense, how could anyone think it acceptable to force me to diminish my horde for things that won't even last?! It-it isn't right. It hurts my soul.

KittyEmpress posted:

What race do you find the least disgusting?

Now, that isn't quite right, most races - the slimier ones excepted - aren't disgusting, they're just... rather sad. Do ants disgust you? Perhaps the thought of turning into ant, with all that it entails would, and reasonably so, for that is how it feels to us, but you are who you were made to be, however unfortunate that fate is. And we were who we were made to be, so much greater than you. Putting ourselves on your level requires accepting so much weakness into ourselves intentionally that any disgust is more for that act, rather than your species. But, as I said, the swamp dwelling races and those made of slime and muck are very gross. At least I only had to take the form of a fleshly, soft human. But to answer your question in a different direction, the species I like the most are your Faerie, since their powerful magic and inherently binding words remind me the most of my species of any here. The ones I have met seem to have changed the least from what we knew of them before the Accord, and from those who stayed in our lands rather than join in. Talking to them is almost like being home. Almost.

KittyEmpress posted:

Do you even want to be here, forced to defend people so lesser to you?

Yessss.... Despite all the problems your world has, I'm ....eager... to see more of it, to learn more, and the only way that's apparently going to be allowed is by helping your weaker people. But I knew I would be among those weaker than me from before I set out, and someone needs to do this job. If I return, no matter what my message, I will return as the wisest of all dragons. Besides, it does feel... a little... nice... to help people. It took me a bit to figure out why, as altruism does not come naturally to my kind. But, I've figured it out. They cannot do it, but I can, so my acts cost me very little, while showing them how great I am, letting them witness my glory, and what is the point of glory if others don't see it? The mightiest horde is only worthwhile when others can see how mighty it is, and how you have surpassed them. What I may be the first dragon to discover this, but I have discovered it, using my strength to help these people is the ultimate expression of my greatness. That is why saving these lesser people feels good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The picks are in, and those who will embark on a spooky journey chosen.

Delphinium, The Witch Knight - Protege, Portrayed by Tricky!
Jonah(s) Redfield, Sanguine Warlock - Nova, Portrayed by Green Bean!
Viktor Von Sangdrach III, Hemo-Phobia - Delinquent, Portrayed by Nil
Thalia, Gravesaint - Legacy, Portrayed by Antivehicular!
Mthalia, Outer-Mind - Outsider, Portrayed by Capfalcon!

Those of you who didn't have hero names before may note that you have really, really bad hero names now. Unfortunately for you, all students of the Librarium are required to have an official title, and if not chosen before registry, are given titles by the staff. Most of them are really bad. The good news is, you can still change your name, if you want to.

Oh and Also, Here is the Discord. We will do bonds, figure out the leader, etc, in there.

For those who didn't get in, I'm sorry! It was very hard to make decisions.

• Locked thread