Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I found a secret:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Moatman posted:

Like I said, whenever something gets delayed the release is always on Thursday.

Steve is a profoundly genius coder. He should never be near anything related to design, though.

He doesn't. DE has a lack in gameplay design talent. Steve mostly thought up cool ideas but no one could advise him whether it would be good gameplay or not. He doesn't even deal with balancing or new frame or weapon designs. His main strength is graphics and optimization, as can be seen by how anal he is about light source anytime during devstream's showing of captura.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I can't keep carrier alive on plains because of all the airstrikes and now I'm out of ammo and mad about it.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Sentinels once again proving their inferiority to batdogs/fishcats/screeching-tentacle-lumps.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Easiest way I've found to fish is to use Ivara's dashwires to get a good angle.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
OH poo poo WHAT UP

Time to play the best worst game again!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
The skybox is high.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBkW7F1Bzfw

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 13, 2017

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I like how I was waiting for there to be a huuuuge number of posts, heralding the arrival of the long awaited patch, and there's been like 5 posts in the last 5 hours. Way to go goons! *shakes fist*

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

nightwisher posted:

I like how I was waiting for there to be a huuuuge number of posts, heralding the arrival of the long awaited patch, and there's been like 5 posts in the last 5 hours. Way to go goons! *shakes fist*
We're all busy playing!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how is this update so good

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Tip for anyone who is mining: the icons are a reward counter, the bar is your 'progress on this ore' meter. From what I can tell, progress goes up at a constant rate, and faster as you drag your laser around. Reward counter increases as you mine along the white line, but counts down if you let go at all and doesn't count up unless you are on target. So as far as I can tell, in order to get more rewards, you need to be both accurate and quick. Highest I got in one go was 8 gems, but I can't score consistently very well.

Also note that you can use powers and melee with a mining laser out (but not a fishing spear) and while it is equipped, once you hear the beeping 'ore is close' tone, the right side of your screen has a distance-to-ore readout.

Also, for anyone ranking up to outsider (the first rank you need standing for) with the town, the free rewards that cost the most rep are the alloy blueprint and the gem blueprint at 5k each, the fishing spear is only 2k. Not sure about all the custom melee components.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 13, 2017

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jeeze there's a ton of weapons for this update. Don't forget about the dual swords at the chem labs!

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
There is just something very cathartic about running up to a group of vulture like birds and then atomos'ing them all in a split second to vacuum up their loot.

Came up behind a group of 8 grineer and did the same that never saw me while me and my helios scanned them. Similarly satisfying.

If you want to stay out during the night but are having troubles with the little mini guys that turn ethereal when you kill them, grineer camps have drones that will suck them up. 'disable' (shoot it) the drone then go up to it and interact to hack it.

Why do I have over 2000 hours in this terrible game?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Broose posted:

If you want to stay out during the night but are having troubles with the little mini guys that turn ethereal when you kill them, grineer camps have drones that will suck them up. 'disable' (shoot it) the drone then go up to it and interact to hack it.
You should be popping them with your teen-beam for resources.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
A word of warning to newbies like me who haven't done The War Within yet: the quest is currently broken. You can get stuck at various points where you have to use a certain skill (especially if you haven't picked a focus tree yet, as mentioned in this reddit thread), and since you can't quit the quest, you won't be able to play at all until it's fixed. I managed to get stuck at the very end of the quest and now all I can do ingame is use the clan chat and look at messages and profiles.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kxZyle posted:

A word of warning to newbies like me who haven't done The War Within yet: the quest is currently broken. You can get stuck at various points where you have to use a certain skill (especially if you haven't picked a focus tree yet, as mentioned in this reddit thread), and since you can't quit the quest, you won't be able to play at all until it's fixed. I managed to get stuck at the very end of the quest and now all I can do ingame is use the clan chat and look at messages and profiles.

When do I get that quest? On pluto?

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

The dojo channel on the the clan discord is only for talking about fishing and fish you have caught now.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

Sininu posted:

When do I get that quest? On pluto?

Yeah, at the Sedna junction. Avoid it for now.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

kxZyle posted:

Ahh, I'm not even close to it yet.. Only have done 3 Neptune missions so far.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

kxZyle posted:

That Reddit post says it only happens if you haven't chosen a focus school, which I did at the end of the second dream quest. Has the new system changed that?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

clone on the phone posted:

That Reddit post says it only happens if you haven't chosen a focus school, which I did at the end of the second dream quest. Has the new system changed that?
Did you pick that school today? Because Plains landing reset that poo poo and now you just have a bunch of focus XPto spend and need to unlock your focus school(s) all over again.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

clone on the phone posted:

I still got stuck even though I re-unlocked my focus school.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

How do I kill the stupid flying ships in the plains, I love shotguns but my bullets cant reach them :argh:

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

I'm already getting really tired of sprinting for 600m between content and caves are way less cool then they should be in a video game.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

kxZyle posted:

I still got stuck even though I re-unlocked my focus school.

Ah bummer, I'm out of town for a few weeks and can't try Plains until I'm back.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

I'm already getting really tired of sprinting for 600m between content and caves are way less cool then they should be in a video game.

Anyone who wants to get around in Eidolon really fast should pick Zephyr, bullet jump upwards, use 1 at the peak of the jump, then smash 5 to infinitely slingshot yourself anywhere in the entire zone at mach speed with zero resource cost. You can even steer a bit with WASD.

The cheap version of this is to climb a big hill and jump forward while spamming 5 and holding W, you can't maintain height like Zephyr but you will go fast.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Xun posted:

How do I kill the stupid flying ships in the plains, I love shotguns but my bullets cant reach them :argh:

Shoot harder/get better mods. I can kill the lower level ones with my Vaykor Hek in less than a full clip.

VocalizePlayerDeath posted:

Yeah the caves seem to have nothing at all inside them? One had a locked door, some had boxes..

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The lower-level ones are easy, but they can get rather tough at high levels.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
caves have lots of mining points

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

when is this update hitting PS4, my computer isn't built for ninja flips

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Augus posted:

when is this update hitting PS4, my computer isn't built for ninja flips

They said they were shooting for sometime in November for consoles, no firm date yet though

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Plains seems like a cool place, but I'm just not at the point of the game where I want to start a new grind. With less than 2m focus in total (1.4m Naramon, 300k Zenurik), needing to unlock Quill stuff isn't necessary. I still have lots of frames to level/farm, weapons to forma, and original resources to stock up on that the plains have a very diminished effect on me. Seems like Madurai is really useful for operator stuff too, and I'm very bad at that aspect of the game (I think I died almost 40 times on the final Harrow quest).

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.

Abyss posted:

Plains seems like a cool place, but I'm just not at the point of the game where I want to start a new grind. With less than 2m focus in total (1.4m Naramon, 300k Zenurik), needing to unlock Quill stuff isn't necessary. I still have lots of frames to level/farm, weapons to forma, and original resources to stock up on that the plains have a very diminished effect on me. Seems like Madurai is really useful for operator stuff too, and I'm very bad at that aspect of the game (I think I died almost 40 times on the final Harrow quest).

To be fair, that final Harrow bit is really, really bad. Like they make you die in one hit, but you respawn as much as you need. So why not just give me more health so it's not a tedious waste of time?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Sarcastastic posted:

To be fair, that final Harrow bit is really, really bad. Like they make you die in one hit, but you respawn as much as you need. So why not just give me more health so it's not a tedious waste of time?

Some players (or at least the devs think this group is out there) enjoy the tedious and unexplained stuff like that as 'puzzle.'

On the topic of plains, I wonder how much enjoyment of it comes from newness and being bored with old content. Like players that had done everything love it for being refreshing, newer players are unimpressed or aggravated by another layer of unexplained content and not completely thought out mechanics.
Then again I've never understood the boner for 'open world' gameplay. Breath of the Wild did it well by feeling handcrafted and all the weird stuff you could find being rewarding and interactive. This feels like your typical copy and pasted props/set pieces meant to look cool but with no incentive to explore and extra padding with travel time added between the fun gameplay.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I imagine after a while it'll just become one more part of the game you'll dip into when you want to go get something specific or just feel like going. Sorties, alerts, void missions, storyline and frame drops etc all still happen on the big star-map so it isn't like the entire game has been warped around it. Worst-case scenario it becomes another Archwing; interacting almost not at all with the rest of the 'actual' gameplay.

Like yeah it isn't perfect but absolutely nothing in this game is, and I just don't trust nerds to make judgements about a thing's longevity less than a day or two after it's been released.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i heavily enjoy being able to fart around in an open area as an absolute contrast to the corridors so i don't particularly see this magically getting old for me given how much weird poo poo it involves and entails. for other people i'm sure this might wildly vary

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The mining laser tool colors itself based on your Warframe's palette, thank god. And speaking of Fashionframe, the Wraith and Vandal customization looks great! Finally, I can use these weapons without fear of them clashing with my whole aesthetic :neckbeard:

Oh and uh the Plains and Cetus and all that are really very good and I'm super jazzed about this update in general :)

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Man, I havn't played this game in ages. I'm so lost with all the mods and stuff. :ohdear:

I'll have to give this plains thing a try though. Sounds neat.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

FYI. The Focus Passive do not all transfer between schools, only the ones that say "Way Bound" do. And those are pretty much all Operator based stuff from what I can see.

So pick your primary focus based around what ability modifying stuff you want and stick with that.

Also the passive energy bonus from Zenurik (energy over time) does not work while channeling so I literally can't see a use for Zenurik st all anymore outside the energy dash bubble. But I haven't unlocked it to see if it'll store energy while channeling so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastastic
Mar 9, 2013

It's a kind of magic.
I'm liking the way Plains plays thus far just because it promotes a whole different set of loadouts. My plasmor is still amazing, but I need something else to cover distance, whereas with corridors, I never really cared. Or now Zephyr's massive flight abilities have some purpose other than on a few tiles. I agree though that a lot of the space on the map is just kinda "we need it to be big" type stuff.