Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Just thought I'd post some advice. It takes some level of commitment to be able to write that code you posted so I figured if you're serious enough about coding to learn to write that whole thing you were serious enough to be able to use the advice.

Edit:

quote:

guessed it in one i failed 102 and declined to continue my employable cs education

Okay, then my advice was useless to you, carry on.

Griefor fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
after four years of this in the game dev thread they've realized it's easier just to say "ok cool" and watch my poo poo pyramid slowly evolve into something built on a pyramid of poo poo rather than protesting "but fundamentals"

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Turd Herder posted:

Looking at getting a tycoon game. Was thinking either Airport CEO or Prodcution Line ? Anyone have preference on either?

Yeah: Neither. SimAirport is much better than Airport CEO and Production Line is wholly challengeless. Big Pharma is similar and better.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Black Griffon posted:

Way back I heard Homefront: The Revolution wasn't actually that bad. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I keep meaning to buy it solely because it has a playable Timesplitters level as an Easter egg

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I've got that loving Doki Doki song looping nonstop in my head.

Thanks a lot assholes.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

FastestGunAlive posted:

I keep meaning to buy it solely because it has a playable Timesplitters level as an Easter egg

I picked it up because it's super cheap and what Wamdoodle and Grapplejack said was good enough. I'll try to report back before the deal is over.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Black Griffon posted:

I picked it up because it's super cheap and what Wamdoodle and Grapplejack said was good enough. I'll try to report back before the deal is over.

Cheers. I'm going to buy it regardless come Christmas sale because Timesplitters. Right now there's plenty of good stuff just out or on the horizon. Looking forward to your thoughts on it

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Jackboxing tonight again because why not.

Stream up!

https://mixer.com/iRend

https://discord.gg/tU5VkJm

Starting with Earwax, and if we get 8, a special Australian Quiplash.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries

Digirat posted:

In spite of the game's small population I'm still having no problems finding frontier defense games so I'm gonna remind everyone with any interest to try titanfall 2 because the campaign is fantastic, frontier defense is a great co-op mode, and it's on origin access so you can get it for really cheap. Can't commend on the competitive MP since I haven't tried it but I can recommend it for everything else.

I can recommend it for the competitive MP, it is really fun.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Tax Inductions posted:

I can recommend it for the competitive MP, it is really fun.

It really is. Fast, original and extremely satisfying.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM

13. F.E.A.R.

While it’s possible to make a quality game out of derivative elements, the challenge is improving on them in a way that keeps them from being a pure rehash. Most games that attempt to follow trends can’t manage to do it, while a scant few forge ahead in new and exciting ways. F.E.A.R. did this by combining the hot new bullet-time mechanic from classic noir shooter Max Payne with the hot new horror sensation of small disheveled children from The Ring. That might sound dumb as hell, but you won’t be worrying about that when you’re slide-kicking enemies through plate glass and shotgunning their limbs through skylights.

You play… actually they never refer to him by any sort of name or identifier in this game, come to think of it. He’s the strong, silent type who loves long walks in darkened offices and bullets that hit their marks. Mister Protagonist has been employed by the First Encounter Assault Recon team, a paranormal special forces team with a name that’s like if SWAT was named KILL. His first assignment is to chase down corpse-eating psychopath Paxton Fettel, an experimental soldier with psychic control over clone troops who’s decided recently to switch to an all-human diet. Your job is to find him and shoot him, and shoot all of his dudes, and maybe figure out why you need to shoot so many dudes all of a sudden.

This is complicated by the spooky little girl flitting about like an ADHD extra from The Ring. F.E.A.R. attempts to be a horror action shooter in an unusual way, by breaking up the intense gun battles with the aforementioned long walks down dark hallways, scootching through tight tunnels, and watching ghost people walk past windows. The overall atmosphere of the game is effective to this end, with your adventure taking you through abandoned offices, shadowy warehouses, and other mundane locales made sinister merely through moody lighting and an acute sense of isolation. However, punctuating the game with conspicuous NOW IS SCARYTIME segments drains a lot of tension from them. I won’t deny a few are quite effective (beware the air vents) but many rely on cheap jumpscares or atmosphere broken by the obvious telegraphing.

I’m front-loading my annoyance at the horror structure because I’m going to spend the rest of the review talking about the gunplay, and why it’s still some of the best the genre has ever produced. F.E.A.R. is first and foremost a first-person shooter, as is apparent from the moment you start trading shots with the paramilitary mooks in your path. Whenever the game isn’t trying to spook you, it’s throwing squads of trained soldiers at you to tear apart with akimbo pistols, shotguns, railguns, grenades, or a good old-fashioned slide kick.

F.E.A.R. comes to us from a strange in-between place before iron sights but after dynamic accuracy, during the height of bullet-time fever and right before regenerating health really took off. Your shootman is more accurate when standing still and can toggle “aim” that just zooms in a little, but this isn’t terribly important in light of his little slow-mo trick. You can trigger bullet-time using a bar of super-slow regenerating adrenaline to slow the game to a crawl, goofy low voices and Matrix effects and all. This is the key to taking on squads of swift, intelligent replica soldiers because they simply can’t react fast enough to you rounding a corner with a shotgun and disassembling them all in a moment.

I can’t overstate how incredible F.E.A.R.’s application of bullet-time is, thanks to a combination of vicious weapons and dynamic movement. Your melee attack turns into a jump kick in midair and a slide kick when crouching, with all impacts being instantly fatal. Pairing that with bullet-time, you can club one soldier to death, spin-kick his buddy next to him through a window, and slide kick the third guy across the room before he can get his safety off. Add to that grenades that gib on contact, a railgun that will ragdoll enemies through level geometry, and the greatest shotgun in video game history, and it is entirely possible to kill a roomful of troops and watch them all hit the floor in unison when your bullet-time wears off.

Twelve years out from release, this is still one of the best games around to load up and spar with enemies just for the hell of it. You won’t encounter more than a half-dozen types of military dudes but they come equipped with some of the best artificial intelligence ever gifted to game foes. I’m not making this up, entire articles have been written about the complex algorithms used to make these guys flank, fall back, fake you out, and fortify their positions. They make for significant challenges at higher difficulty levels, and delightful cannon fodder at the lower ones. And they even add to the horror factor on their own, especially when you run afoul of the more stealthy ones.

I’m not going to pretend the graphics are still amazing. They were at the time, of course, but they’re the kind of clean shapes and surfaces that lose a lot of impact in light of modern design. The particle effects and bullet impacts and chaos physics still do plenty of work, and the sound design will remind you constantly that your opponents are trained supersoldiers, that your weapons strike with the fury of the apocalypse, and that when combined they fill rooms with juicy viscera. Even the horror bits come into their own by the finale, and despite my earlier protests I think the game would be lessened without their inclusion. F.E.A.R. works best in that duality, in trying to make you fear and in putting the fear of God into your foes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man, FEAR was such a good game :allears:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

But it's kind of lovely that the last deal discounted 2 and 3 but not 1.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

explosivo posted:

Hell yeah

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
For most people it's HL2 but F.E.A.R. is still my favorite, the one I compare all modern fps games to. It's one of the few games I still play through regularly.

There were lots of good shooters since that but FEAR still has the best guns imo, no other game makes you feel so goddamn powerful. Wolfenstein 2014 came pretty close but it was dragged down by it's story. Not the quality, but the quantity of it. I just wanted to shoot some nazis, not listen to PTSD monologues and talk to characters I don't give a rats rear end about.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Double Bill posted:

Unless steamspy glitched out, PUBG has sold 2 million copies in the last 4 days. 16 million total now and still rising

PUBG recently became the first game to break 2m concurrent users, and I'm willing to bet that's on large part thanks to the game's huge success in China.

It's becoming a double-edged sword, though. The Chinese players have to play on Western servers causing ping issues and instead of opening new servers in China, they're instead just advertising ”Here's a VPN you can pay for to play on Western servers!" right on the main menu.

http://www.pcgamer.com/pubg-hit-with-stream-of-negative-reviews-following-chinese-in-game-ads/

Article posted:

Despite being fully-localised, Chinese players complain of lag-affected local servers and are often forced to join European or North American games. Conversely, native players in these forums report migrant players bring their own lag and can be at times unplayable.

Chinese players have now reported in-game advertising for an 'accelerator' VPN service said to boost connections to international servers. The problem for these players is twofold: they feel that in-game advertising for a game that isn't free-to-play is a problem in itself; and that Bluehole could do more to support their servers as opposed to promoting the advertisement of tools used to better access foreign ones.   

E: for clarity and article

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 13, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that was weird. I wonder if it's some kind of licensing issue with the first one, or if WB is somehow aware that the first one is the best.

Hey, BundleStars finally got off their asses with some horror packs. This one will get you The Last Door seasons 1 and 2 along with Dead Effect 2, a few things that look neat like Bulb Boy and Nevermind, and some other junk. On the other hand, this one is pretty much all crap as far as I know except for Belladonna and Nihilumbra (which isn't horror at all) so I'd skip it entirely.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Too Shy Guy posted:

Yeah that was weird. I wonder if it's some kind of licensing issue with the first one, or if WB is somehow aware that the first one is the best.

Probably the latter, it's been discounted heavily before according to ITAD.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yodzilla you're in the Steam thread, not the Terrible Games thread.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Please don't besmirch Coming Out On Top.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yodzilla you're in the Steam thread, not the Terrible Games thread.

He's only not in the right place if it isn't on Steam.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Yodzilla posted:

Please don't besmirch Coming Out On Top.

that is a misnomer, it is clearly coming out he bottom

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Save:ins:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

help.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Black Griffon posted:

Bundlestars sells the whole trilogy for like 5 euros all the goddamn time.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I pre-ordered Southpark: the Fractured But Whole (UPlay only) on Greenman Gaming, and it's available for pre-load now.
If any of you pre-ordered on Steam, it may be available.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

these dating sims get weirder and weirder every day

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Krieger noooo

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Krieger noooo
Young Krieger.

I'd watch it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

explosivo posted:

The protagonist was called Point Man, iirc. After the well known military tactic of sending a single soldier in to kill everyone then yelling at him when he didnt do it fast enough.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Croccers posted:

Young Krieger.

I'd watch it.

Nah, he doesn't have the stache to be a younger Krieger.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Gamasutra posted:

Media giant IGN announced today that it has acquired Humble Bundle, the company best known for selling packs of indie games at pay-what-you-want prices. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

This is potentially a big deal for game developers, since Humble has expanded beyond its bundling business to publish games, pay devs to make games for its subscription-based monthly game club, maintain a subscription-based online game trove, and operate an online game storefront.

However, a press release confirming the deal also noted that Humble will continue to operate independently in the wake of the acquisition, with no significant business or staffing changes. It will have some degree of support from IGN (which is itself owned by digital media giant J2 Global), specifically in terms of accelerating growth and raising more money for charity.

Humble grew out of a bundle of indie games sold to raise money for charity in 2010, and in the seven years since it has raised over $100 million for charity. In a conversation today with Gamasutra, Humble cofounder John Graham and IGN executive VP Mitch Galbraith reiterated that IGN does not intend to change the way Humble does business.

"If it's not broken, don't fix it," said Galbraith, who explained that IGN started looking to make a deal like this nearly a year ago. "The idea is just to feed them with the resources they need to keep doing what they're doing."

"We want to stick to the fundamentals in the short term. We don't want to disrupt anything we're doing right already," added Graham. "Because of the shared vision and overlap of our customer bases, there’s going to be a lot of opportunities."

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:geno:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Was F.E.A.R. the only FPS that ever introduced bullet time in multiplayer? It had a mode that was fun as hell where a Bullet Time device would spawn randomly in the map and the team that captured it would get a few seconds of bullet time while the other team watched their game move at 1/10 speed.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

Was F.E.A.R. the only FPS that ever introduced bullet time in multiplayer? It had a mode that was fun as hell where a Bullet Time device would spawn randomly in the map and the team that captured it would get a few seconds of bullet time while the other team watched their game move at 1/10 speed.
Not an FPS, but Max Payne 3 had multiplayer bullet time, where everyone who looked at the activator or another affected player was affected, while everybody running around on the other side of the map was unaffected. It was an interesting solution.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Killing Floor 1 and 2 both have brief spurts of bullet time occasionally, but that's a co-op PvE rather than competitive multiplayer game so probably not an example you're looking for

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
RIP Humble Bundle

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Timeshift also did multiplayer time-manipulation (including bullet time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

bonds0097 posted:

RIP Humble Bundle

Hey, there's still all those other bundle companies that put like two dozen anime games, an iPad game port, and Lucius together for your purchasing pleasure every week