Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

which honestly just raises the question after he said that, why they don't just get an extra computer?
Because Biological is More Powerful (see: Species 8472, Voyager's computer system, the mushroom drive itself).

Tom Guycot posted:

I can't see citizens of the federation being cool that their mom died because starfleet refused to nipple clamp a cockroach on ethical grounds.
Well the TNG crew once refused to stop the Borg threat, costing countless human lives, simply because Hugh, whose self identity had developed a cool 5 minutes ago, said he doesn't want to, and Data was once willing to let Picard die because a flying screwdriver didn't feel like it, and Picard agreed with him.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm just saying I find their philosophy about it flawed. Clearly no one cares about and avoids the suffering of creatures universally or we couldn't live our lives in any capacity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jain_vegetarianism
Maybe not quite so "clearly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

How did Starfleet know that all hands were lost on the Glenn? I can understand if they said something like “there was an emergency distress call” or “we’ve lost contact with them”.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cingulate posted:

Because Biological is More Powerful (see: Species 8472, Voyager's computer system, the mushroom drive itself).

Which would be fine if the engineer hadn't specifically said he just needed a supercomputer to process the required data.

Cingulate posted:

Well the TNG crew once refused to stop the Borg threat, costing countless human lives, simply because Hugh, whose self identity had developed a cool 5 minutes ago, said he doesn't want to, and Data was once willing to let Picard die because a flying screwdriver didn't feel like it, and Picard agreed with him.

The key point in every single case was sentience. They stopped screwing with the power tools because they were becoming sentient, the nanites in the computer bank became sentient, they stop drilling into that terraforming planet because they find out it's sentient.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Guycot posted:

Which would be fine if the engineer hadn't specifically said he just needed a supercomputer to process the required data.
Well yeah - maybe in the long run, they'll find a supercomputer, or they will realise no computer can do what the bear can. But right there, the point was biology bested technology.

Tom Guycot posted:

The key point in every single case was sentience. They stopped screwing with the power tools because they were becoming sentient, the nanites in the computer bank became sentient, they stop drilling into that terraforming planet because they find out it's sentient.
The key point is the needs of the one outweighing he needs of the many.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Charles Get-Out posted:

It's not any more dumb than all the other psychics and "empaths" in the franchise. (They can be kinda dumb)

I always hated this and was glad that DS9 mostly got rid of telepathic nonsense, as far as I remember.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Shibawanko posted:

I always hated this and was glad that DS9 mostly got rid of telepathic nonsense, as far as I remember.

But they did have that sweet DBZ kamehameha duel between Jake and Kira that one time

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Did you take that completely literally? It's pretty well understood that the biological brain is more complex and powerful than any computer we could possibly build for a long while, though computers are better are some things than brains. In this case, the water bear was better at processing the information the fungus had than their computers. In other words, when it came to interpreting the fungus, it was a super computer.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Shibawanko posted:

They had the wormhole aliens, who seemed somewhat telepathic, and their magic orbs.

Tom Guycot posted:

He assumed the other ship was using some sort of supercomputer. They were not. The tardigrade apparently evolved in tandem with the subspace fungal web, making it uniquely suited to the job.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 13, 2017

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kibayasu posted:

Did you take that completely literally? It's pretty well understood that the biological brain is more complex and powerful than any computer we could possibly build for a long while, though computers are better are some things than brains. In this case, the water bear was better at processing the information the fungus had than their computers. In other words, when it came to interpreting the fungus, it was a super computer.

Yeah, I also took his comment in the context of "We need something more powerful than whatever it is that we have access to." "Supercomputer" as a term generally means a computer that is far and away more powerful than those accessible at the time. It's 2017, and today's supercomputers fill entire rooms, while my phone is more powerful than supercomputers of the past.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't get where the water bear came from originally. Did they catch that thing with a dart gun on a planet or did it just appear one day while they were playing around with the mold?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I didn't get where the water bear came from originally. Did they catch that thing with a dart gun on a planet or did it just appear one day while they were playing around with the mold?

It stowed away when they were harvesting spores.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm going to bet it either mushroom-warped itself right into the ship or they came across it in the expanse of space tripping out on shrooms.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lord Krangdar posted:

They had the wormhole aliens, who seemed somewhat telepathic, and their magic orbs.

A stupid movie like Interstellar got away with basically the same concept and gets described as "hard sci fi". I didn't like the prophets but I liked some of the silliness around them, and Kai Wynn.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

A stupid movie like Interstellar got away with basically the same concept and gets described as "hard sci fi". I didn't like the prophets but I liked some of the silliness around them, and Kai Wynn.

The idea of "hard sci-fi" is always somewhat arbitrary. But my point was every Trek series has included both magic and silly science.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's really really common for sci-fi stories to include magic. Part of it is that in the heyday of sci-fi parapsychology and things like that were considered legitimate areas of scientific inquiry. The other part is that it's just harder to make an interesting sci-fi story based only on realistic technology.

Even interstellar travel is really unrealistic without a handwavium drive, and that's the basis of the entire space exploration genre.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Clarke's second and third laws, goons.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The logs from the Glenn say it showed up in their cargo hold. It most likely teleported in there to get the mushrooms that were being stored, as the Glenn didn't have a mushroom forest.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Who's ready for a tie-in novel set 10 years before the prequel that's set 10 years before the original series?

http://www.startrek.com/article/second-discovery-novel-is-drastic-measures

quote:

It is 2246, ten years prior to the “Battle at the Binary Stars,” and an aggressive contagion is ravaging the food supplies of the remote Federation colony Tarsus IV and the eight thousand people who call it home. Distress signals have been sent, but any meaningful assistance is weeks away. Lieutenant Commander Gabriel Lorca and a small team assigned to a Starfleet monitoring outpost are caught up in the escalating crisis, and bear witness as the colony’s governor, Adrian Kodos, employs an unimaginable solution in order to prevent mass starvation.

While awaiting transfer to her next assignment, Commander Philippa Georgiou is tasked with leading to Tarsus IV a small, hastily assembled group of first responders. It’s hoped this advance party can help stabilize the situation until more aid arrives, but Georgiou and her team discover that they‘re too late—Governor Kodos has already implemented his heinous strategy for extending the colony’s besieged food stores and safeguarding the community’s long-term survival.

In the midst of their rescue mission, Georgiou and Lorca must now hunt for the architect of this horrific tragedy and the man whom history will one day brand “Kodos the Executioner”….

How much you want to bet Georgiou and Lorca run into some kid prodigy named "Jimmy" and inspire him to join Starfleet?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Oh god of course everyone is connected to each other, but then that's par for the course for licensed fanfiction.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hi, my name is Jacques Picard, because of your space heroism, I will make sure that my great great grandson becomes a space man too. *winks at camera*

Special Guest: Daniel Stewart

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Now that the war's over my fortune cookie shop in New Orleans isn't doing so hot. I'm thinking I'll let my daughter's future husband inherit it so he can change up the menu. Have you met him yet? His name's Jacob Sisko. *Superimposed image of The Sisko appears floating in the background, contently nodding*

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So the solution is eating people, right? That's the solution.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Doggles posted:

Who's ready for a tie-in novel set 10 years before the prequel that's set 10 years before the original series?

How much you want to bet Georgiou and Lorca run into some kid prodigy named "Jimmy" and inspire him to join Starfleet?

Oh God drat it, they're messing with "Conscience of the King"? That was one of my favorite TOS episodes!

Let me guess, they will also make that thing about Hoshi having been amongst those executed by Kodos canon as well?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

It occurred to me that if this Alice in Wonderland analogy holds up, and the rumour about the mirror universe episode is true, we're probably going to see some heavy chess-board imagery in that.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AceOfFlames posted:

Oh God drat it, they're messing with "Conscience of the King"? That was one of my favorite TOS episodes!

Let me guess, they will also make that thing about Hoshi having been amongst those executed by Kodos canon as well?

It's a book, not an episode. It's just licensed fanfiction.

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained
Just now watching the 4th Episode.

Michael and the angry security officer are talking about the giant water bear.

Something something "Rage Glands."

This Is A Bad Show.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Doggles posted:

Now that the war's over my fortune cookie shop in New Orleans isn't doing so hot. I'm thinking I'll let my daughter's future husband inherit it so he can change up the menu. Have you met him yet? His name's Jacob Sisko. *Superimposed image of The Sisko appears floating in the background, contently nodding*

Impossible, nothing Star Trek ever acknowledges anything on DS9.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Doggles posted:

Jesus. I know Dayton in real life and I'm skipping this masterbatiory bullshit.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Peachfart posted:

Like it’s DS9s fault for existing in a league by itself

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Comrade Fakename posted:

It occurred to me that if this Alice in Wonderland analogy holds up, and the rumour about the mirror universe episode is true, we're probably going to see some heavy chess-board imagery in that.

I'm seeing this more and more coming about. Episode 4 had the 'white rabbit', being sent off to the matriarchs. The matriarchs who... maybe have a thing for chopping off heads? I also like the idea of Mudd being the mad hatter, you've got the smoking caterpillar, and maybe lorca is the cheshire cat? A mirror universe episode sure could fit into that theme.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

Did you take that completely literally? It's pretty well understood that the biological brain is more complex and powerful than any computer we could possibly build for a long while
We can easily build machines more complex than microorganism brains. You can near-perfectly simulate ants on your cellphone. The human brain, well, that's still a bit out - at Moore's Law's speed, might be a few decades till we can simulate human brains in real-time still. But on the other hand, we all know quite well computers are really good at memorising maps, much better than people, and they're catching up with the navigation, too.

Also, the term "computer" originally comes from the women running manual calculations during WW2, for artillery and cryptography etc. I.e., etymologically, :science:a computer is a person who computes:science:

Still, the main point is, Star Trek is always set approximately 5-10 years in the future, and right now, biotech and artificial neural networks are huge, so in 10 years we will obviously be running on biotech in our computers instead of on clunky silicone.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm gonna have to bring in my CPU for flu shots now? :/

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Also, the term "computer" originally comes from the women running manual calculations during WW2, for artillery and cryptography etc. I.e., etymologically, :science:a computer is a person who computes:science:

The term actually dates back much further than that, to the 1600s at least.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I'm gonna have to bring in my CPU for flu shots now? :/
Well, computers are well known for catching viruses.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Peachfart posted:

Section 31?

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Cingulate posted:

Still, the main point is, Star Trek is always set approximately 5-10 years in the future, and right now, biotech and artificial neural networks are huge, so in 10 years we will obviously be running on biotech in our computers instead of on clunky silicone.

What?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

He means the technology. The technology on Star Trek is always something people think is coming out in the next few years.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for my warp drive and murder/cloning booth within the decade

r.y.f.s.o.
Mar 1, 2003
classically trained

Cojawfee posted:

He means the technology. The technology on Star Trek is always something people think is coming out in the next few years.

Always? Few?

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Always? Few?

What?

Wait, are you saying you don't beam to work, you filthy pleb?