Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Here is noted published author Divabot trying to set up a coinbase account, something thousands of fedora redditors can manage just fine

Completely covered by financial regulators: check
Writes a self published book assuring people its a scam when he doesnt even have an account: check
It takes him MONTHS to open an account because he can't follow the instructions: check

This is the financial guru you guys are listening to ahahahahahahahahaha
ROFL i should make another account named Lolling at YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I think this is a unique moment to find people on the wrong side of history before it becomes fully obvious
buy some tulips sir?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Uranium 235 posted:

it's not nearly as unregulated as you make it out to be

The gbs hivemind has not learned and will not learn anything new about Bitcoin since ~2008

It's all still just libertarian captains of industry scamming each other on Reddit, and will always be, inshallah

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Ham Sandwitch posted:

ROFL i should make another account named Lolling at YOSPOS

Given that you posted there within like 3-4 posts and dropped the "stop trolling me" sarcasm right away I think we can probably guess where you might be from

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

COMRADES posted:

I mean that does sound pretty lol on his part don't get me wrong.

But even taking that post at face value I kind of shrug because yeah every new company has its issues. PayPal was once the devil incarnate to hear people talk about it but now it is everywhere anyway.

Yep that's what's pretty cool, realizing that the scam argument doesn't even hold up since it's covered by his local financial regulators, all the work they're putting him through to register an account, the fact that the dude can't follow or read instructions, and his conclusion "Ah coinbase is a joke and I can't wait to write about how they loving suck."

Read that guy's books at your own peril, he just might be a blowhard that doesn't actually know what he's talking about, maybe research the author background and ask yourself "do I really, really want to take financial advice from this reddit mod"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uranium 235 posted:

it's true that it doesn't have the same regulations that prevent market manipulation, at least not yet. it does keep customer funds segregated in bank accounts in the customer's name and those funds are FDIC insured, but that's only for USD balances, not cryptocurrency (obviously an important caveat, but one that can be mitigated by transferring crypto to privately held offline accounts)

coinbase is licensed under the NYSDFS's bitlicense which requires quarterly reports and financial disclosures, and surety bonds for customer funds. also, like i said, i have <5% of my investment funds in crypto, the rest is in vanguard index funds

it's not nearly as unregulated as you make it out to be

ahh i forgot about the bitlicense

better than nothing; quarterly reporting is obviously not good because that leaves plenty of time for "oops where did all the money go" but you are right, that one particular exchange may be somewhat regulated

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yep that's what's pretty cool, realizing that the scam argument doesn't even hold up since it's covered by his local financial regulators, all the work they're putting him through to register an account, the fact that the dude can't follow or read instructions, and his conclusion "Ah coinbase is a joke and I can't wait to write about how they loving suck."

Read that guy's books at your own peril, he just might be a blowhard that doesn't actually know what he's talking about, maybe research the author background and ask yourself "do I really, really want to take financial advice from this reddit mod"

so your view is that nobody should trust the book which lays out and cites its arguments and which, if it was wrong, you would be able to explain why it was wrong

they should trust you, an idiot who can't respond to:

evilweasel posted:

ham sandwich please explain the technical aspects of existing bitcoin and/or existing actual cryptocurrencies (no theoretical currencies or bitcoin features that are "on the wiki") that provide the technical utility that is superior to existing mechanisms, and the manner in which it is superior to those mechanisms (identifying the mechanism) so we can discuss in what specific, tangible, verifiable way cryptocurrencies have value beyond being ugly e-tulips

because you know so little about the underlying technology you don't dare say a single factual thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Here is noted published author Divabot trying to set up a coinbase account, something thousands of fedora redditors can manage just fine

Completely covered by financial regulators: check
Writes a self published book assuring people its a scam when he doesnt even have an account: check
It takes him MONTHS to open an account because he can't follow the instructions: check

This is the financial guru you guys are listening to ahahahahahahahahaha

which instruction, specifically, did he not follow. please link it on coinbase's webpage. be specific: link to the specific instruction and quote it, and then point to the part of the story where he did not comply with that instruction.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The thread was started when Bitcoins were $1200 to discuss them. I started chiming in when bitcoins were $2500. Now bitcoins have crossed $5000.

It's possible to discuss this trajectory without disclosing my position on bitcoins, the fact that goons have been predicting doom on something that appreciated 4x in the span of one year is really worthy of discussion! This isn't about me dude, it's about goons being wrong.

I'm not posting about Bitcoin to make money or because I'm bitter, I'm posting about Bitcoin because I can't believe how genuinely stupid the anti buttcoiners are, I think this is a unique moment to find people on the wrong side of history before it becomes fully obvious. it's loving amazing.

Hi Ham Sandwiches, Prester Jane here. I just wanted to chime in to say that my father was a confidence man (clinical psychopath/literally incapable of experiencing or comprehending empathy) that mostly made his living through a mixture of small-time legit business deals and the occasional huge score from scamming a sucker. Many times when I was little my Father would take me to 24 hour Diners to hang out and meet his "business" associates. (People whom he could easily recruit into a shady deal whenever the opportunity arose.) One of the other major purposes of hanging around such places was looking for fresh marks.

I mention all this to give some context on what I am going to say next. You see the post of your that I quoted above where you are pre-gloating about how the future is going to prove you right and the rest of the world wrong? People going on rants like that at 24 hour Diners is one of the way my Father identified his marks. It was something that he specifically looked for because it indicates a highly intelligent person that will do the vast bulk of convincing themselves of the scam with minimal effort on his part. If my Father had overheard you ranting like that at a Diner he would have studied you until he found an opportunity to make some sort of joke while complimenting you as a way of introducing himself. You two would then have had a marvelously funny conversation wherein he agreed/supported your every complaint about whatever and you both become fast acquaintances.

What I am saying is you have so deeply invested your identity and sense of self in your certainty that the future is going to play out a certain way that you are unwittingly broadcasting your status as an easy mark to any predator/conman who cares to listen to you. Pre-gloating like you are in that post is a great way to attract a ton of attention from the wrong sorts of new friends.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

evilweasel posted:

ahh i forgot about the bitlicense

better than nothing; quarterly reporting is obviously not good because that leaves plenty of time for "oops where did all the money go" but you are right, that one particular exchange may be somewhat regulated
coinbase and gemini are both regulated under bitlicense, i think there might be one or two others but not sure because i don't use them

bitfinex is going to end services for US residents soon because they say they don't get enough revenue to justify the expense of staying in compliance with US regulations

bittrex claims they follow CFTC and SEC regulations but i've done less research on them because i only keep a small part of my crypto portfolio there, just because they offer a lot of trading pairs that coinbase and gemini don't (probably because the latter are more strictly regulated, but not sure). anyway, that's a risk i'm willing to take with that segment of my portfolio

i think the crypto space has come a really long way since 2013/2014 when i was relentlessly making fun of bitcoin. i've seen enough changes to dip my toes in the water, at least, and so far it's paying off. if i lose that small part of my overall investment portfolio then that's fine

the people who are cashing out their 401ks to dump into bitcoin are very stupid

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Given that you posted there within like 3-4 posts and dropped the "stop trolling me" sarcasm right away I think we can probably guess where you might be from
I'm your long lost brother. I'm from your mom's vagoo, friend.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
there has never before been a time in history where something of no real value was traded at extremely high prices. ive never invested before but since the advent of bitcoin ive become something of a market guru

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The thread was started when Bitcoins were $1200 to discuss them. I started chiming in when bitcoins were $2500. Now bitcoins have crossed $5000.

It's possible to discuss this trajectory without disclosing my position on bitcoins, the fact that goons have been predicting doom on something that appreciated 4x in the span of one year is really worthy of discussion! This isn't about me dude, it's about goons being wrong.

I'm not posting about Bitcoin to make money or because I'm bitter, I'm posting about Bitcoin because I can't believe how genuinely stupid the anti buttcoiners are, I think this is a unique moment to find people on the wrong side of history before it becomes fully obvious. it's loving amazing.

Imo, you ought to buy a but coin. They look like a fantastic investment. I've heard one guy has even used his coints for a trip to Iceland. Why won't you buy one?

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

there has never before been a time in history where something of no real value was traded at extremely high prices.
What about the U.S. dollar?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

What about the U.S. dollar?

The U.S. dollar value never went higher than one U.S. dollar.

Checkmate. :smug:

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Prester Jane posted:

What I am saying is you have so deeply invested your identity and sense of self in your certainty that the future is going to play out a certain way that you are unwittingly broadcasting your status as an easy mark to any predator/conman who cares to listen to you. Pre-gloating like you are in that post is a great way to attract a ton of attention from the wrong sorts of new friends.

Yeah I'm sorry, what the gently caress? Why do people try to loving psychoanalyze me from my posts on cryptocurrencies :psyduck:

I'm sorry about your father Prester Jane, I'm a guy posting his opinion on cryptocurrencies on an internet forum that is deeply skeptical of them, I've been posting on these forums for a long time on a variety of topics

People do go to great pains not to call out what they think will happen or be wrong, I think it can be a fun exercise when dealing with highly speculative and risky things. Framing it as if I'm going to be some sort of scam victim for having an idea of what I think happens next is really really weird, maybe you can save your advice for people that ask for it or something?

Like I don't know what made you get into the Bitcoins thread and share the story of your con artist / psychopath father which is utterly irrelevant, and then decide based on my posting style that I need your good advice to change how I think and express myself? What kind of idiotic thoughts occur to you that this seems like a good idea? Please don't try to manipulate me into doing stuff differently like your con artist dad would, I'm just posting about bitcoins here.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
my portfolio you ask? ive got 1 word for you: bitcoin

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

"Please don't try to manipulate me into doing stuff differently", he said, while trying to manipulate others into doing stuff differently.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You've already written what could amount to a book in this thread. Have you bought a bits coin? If not, why should we listen to you? Also, why not?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

univbee posted:

"Please don't try to manipulate me into doing stuff differently", he said, while trying to manipulate others into doing stuff differently.

Dude there's some kind of line between talking about bitcoins and being like "From your stance on bitcoins I can tell you are a psychopath / sociopath, you can't post the way you do without becoming a fraud victim"

The latter is 100% bullshit, it's amazing to see what you'll defend. I've explained my position on bitcoins and why I think that other people saying they're a scam are overblown.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

You've already written what could amount to a book in this thread. Have you bought a bits coin? If not, why should we listen to you? Also, why not?

You don't have to listen to me either, my stance is "Don't listen to the idiots telling you bitcoin are a scam, they''re full of poo poo". What to do in this predicament is, of course, up to you.

There is no charge to read this thread, by the way, unlike the book author guy! Does your work firewall block these comparisons too or

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

gary oldmans diary posted:

my portfolio you ask? ive got 1 word for you: bitcoin
Same but unironically

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dude you care way too much about other people's opinions about an unstoppable technology. Just enjoy the fact that there less people out there hoarding bitcoins and get in on that poo poo if you want, drat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Uranium 235 posted:

bitfinex is going to end services for US residents soon because they say they don't get enough revenue to justify the expense of staying in compliance with US regulations

isn't bitfinex the one that is the money laundering front that has never once complied with us regulations and is owned by a tower of shell companies

Uranium 235 posted:

bittrex claims they follow CFTC and SEC regulations

not knowing who they are but knowing cftc and sec regulations, i feel 100% confident they don't

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

univbee posted:

Dude you care way too much about other people's opinions about an unstoppable technology. Just enjoy the fact that there less people out there hoarding bitcoins and get in on that poo poo if you want, drat.

It's the SA thread for discussing bitcoins in GBS, which you voluntarily click on and read, if you don't want to post about this stuff anymore then what is the problem

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

evilweasel posted:

isn't bitfinex the one that is the money laundering front that has never once complied with us regulations and is owned by a tower of shell companies

not knowing who they are but knowing cftc and sec regulations, i feel 100% confident they don't

When you think about it, the entire US economy is just one giant tower of shell companies, maaaan.

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

If you keep trolling my friend Ham Samwiches I'm going to have to give him 10 btc just to shut you up about him not having bitcoin. Ever considered that he may not have any money to invest in the first place? Capitalism isn't fair.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Be free, ham post

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What if us making fun of Bitcoin is what makes its value go up? I mean we've been making fun of it for years, it's been going up for years...it's like the bizarro version of a kid's movie ending, "not believing" gives it its strength, and if we start believing that'll be the instigating action to the whole thing collapsing.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I'm just posting about coins on a forum it's not a big deal!!

Welcome to all readers, it's a hell of a show

Daily update
Bitcoin is $5700 today

Today's horoscope:
Watch out for psychopaths and con artists! Yikes!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Every single person that said that bitcoins were a scam, [...] and that it's used for drug transactions / money laundering is as wrong as it is possible to be wrong while still alive

Lol, remember when you've posted this bullshit and then a week later used the fact that bitoinks are widely used for illegal poo poo as a self-evident argument in blitcloins's's favour and its impending world domination? How fun was that, lmao.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah I'm sorry, what the gently caress? Why do people try to loving psychoanalyze me from my posts on cryptocurrencies :psyduck:

I'm sorry about your father Prester Jane, I'm a guy posting his opinion on cryptocurrencies on an internet forum that is deeply skeptical of them, I've been posting on these forums for a long time on a variety of topics

People do go to great pains not to call out what they think will happen or be wrong, I think it can be a fun exercise when dealing with highly speculative and risky things. Framing it as if I'm going to be some sort of scam victim for having an idea of what I think happens next is really really weird, maybe you can save your advice for people that ask for it or something?

Like I don't know what made you get into the Bitcoins thread and share the story of your con artist / psychopath father which is utterly irrelevant, and then decide based on my posting style that I need your good advice to change how I think and express myself? What kind of idiotic thoughts occur to you that this seems like a good idea? Please don't try to manipulate me into doing stuff differently like your con artist dad would, I'm just posting about bitcoins here.

Even though I know with 99.9% cerainty that you are going to misinterpret what I write next I am going to say it anyways for the sake of both the peanut gallery and yourself (should you ever reach a point in your life wherein you are reconsidering your present worldview).

10 years ago I was you Ham Sandwiches. I was doing the exact same thing for the exact same reasons that you are in this thread. The only difference is that I was doing it for Ron Paul and not bitcoins.I believed that the Ron Paul revolution was real and would change the world- and I pretended to be a disinterested third party who was just being more objective than the snobs on this board whenever I was called out. I even made a whole bunch of stupid bets with D&D posters about how Ron Paul would perform in the 2008 primaries. The post I am going to quote is where I justified my reasoning for making these bets about the future in December of 2007. While it will probably escape your notice, the rest of the participants here will see a clear parallel between my attitude of "pre-gloating" about the future whilst pretending to be uninvested in Ron Paul and what you have been doing in this thread for the past few days.

Truckin A man[/quote posted:

I realize that many of you think me to be a Ron Paul supporter. It would be a reasonable assumption considering this thread (an assumption that up until now I have done nothing to discourage), but in point of fact I do not support him. I have my own reasons for this, but I will not explain them here as they are quite complicated and ultimately irrelevant to the current discussion. So you may ask yourselves why I have done all this?

Simple. I am irritated by intellectuals who are too invested in their own little pet concepts/too wrapped up in group think to see reality for how it truly is. As I have mentioned before, I pride myself on trying to see reality for how it really is and eliminating my own preconceptions as much as possible. I don't expect everyone to take up this attitude, however, I make exceptions for highly intelligent people spewing out doublethink bullcrap. Intelligent people who are unwilling/unable to try to overcome their limitations to see reality as it really is are a pet peeve of mine.

So in this case I decided to act, and make this thread.

I expect alot of you to be absolutely stunned when reality steamrolls over your petty preconceptions and Ron Paul does exceptionally well in the caucuses. I intend to laugh as many you try to grasp what is really happening here, or explain away the significance of it all. But more than that I want you to know something as it is happening.

Despite all the collective college degree's, real world experience, and intelligence of the community of this board, the majority opinion was wrong. Instead, the reality of the American political scene was read correctly by a man whom is a former truck driver, with no college education, and an admitted CT. I want that to stick in your collective craw as the next two months unfold and many of you find yourselves biting into heaping pieces of humble pie (as well as your wallets in some cases).

Enjoy!

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

What if us making fun of Bitcoin is what makes its value go up?
It goes up because it's an ever-increasingly rare (deflationary) asset with unique and important utility.

This is really not at all complicated, goons just aren't as smart as they think they are.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

with unique and important utility.

In laffs, sure.

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

univbee posted:

In laffs, sure.
im lolling here because im 99% sure im way richer than you and its 100% because of bitcoin.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Paladinus posted:

Lol, remember when you've posted this bullshit and then a week later used the fact that bitoinks are widely used for illegal poo poo as a self-evident argument in blitcloins's's favour and its impending world domination? How fun was that, lmao.

I'm gonna break this down legit for you:

So the meme is that bitcoins are used for drugs, money laundering, and child porn. That's been the running joke since 2010.

First, money is used for those things too, and people use money every day. But let's set that aside for a moment. I explained how people needing to do a transaction that is not legit will be the first ones to try alternatives. So your early adopters are going to be people that have a reason to try the currency.

Clearly with the volume and number of hedge funds and financials and retailers and processors using bitcoins these days it's moved beyond that. That's it dude, I hope you are up to speed now. Fidelity wouldn't be mining them, Japan wouldn't be accepting them, Russia and China wouldn't be talking about them if that's all they were.

Sorry I'll give you an explicit example:
You can use bitcoins at the Microsoft store, it's no longer just for drugs, 100% because Microsoft does not sell drugs

Ham Sandwitch
Oct 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Goldman Sachs is getting horny for bitcoin too. I know some of those guys.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Cool article from today:

http://fortune.com/2017/10/13/bitcoin-goldman-sachs-jp-morgan-price/

Bitcoin Is Now Bigger Than Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley

quote:

But what’s more interesting than the new high is that bitcoin’s rally has driven the value of all tokens currently in circulation up to $97 billion, according to Cryptocurrency Market Capitalizations. That’s higher than even the market capitalizations of Wall Street giants Morgan Stanley($89 billion) and Goldman Sachs ($93 billion). Both banks have paid penalties in relation to the 2008 financial crisis.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ham Sandwitch posted:

im lolling here because im 99% sure im way richer than you and its 100% because of bitcoin.

I'm 99% sure you're way richer than me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

You don't have to listen to me either, my stance is "Don't listen to the idiots telling you bitcoin are a scam, they''re full of poo poo". What to do in this predicament is, of course, up to you.

There is no charge to read this thread, by the way, unlike the book author guy! Does your work firewall block these comparisons too or

You're so loving bad with money that you type all those words about biutcons for free, while we have a living breathing example of how to make money off off words about buycoins, lmao. Buy a bit coin.

• Locked thread