Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nija
Mar 2, 2003
F A C K
Horse combat seems to be difficult to implement because we expect smooth gameplay with nice animations. So if you start to swing your weapon on one side, or you're turning a certain way and want to attack on the other side, there's either some kind of delay or some kind of mechanics preventing you from doing what you think you want to do.

It almost needs to be mech-like in that you issue movement commands one way and view / turret commands through some other method. From what I can tell most developer slap vehicle physics onto a horse and call it a day, and things like what should be a 0 turn radius (or near zero - zero turn radius from the riders perspective) don't come across correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

haveblue posted:

Most videogames implement them as horse-shaped motorcycles, the one game that made it closer to real horse riding (Shadow of the Colossus) always gets poo poo on because the horse sometimes won't do exactly what you say the moment you say it.

If the horse doesn't poop on command, then I don't wanna hear it.

Seriously though Agro and D-Horse best companions ever

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If the horse doesn't poop on command, then I don't wanna hear it.

D-Horse doesn't hum in my ear or key the radio in a panic during missions.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The more precise control you give a player for shooting the more difficult and less bad-rear end it'll be. That's how it works for shooting in every game, some are just more generous with assisting and some are more clever at hiding it. When you add horseback riding into the mix it doesn't change that fact but now makes things even harder.

Shooting in general I think could benefit from more quick-action buttons that don't rely on a player's aim sensitivity or movement of the joystick. Like how in some FPS games you have a button for doing a fast 180 turn. Or how in GTA3 it was super easy to shoot up a car driving alongside you because you just had to combine Shoot + either of the Look Left/Right buttons. It was also super easy and fast to switch from shooting out the left side of the car to the right side as it was just a matter of pressing one shoulder button versus another. Shooting out of a car in other games (or while on a horse) feels like having to swing a heavy tank turret around when all I'm supposed to be doing is controlling my character's arm or hand.

For shooting on a horse, they could also take a more dramatic step and get rid of the y-axis most of the time. Presumably with shooting while on a horse you're riding on the same plane as your enemies, so if your aim was fixed to always be shoulder/head height (with maybe a small amount of give and take) the player could handle moving their aim around much faster because they'd essentially only be sliding their aim around horizontally. Think about how fast and precisely you can move the paddle in Breakout, for example.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Y axis thing was super not true for RDR, though.

But in general, auto aim and soft locks should be used way more.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lobok posted:

Shooting in general I think could benefit from more quick-action buttons that don't rely on a player's aim sensitivity or movement of the joystick. Like how in some FPS games you have a button for doing a fast 180 turn.

I really agree with this. I hate how the focus on game skill is so tied to who can aim da cursor the fastest. Like, games are so complex now and have so many ways of adding depth it seems like such a dumb thing to fixate on.

Snak posted:

I think they can go either way. RDR is an example of it working really well, because it sets up badass 6 shooter moments and really plays into the theme. GTA5 on the other hand, has such ridiculously generous auto aim I barely feel like I'm playing.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 13, 2017

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

I never played RDR so what do you mean when you say the Y axis "thing" was not true? I get that with shooting from a horse there will be times when you need to shoot above or below you, like in a western if you have to shoot up in windows or you want to take out horse legs (you sick bastard) but I think you could have the player swivel their aim without a Y axis as the baseline and then think about how the player could quickly and easily move the aim from that baseline. What I was originally thinking but didn't say was that it could be like old-school Doom where you could hit something above you just by having your cursor somewhere along the vertical but I don't know if modern players would stand for that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's just that in RDR theres tons of combat on hills and stuff with constantly changing elevation. You're almost never on a flat plane outside of the area that's specifically a flat plane. It's got really rich and interesting area design, and part of that means that you're aiming up and down a lot, even while riding a horse.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I never used autoaim or softlock in RDR and only used free aim and I feel way more badass as a result. Git gud.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

But you couldn't quickscope and that's actually being pro so git gud.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

I never used autoaim or softlock in RDR and only used free aim and I feel way more badass as a result. Git gud.

I mean, yeah. I don't really have a complaint with existing games.

I guess what I mean is that I would like to see a genre of games that involves shooting, but isn't based around the player's skill at aiming and shooting. Where the player's job is more to prioritize targets and decided when and when not to use violence. Games have a lot of systems like this for melee, with locked in animations for certain attacks where you just hit the prompt. i would like to play a game that is like that with shooting. Just because I think it would open up new options for gameplay experience. We've got tons and tons and tons of games to play if you want to use your skills at aiming and shooting. To the point where games that should barely be about that, like say, LA Noire, are still throwing like 30 guys to mow down at you. Because the aiming and shooting is considered part of the core gameplay. I would like to see a game that is more like "your character knows how to shoot people. If you choose to shoot someone, they've got this".

Like AssCreed or Arkam, but with those mechanics applied to shooting.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snak posted:

Arkham Ah'llShoot'em

If not Arkham though, a twin-stick shooter isn't all that far off from what you're describing.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 13, 2017

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snak posted:

I mean, yeah. I don't really have a complaint with existing games.

I guess what I mean is that I would like to see a genre of games that involves shooting, but isn't based around the player's skill at aiming and shooting. Where the player's job is more to prioritize targets and decided when and when not to use violence. Games have a lot of systems like this for melee, with locked in animations for certain attacks where you just hit the prompt. i would like to play a game that is like that with shooting. Just because I think it would open up new options for gameplay experience. We've got tons and tons and tons of games to play if you want to use your skills at aiming and shooting. To the point where games that should barely be about that, like say, LA Noire, are still throwing like 30 guys to mow down at you. Because the aiming and shooting is considered part of the core gameplay. I would like to see a game that is more like "your character knows how to shoot people. If you choose to shoot someone, they've got this".

I'd prefer less shooting in games in general though. Like, if I want to shoot people I'll play destiny because it's great for shooting people. Shooting in games like LA Noire should be reserved for a small number of setpieces and should be incredibly rare. If they were more confident in their storytelling ability and able to make the investigations more dynamic it would have been a better game. Even RDR would have benefited from less shooting overall and more significant infrequent gunfights at critical moments, like an actual Western.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

Arkham Ah'llShoot'em

If not Arkham though, a twin-stick shooter isn't all that far off from what you're describing.

No, a twin-stick shooter is again using the player's skill at aiming. Arkham was just an example of the type of fluidity in targeting. I'm thinking like, real-time VATS. No overlay, just a "shoot at that guy" button, and an aim modifier to "shoot that guy in the head". I think a system like this would give you the ability to have encounters play out much more cinematically and be more about the order in which you shoot people as opposed to how you do it.

I'm talking about a new genre, that tries to capture the feel of brawler or melee action game, but with the presentation of a gunfight. If you didn't have to spend time and effort aiming, you could be focusing on more action-movie type choices, like, shoot, shoot, environmental attack, thrown object, reload, shoot. I think it would be really cool to see some games that tried something like that.

edit: ^ I agree. I think it's a natural result of "aiming and shooting" being considered a core gameplay element, and so it's expected to get used.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
There are aspects of Devil May Cry and Bayonetta that are vaguely like that, but really the projectile weapons are just melee weapons with a long reach.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Snak posted:

No, a twin-stick shooter is again using the player's skill at aiming. Arkham was just an example of the type of fluidity in targeting. I'm thinking like, real-time VATS. No overlay, just a "shoot at that guy" button, and an aim modifier to "shoot that guy in the head". I think a system like this would give you the ability to have encounters play out much more cinematically and be more about the order in which you shoot people as opposed to how you do it.

So basically the original Dooms. You basically just had to shoot in an enemy's general direction to hit them.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Snak posted:

I'm talking about a new genre, that tries to capture the feel of brawler or melee action game, but with the presentation of a gunfight. If you didn't have to spend time and effort aiming, you could be focusing on more action-movie type choices, like, shoot, shoot, environmental attack, thrown object, reload, shoot. I think it would be really cool to see some games that tried something like that.

edit: ^ I agree. I think it's a natural result of "aiming and shooting" being considered a core gameplay element, and so it's expected to get used.

So sort of like a tell-tale games thing, and/or a combat system where you would "tag" enemies in the order you wanted to attack them. So if you trigger then "Action scene" setpiece (through dialogue choice or whatever) the scene freezes and you can cursor over enemies and/or environmental items to choreograph the action scene. "Shoot guy A and B, duck behind counter, shoot window out, run at guy C firing gun, jump out of window" and then watch it play out.

I think I would actually be interested in that. Not sure how much replayability it would have, but it could be fun at least once.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Thats the phantom pain. 10/10.

The Phantom Pain is the 6/10 I give the game for having no story or boss battles worth a drat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

With Diablo 3 on PS4 being more fun (in my opinion) to play than on PC due to the stick movement, Grim Dawn is on an amazing position to come to PS4 too. It just got an expansion pack released and right now is my favourite isometric ARPG on PC.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Snak posted:

Just out of curiosity, have you played as Lady in DMC4 SE? It kinda sounds like that's exactly what you're looking for.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I picked up Everyone's Golf the other day and... it's really really good. Nothing feels satisfying like sinking a putt from across the green or getting an eagle from 80 yards out. I haven't played this series since the PS1 either.

The UI is a bit of a busy mess, though. But I just love how chill it is and it gives you a nice string of positive reinforcement the entire time so it's not even that bad when you have a horrible run.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Agro is the smartest character in his game. "No, I will not throw myself off that ledge to a fatal fall."

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of guns in games, I want another game that handles it like the Assassin's Creed 2 and 3 games did: one shot, mostly auto aiming but takes forever, and if it hits it ends the fight and scares the poo poo out of everyone else.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Bayonetta//Devil May Cry 3/4 allow you to simply lock on to your enemy so your guns always hit and always do their damage.

In Bayonetta the absolute most broken comboes in the game are gun combos and you can beat all of Devil May Cry 3/4 with just guns, and in some cases are encouraged to do so, and the game is a pure action style brawler.

Vanquish still has elements of twitch aiming but it’s all streamlined to reward you for shooting that way.

Bulletstorm also owns and allows for incredibly badass moments that make you feel as though you are the boss in a bullet hell game.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For anyone still on the fence about Yakuza games...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdDx2HQ9Bw

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Guillermus posted:

For anyone still on the fence about Yakuza games...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zdDx2HQ9Bw
I love that guy. He appears so many times.

edit: is that how Majima talks in the English tranlsation? Weird.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Guillermus posted:

With Diablo 3 on PS4 being more fun (in my opinion) to play than on PC due to the stick movement, Grim Dawn is on an amazing position to come to PS4 too. It just got an expansion pack released and right now is my favourite isometric ARPG on PC.

I think Path of Exile is coming over as well?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think Path of Exile is coming over as well?
it recently came out on xbox. i have seen zero mention of ps4.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Awesome! posted:

it recently came out on xbox. i have seen zero mention of ps4.

https://gamingbolt.com/path-of-exile-dev-explains-why-the-game-is-not-coming-on-the-ps4-xbox-ones-esram-didnt-posed-many-issues

:oh:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I picked up Everyone's Golf the other day and... it's really really good. Nothing feels satisfying like sinking a putt from across the green or getting an eagle from 80 yards out. I haven't played this series since the PS1 either.

It's really good except the Imperial Garden can go gently caress itself.

You don't have to, but consider saving up gems now if you ever want to match up to people online, to boost your custom clubs. Each day, each open course has one hole with a bunch of items around it, including two Gem spawns. Once you figure out which hole they're on on Eagle Cup OUT, you can then find the rest super easy: +2 per course, +10 for IN, numbers wrap around - so if Eagle Cup OUT has items at 7, Eagle CUP IN has them at 17, Alpine OUT has them at 9, Alpine IN has them at 10 (19 doesn't exist), Kanaloa OUT has them at 2 (9+2 wraps around), etc.

Also while you're on an open course you can go to Communication and get a list of current players, and if you copy them for a price you get every part they're wearing.

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

Samurai Sanders posted:

Speaking of guns in games, I want another game that handles it like the Assassin's Creed 2 and 3 games did: one shot, mostly auto aiming but takes forever, and if it hits it ends the fight and scares the poo poo out of everyone else.

Uncharted 4 with the bullet time and/or auto aim cheats turned on?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Snak posted:

I know exactly what you mean because I like the same thing, and I think of them as timing or rhythm (rather than aiming) based combat.. Arkham series, souls series, bayonetta combat, Witcher combat all come to mind. Batman/bayonetta/bloodborne all use ranged elements to great effect, I agree that a game that flips the melee/range emphasis would be pretty fun.

Twitch aiming is the niche of shooters and lots of people like it, I think there’s a better chance of a 3rd person action game doing this (“souls with guns!”) than a shooter advertising itself without aiming.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the xbox has...the right ram???

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Brother Entropy posted:

the xbox has...the right ram???
I guess this time they acknowledged that people buy video game consoles to play video games on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
My TV & Video "app" has been busted for the last two months. It just hangs on the system background when you open it, possibly but not always displaying the loading icon with the symbols. I have to load Netflix through the Library. I've heard of this being an intermittent problem before but it's been literal months. What's going on?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Stelas posted:

It's really good except the Imperial Garden can go gently caress itself.

You don't have to, but consider saving up gems now if you ever want to match up to people online, to boost your custom clubs. Each day, each open course has one hole with a bunch of items around it, including two Gem spawns. Once you figure out which hole they're on on Eagle Cup OUT, you can then find the rest super easy: +2 per course, +10 for IN, numbers wrap around - so if Eagle Cup OUT has items at 7, Eagle CUP IN has them at 17, Alpine OUT has them at 9, Alpine IN has them at 10 (19 doesn't exist), Kanaloa OUT has them at 2 (9+2 wraps around), etc.

Also while you're on an open course you can go to Communication and get a list of current players, and if you copy them for a price you get every part they're wearing.

I did not know that. Thanks for the tips.

These top 5 rankings on the 9 hole courses are bananas. I don't think I'd ever be able to get a -18.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fedule posted:

My TV & Video "app" has been busted for the last two months. It just hangs on the system background when you open it, possibly but not always displaying the loading icon with the symbols. I have to load Netflix through the Library. I've heard of this being an intermittent problem before but it's been literal months. What's going on?

That happens to me on occasion. Going into my network settings and hit "test my connection" typically resolves it although I wish I knew how to fix the underlying problem.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Jimbot posted:

These top 5 rankings on the 9 hole courses are bananas. I don't think I'd ever be able to get a -18.

Once you hit max rank you can forge custom clubs, which basically involve paying ten gems a pop to raise a stat 1-3 times. The highest power club you can get in the main game is a Rank 1 Big Air with 8 Power, so custom clubs will quickly outpace it and go stupendous distances.

That said it's just for bragging rights and special vs characters, so it's really not a must-do step.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

All this cool shooting stuff makes me think of that one splinter cell where sam is a hobo and you can use a combination of guided headshots and free aimed headshots to drop like 8 dudes in 3 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

OxMan posted:

All this cool shooting stuff makes me think of that one splinter cell where sam is a hobo and you can use a combination of guided headshots and free aimed headshots to drop like 8 dudes in 3 seconds.

Go play Splinter Cell: Blacklist, it brings back the good parts of Splinter Cell but keeps Mark and Execute.