Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

adhuin posted:

That is the whole loving point. 1 starter isn't good enough for even casual play at home.

Exactly, you buy your one starter, it's terrible. You can't go to tournaments, you can't really play casually so you give up. I'm genuinely confused why people are having trouble with why this is bad for getting people into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
It's fine for casual play. I think you guys are really overestimating that audience. We're talking about people that have a hard time following how to play Dominion. L5R is already pretty complicated for them, if you forced them into deckbuilding beyond "take cards X and Y and shuffle together" they'd check out because it's too complicated.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

It's fine for casual play. I think you guys are really overestimating that audience. We're talking about people that have a hard time following how to play Dominion. L5R is already pretty complicated for them, if you forced them into deckbuilding beyond "take cards X and Y and shuffle together" they'd check out because it's too complicated.

How many people who find the game that complicated would even try to get into L5R in the first place? Genuinely curious. It doesn't seem like people who aren't interested in learning a weird card game are the target audience for a card game that takes $40+ dollars to break into, outside of maybe little kids who think the game sounds cool/want to play what their older siblings play (i.e. my little brothers, who got into the GoT card game for a little while through me).

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It doesn't work mechanically but it makes a bit of lore sense. The kami are below humanity in the celestial order, it is only right and proper that they obey. The relationship between a Shugenja and the kami is the same as a Samurai to the Peasants, there are certain obligations both ways. It's the real reason why Maho is reviled, the taint and blood used to cast it is bad, but a human is becoming subservient to a spirit, thereby inverting the celestial order.

No, spiritual backlash is a fine idea, the problem is that the Earth ring penalty does not work as a penalty because that penalty is part of casting any spell at all outside conflict. There's already a 1/scene limit on invocations outside combat, so the spiritual backlash here is nonexistent. Edit: I might be misunderstanding you here, whoops.

Though, are you sure about that? I thought shugenja magic was always about beseeching the kami for help, not ordering or demanding it. Not sure what the older stuff has to say, but this is in the beta document:

quote:

The Proper Time for the Proper Invocations

Invocations can be used outside of their proper circumstances, but kami are not obligated to answer the call of a shugenja, nor do they tend to react to frivolous entreaties. Outside of Conflicts and other life-and-death situations, a shugenja can only attempt a given invocation once per scene; if the shugenja succeeds, the kami have done as asked and it would be unseemly to request more. If the attempt ended in failure, the kami have made their answer clear.

Additionally, if a shugenja attempts to use an invocation in a way that falls far outside of its relevant context (for instance, attempting to summon vast quantities of jade to turn a profit, rather than to smite evil), the kami may not answer at all. The kami are not at the beck and call of the shugenja; if anything the relationship works the other way around, and the shugenja merely receive certain benefits as favors for their devotion.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 13, 2017

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Roland Jones posted:

How many people who find the game that complicated would even try to get into L5R in the first place? Genuinely curious. It doesn't seem like people who aren't interested in learning a weird card game are the target audience for a card game that takes $40+ dollars to break into, outside of maybe little kids who think the game sounds cool/want to play what their older siblings play (i.e. my little brothers, who got into the GoT card game for a little while through me).

See there you go using terms like 'break into'. These people don't do research on the game. It simply shows up on the BGG hotness list, or a popular product list, or they saw a lot of people posting about, etc. These are people that walked by the booth at Gencon, went 'Wow, Samurai game that looks cool. Take my money!'

Anyone who's even remotely interested to 'get into' the game will have done a bit of research online, joined the Facebook/Reddit chat, read about the game on BGG or FFG's own website, and immediately seen what you need to jump into the game proper is 3 core sets. If they were turned off by that and decided to not jump into the game, then fair enough it didn't hook them. The fact that every LCG does it's best sales in Core Sets, and actually expansions for board games in general, should tell you that a lot of people will just grab something because of the hype train, play it one time, and then let it sit on their shelf for the rest of their days.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Roland Jones posted:

Lots of folks who play board games may do just that. Especially as FFG is still primarily known as a board game company (even though I seem to recall most of their revenue came from the various star wars minis). I know people who have only bought the cores for AGoT 1.0 and 2.0 and just play it like a 2-4 player board game using the suggested decks. And that's actually how I got into AGoT-one of my friends had the starter, we played and a couple of us liked it and decided to buy in (and after we bought in, the dude who brought the starter for us to play also started buying more into it, and we've all continued into 2.0).

Honestly, it seems the people who are complaining the most are expecting a full card game experience (with all the customization and options that typically entails) for a medium-priced board game price ($40 is hardly at the high end for board games outside of discounts). And that's not realistic. People who just want a quick board-game feel or to mess around aren't necessarily gonna care that they can't go around entering tournaments or whatever right out of one core. They may not even understand the gripes that people trying to play the game more competitively have, or they may do things like someone suggested and just combine whatever cards they want because it's a more enjoyable experience for them. And alternately, people who DO want to find tournaments and a community playing typically understand that card games are relatively more expensive than board games (although when you start adding expansions and whatnot, a lot of board games can get quite high in price).

This discussion comes up about pretty much every LCG. People hear it's a cheap way to play card games (which is entirely true, even a lot of dead card games would cost more to get into) and expect to pay nothing or something. And they often seem to ignore other options that are given (splitting the 3 core cost with someone, buying in at a slower rate, proxying, borrowing cards/decks, etc).
------------------

To get away from this discussion, I'm wondering how primary RPG dudes feel about what I assume is the fact that the LCG tournaments are going to determine storyline elements. Like I just was reading on the facebook group (one of them, at least) that the shogun of the empire will be decided by the winning clan at worlds. And already the bounties are going up (was something I largely forgot about from the old CCG days-basically dudes offering prizes to people who win with the clan they want and/or make story decisions they want)-when I checked this morning there was a $225 bounty for getting Crab to be shogun. I have no idea how they'd do it, but it does seem like it would be cool if they could get some RPG player input somehow, especially as they're typically gonna be more in-depth into the story elements.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

See there you go using terms like 'break into'. These people don't do research on the game. It simply shows up on the BGG hotness list, or a popular product list, or they saw a lot of people posting about, etc. These are people that walked by the booth at Gencon, went 'Wow, Samurai game that looks cool. Take my money!'

Anyone who's even remotely interested to 'get into' the game will have done a bit of research online, joined the Facebook/Reddit chat, read about the game on BGG or FFG's own website, and immediately seen what you need to jump into the game proper is 3 core sets. If they were turned off by that and decided to not jump into the game, then fair enough it didn't hook them. The fact that every LCG does it's best sales in Core Sets, and actually expansions for board games in general, should tell you that a lot of people will just grab something because of the hype train, play it one time, and then let it sit on their shelf for the rest of their days.

Fair enough. I knew people like that are a thing, I was just figuring they're a considerably smaller proportion of people who buy the game.

Though, obviously core set sales are the highest. It's the core set; it's what everyone needs, then people branch out from there as needed/desired. Also, you need three core sets, versus one of any other set. So, I think you're extrapolating more from that particular data point than you should.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

So, I think you're extrapolating more from that particular data point than you should.

I'm just going on numbers I heard retailers batting around online, which range from 70% to 85% of their sales of an LCG being in cores. So it's a fairly overwhelming amount. If you assume that everyone who buys 3 Cores will buy the first cycle and a deluxe then those sales should be a lot closer. The fact that they aren't suggests that either people are buying 3 cores of these games and then not buying into it any further or there's a large amount of people buying only a single core.

You are right, there's certainly a lot of speculation and room for variance outside that. FFG doesn't release it's figures so we won't ever know for certain unless someone hacks them and posts their sales records online.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

Honestly, it seems the people who are complaining the most are expecting a full card game experience (with all the customization and options that typically entails) for a medium-priced board game price ($40 is hardly at the high end for board games outside of discounts). And that's not realistic.

Well technically I could do just that with millennium blades

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PaybackJack posted:

I'm just going on numbers I heard retailers batting around online, which range from 70% to 85% of their sales of an LCG being in cores. So it's a fairly overwhelming amount. If you assume that everyone who buys 3 Cores will buy the first cycle and a deluxe then those sales should be a lot closer. The fact that they aren't suggests that either people are buying 3 cores of these games and then not buying into it any further or there's a large amount of people buying only a single core.

You are right, there's certainly a lot of speculation and room for variance outside that. FFG doesn't release it's figures so we won't ever know for certain unless someone hacks them and posts their sales records online.

Fair point, that is higher than what I was expecting. But at the same time, while everyone wants core sets, not everyone will want every other set. Might skip out on certain smaller packs and almost certainly will skip on clan-specific packs for clans they don't want, further contributing to the discrepancy. But, yeah, people who only buy core stuff and don't go further than that because it fails to hold their interest are definitely a factor too.

alansmithee posted:

To get away from this discussion, I'm wondering how primary RPG dudes feel about what I assume is the fact that the LCG tournaments are going to determine storyline elements. Like I just was reading on the facebook group (one of them, at least) that the shogun of the empire will be decided by the winning clan at worlds. And already the bounties are going up (was something I largely forgot about from the old CCG days-basically dudes offering prizes to people who win with the clan they want and/or make story decisions they want)-when I checked this morning there was a $225 bounty for getting Crab to be shogun. I have no idea how they'd do it, but it does seem like it would be cool if they could get some RPG player input somehow, especially as they're typically gonna be more in-depth into the story elements.

Personally, at least, I hope that they keep things more reasonable this time at least. Don't go completely insane the way they did before, make sure everything makes sense narratively even if the real reason whatever happened is due to a real life tournament, etc. The stories about the old game stuff... Hoo boy.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've never cared*. I RPG pretty much exclusively in pre-Coup days and wouldn't have a moment's hesitation about doing stuff like whacking Kamoko so our party Unicorn can be Thunder. I do not know how the majority of RPG players feel on the issue. I assume many people are deeply invested in metaplots like the old World of Darkness had going on, or metaplots wouldn't be a thing.

*that's w/r/t my personal RPG activity. I sure as hell have opinions about the old canon stories in the abstract.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

Well technically I could do just that with millennium blades

millennium blades is around £60, I wouldnt call it "medium-priced"(it is an excellent game though). Also not sure how well it plays with juust 2 people.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I don't know a lot about the L5R setting's "social rules" kind of thing and I figure this thread is probably the best place to ask: I want to know more about monks and their social rules/status/etc, especially Togashi monks. Also some info about tattoo stuff.

I know they're considered kind of outside of the caste system, and that they are not actually samurai, unlike pretty much any other Great Clan character you can make. As such, are they allowed to learn to use samurai-tagged weapons like the katana, or really any other weapons for that matter? It's kind of weird to think that the katana is considered strictly a "samurai" weapon when real life ashigaru carried them in battle (though admittedly they were not allowed to wear them outside of battle). Also, what about archery or wearing armor (which aren't unique to samurai, but are not considered very monk-like either)? Really, I'm curious if monks are allowed to do most things that bushi are allowed to do, minus carry a daisho and act like samurai.

In terms of Togashi monks in particular, is it possible to wear armor while using your tattoos? I know the 4E rules say the tattoos have to be uncovered, but can you for instance have tattoos on your arms and wear armor everywhere but your arms? Do the rules allow/account for that sort of thing? I'm guessing armor is an "all or nothing" thing where wearing armor basically negates any tattoos except maybe face tattoos, but I'm curious if there is a way. I ask because I ran across this guy in the L5R wiki and he's both a tattooed monk and a niten swordsman that wears partial armor. Dude is also totally "OC Do Not Steal" levels of Mary Sue, but that's not exactly uncommon in L5R.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Togashi Monks are legally full samurai, regardless of origin. They can get as wild as they want with swords they just generally don't.

They rarely leave the mountains because, hey monks, but causing social confusion is one of their biggest hallmarks.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I dunno about Rokugan, but in real life there's kyudo, or zen archery. Now granted, it was only practiced by monks because of the introduction of guns to Japanese warfare, but L5R is based on an abstracted nerd version of Japan, so it would make sense to use it anyway.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

alansmithee posted:

Honestly, it seems the people who are complaining the most are expecting a full card game experience (with all the customization and options that typically entails) for a medium-priced board game price ($40 is hardly at the high end for board games outside of discounts). And that's not realistic.

Doomtown Reloaded was a full experience, minus the customization/options bit, but no one is actually complaining about that

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Like for $40 you should be able to make 2 decks in a universal format. They don't have to be good decks, but they should give you a good feel for how the game plays.

The fact people are defending a company for the audacity of making a lovely, "less than" format rather than meeting that bare minimum standard is depressing as hell.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Dick Burglar posted:

I don't know a lot about the L5R setting's "social rules" kind of thing and I figure this thread is probably the best place to ask: I want to know more about monks and their social rules/status/etc, especially Togashi monks. Also some info about tattoo stuff.

Most monk schools are considered outside the hierarchy of samurai and peasant and what not despite accepting from all classes. Togashi Dragon monks are an exception. They are a legal clan of samurai, and in fact one of the most well respected families. They have all the legal rights of a samurai as well as the ability to do weird poo poo because 'i am a monk'. This means that a peasant or even a burakamin who makes their way to the temple and succeeds at the initiation challenges can transcend the caste system and become Samurai, by accepting the blood of Togashi and giving up their name.

They can wield a sword, though most don't because Togashi taught that the sword was only to be used in the most dire of circumstances and to, in all others, try to be non lethal. Also because most monks are absurdly proud of their ability to use ki (kiho) to do the supernatural. There's actually Togashis Daisho, the family relic of the Togashi family, a katana and wakizashi pair that when held in the hands of a tattooed monk lets them channel Togashi' s wisdom and might, to become supernatural.

While it might be slightly odd for one to use a sword or bow, it's not completely unheard of. As mentioned above there are actually more than one characters in lore that are part of multiple schools, and most often this happens with monk orders. So you can easily justify things like an archer by saying 'my family often practices archery, and I grew up around them, so I still know it, despite the monks preferring to be unarmed'

In previous editions they could use any armor under a certain level, with the justification being that they still display their tattoos. It has varied from edition to edition though, some say they could wear padded clothing armor, some have them in ashigaru armor. Some in between.

I would personally prevent them from wielding or wearing anything labeled Cumbersome at least.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Oct 13, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I mean if I were in charge of the thing, I'd have done it this way:

Core box has the rules, 2 well balanced decks to smash together (make it a fiction like the old L5R special sets, IE Battle at Beiden Pass), tokens, etc. Also contains all the universal cards, and cards of the two featured clans in a playset, so people will want to buy it.

Next 5 expansions in 5 weeks are the other 5 clans. Week 6 is your first mixed bag expansion.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

PaybackJack posted:

That definitely sucks, are you using the Team Covenant subscriptions or another place? Did you contact them to see if there's a cheaper option or if it would be possible to do a hold and get them sent in 3 week chunks?

As it turns out, Covenant can switch it to a lower speed, but they can't bunch send.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

On the subject of the Togashi, am I missing something here or are the new tattoo mechanics kind of boring? In 4E they could let you do all sorts of cool stuff like walking up walls or breathing fire, but in 5E they apparently just add dice to certain skill rolls. It’s really disappointing.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Core box has the rules, 2 well balanced decks to smash together (make it a fiction like the old L5R special sets, IE Battle at Beiden Pass), tokens, etc. Also contains all the universal cards, and cards of the two featured clans in a playset, so people will want to buy it.

Next 5 expansions in 5 weeks are the other 5 clans. Week 6 is your first mixed bag expansion.

literally no one cares anymore.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

imperialparadox posted:

I like the outburst system. It actually seems really thematic and suited to the setting.

So far I like the general direction the RPG beta is headed in, though there are a decent amount of rules holes and things that probably aren't working as intended. How receptive is FFG to feedback though? I'm left wondering if they will update the rules to follow player's critiques, or if the beta is pretty reflective of the final product?

The outburst system is chanbara as hell and I dig it.

Not digging the specialized dice, though.

Any suggestions on How To Crane Clan in the LCG?

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

There's no incentive for them to give players the option to straight up ignore the other factions, and you're creating 5 extra products. If you're a player that just wants to play 1 faction and gently caress the other factions sure, that's a great idea. As a retailer the gently caress you'd want to go through the hassle of having to stock 6 separate products that you have no idea which ones will sell and which ones won't. On top of which anyone who came in and wanted to play would have to buy the first one so you'd have to carry extra of those, of course if you didn't want to play one of those two factions you'd be pissed that you have to buy 2 products while players from those clans only have to buy one.

Doomtown Reloaded was a full experience, minus the customization/options bit, but no one is actually complaining about that

DTR = 286 cards spread across 4 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 53 cards counting your faction card.

L5R = 247 cards spread across 7 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 86 cards including provinces and faction card.

One of these is a lot easier to make work than the other. DTR got rid of the old factions and rebooted the game so many years after it had died that they were probably lucky people remembered it enough to go out and buy it. L5R LCG was made official the minute the old game died, and you still had the same player base and built in loyal clan followers. They pissed off plenty of people by cutting Mantis and Shadowlands, but they decided that they need to cut them probably for a combination of space, story, and balance reasons. Obviously they felt that cutting more was detrimental to the health of the game so they didn't.

Like for $40 you should be able to make 2 decks in a universal format. They don't have to be good decks, but they should give you a good feel for how the game plays.

The fact people are defending a company for the audacity of making a lovely, "less than" format rather than meeting that bare minimum standard is depressing as hell.

The core set does give you a feel for how the game plays. You're literally just using fewer cards than normal. You don't use any different rules other than for deck building. A single core is meant to be a hook to get you to go buy more product. I will defend the company because they're entitled to make a profit selling their game and getting people to buy more product. They're under no obligation to make their product so cheap that you can ignore some of it, or pick and choose what content you buy from them. They have a model that they've stuck with for 7 games now. If the model wasn't profitable or efficient they wouldn't use it. If you don't like the model then fine, don't buy into it. Don't support it if you're that enraged that this company is twisting your arm to buy a 2nd Core to make decks that you can play in tournaments.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Bakeneko posted:

On the subject of the Togashi, am I missing something here or are the new tattoo mechanics kind of boring? In 4E they could let you do all sorts of cool stuff like walking up walls or breathing fire, but in 5E they apparently just add dice to certain skill rolls. It’s really disappointing.

Nah they are pretty boring but they work out well with some Kiho, which have new ways to spend opportunity. Not that many though.

I sorta understand it though. 4e Togashi Monks had all the cool stuff, and other monks got like very little neat things. Kiho being monk wide cool stuff works okay. But definitely loses some of the mystical feel of the Togashi and their tattoos specifically. I tried to make a post about this, but it never actually got posted to the forums because it was a new account (never felt like I needed to post about star wars due to the thread here).

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 14, 2017

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning
Speaking of the new beta, do people think they'll keep with one technique at 1 and one at 6, or maybe expand them to getting techniques at 1,3 and 6?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Trollhawke posted:

Speaking of the new beta, do people think they'll keep with one technique at 1 and one at 6, or maybe expand them to getting techniques at 1,3 and 6?

Judging from the FFG forums, every rank should have a new technique and the fact that it doesn't is causing w ton of chain rattling.

'Rumors' from a supposed closed playtester says that there are 'rank 0' techniques that you can earn in schools other than your starting one, if you join a secondary school. But I would take it with a grain of salt because I think that thread is still up on the forums and I doubt FFG would be cool with a playtester leaking closed info on their own forums?

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
FFG is intentionally avoiding defined Techniques every Rank, instead using the existing framework of more free-form Technique acquisition, in order to make the clutter and complexity of stacking Techniques something into which players "opt in." They intend for the current style where each School gets one special power that scales with Ranks and one capstone power as the only sure things.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Bliss Authority posted:

The outburst system is chanbara as hell and I dig it.

Not digging the specialized dice, though.

Any suggestions on How To Crane Clan in the LCG?

I played some crane vs scorpion.

1. Always Be Honoring your dudes.
2. Military is bad always go political but you can wreck their day with dueling guys.
3. Splash phoenix is good for pacifism and display of power.
4. You can afford to bid low on honor if you get the guy with sincerity and have a few honored guys out.
5. I played a mix of defense and offense and pacifism helped my military attacks get through vs dragon.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Similar question, I'm still looking to possibly get into the LCG if I can find someone to split the cost with, and I'm most interested in Phoenix, Crab, and Dragon. Any tips there? I understand the Dragon are really strong, but the other two I've heard mixed things on.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Similar question, I'm still looking to possibly get into the LCG if I can find someone to split the cost with, and I'm most interested in Phoenix, Crab, and Dragon. Any tips there? I understand the Dragon are really strong, but the other two I've heard mixed things on.

Dragon and Crab seem to be around the middle, Unicorn and Phoenix are on the bottom, and the other three are the strongest.

It's a somewhat bias reporting because there haven't been a lot of Lion or Unicorn players but when there have been, that's where they seem to end up. I wouldn't put too much stock into the group think of any L5R mentality like that, but I do agree that Unicorn and Phoenix are probably the weakest at the moment.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Fun thing I just noticed - some classes literally can't buy the things on their XP lists! I noticed it specifically with Shinjo Outrider; a number of kata and shuji on their XP lists are a level higher then they can actually purchase. I haven't checked other schools yet, but it's probable they've got it too.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

PaybackJack posted:

There's no incentive for them to give players the option to straight up ignore the other factions, and you're creating 5 extra products.

I'd call "longevity of the game" a good incentive to "ignore" (lol) 5 clans by not having them in a single release. And I'm not creating 5 extra products. I'm using the release slots they already committed to.

quote:

If you're a player that just wants to play 1 faction and gently caress the other factions sure, that's a great idea. As a retailer the gently caress you'd want to go through the hassle of having to stock 6 separate products that you have no idea which ones will sell and which ones won't. On top of which anyone who came in and wanted to play would have to buy the first one so you'd have to carry extra of those, of course if you didn't want to play one of those two factions you'd be pissed that you have to buy 2 products while players from those clans only have to buy one.

As opposed to the retailer headache of having to stock some arbitrary number of cores because who knows how many each player will want to buy. And they are STILL going to have the problem of extra stocked expansions because they have that with LCGs anyhow.

quote:

DTR = 286 cards spread across 4 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 53 cards counting your faction card.

L5R = 247 cards spread across 7 factions with a tournament legal deck size of 86 cards including provinces and faction card.

One of these is a lot easier to make work than the other. DTR got rid of the old factions and rebooted the game so many years after it had died that they were probably lucky people remembered it enough to go out and buy it. L5R LCG was made official the minute the old game died, and you still had the same player base and built in loyal clan followers. They pissed off plenty of people by cutting Mantis and Shadowlands, but they decided that they need to cut them probably for a combination of space, story, and balance reasons. Obviously they felt that cutting more was detrimental to the health of the game so they didn't.

You seem to think the idea of not having every clan in the starter is "cutting" them. The very same people who are obsessive about the property that you mention are literate and would be able to consume a press release that their clan is coming shortly, i assure you.

quote:

The core set does give you a feel for how the game plays. You're literally just using fewer cards than normal. You don't use any different rules other than for deck building. A single core is meant to be a hook to get you to go buy more product.

And here is where we disagree. We agree on the general idea that it should entice people to buy more product. However, I feel it should entice them through giving an honest representation of how the game plays, not being 1/3 of that experience. And come on, decks that are only 75% of the size, with no consistency is as much of a representative experience as it woild be to grab a handful of commons from a magic box and mash them together.

quote:

I will defend the company because they're entitled to make a profit selling their game and getting people to buy more product. They're under no obligation to make their product so cheap that you can ignore some of it, or pick and choose what content you buy from them. They have a model that they've stuck with for 7 games now. If the model wasn't profitable or efficient they wouldn't use it. If you don't like the model then fine, don't buy into it. Don't support it if you're that enraged that this company is twisting your arm to buy a 2nd Core to make decks that you can play in tournaments.

What does this even mean? Are you under the impression people just don't understand FFG is a for profit corporation? Being a corporation isn't a shield against all criticism for the sake of profit, but you do you, i guess?

I'm telling you, on the ground, a lot of the l5r diehards are completely turned off by the way they are handling the release. Thats their core audience.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You are in a vocal minority, that has been present in every LCG they've made. Their model hasn't hindered the growth of any of those games because the overwhelming majority of players have either accepted it, or worked around it (sharing cores with friends, or buying faction packs from places like Team Covenant). They have found a model that services both their long term and short term audiences and they've stuck with it and improved it with each passing year.

Sorry, it doesn't work for you but most people like it or are willing to accept it without much fuss beyond grumbling about their wallet taking a hit. Yes, it's not perfect for the middle class player, but the semi-competitive players aren't where they get their business. A lot of companies market their products on an inverse bell curve and FFG clearly does too. Sucks that you fall into that shallow valley of players that want to get in cheaply while still being competitive but you are not where they get their sales from and the valley is thin enough that most people shift into one of the two peaks and not remove themselves from the chart.

The fact is it's a dead issue. FFG isn't going to change because it works for them and the game has been released using it. I have explained to you their reasons for using it and why it works for them, and for retailers, and for the community at large.

FFG is not a perfect company and if/when L5R dies, I can guarantee you it will be for reasons other than the Core set.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 14, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Oh ok well you're the authority

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
In any nerdhobby the serious tournament players are the tiny (vocal) minority.
Most customers are casuals who play with their RL mates/family and don't interact with the general community. They buy a boxed set to play with. If their group likes it they might get expansions. lovely starter (like this) leads to less sales.

It's not like bad starter is a selling point for the whales or competitive players.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Fun thing I just noticed - some classes literally can't buy the things on their XP lists! I noticed it specifically with Shinjo Outrider; a number of kata and shuji on their XP lists are a level higher then they can actually purchase. I haven't checked other schools yet, but it's probable they've got it too.

I'm not 100% sure but my interpretation of this is that those schools can get those techniques earlier than normal if they're on their school list. Note that some of the starting techniques are listed as School Rank 2 as well (like all of the Lord x's Techniques).

Edit: Nevermind, not just my interpretation:

page 44 posted:

To purchase an advancement, a character must meet all of its prerequisites or the advancement must be listed in the character’s current school rank.

Advancements that appear in an earlier school rank than their usual prerequisite limitations would allow are marked with special formatting.

The special formatting isn't there, but this seems pretty clear.

Zarick fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 14, 2017

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

ProfessorCirno posted:

Zarick beat me to it on the rules here but did you notice anything else about the Shinjo Outrider? Specifically, that it totally rules? "Reduce ANY check TN by your Rank (wow!), so long as you tell me how your horse 'should' help here." This is gonna be goooooood.

"I want to convince Kisada to give me the ancestral Crab blades." "Uh alright but that's TN 8, a 'legendary' task." *horse makes big, soft eyes at Kisada* "Nice work, Ed-san, looks like I just cleared that easy TN 3 and got me some sick swords."

"I want to jump over the palace." "What? TN like 9, past a legendary feat!" *mounts up, rides to palace, horse jumps, at top of jump rider jumps off (see: Mario and Yoshi)* "Looks like I just jumped over the palace on a totally do-able TN 4"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SuperKlaus posted:

Zarick beat me to it on the rules here but did you notice anything else about the Shinjo Outrider? Specifically, that it totally rules? "Reduce ANY check TN by your Rank (wow!), so long as you tell me how your horse 'should' help here." This is gonna be goooooood.

"I want to convince Kisada to give me the ancestral Crab blades." "Uh alright but that's TN 8, a 'legendary' task." *horse makes big, soft eyes at Kisada* "Nice work, Ed-san, looks like I just cleared that easy TN 3 and got me some sick swords."

"I want to jump over the palace." "What? TN like 9, past a legendary feat!" *mounts up, rides to palace, horse jumps, at top of jump rider jumps off (see: Mario and Yoshi)* "Looks like I just jumped over the palace on a totally do-able TN 4"

Sounds like a feature and not a bug for sure. Just imagine if they had access to Utaku steeds.

Lord_Hambrose fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 14, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea the entire point of that school is 'with my horse I can't be stopped'. If they can justify it hell yea let them use their horses for whatever, because the times when they're off horse they become a lot less useful.

Also the image of some serious and honorable bushi using his horse like Yoshi rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I went to a game con today and bought my second and third cores so i am officially part of the problem now.