Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I hate to break it to you guys but rattling gunners are going to be exactly like warp fire throwers except with armor piercing

Yeah but that's what Death globadiers are basically.

There needs to be a unit type that a dozen rat Jessie Venturas are effective at mowing down better than other units. My vote is air units, because it is a really unique niche and a good way to protect your artillery from getting flanked by swarms of bats, harpies, or prissy rear end unicorns and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Jesus christ, playing Malekith on Hard and not only has Lothern taken a huge lead over everyone on the rituals (they just finished the fourth and are almost at the final one while everyone else is nearing #3 or just started it), they've also unified Ulthuan and are now sending endless archer-spam stacks at me.

When I say archer-spam, I loving mean it: 1 general, 1 bolt thrower, 18 archers (one or two might be sea guard, it varies). That is the only army composition I'm seeing. Cavalry can't get near because they melt. Monsters can't get near because they melt. Infantry can't get near because they melt. All the lords are on Star Dragons. They occasionally bring a mage, but mostly it's archers. Auto-resolve is basically like "holy poo poo gently caress you you're gonna die" so it's endless hand-holding on my part trying to mince ever increasing amounts of archers with varying amounts of success.

The worst part is that it's basically an endless tide of loving knife-ears to murder. I finally kill one archer-spam stack, only to get confronted with TWO MORE THAT ARE SAILING OVER. I can't even reinforce my armies in time, and gently caress trying to intercept on the sea because black arks are useless at combat and autoresolve LOVES archer spam, apparently. Consequently, I can't get anywhere near Ulthuan to stop this poo poo, and I can't make peace with Lothern because they've finished their fourth ritual so now it's permawar against nothing but archers.

I know now what it must have felt like to fight the Mongols.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
In my Mazdamundi game I just finished, they were fielding 5-6 dragons a stack.

The AI on hard or above really likes unit spam, I get why they'd field those stacks given their enormous income but I don't like it. Every Lothern stack was a shitload of dragons and archers and every Naggarond stack was a shitload of black guard, chariots, and dragons. Other than siege defence vs. Chaos and Skaven I just autoresolved those fights cuz gently caress playing them out. I'd rather face down a bunch of balanced stacks instead of this.

Also makes the final battle seem even more underwhelming. I would love to fight a loving tide of skaven. Have the final wave be one good stack and then a fuckload of chaff, just swarm the player. The vortex abilities are really powerful and the elf/lizard stacks are chumps, a decent army on that map could easily face down waves of skaven.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In my Mazdamundi game I just finished, they were fielding 5-6 dragons a stack.

The AI on hard or above really likes unit spam, I get why they'd field those stacks given their enormous income but I don't like it. Every Lothern stack was a shitload of dragons and archers and every Naggarond stack was a shitload of black guard, chariots, and dragons. Other than siege defence vs. Chaos and Skaven I just autoresolved those fights cuz gently caress playing them out. I'd rather face down a bunch of balanced stacks instead of this.

Also makes the final battle seem even more underwhelming. I would love to fight a loving tide of skaven. Have the final wave be one good stack and then a fuckload of chaff, just swarm the player. The vortex abilities are really powerful and the elf/lizard stacks are chumps, a decent army on that map could easily face down waves of skaven.

Did you ever do the Liber Bubonicus quest for Skrolk? Because that quest battle is literally nothing but zombies and bats and it is glorious. Skaven magic and artillery wrecks so much havoc on swarms of chaff that I've joked that the faction Skaven are the most effective against are other Skaven. You basically get to rip through 5,000 zombies and bats to get your book that I hope is written in Skaven braille since Skrolk doesn't even have fuckin eyeballs anymore.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

Panfilo posted:

Did you ever do the Liber Bubonicus quest for Skrolk? Because that quest battle is literally nothing but zombies and bats and it is glorious. Skaven magic and artillery wrecks so much havoc on swarms of chaff that I've joked that the faction Skaven are the most effective against are other Skaven. You basically get to rip through 5,000 zombies and bats to get your book that I hope is written in Skaven braille since Skrolk doesn't even have fuckin eyeballs anymore.

I got like 500 kills off a single cast of Plague during that quest battle, it was beautiful.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
They messed up the unit value determination again for whatever reason even though I thought they'd learned better with warhammer 1 fairly soon after launch. Dragons have a unit value of 9000. Generals/Agents have a value of 4500+ depending on whether they were specc'd for combat or support. Most units a player would actually put in a stack hover around the 3000 range. This is why they general/high-value monster spam.

Archer spam was usually a side-effect of a unit with too low of a value, since they'd then need to use a lot of them to fill the ranged quotient for the stack. That said, I'm not sure the system uses quotients like that any more? Otherwise I'd expect that even with the high values they'd only have like one dragon. So, not quite sure how it works beyond "when I mod the high value numbers or really low value numbers (dogs, bats, horse axes, etc.) to more reasonable levels they stop mindlessly filling stacks".

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If there was ever a Lord Longshanks in Total War: Warhammer, he would be a Skaven Warlord:

Underling: "Should we hurl-hurl poison globes at them, warlord?

Warlord: "Globes cost warpstone. Send in the Skavenslaves. The dead...cost nothing.

*later*

Warlord: "Ok start throwing the poison globes at them now"

Underling: "Yes-Yes warlord...but wont we...uh...hit our own rats?"

Warlord: "Yes! But we'll hit the lizard things too? We have reserves."

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Are Tomb Kings actually confirmed as DLC?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Tosk posted:

I don't think CA have said "we are doing a TKs DLC" but it's pretty obviously going to happen

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Tomb Kings would be so easy to add. The territories/provinces are already there. They could recycle a lot of the skellington models and just make them look more 'egyptian'.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Tomb Kings would be so easy to add. The territories/provinces are already there. They could recycle a lot of the skellington models and just make them look more 'egyptian'.

They said they are doing everything with a 8th edition rulebook.

Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, and Ogre Kingdoms are all confirmed, it's just a when.

The question is what else will be added.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I've always been more of a 40K guy and only tangentially at that, so I am unfamiliar with Warhammer lore and such. Do you guys think Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms are likely main races for TWW3? If not do you guys think that game will probably just explore other bits of Chaos and whatnot? If Tomb Kings are DLC race I wonder what else they'll add to 2 before they move on to the last part of the trilogy.

I am Tosk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Is there some elf thing that just makes doomwheels instantly detonate themselves into fragments? WAs running a seige and winning handily and then the wheel just exploded, like seconds after I ordered it into combat, against a mostly routing enemy.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Tosk posted:

I've always been more of a 40K guy and only tangentially at that, so I am unfamiliar with Warhammer lore and such. Do you guys think Chaos Dwarves and Ogre Kingdoms are likely main races for TWW3? If not do you guys think that game will probably just explore other bits of Chaos and whatnot? If Tomb Kings are DLC race I wonder what else they'll add to 2 before they move on to the last part of the trilogy.

I am Tosk.

Ogres and Chaos Dwarves are basically a shoe in for TWW3 along with Daemons of Chaos.

Tomb Kings are basically a lock for first DLC for TWW2. Anything beyond that for TWW2 is fuzzy. Araby...?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Araby, Amazons and Vampirates are all i'm coming up with as far as non-armybook additions, every thing else is either not on the map (cathay, ind, nippon) or too offensive for CA to ever dig up (pygmies)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Gimme playable Clan Eshin and I don't really care about other factions past that

I guess Chaos Dwarves are pretty cool

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ogres and Chaos Dwarves are basically a shoe in for TWW3 along with Daemons of Chaos.

Tomb Kings are basically a lock for first DLC for TWW2. Anything beyond that for TWW2 is fuzzy. Araby...?

Like what is that game though.

I barely bought WH2 and that was the two Elf races, Skaven, and Lizards in the New World. A strong loving showing. WH1 was the whole Old World, and we slowly got everything playable over time.

If game 3 gets announced and it's just "lol we made a lot of demons." I'm not going to buy it. HEY WE MADE THE CHAOS INVASION BETTER, $60 sounds awful as a pricepoint. Also whatever, I don't mind the current Chaos invasion and CA historically has been awful at making endgame content that's fun to deal with. Not sure I want to shell out $60 for them to make the endgame content "better".

Also like, what's that map like. These are all standalone, you only get the full map if you buy all three. So if you just buy WH3 do you just get the Darklands, with 4 Chaos factions to choose from? That's barely even FotS sized content.

If Game 3 genuinely is just the 4 Chaos forces, it better be sold as a $30 standalone addon to 2 rather then a full sized product.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is there some elf thing that just makes doomwheels instantly detonate themselves into fragments? WAs running a seige and winning handily and then the wheel just exploded, like seconds after I ordered it into combat, against a mostly routing enemy.

Chariots (which I think Doomwheels are classified as) will insta-die if you move them (diagonally?) on stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7mIcexU1k

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah they've done a good job as well on balancing the 'evil' and 'good' factions as well, putting up big showers that people are fans of. I get that some people are fans of Chaos, and while evil, Chaos Dwarves have most magnificent hats. It's just there's not going to be a big 'pop' with what's left army book wise. Kislev, as much as I love them are better suited to being a DLC rather than a head liner I'd think, also given their position on the map and where game 3 would take place. Which is why I basically think they need to flesh out Cathay because something from Warhammer that's never been seen before would certainly be a cool draw.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

*Ogres ride in on the back of woolly Rhinoxs*

Don't worry, we've got this.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Sounds more like a rat thing to me.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Away all Goats posted:

Chariots (which I think Doomwheels are classified as) will insta-die if you move them (diagonally?) on stairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz7mIcexU1k

Ohhhhhhhh well that explains that

That's like even the same exact spot where it happened

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Screenshots

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Wow Swordmasters of Hoeth are dicks. I'm not used to losing more than ten models per unit of Suaruses just yet, and here come these pointy headed assholes sticking around long after their buddies have routed off or been eaten to just wade through my guys without breaking a sweat. Little bastards accounted for 80% of the elf's kills.

Ohhhhhhhh well that explains that

That's like even the same exact spot where it happened

It's not a bug, you just can't grasp the beauty of transcendent Elven architecture or some other incredibly snobbish thing they would say

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Burning skull being changed to a wind spell is such a massive, massive buff to fire it's absurd, it's winds of death level of wiping out a battle line.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Burning skull being changed to a wind spell is such a massive, massive buff to fire it's absurd, it's winds of death level of wiping out a battle line.

Good. Fire should be the best at killing bunches of dudes.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Are cold one riders worth for dark elves? I noticed they're about 30 speed lower than the basic light cab and all I really want is something fast enough to deal with HE archer spam while I burn ulthuan to the ground. AP/anti large is nice but shooting everything with crossbows has covered that niche pretty well so far.

I spent the last 20 turns purging norscans from my continent and oh my god I'm tired of that one bowl snow map.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gitro posted:

Are cold one riders worth for dark elves? I noticed they're about 30 speed lower than the basic light cab and all I really want is something fast enough to deal with HE archer spam while I burn ulthuan to the ground. AP/anti large is nice but shooting everything with crossbows has covered that niche pretty well so far.

I spent the last 20 turns purging norscans from my continent and oh my god I'm tired of that one bowl snow map.

You can get banners and other stuff to boost their speed with but mostly I ignored them in favour of dark riders. You're not going to win a cavalry fight dark elves.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dark Elves are better at just throwing lesser versions of high elfs at the various races. And also their upper tier halberds are pretty easy to get.

And holy gently caress their magic is the poo poo.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Shadows and Fire are pretty good, but I've found the Lore of Dark magic to be dissapointing. What is so great about it? The recharge with Power of Darkness?

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Gitro posted:

I don't particularly like them because the rampage stuff is really annoying; they are pretty durable though, just try not to get them tied up so they lose control.

They're also not that fast so it takes awhile for them to catch up to archers/skirmishers. (Maybe I'm spoiled by dragon princes?)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Shadows and Fire are pretty good, but I've found the Lore of Dark magic to be dissapointing. What is so great about it? The recharge with Power of Darkness?

Whichever lore has the whirling blades vortex and chillwind is A-OK in my book.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies. Avoided getting their chain at t4 in favour of monsters and sorceresses. I figured cold ones wouldn't be great for what I wanted but they couldve been better in play.

Does the flat income from slave pens have the slave or other modifiers apply to it? I have about 4k in Grond and that's a bigger base number than elf sweatshops or w/e they are, but probably not if they don't get a buff.

jokes posted:

Whichever lore has the whirling blades vortex and chillwind is A-OK in my book.

That's Dark.

Blade vortex is a wonderful hellblender

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Yah this is why I have been taking fire over dark as dark elves.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

LordAbaddon posted:

Araby, Amazons and Vampirates are all i'm coming up with as far as non-armybook additions, every thing else is either not on the map (cathay, ind, nippon) or too offensive for CA to ever dig up (pygmies)

Araby would be a great one, since CA can basically pick and choose units from the Medieval 2 Muslim factions and throw in stuff like Djinns, flying carpets and giant scorpions. Amazons I'm not too sure how viable they'd be as a full faction, and Vampirates would be no different to regular Vampires except they'd have cutlasses.

The Southern Realms would be a good source of DLC, with Estalia, Tilea/Dogs of War and maybe the Border Princes, although they are more a loose collection of squabbling villages whose armies are little better then gangs so they're pretty unlikely unless CA are really scraping the barrel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Ugh, the Ultimate Chaos mod for 2 adds 2-3 skill points for every level up, starting at level 1. Guess I won't be playing that mod. I got Morathi to max upkeep reduction, a mount, and into the second spell tree by level 8 or 9.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

MadJackMcJack posted:

Amazons I'm not too sure how viable they'd be as a full faction, and

The one bit of official fluff always agreed upon about the Amazons is 'they had the occasional laser cannon or rocket launcher'

I need this.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

MadJackMcJack posted:

Araby would be a great one, since CA can basically pick and choose units from the Medieval 2 Muslim factions and throw in stuff like Djinns, flying carpets and giant scorpions. Amazons I'm not too sure how viable they'd be as a full faction, and Vampirates would be no different to regular Vampires except they'd have cutlasses.

The Southern Realms would be a good source of DLC, with Estalia, Tilea/Dogs of War and maybe the Border Princes, although they are more a loose collection of squabbling villages whose armies are little better then gangs so they're pretty unlikely unless CA are really scraping the barrel.

Vampire Coast is actually pretty different from regular Vampires, hordes of zombies with pistols, rifles, deck guns, a gigantic cannon, bloated exploding Zombies, Zombie sea monsters, ect. They're basically a shooty army leveraging sheer volume of fire over accuracy. Also I'd say they're pretty much confirmed considering Luthor Harken isn't the faction leader currently.

Really, knowing how CA does things from the first game, they love using their random schlubs as placeholders for DLC. The nobody leading Vampire Coast right now isn't even Harkon's first mate, so that's suspicious. Averlorn being led by some random douche likewise. Itza is a 10 slot province, so one of the Lizardmen characters is going to be starting there.

Amazons OTOH, I don't have much hope for. There's not a single in game reference to them in game that I can remember seeing, and their island in Lustria isn't in the game either. They could show up as part of Dogs of War but anything else seems unlikely at this point.

madmac fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 14, 2017

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017

Tosk posted:

Specifically no, but before even the first game came out, they did confirm that the plan was to implement every faction with an official 8th Edition Book. In the same breath they announced a Bretonnia FreeLC, who hadn't been updated in ages and were out of date enough CA had to pad the roster with units they made up themselves.

CA looves them some DLC so I'm willing to bet if there's enough material to cobble together a faction, they'll let you give them money for it.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

madmac posted:

Itza is a 10 slot province, so one of the Lizardmen characters is going to be starting there.

Itza is Lord Kroak’s city, he’s pretty much guaranteed to be the new lizardmen LL