Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So this dropped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMAo4feHJ5s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like that they included Helga's genius-but-total-trainwreck sister Olga. She was an interesting character due to the whole complex she ended up with surrounding her being the daughter everyone expected everything of, resulting in her freaking out over one B-.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

BioEnchanted posted:

I like that they included Helga's genius-but-total-trainwreck sister Olga. She was an interesting character due to the whole complex she ended up with surrounding her being the daughter everyone expected everything of, resulting in her freaking out over one B-.

Helga and her family were the most interesting part of the show so yeah I'm not surprised they put Olga in. If only they could get her parents involved too, but unfortunately, going on an international trip with Helga would basically go against everything we know about their characters.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ghostfreak's backstory was that he was an alien warlord who ruled over an entire system of universal horror films themed aliens, whose DNA was sentient and able to survive even as a single strand, which he gave to Azimuth so he could take over the Omnitrix from within and become more powerful. Ben didn't try to acquire him, he was in the Omnitrix from the start, escaped, constructed an elaborate plan, and then was reacquired later.

He's the exact opposite of "just a normal alien".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, that was a show that I only saw the odd episode of so never got all the context, so I must have forgotten that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ghostfreak is also still really weird and dangerous by the standards of the Omnitrix aliens, I recall, to the point where Ben tries to avoid using it because he loses control.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

OK I'm a little annoyed - Goosebumps is on Netflix in it's entirety, but no Are You Afraid of the Dark? That sucks.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Ghostfreak is also still really weird and dangerous by the standards of the Omnitrix aliens, I recall, to the point where Ben tries to avoid using it because he loses control.

Didn't he also go from "booga booga sheet ghost" form to something a lot more intimidating upon escape?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
He did.

Also he went to NASA hitched a ride into space so he could make a doomsday weapon that would block out the Sun and turn everyone into shadow people.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

The Bee posted:

Didn't he also go from "booga booga sheet ghost" form to something a lot more intimidating upon escape?

If by something else you mean upside-down skull demon from hell while still wearing the sheet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just started watching through Are You Afraid of the Dark for Halloween as I haven't seen it in years. The first one, the Tale of the Phantom Cab is a cute one. The main characters are pretty poor actors, but Dr Vink is entertaining and the twist with the cab driver is delivered in a fairly funny way ("You might say *snaps his head 180 degrees while driving* I SORTA DIED! :haw:"). I like Dr Vink because he plays alternately creepy and whimsical, like getting all giddy about playing riddles with the protagonists and when they fail to answer and still try to use his phone he suddenly whips out a pair of shears, holds them to the phone line and adds "We play by my rules... or we don't play at all.:stare:" The biggest twist though is that the police actually take the protagonists seriously. They go into the woods in the narrated post-script to find Dr Vink and arrest him, only for there to only be a few stone foundations left where his shack once stood. I kinda like that.

Also they did a decent job trying to misdirect when the cabbie is telling his story, starting with him talking about how he lost his hand to Dr Vink for failing his riddle, although throwing in "40 years ago" to get the audience going "waaaaaaait a minute...", but until he mentions that he had an accident after leaving Vink's place you don't know that Vink found his corpse in the woods and hacked his hand off right then and there, it tries to get you to think he gave his hand when still alive.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 10, 2017

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I routinely will put on an Are You Afraid Of the Dark? just for fun, it's great 90's nostalgia.

I am all about Sardo. No "Mister", accent on the "do"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

El Tortuga posted:

I routinely will put on an Are You Afraid Of the Dark? just for fun, it's great 90's nostalgia.

I am all about Sardo. No "Mister", accent on the "do"

I like that one story had two characters collaborating on telling it, so both their signature characters ended up working together. Sardo and Dr Vink BFFs.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate Ben 10.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Apparently CN is now showing episodes of original Ben 10, so that people can watch the remake and ask what that garbage is.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Man, the VA for Harold has had better days, hasn't he.

BioEnchanted posted:

Just started watching through Are You Afraid of the Dark for Halloween as I haven't seen it in years. The first one, the Tale of the Phantom Cab is a cute one. The main characters are pretty poor actors, but Dr Vink is entertaining and the twist with the cab driver is delivered in a fairly funny way ("You might say *snaps his head 180 degrees while driving* I SORTA DIED! :haw:"). I like Dr Vink because he plays alternately creepy and whimsical, like getting all giddy about playing riddles with the protagonists and when they fail to answer and still try to use his phone he suddenly whips out a pair of shears, holds them to the phone line and adds "We play by my rules... or we don't play at all.:stare:" The biggest twist though is that the police actually take the protagonists seriously. They go into the woods in the narrated post-script to find Dr Vink and arrest him, only for there to only be a few stone foundations left where his shack once stood. I kinda like that.

Also they did a decent job trying to misdirect when the cabbie is telling his story, starting with him talking about how he lost his hand to Dr Vink for failing his riddle, although throwing in "40 years ago" to get the audience going "waaaaaaait a minute...", but until he mentions that he had an accident after leaving Vink's place you don't know that Vink found his corpse in the woods and hacked his hand off right then and there, it tries to get you to think he gave his hand when still alive.

I saw a couple episodes of the first season a good while back (this and the second were the best in the series), and admittedly, the show is not nearly as scary to someone in his early 30s as it was to someone who was still in elementary school, I still think it holds up pretty well. One of the things the early episodes did very well was provide a great, creepy atmosphere, which was unfortunately lost in later seasons. Also, I didn't realize this before, but I think one of the factors that led to the show being reasonably scary was that in many cases, you never actually saw the actual evil entity responsible. For example, in the episode, The Tale of the Dark Music, the demon or whatever that haunted the basement never truly revealed itself, instead, just preferring to talk behind a glowing door. The fact that you didn't know what this thing actually looked like, was in a way scarier than if you did. Also, the music in the show was really great too. Shame everything went to hell later on. :smith:

Since we're on the subject though, what was the deal with the ending to the Tale of the Super Specs. I never understood what that was about.

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Oct 13, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

The Tale of Laughing in the Dark has a great moment right at the start, the episode starts with the story itself, then after the clown is revealed it smashcuts to the camp fire where one of the kids just goes "ALRIGHT, gently caress CLOWNS, I'M OUT!" while hurriedly putting her backpack on and preparing to book it. :3: Also I thought the later seasons had decent episodes, Dead Man's Float terrified me when I was a kid. I also like that Zeebo was really just a thief that got unlucky, the real "monster" of the dummy is entirely manmade. I find that interesting.

The outfits for the kids are more clowny than Zeebo honestly- their shirts are far too big and they are tucked into their shorts making it looks worse. God the 90s were a fashion nightmare. :P

Edit: Final thoughts not it's over - Where the gently caress did a 12 year old boy buy a whole box of Cuban cigars? Nice box too. And the main AYAOTD theme being played out with the circus music version at the end was cute

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 13, 2017

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When people talk about their favorite scary kids shows, it's usually Are You Afraid of the Dark? or Goosebumps. Both are good, but my favorite was So Weird. It's a shame it ended the way it did.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I really liked the Frankie Muniz Cartoon Moville Mysteries, but until recently could never find any episodes anywhere online - that show and the kid's game show "Terror Towers" seemed to have been lost to time.

Terror Towers was aimed at younger kids, with young teens as the contestants in a horror themed take on the Crystal Maze format (Navigate a spooky mansion solving puzzles or physical challenges to collect eyeballs, whichever team got the most eyeballs wins) This was a particular favourite round of 8-year-old me, the nightmare room, because it had a really cool effect: https://youtu.be/HFdzTnOgC_w?t=1118 Super hokey looking back, but it was a blast when I was the target audience.

Moville Mysteries was a surreal episodic Ghostbusters kind of thing, where Mosely Moville (voiced by Frankie Muniz) and his friends Hitch and Mimi went around town investigating weird occurrences. A cute running gag was the conman character who would always try to sell something relevant to the mystery for "10 easy payments of $999.99" which he always vocalised the same way: Nine-NinetyNine-NinetyNine (the dashes are a beat.)

Episode 1: Raider's of the lost Jock Strap - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvxdNDiom0o

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Mraagvpeine posted:

When people talk about their favorite scary kids shows, it's usually Are You Afraid of the Dark? or Goosebumps. Both are good, but my favorite was So Weird. It's a shame it ended the way it did.

Are You Afraid of the Dark is probably still my favorite; the scariest one being the one with the x-ray spectacles. Apartment 214 was also pretty scary, I thought, and I loved the ending because she got a ghost friend that she could hang out with anytime she wanted.

I hated Goosebumps; even as a kid I thought the twists at the end were either predictable or corny as heck, and I'd play a game with myself at the bookstore where I'd read the blurb and try to guess the twist.

On the other hand, I really liked So Weird and I was sad that it ended, IIRC, on a cliffhanger. :(

Edit: I looked it up and... it didn't? Possibly the channel I watched it on didn't have enough episodes and just looped back to the start arbitrarily.

Argue fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 14, 2017

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Argue posted:

Are You Afraid of the Dark is probably still my favorite; the scariest one being the one with the x-ray spectacles.

The Ghastly Grinner had me hosed up well into my teens until I could track down the episode and rewatch it and have a laugh

this is not okay

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I'm not sure what to think about the new Voltron season.
I don't have the same likes and dislikes about the show in general that I see in other discussions of it. I feel like there's not much else like this where it's a cartoon but the tone when it's not humorous is pretty thoughtful. Like the heros actually have carefully thought out plans most of the time, there's settings with pretty original sci fi concepts sometimes, generally when they aren't being funny there's a sober maturity to things.
And I don't mind that the seasons are shorter... I like it when writers have to work with restrictions.

The season had some good positives. Most of the episodes were good stories on their own, one of the non-plot episodes is an ember island players kind of deal where they make fun of some of their own writing issues such as putting characters into boxes, Hunk only mentions food twice and actually does more science than Pidge, finally. And I liked the situation in the last episode.
But some things just annoyed me more than usual. They're all far more spoilers than "there's an ember island players episode", don't read untuil watched. Shiro returns first episode, Keith is in a hole for the rest of the time, and it's not a good character trade. Keith provided some drama that was kind of needed. I liked the finding Matt episode but Matt is a non-character, the team basically now has pidge and cousin pidge.

The part I take the most issue with is Lotor's plot. Yeah, he's going to be the scorpion and going to sting our frogs, and it was necessary for him to fail to get here, but it's so far from where he was last season that the his storyline feels weird and unsatisfying to go from having three super-ships to failing so hard he has to join the good guys to save himself.

All and all this season felt like it had less going on than even the previous half-season. Not going to drop it but just a little conflicted and wanted to talk about it.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm not sure what to think about the new Voltron season.
I don't have the same likes and dislikes about the show in general that I see in other discussions of it. I feel like there's not much else like this where it's a cartoon but the tone when it's not humorous is pretty thoughtful. Like the heros actually have carefully thought out plans most of the time, there's settings with pretty original sci fi concepts sometimes, generally when they aren't being funny there's a sober maturity to things.
And I don't mind that the seasons are shorter... I like it when writers have to work with restrictions.

The season had some good positives. Most of the episodes were good stories on their own, one of the non-plot episodes is an ember island players kind of deal where they make fun of some of their own writing issues such as putting characters into boxes, Hunk only mentions food twice and actually does more science than Pidge, finally. And I liked the situation in the last episode.
But some things just annoyed me more than usual. They're all far more spoilers than "there's an ember island players episode", don't read untuil watched. Shiro returns first episode, Keith is in a hole for the rest of the time, and it's not a good character trade. Keith provided some drama that was kind of needed. I liked the finding Matt episode but Matt is a non-character, the team basically now has pidge and cousin pidge.

The part I take the most issue with is Lotor's plot. Yeah, he's going to be the scorpion and going to sting our frogs, and it was necessary for him to fail to get here, but it's so far from where he was last season that the his storyline feels weird and unsatisfying to go from having three super-ships to failing so hard he has to join the good guys to save himself.

All and all this season felt like it had less going on than even the previous half-season. Not going to drop it but just a little conflicted and wanted to talk about it.

Yeah, it was so weird that, after a season of Keith growing and learning to be a leader, he just immediately leaves the team at the start of this one. I guess it'll lead to something happening with Shiro(there's still that speculation that he's a clone/sleeper agent) and Keith having to return and become the leader but...they kind of already did that last season. I don't know why they'd do that again unless they throw us a curve ball and have someone else lead.

I disagree with Matt just being a taller Pidge, with the way to jokes around and flirted with Allura, he seems more like Lance but smart, which is a bad thing for Lance since he already didn't have much to do this season.

I agree with everything you said about the Lotor plot. I'm also bummed that they killed off the general with the most interesting power.

I feel like they should stop calling these seasons. They're more like story arcs, with this one being about forming the Voltron Alliance and launching the offensive against the Galra.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I just caught up with Voltron this month and I really enjoy it, reminds me of The Last Airbender (And I'm sure the two share a lot of the same talent). I think Season 4 would've flowed better if it was attached to Season 3 like it was originally intended. At the start of Season 3 Lotor does nothing but clown on the new, inexperienced Voltron in every way, I think if they hadn't lost that momentum it would've been more satisfying to see him brought to his lowest point at the climax of the season. I remember reading that it wasn't originally planned for the seasons to be split up so hopefully going forward they've adjusted their story beats.

Also I'm 100% certain that Haggar's cat is the one with the cool powers and Kyrie was just a convenient body to use them through, so maybe she'll get a new body to use in season 5.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Mraagvpeine posted:

I quite liked Eerie, Indiana.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Corzaa posted:

What was that show about and what did you like about it?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mraagvpeine posted:

What was that show about and what did you like about it?
It was basically live-action Gravity Falls, or X-Files/Twilight Zone for kids who just discovered the Mysteries of the Unknown Time Life book series.

A boy and his family move to Eerie, Indiana, which he soon finds out is the Epicenter of Weird for the entire world. Naturally no one else notices anything wrong, like the fact that a family of bigfoots is camping out in the park, or that the Sports teams all have athletes in perfect sync, but he makes a friend and they go out on adventures and meet a might-be-nemesis kid with white hair and and X and - on his hands and John Aston runs a diner.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best episode of Eerie Indiana is the Tupperware episode, even if at the time it featured an out of date concept which is so out of date as to be nonsensical to most people in the form of Tupperware door to door sales.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Voltron new season: Big time agree on the Lotor plot. What in the world were the writers doing with him these last two seasons? Is he a competent schemer pulling one over on his parents? Or is he completely clueless? Don't give him a "smile to the cameras" as he walks away if he's not actually playing fourth dimensional chess, it makes no sense. They have him do all the seemingly random and strange things where he's blatantly attacking the empire and acting in "secret" to carry out his hidden plans, but seemingly he was just being really blatant and making dumb choices the whole time?... What?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
So Weird was X-Files Babies while Afraid was more Outer Limits Babies.

Corzaa posted:

Joe Dante is too good for this world.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

So Weird was X-Files Babies while Afraid was more Outer Limits Babies.

Interesting comparison. What about Goosebumps? Would that one be Tales from the Crypt Babies?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mraagvpeine posted:

? Would that one be Tales from the Crypt Babies?
That was Tales from the Cryptkeeper

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Teek posted:

Voltron new season: Big time agree on the Lotor plot. What in the world were the writers doing with him these last two seasons? Is he a competent schemer pulling one over on his parents? Or is he completely clueless? Don't give him a "smile to the cameras" as he walks away if he's not actually playing fourth dimensional chess, it makes no sense. They have him do all the seemingly random and strange things where he's blatantly attacking the empire and acting in "secret" to carry out his hidden plans, but seemingly he was just being really blatant and making dumb choices the whole time?... What?

I think At that specific point, that's what he wanted - to be ignored off in some corner while he built Evil Voltron with the comet - the thing that ruined his plans was Haggar.. possessing? his general with the cat and hearing his plans. He thought he was safe after having destroyed the already well hidden bug. Then he would have had more time to finish the gateway, as well. I think he just underestimated Haggar, since clearly Zarkon by himself would just have been competely clueless.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 16, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

Interesting comparison. What about Goosebumps? Would that one be Tales from the Crypt Babies?

The VHS tape had bumpers with RL Stine introducing the episode and making lame jokes so it fits.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wolpertinger posted:

I think At that specific point, that's what he wanted - to be ignored off in some corner while he built Evil Voltron with the comet - the thing that ruined his plans was Haggar.. possessing? his general with the cat and hearing his plans. He thought he was safe after having destroyed the already well hidden bug. Then he would have had more time to finish the gateway, as well. I think he just underestimated Haggar, since clearly Zarkon by himself would just have been competely clueless.

Yeah everything went as planned for him. He just underestimated Haggar who found out his plan and told Zarkon ruining everything

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/disneychannelpr/status/920303432451293184

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This trend of Disney making 2D series adaptations of their CG movies feels weird after they've spent the last decade making all of their properties into CG.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well now I need to finally get around to watching that movie.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like they finally realised that CG makes for good movies, but is horrible for TV shows, because new assets are so expensive to make. It's easy to see Sonic Boom and TMNT struggling against the bounds of their budgets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Well now I need to finally get around to watching that movie.

It's a pretty good movie and I came out of it thinking it'd make a good TV series, so I'm content.