Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah it was formed by Devitt, Anderson and Gallows wasn't it? It predated when I regularly started watching New Japan but I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a New Japan creation - I don't think the BC members even got a cut of the merch because it all went to New Japan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Devitt/Anderson/Tama/Fale, but yeah. And if you try to push management about royalties they suddenly don't understand English at all.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Gedo come up with the idea of running an all-gaijin heel stable and told Devitt to come up with a name and hand signal, Devitt came up with something involving guns and Gedo tweaked it to Bullet Club. The group is technically Gedo's creation, just with heavy input from the wrestlers.

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah it was formed by Devitt, Anderson and Gallows wasn't it? It predated when I regularly started watching New Japan but I'm pretty sure the entire thing is a New Japan creation - I don't think the BC members even got a cut of the merch because it all went to New Japan?

Devitt turned on Taguchi to break up Apollo 55 after they lost a Jr. tag title match when Taguchi took the pin, and then the at-the-time King Fale showed up, Samoan Dropped the Jrs and became Devitt's "bouncer" Bad Luck Fale. A few weeks later, they came out and attacked Tanahashi after Tanahashi beat Anderson in a match, Anderson joined the group, and I think Tama Tonga also joined at the same time and I swear to god he came up with "The Bad Boy" off the top of his head in the post-match interview when Devitt is struggling to think of a nickname for him and Tama just yells "I'M THE BAD BOY"

Eventually Gallows joined up, then the Young Bucks. Then Devitt left for the US, they had the Bucks kick him out, AJ was brought in, Yujiro joined to help AJ win or defend the title by turning on CHAOS and Okada, Kenny got added to the group, Captain New Japan became Bone Soldier, Cody Hall became their young boy somewhere in there, AJ took the WWE offer and Gedo went "gently caress" and said "Kenny, we're making you a heavyweight and putting you at the front of Bullet Club", AJ was kicked from the group by Kenny to cement Kenny as the new leader, Cody got his neck busted up in a freak accident catching one of the Bucks in a dive (it's a ridiculous image given the keeping kayfabe aspect of the promotion, because you see literally everyone else involved - which was like four or five people - in that spot realize Cody's hosed immediately and ask him "poo poo dude can you move, are you okay, don't try to do anything if you can't feel your arms and legs") and eventually got let go by New Japan, Cody Rhodes got brought in after leaving WWE and they were building to Kenny getting kicked out by Cody at some point but now that Cody signed the ROH deal that seemed to have hit the brakes and it'll probably eventually be Tonga, who also inducted Big Little Bro Leo Tonga into the group after Destruction in Fukushima in a weirdly heartwarming moment where the big bros gave their giant little bro the tee shirt. Also somewhere in all of that joining spree Roa came in and Guerrillas of Destiny was formed. Also Haku is their legend inductee, Don Callis is an unofficial member sorta, the Bucks would love for Nash/Hall/Hogan to walk them to the ring one Wrestle Kingdom someday, and Edge & Christian have said they'd be willing to be corner men for Kenny if he asked (because Winnipeg), which would, I assume, require them to be honorary Bullet Club members as well. Then there's ROH guys like Hangman Page and Adam Cole, Chase Owens popping up from time to time, and uh,

The Aristocrats!

I am so sure I am missing people or got something mixed up, Bullet Club is like 35% an nWo in terms of comings and goings at this point (compared to CHAOS, which is like 60% an nWo; loving Naito was in the group at one point when he and Yujiro were No Limit!)

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 14, 2017

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Don Callis as the Bullet Club commentary member is pretty great. He does a great job openly shilling for BC while still putting over everybody else in various ways like saying Okada is too good for Gedo or just bolting if Suzuki is in the same zip code as him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

My favorite bit is Suzuki scares the poo poo out of Kelly and Callis, and immediately afterwards TAKA is just like "hey guys what's up" because the three of them go back twenty years.

Also Naito hating Callis strictly because Naito was friends with Corino and Callis just isn't him.

That and when you can tell the two of them are legitimately marking out over matches, which has been quite often over this spectacular loving year.

It's amazing how fast those two clicked and became a reasonable (but still lesser because there's no Milano equivalent to scream "RAINMAKAAAAAAH" or "NAGATAAAAAAA") alternative to the native language commentary. Like, they were shaky for New Beginning but by Sakura Genesis it's like they worked the table together for years.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Cameo posted:

Gedo come up with the idea of running an all-gaijin heel stable and told Devitt to come up with a name and hand signal, Devitt came up with something involving guns and Gedo tweaked it to Bullet Club. The group is technically Gedo's creation, just with heavy input from the wrestlers.

Devitt turned on Taguchi to break up Apollo 55 after they lost a Jr. tag title match when Taguchi took the pin, and then the at-the-time King Fale showed up, Samoan Dropped the Jrs and became Devitt's "bouncer" Bad Luck Fale. A few weeks later, they came out and attacked Tanahashi after Tanahashi beat Anderson in a match, Anderson joined the group, and I think Tama Tonga also joined at the same time and I swear to god he came up with "The Bad Boy" off the top of his head in the post-match interview when Devitt is struggling to think of a nickname for him and Tama just yells "I'M THE BAD BOY"

Eventually Gallows joined up, then the Young Bucks. Then Devitt left for the US, they had the Bucks kick him out, AJ was brought in, Yujiro joined to help AJ win or defend the title by turning on CHAOS and Okada, Kenny got added to the group, Captain New Japan became Bone Soldier, Cody Hall became their young boy somewhere in there, AJ took the WWE offer and Gedo went "gently caress" and said "Kenny, we're making you a heavyweight and putting you at the front of Bullet Club", AJ was kicked from the group by Kenny to cement Kenny as the new leader, Cody got his neck busted up in a freak accident catching one of the Bucks in a dive (it's a ridiculous image given the keeping kayfabe aspect of the promotion, because you see literally everyone else involved - which was like four or five people - in that spot realize Cody's hosed immediately and ask him "poo poo dude can you move, are you okay, don't try to do anything if you can't feel your arms and legs") and eventually got let go by New Japan, Cody Rhodes got brought in after leaving WWE and they were building to Kenny getting kicked out by Cody at some point but now that Cody signed the ROH deal that seemed to have hit the brakes and it'll probably eventually be Tonga, who also inducted Big Little Bro Leo Tonga into the group after Destruction in Fukushima in a weirdly heartwarming moment where the big bros gave their giant little bro the tee shirt. Also somewhere in all of that joining spree Roa came in and Guerrillas of Destiny was formed. Also Haku is their legend inductee, Don Callis is an unofficial member sorta, the Bucks would love for Nash/Hall/Hogan to walk them to the ring one Wrestle Kingdom someday, and Edge & Christian have said they'd be willing to be corner men for Kenny if he asked (because Winnipeg), which would, I assume, require them to be honorary Bullet Club members as well. Then there's ROH guys like Hangman Page and Adam Cole, Chase Owens popping up from time to time, and uh,

The Aristocrats!

I am so sure I am missing people or got something mixed up, Bullet Club is like 35% an nWo in terms of comings and goings at this point (compared to CHAOS, which is like 60% an nWo; loving Naito was in the group at one point when he and Yujiro were No Limit!)

Also Jeff Jarrett.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Not a huge fan of Kelly/Callis but the English commentary could of ended up so much worse. They could have stuck with Striker who did the Wrestle Kingdom 9 and 10 PPV or still could have Yoshitatsu at the table.. All of which would be the worst thing ever

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Cameo posted:

(but still lesser because there's no Milano equivalent to scream "RAINMAKAAAAAAH" or "NAGATAAAAAAA")

EVERYTHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah I never used to listen to the English commentary but I generally enjoy listening to it now for everything except for the big main events when I wanna hear the Japanese commentators losing their minds - even then I'll switch back post-match to see if they have a translation for what is being said in the interviews.

When it's just Kelly by himself it's pretty dull though, so I was glad for that show where Rocky Romero was in an early match then jumped into the commentary booth for the rest of the show.

The Cameo posted:

Bullet Club history

Thanks for this, I'd forgotten a bunch of stuff that I'd seen as well and it was neat seeing it all laid out like that. I completely forgot Cody Hall was their Young Boy for awhile. He's still in Japan, just wrestling for a different company, right?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for this, I'd forgotten a bunch of stuff that I'd seen as well and it was neat seeing it all laid out like that. I completely forgot Cody Hall was their Young Boy for awhile. He's still in Japan, just wrestling for a different company, right?

Apparently he's in NOAH now. Wasn't he considered a hot up-and-coming prospect at one time? I swear I didn't make that up in my head.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I remember Scott Hall being really high on him, for obvious reasons, and he certainly had a look that made you sit up and take notice because he was such a huge dude. I don't recall him being anything particularly special in the ring though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Part of me is surprised that Hunter didn't already scoop him up to go be a jobber at NXT house shows as a favor to Scott. But if there ever was a window, the injury probably closed it for good.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Benne posted:

Apparently he's in NOAH now. Wasn't he considered a hot up-and-coming prospect at one time? I swear I didn't make that up in my head.

cody wasn't ever a top prospect. and he managed to piss everyone off before he got hurt. annnnd i don't watch noah, but people who do have said he's been bleh

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Excuse me but Cody Hall has had a shot at the highly prestigious GFW Global Championship while in NOAH. You don't see the likes of Chase Owens with that on their CV.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

The Cameo posted:

My favorite bit is Suzuki scares the poo poo out of Kelly and Callis, and immediately afterwards TAKA is just like "hey guys what's up" because the three of them go back twenty years.

The best TAKA moment was when he demanded that Kevin Kelly start speaking Japanese on commentary.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Baron Corbyn posted:

https://twitter.com/toshanshuinLA/status/918945035349086210

Can anyone in Japan confirm whether or not the Japanese press are saying ROH is the reason NJPW is so good?

This probably doesn't need saying, but: ahahahahaha no.

e: Marty, Cody, etc. have plenty of fans in Japan but this person is... really, really overestimating how they measure up to more homegrown talent in terms of popularity. Nobody here is batting much of an eye at Marty and (ROH world champion) Cody getting teamed up with the one solitary gaijin who enjoys Okada/Tanahashi/Naito levels of excitement and being sent off against a trio that includes Jado and Yoshi-Hashi at a major event. Kinda says it all.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Oct 14, 2017

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Okada is coming to Melbourne City Wrestling in November. I am dead.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The ROH title match is the piss-break match at previous WKs, if that helps to answer any questions.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

harperdc posted:

The ROH title match is the piss-break match at previous WKs, if that helps to answer any questions.

Not true.

The Cody match is the piss-break match.

This time they converge though!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I asked this a while back in here and someone said they had it, but I forgot to chase it up or something like that. Does anyone in here know where I can find the YTR VTR DVDs with Yottsume subtitles? I know you can't buy them anymore because Yottsume got chased away, but I remember there being a Dailymotion upload or something like that of them somewhere that I watched once? I wouldn't ask if they were easy to find, and it is totally unavailable elsewhere in a way English only fans can watch.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I've seen Daryl in person, I can die a happy man now.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Johnny Landmine posted:

This probably doesn't need saying, but: ahahahahaha no.

e: Marty, Cody, etc. have plenty of fans in Japan but this person is... really, really overestimating how they measure up to more homegrown talent in terms of popularity. Nobody here is batting much of an eye at Marty and (ROH world champion) Cody getting teamed up with the one solitary gaijin who enjoys Okada/Tanahashi/Naito levels of excitement and being sent off against a trio that includes Jado and Yoshi-Hashi at a major event. Kinda says it all.

so what you're saying is clearly, this man is delirious

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I got to hold Daryl

Best $20 I’ve ever spent

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

When did Ospreay start acting like a cat? What was behind it? Was it just to mess with Hiromu's head?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Cause Hiromu called him a cat

https://twitter.com/TIMEBOMB1105/status/906192807022362624

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

exploded mummy posted:

so what you're saying is clearly, this man is delirious

I honestly can't think of any way a person in his position could even pose the question unless he's either delirious or speaking in kayfabe as a promoter with delusions of grandeur

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
im just watching random stuff from mr lariato's njpw spreadsheet and man, golden lovers was such a good tag team.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Delirious and Joe Koff frequently fall off the same wagon together.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

That is about the best lineup reasonably possible, hope Atlantis can make it.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Thauros posted:

That is about the best lineup reasonably possible, hope Atlantis can make it.

Only bummers are that Titan and Hechicero are off the tour this year. Lots of new faces though.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Titan at least getting a jr tag league spot

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEq7YrxmVjw

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
:vince:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hiromu for leader of LIJ.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Why isn't Power Struggle being broadcast in English?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It is? Kevin Kelly booked his tickets for it yesterday. I don't know if Callis is flying out for it, though.

The Road To shows aren't in English, though, which you might be mistaking the actual show for since they made the loving "Road To" part of the logo as tiny as possible. Power Struggle isn't until the 5th.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
When you have the time check it out: https://twitter.com/ShowbuckleVids/status/921468407828037633

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

This is a great video, especially if you came into NJPW recently and aren't familiar with Naito's pre-LIJ career. Thumbs up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nagata and Nakanishi's anniversary show is tomorrow and is going to be on NJPW World, tho tbh it's not really a particularly noteworthy card aside from the main.

Road to Power Struggle
October 21st at 6:00 EDT/11:00 GMT
Togane Arena, Chiba

Katsuya Kitamura and Tomoyuki Oka vs. Bullet Club (Yujiro Takahashi and Leo Tonga)
Syota Umino, Tetsuhiro Yagi, and Ren Narita vs. Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Desperado, and Kanemaru)
Liger, TMIV, Dragon Lee, and Titan vs. Taguchi Japan (Taguchi, ACH, KUSHIDA, and Hirai Kawato)
CHAOS (Hirooki Goto, Toru Yano, and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki, Takashi Iizuka, and TAKA Michinoku)
Hiroshi Tanahashi and TenCozy vs. Kota Ibushi, Juice Robinson, and David Finlay
CHAOS (Okada, Ishii, SHO, YOH, and Gedo) vs. L.I.J
Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi 25th Anniversary:Yuji Nagata vs. Manabu Nakanishi

• Locked thread