Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

MisterBibs posted:

I wonder if the fact that the Union just captured a friggin' Krill Battleship is going to come up later. They were collectively excited about having an intact shuttle, having a high-end ship'll make em go bonkers.
I hope Victor Garber shows up again and plays a visibly impressed admiral. Since he expected Mercer to be incompetent, and here he hauls an enemy battlecruiser back home.

In TNG et al, the extraordinary feats always came over as "Eh, it's your job" by admiralty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Digital Jedi posted:

I hope we see Bortus eat nails at some point.

I hope we see him just casually eating a bag of nails, since it's become his favorite food.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Davros1 posted:

I hope we see him just casually eating a bag of nails, since it's become his favorite food.

"Ugh? is this a screw? Disgusting."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kurieg posted:

"Ugh? is this a screw? Disgusting."

Make him put it in tuna.

Do it now.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

evilmiera posted:

That might just be a fan theory but holy hell it makes total sense. Especially given what we learn about moklans that one episode with their kid.

I am suddenly imagining an episode where moklans are becoming addicted to human food, played for laughs at first until it brings up ideas of injecting addictive elements into foreign cultures. It will end up with them strung out on cheeseburgers like Randy from Trailer Park Boys.

"Ah, Ecto Cooler. A warrior's drink."

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
I took the head scratch as just what Krill heads were like if they were scratched like that. They could be rubbery keratine bands or something, we've no reason to think it's a solid skull or whatever.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vitamin P posted:

I took the head scratch as just what Krill heads were like if they were scratched like that. They could be rubbery keratine bands or something, we've no reason to think it's a solid skull or whatever.

We certainly know little enough to interpret that scene different ways.

I thought that big negative effortpost was a joke for a moment when I saw the part about alien prosthetics looking bad. They all look pretty drat top shelf.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vitamin P posted:

I thought it was a joke and they were riffing on their B qualify scifi/TNG style makeup!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

A good doggo.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
I was talking to a friend of mine about that, and we were both chortling heartily that both Orville and STD have enemies that wear full-face prosthetics, and the one on network television that is undoubtedly cheaper has better ones that are much easier to act and emote through. I was really impressed by that.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

- The show is constantly switching between being all wacky and funny and being a serious show about serious stuff like morality, ethics, etc. This just doesn't blend very well for me. TNG was always a serious show and American Dad was always wacky, even when they were tackling serious themes. I don't know if you can really mix these two things together in a good way.

You watched a different TNG than me.

quote:

It's really a shame that this had to be a MacFarlane project.
You say that as though it's not MacFarlane's love of trek that's fueling the best parts of this show.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

How dare that guy who made a thing i don't like make a thing i like :argh:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Essentially that's how a Jewish fan of Hitler's art must feel

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Caufman posted:

Essentially that's how a Jewish fan of Hitler's art must feel

Well except that MacFarlane made some tasteless cartoons, instead of killing 10 million people, but apart from that little distinction -- yeah, exactly the same!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I said essentially, not in equal magnitudes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Caufman posted:

I said essentially, not in equal magnitudes.

Yeah that's a difference in kind, not magnitude. Holy poo poo

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

No TNG did exactly the same thing. This episode was almost a parody of Face of the Enemy.

Face of the Enemy was a parody of The Enterprise Incident though!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITjPZaVBb8I

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Yeah that's a difference in kind, not magnitude. Holy poo poo

I apologetically retract my joke.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Caufman posted:

I apologetically retract my joke.

Maybe now you understand how someone can make tastless and bad jokes but also not be a complete monster and also make good things.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I understand that much better now and hope others learn from my error.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Snak posted:

Maybe now you understand how someone can make tastless and bad jokes but also not be a complete monster and also make good things.

:perfect:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given how wronged some people act when they hear the McFarlane name, Caufman's joke is pretty apt.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress are you people doing in this thread? Learning from your mistakes and becoming better people?! What the hell?

e: to clarify, everything about this show even the discussion around it warms my heart. According to CBS ideally you're supposed to be brooding about committing war crimes or something

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 14, 2017

Caros
May 14, 2008

Tighclops posted:

What the gently caress are you people doing in this thread? Learning from your mistakes and becoming better people?! What the hell?

e: to clarify, everything about this show even the discussion around it warms my heart. According to CBS ideally you're supposed to be brooding about committing war crimes or something

And debating the morality of nippleclamping a bug for interstellar travel.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That was a great episode. Very nice to see some mostly solid competence from the crew. The Mercer Maneuver was a pretty good bit of tactical thinking. The mission was both a tremendous success and a failure at the same time.

A tremendous success because they not only got the copy of the holy book they were sent for, but they also went beyond their expected mission parameters and prevented the destruction of a union colony and they captured an intact Krill destroyer. ...But at the same time, the mission was also somewhat of a failure, because the intended goal was to get a copy of the holy book as a way to try and find a path to peace. Instead, it ended up making the goal of peace harder to reach. I certainly wouldn't blame the Krill teacher and the kids if their hostility towards humans only increased, even though I don't think Mercer did anything wrong.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tighclops posted:

I always thought Star Trek-like shows made people into worse folks but somehow this is not turning out to be true. More subverted expectations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought it was a nice touch that Grimes was drinking a beer with lunch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

evilmiera posted:

I always thought Star Trek-like shows made people into worse folks but somehow this is not turning out to be true. More subverted expectations.

I don't think it makes people worse, but it does seem to attract really terrible people who take the entirely wrong message.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People with terrible views seek good things out because they're good, then ruin it by imagining it's good because of things they think are good, which are actually bad things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess maybe he could have tried to find a light level that would instead incapacitate them and then capture them all, but it would be guesswork and highly risky.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I guess maybe he could have tried to find a light level that would instead incapacitate them and then capture them all, but it would be guesswork and highly risky.

Also, they didn't set the lights to a specific existing setting, they only got them to do that by overloading them. It's possible that setting high enough to incapacitate simply wasn't an option from an engineering perspective.

I think this was the best episode yet. It had a really solid and well-executed story, we got some good character development for Mercer, and the humor seemed the most well integrated yet.

The shot of the Krill destroyer facing off against the tiny Orville is straight out of The Neutral Zone and first reveal of the TNG Romulan Warbird.

The ship design in this is really good. I dig that Union ships have a curvy organic look that's normally reserved for alien designs in scifi.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think pretty soon we'll need to see the Krill actually successfully destroy a union vessel though. Right now they're pretty toothless, though they basically incapacitated the Orville in the first episode, it seems like it was a lot harder than it should have been for the class mismatch

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

TNG was always a serious show

Tighclops posted:

According to CBS ideally you're supposed to be brooding about committing war crimes or something

The lesson from Discovery is that sometimes war crimes are cool, but you still have to remember to feel super bad about them afterward.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Snak posted:

Also, they didn't set the lights to a specific existing setting, they only got them to do that by overloading them. It's possible that setting high enough to incapacitate simply wasn't an option from an engineering perspective.

That makes more sense. Like overloading an HVAC component to attack humans' delicate lungs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know, the food gag in the cold open subtly relates to the climax with the lights.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

That makes more sense. Like overloading an HVAC component to attack humans' delicate lungs

I assume this is a joke, but sabotaging an HVAC to distribute freon gas could incapacitate people, but it would be impossible to accurately control the density of freon gas being dispersed.

Certainly agreed that we need to see the Krill actually be badasses soon in order to give weight to this conflict.

Edit: ^ holy poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The Krill have been shown to be a pretty formidable adversary. In the conflicts shown so far, The Orville only wins through some clever tactics that just barely save them. They have a tree grow really big and cripple a ship, someone notices a weakness they can exploit, and then the captain quickly devises a tactic that will take the other ship out. They didn't have an outright advantage in any of those situations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arglebargle III posted:

You know, the food gag in the cold open subtly relates to the climax with the lights.

Could you spell it out? I'm dumb apparently.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I can't figure it out either. Is it that different species react differently to things? Because that's a bit of a stretch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's discussion of how his species adapted to their environment, which plays out in how Mercer and Malloy defeat the Krill.