Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Rhyno posted:

Yet another reason to buy used.

There is exactly 1 blue FiST within 300 miles of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FBS posted:

There is exactly 1 blue FiST within 300 miles of me.

There's like five blue with Recaro's and te closest to me has got higher miles and a higher sticker than a identically equipped 2016 in black.

Edit: One available nationwide in blue with the options I want. Pricier than the average 2016 identically equipped but in black. I guess blue is a premium color?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...delCode1=FIESTA

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 15, 2017

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The one thing I wish I had done differently is holding out for the blue. I like the black just fine, but every time I see a blue one I feel a bit of regret.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

Gentlemen of taste, refinement, luxury.

Women want us, men want to be us.
I didn't even want the blue to begin with until I came across this one used. It ended up growing on me.

$14k for a 2015 with 10k miles. No recaros.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
If we're talking about Performance Blue FiSTs I figured I should post mine from right after I dipped my wheels this summer. Those wheels are now a nice shade of Brake Dust Grey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
drat. Blue with white wheels is the best combo. A shame blue commands a premium.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Rhyno posted:

drat. Blue with white wheels is the best combo. A shame blue commands a premium.

I'll be sure to post a picture of my RS with it's winter wheels. Nitrous blue with white plasti-dipped ST wheels.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like the Fiesta blue more than the RS blue.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
those white wheels look hot, but with the amount of brake dust that seems to collect on just the stock wheels, I feel like id be wiping em down daily.

love the sonic plate too, it just works with the rocket go kart

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
With my black wheels I sometimes forget that they’re glossy. I’ve gotten so used to the dust that the car almost looks weird right after a wash.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Finally got my konigs mounted up

So the offset of these wheels is 10mm outward from the stock wheels and i had to use spacers up front for another 10mm, total distance out is now 20mm from stock with 235 tires instead of 225

Honestly its kinda a bummer they stick out so much up front...not sure i like the final result.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
The stick out doesn't look too bad to me. Moreso just the fact that those styled wheels with those chunky tires and stock ride height make it look like you're running 14 inch baby wheels. If it was lowered about an inch would probably greatly help since you'd get rid of most of that fender/wheel gap.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Test drove a FiST today and I think it cured my desire to buy one right now. I fit in it fine, it shifted nice, the engine was pretty strong. It just didn't feel very special. When I got back into my car I had to admit to myself that I wasn't really willing to sign up for another loan for $6-8k more than the Mazda 3 is worth so that I could drive the Fiesta instead.

This almost certainly means I didn't drive it hard enough on the test drive. I drove it about the same way I drive to work and it just didn't do enough for me. :shrug:

I think if I totaled the Mazda tomorrow I would buy one, though.

Electric Pigeon
Aug 14, 2008

FBS posted:

This almost certainly means I didn't drive it hard enough on the test drive. I drove it about the same way I drive to work and it just didn't do enough for me. :shrug:

My friend and I had similar experiences. He tested one on a whim and thought it wasn't rude enough, and the first time I drove one I preferred the FoST. I had to find an abandoned Meijer's lot before I could get up in it enough to really fall in love. So if you never will have a chance to go hard, its chassis and harmony are kind of moot.

Also I took that friend around a couple times, and he refused to take the wheel. He doesn't want a car payment and knows he won't be able to resist.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
It took me til my third test drive. That's the one that I got the car to myself with no salesman in it :getin:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I'm already halfway through talking myself back into it lol

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

FBS posted:

I'm already halfway through talking myself back into it lol

On my test drive, the salesman took me out and proceeded to get the FiST extremely sideways on the very first corner we took from the dealership after he disabled traction control. It was fun as poo poo and I bought one two hours later after my own test drive, I made them trade the one he drove like a moron for a different one at a sister dealership that had more options. Drove mine for 36k miles, only maintenance was oil changes and rear brake rotors/pads. Throw a downpipe, intercooler and a tune at it and it's a riot. I understand the 2017+ has even shorter gearing than the 2015/16, I missed those short gears so much when I picked up my manual GTI.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I just walked up to get a test drive and got a brand-new salesman who didn't know the inventory very well. I also wonder if the car had premium gas in it.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Coolnezzz posted:

I missed those short gears so much when I picked up my manual GTI.

It's not something that bothers me at all, but the gearing on them is absolutely ridiculously long.

A friend's brother money shifted his in 3rd and I couldn't comprehend how he did that unless he was doing like 120 or something. That was exactly what happened.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

100% Dundee posted:

The stick out doesn't look too bad to me. Moreso just the fact that those styled wheels with those chunky tires and stock ride height make it look like you're running 14 inch baby wheels. If it was lowered about an inch would probably greatly help since you'd get rid of most of that fender/wheel gap.

i'm only not keen on the wheels sticking out so much because i dunno if they'll hit the fender under cornering

not sure i'll lower it yet

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Time to find a place to flex the thing out to see if you have enough camber to clear the tires before you find out the hard way :v:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
yeah you should definitely turn off the traction control and find a somewhat deserted parking lot or street

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

fknlo posted:

It's not something that bothers me at all, but the gearing on them is absolutely ridiculously long.

A friend's brother money shifted his in 3rd and I couldn't comprehend how he did that unless he was doing like 120 or something. That was exactly what happened.

Coming from a '13 Speed3 to a '16 GTI, I still find myself clutching out of 2nd and 3rd in traffic because its a circumstance in which I would've had to downshift in my Speed3. Then I'll end up not downshifting and clutch back into the exact same gear a few seconds later because the gears are so long. It is nice having a first gear that goes past like 20, though.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
The gearing in the Speed is pretty funny - fairly short gearing until 5 and then 6 is HUGE. 70mph idling.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

The gearing in the Speed is pretty funny - fairly short gearing until 5 and then 6 is HUGE. 70mph idling.

That's something I'd love.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I never considered sixth super tall in my MS3. Maybe 2500ish around 70mph?

Now my C5 on the other hand, that thing truly does nearly idle on the highway. Pretty sure in sixth 70mph is no more than 1500rpm.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

opengl128 posted:

I never considered sixth super tall in my MS3. Maybe 2500ish around 70mph?

Yeah my first gen was about that - it was actually about the same as my current model 3 with the 2.5 and MT

I think they changed the gearing a bit second gen speeds though

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

My 05 Scion xB finally died on me so I went and picked up a 2015 GTI Autobahn last night.

I love it. The difference in power and handling was, uh, pretty stark.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

dissss posted:

Yeah my first gen was about that - it was actually about the same as my current model 3 with the 2.5 and MT

I think they changed the gearing a bit second gen speeds though

Mine's a Gen1. I dunno, 6th feels loving huge to me compared to the rest of the gearing.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

In my 2011 non speed 3 5 and 6 are so close it's almost pointless for it to be a six speed. Like if four were slightly longer then five was the ratio of six it'd drive the same. I end up skipping fifth a lot at moderate speeds anyway. Dumb.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Focus ST 6th gear seems pretty close to 5th as well- like 2500 at 70 in 6th so it seems like 6th could be a little taller. Might be they wanted you to be able to accelerate and pass easily w/o shifting gears on the highway or something.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

I can't get the FiST out of my head

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Mine's a Gen1. I dunno, 6th feels loving huge to me compared to the rest of the gearing.

I've heard that the Gen 2 MS3's have longer gearing. Mine feels about perfect. The spacing betweens the gears seems sane and 6th is acceptably deep for a 4 cylinder.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

FBS posted:

I can't get the FiST out of my head

Cobb tune for 91, the new rear motor mount, and new intake and it’s a fuckin dream. I love this stupid hamster car.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Hypothetically, am I going to notice any handling differences, negative or otherwise, if I go to 16 inch wheels on my FiST? Logically if I keep the same rolling diameter there will be more sidewall and so more flex, which would be bad, right?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

mattdev posted:

Cobb tune for 91, the new rear motor mount, and new intake and it’s a fuckin dream. I love this stupid hamster car.

does the intake make cool wooshy noises?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Hypothetically, am I going to notice any handling differences, negative or otherwise, if I go to 16 inch wheels on my FiST? Logically if I keep the same rolling diameter there will be more sidewall and so more flex, which would be bad, right?

In theory, but in practice not really. I've got 16x7 wheels with 205/50/16 and it doesn't feel very different. It does absorb some of the potholes and ridges on Michigan roads a bit better though due to having more sidewall.

Bear in mind 205/50/16 is a touch bigger diameter than stock, so if you are lowered or plan to you may run into rubbing issues. No rubs on stock suspension.

mattdev
Sep 30, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

does the intake make cool wooshy noises?

Could be swooshier but it’s p cool.

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

MourningGlory posted:

I've heard that the Gen 2 MS3's have longer gearing. Mine feels about perfect. The spacing betweens the gears seems sane and 6th is acceptably deep for a 4 cylinder.

Spacing was fine on my Gen 2, for what it's worth. It's just nice to only have to shift twice on the way to 60. And being able to use 3rd gear at higher speeds.

Stale Saltines posted:

My 05 Scion xB finally died on me so I went and picked up a 2015 GTI Autobahn last night.

I love it. The difference in power and handling was, uh, pretty stark.

Check out the JB1 and notice even more starkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tantric
Dec 4, 2003

Monkey Fracas posted:

Focus ST 6th gear seems pretty close to 5th as well- like 2500 at 70 in 6th so it seems like 6th could be a little taller. Might be they wanted you to be able to accelerate and pass easily w/o shifting gears on the highway or something.

My normal interstate speeds are 85-87 (no one lives in South Dakota) so I would really like a higher gear in 6th. 3200 rpm cruising is a bit much. The small gap between 5th and 6th doesnt make sense. 5th should be for 55-65 if they want to pass in that range. One of my few complaints about the car.