Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

Even so, it would be really nice if there were some method of defense from the client side, otherwise you're not going to be able to connect to a Starbucks' or a hotel's wifi network until WPA3.
Use OpenVPN or L2TP/IPsec VPN (both with DNS sent through the tunnel) for any public hotspots, regardless of whether they have security or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The video demo is out for the WPA2 attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4WURZoR98

I'm potentially being dumb here, but it looks like it forces the client to connect to a rogue AP in order for the capture of the traffic to work. Hasn't that been a possibility for a while?

The second part of the video is a MitM downgrade of SSL which presumably HSTS would prevent, assuming the browser isn't broken.

Edit: Maybe I've missed the point and the rogue AP is only used to gently caress with the handshake.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Oct 16, 2017

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Thanks Ants posted:

The video demo is out for the WPA2 attack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4WURZoR98

I'm potentially being dumb here, but it looks like it forces the client to connect to a rogue AP in order for the capture of the traffic to work. Hasn't that been a possibility for a while?

The second part of the video is a MitM downgrade of SSL which presumably HSTS would prevent, assuming the browser isn't broken.

Edit: Maybe I've missed the point and the rogue AP is only used to gently caress with the handshake.

He used an Android device for this - this isn’t an Android-specific bug is it?

Also does this allow the hacker to steal the network’s PSK?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The paper shows Android to be vulnerable in a way that Windows isn't, as it will accept a load of zeros as the key.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Thanks Ants posted:

The paper shows Android to be vulnerable in a way that Windows isn't, as it will accept a load of zeros as the key.

Are modern iOS devices vulnerable? Like I said too you can fiddle with traffic but you can’t get the PSK in plaintext right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Good morning what should I be working on this w- what the gently caress

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Oct 16, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Are modern iOS devices vulnerable? Like I said too you can fiddle with traffic but you can’t get the PSK in plaintext right?

Everything using WPA2 is vulnerable to the attacks. New versions of Linux just make it extra trivial because of a flaw in wpa_supplicant.

Website for the attack is up: https://www.krackattacks.com/

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Debian already pushed patches to stable. I haven't checked OpenWRT but it shouldn't take long, right? And then the only people affected will be the 99.9% who never flash their firmware, use the wifi router their ISP give/lease them when they sign up, etc.?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rectus posted:

Everything using WPA2 is vulnerable to the attacks. New versions of Linux just make it extra trivial because of a flaw in wpa_supplicant.

Well drat. Exposing the PSK is especially bad.

EDIT: article doesn’t mention compromising the PSK itself? As in someone being able to hop onto a network as a separate device? :confused:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 16, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Three-Phase posted:

EDIT: article doesn’t mention compromising the PSK itself? As in someone being able to hop onto a network as a separate device? :confused:

Article explicitly says that the PSK isn’t compromised.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Three-Phase posted:

Sorry, missed the PSK part in your question.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Subjunctive posted:

Article explicitly says that the PSK isn’t compromised.

Ok, well at least that’s one ray of shnshine. I missed that in the article.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Rectus posted:

Reading through this, it’s bad, but not as bad as I thought (in that it mainly seems to require fixes on the client side only unless you’re implementing some specific features).

Other than all the Android devices that will never get another security update, anything big I’m missing?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
This is why you should always leave your router set to the default password instead of the one you use for the rest of your accounts.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Maneki Neko posted:

Reading through this, it’s bad, but not as bad as I thought (in that it mainly seems to require fixes on the client side only unless you’re implementing some specific features).

Other than all the Android devices that will never get another security update, anything big I’m missing?

This is just the start. This is how WEP broke down initially;slow to start until critical "ooh. It's super bad"

That poc just happened to be for Android but he needed something to send to the vendors.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Maneki Neko posted:

As I said a few posts back I think being a mostly client side problem is a lot worse, not better.

While there are a lot of APs built in to home routers that'll never see updates, they're mostly not connected to high-value target networks. A lot of the major commercial AP vendors already have updates available, hell quite a few had already silently patched the issue in a publicly available firmware and then just announced it when disclosure time came around. Within a few weeks I expect that the majority of business-grade WiFi APs will be patched for this.

On the other hand the client side is going to be vulnerable pretty much forever. As you note there are probably literally millions of Android devices that will never see an update again (if they ever did in the first place), all kinds of IoT things, all kinds of appliances. If it connects to a WiFi network it's probably vulnerable, and if it runs Linux it's apparently probably particularly vulnerable thanks to the wpa_supplicant bug.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Meraki are releasing firmware today:

quote:

Dear Meraki Customer,
We are reaching out to inform you of a new security vulnerability that has been recently discovered. The vulnerability has been documented as CVE-2017-13082 and makes Access Points with 802.11r enabled vulnerable to attacks. Customers that do not use 802.11r are not impacted.
The fix for the vulnerability is available in firmware versions MR 24.11 and MR 25.7. More information can be found here. You can upgrade your networks using the new 'Firmware Upgrade Tool' if you are not currently running these patched versions. Optionally, you can skip this version of firmware but this is not recommended. If you choose to skip upgrading to the latest firmware, we strongly urge you to disable 802.11r. You can disabled 802.11r for an SSID from the 'Access Control' page in dashboard.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mrgretzky/status/919883806475194368

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've not seen the usual vendors crawl out of their holes to tell people to use their Internet security suite that tunnels everything back to their :yaycloud: yet, presumably that's on the way

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

LEDE's rolling out updates to the latest version via their package manager for the WPA2 issue right now according to their forum. It's not out for mine yet, but they should be all built and released in the next few hours.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Thanks Ants posted:

I've not seen the usual vendors crawl out of their holes to tell people to use their Internet security suite that tunnels everything back to their :yaycloud: yet, presumably that's on the way

You can stop checking LinkedIn for the next 2-4 weeks because every vendor will be unbearable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

people check linkedin?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

https://papers.mathyvanhoef.com/ccs2017.pdf

It's not getting the PSK, it's forcing re-use of the temporal keys due to a flaw in 802.11i 4-way handshake. It allows packet replay and decryption with AES and packet replay, decryption and forging with TKIP and GCMP. It's especially bad for TKTIP and GCMP due to the forging and really no one should be using it anymore anyway.

This is a vulnerability in WPA/WPA2 in general, not *just* WPA/WPA2-PSK.

And iOS is not vulnerable since they break spec and don't allow msg 3 to be resent in eapol. Windows breaks spec the same way. Both iOS and Windows are vulnerable to the GTK attack. Android is completely owned due to it allowing the attack to actually set a temporal key of all 0's.

Also, mitigation appears to be possible at either end. So either the AP needs a hotfix to enable a key re-use check or on the client side. If only one of the sides won't allow it, this won't work.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 16, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Cross posting from yospos:

Your Android phone isn't completely owned. All networks are untrusted and if you have an open network in your network list this literally changes nothing for your security.

Even then if your poo poo isn't end to end secure it's insecure full stop, trusting WiFi security for absolutely anything beyond packets from your device to the router is stupid.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
Got a quick cert/CSR question:

We have a third party that wants higher ups are going to have host a website for us at a subdomain customname.ourcompany.com

Obviously because they are using ourcompany.com as the subdomain, we need to provide them a valid certificate that matches the name customname.ourcompany.com (they asked for our wildcard cert, and we already shot them down).

They are asking us what information to put into the CSR that they are going to give to us, but, shouldn't that be on them to fill in?

I'm somewhat unclear as to what real ramifications the contents of the CSR have, as long as the CN and dnsDomainName match what we need.

I'll probably end up just providing them an openssl config file to generate the csr, but I figured I'd ask here first.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

apseudonym posted:

Cross posting from yospos:

Your Android phone isn't completely owned. All networks are untrusted and if you have an open network in your network list this literally changes nothing for your security.

Even then if your poo poo isn't end to end secure it's insecure full stop, trusting WiFi security for absolutely anything beyond packets from your device to the router is stupid.

Fair enough. I was being hyperbolic.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wicaeed posted:

We have a third party that wants higher ups are going to have host a website for us at a subdomain customname.ourcompany.com

Obviously because they are using ourcompany.com as the subdomain, we need to provide them a valid certificate that matches the name customname.ourcompany.com (they asked for our wildcard cert, and we already shot them down).

They are asking us what information to put into the CSR that they are going to give to us, but, shouldn't that be on them to fill in?

I'm somewhat unclear as to what real ramifications the contents of the CSR have, as long as the CN and dnsDomainName match what we need.

I'll probably end up just providing them an openssl config file to generate the csr, but I figured I'd ask here first.
They're probably asking what goes in the Subject field, so that the cert for customname.ourcompany.com has the same OU/City/State/etc. as the cert for ourcompany.com.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wicaeed posted:

I don't think any of the address details appear in the cert anywhere, unless you're using an EV cert.

Can they just use Let's Encrypt and leave you alone?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Can someone explain how PKI differs from just having a public/private key? Is it just the fact that there is a CA, or is there something else to it?

I see people talking about implementing PKI like its some huge project, but as far as I can tell its just keeping track of your certs/keys and keeping your private keys secure. What am I missing here?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

RFC2324 posted:

Can someone explain how PKI differs from just having a public/private key? Is it just the fact that there is a CA, or is there something else to it?

I see people talking about implementing PKI like its some huge project, but as far as I can tell its just keeping track of your certs/keys and keeping your private keys secure. What am I missing here?

You are correct but the effort to implement PKI is mainly deciding how to manage the trust.

Internet, email, internal networking , username/password authentication, signing, encrypting messages and files, backups, network segregation.

Creating a public/private key pair is nothing much.

Implementing PKI is figuring out, "Maybe we should not use one public/private key to do everything I listed above"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Doesn't it also encompass the distribution of certificates, which is not a trivial task

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Doesn't it also encompass the distribution of certificates, which is not a trivial task

My personal understanding and use of the acronym "PKI" is that it's more all encompassing and like you said includes the infrastructure for distribution, issuing, etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

EVIL Gibson posted:

You are correct but the effort to implement PKI is mainly deciding how to manage the trust.

Internet, email, internal networking , username/password authentication, signing, encrypting messages and files, backups, network segregation.

Creating a public/private key pair is nothing much.

Implementing PKI is figuring out, "Maybe we should not use one public/private key to do everything I listed above"

Thanks Ants posted:

CLAM DOWN posted:

My personal understanding and use of the acronym "PKI" is that it's more all encompassing and like you said includes the infrastructure for distribution, issuing, etc.

So its the management system I was missing, and the (to me obvious) don't reuse passwords rule, since a key is effectively a password.

Are there any good out of the box management systems, or are these generally homegrown solutions?

Thanks for the clarification :)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you're setting up a large environment you have to think about CA's, sub CA's, publishing of ARL's/CRL's and how you want devices to retrieve certs (scep/cmp) etc.

And what precious posters said about building a trust and how to manage that trust so it doesn't become worthless due to people loving things up.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, PKI is all the backend crap needed to have joe user request a public/private key pair and have it be managed by the organization, or a cert for something, or any kind of managed encryption system.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Really excited for all the assholes in the park across the street to packet sniff in on all the k-dramas the family watches.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I got my hostapd update for LEDE. Update your poo poo if you haven’t already.

I tried setting up an OpenVPN connection, but I just found out Android doesn’t support TAP after I spent like two hours on it. Also, I can’t figure out why the Windows client won’t update my routes. I added the push redirect-gateway line to the server, but nothing changes. I’m not even sure if any traffic was going through it at all. I may play around with it later, but I’ll just use my cellular connection and USB tethering if I’m not at home for now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Double Punctuation posted:

I got my hostapd update for LEDE. Update your poo poo if you haven’t already.

I tried setting up an OpenVPN connection, but I just found out Android doesn’t support TAP after I spent like two hours on it. Also, I can’t figure out why the Windows client won’t update my routes. I added the push redirect-gateway line to the server, but nothing changes. I’m not even sure if any traffic was going through it at all. I may play around with it later, but I’ll just use my cellular connection and USB tethering if I’m not at home for now.
Does android still do that thing where if you install a root certificate, like you might for a VPN, it leaves a notification forever that your phone's network activity is being monitored? There were at least two threads about it on the Google issue tracker, but that was a while ago and they've been disappeared.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Does android still do that thing where if you install a root certificate, like you might for a VPN, it leaves a notification forever that your phone's network activity is being monitored? There were at least two threads about it on the Google issue tracker, but that was a while ago and they've been disappeared.

Nope, we're running Android phones with custom/internal roots and there's no notification or message like that, I know what you're referring to though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

anthonypants posted:

I also haven't had this stuck on my Andriod for a while now.