Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

CourValant posted:

I never played, Metal Gear: Whatever?

So, not sure what you mean?

I just like the hand motion is all. :)

It's quite literally Revolver Ocelot's red-gloved hands doing the double-pistol spin, and apparently he's a great character in all the games (and totally gay for Big Boss) though my only experience with him has been in MGS5 which is set in 1985 before a lot of the craziest poo poo in the timeline happens.

It's a much fancier, more stylish point and shoot hand gesture that pretty much seems to work everywhere I've seen you use it, I just thought you had a thing for the Ocelot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

It's a much fancier, more stylish point and shoot hand gesture that pretty much seems to work everywhere I've seen you use it, I just thought you had a thing for the Ocelot.

Gotcha.

Yeah, I mainly use it as 'finger guns', and I'm glad I haven't been using it 'wrong'.

Not actually a big fan of Metal Gear; I played the first one in college on the original PS (which blew my mind), and haven't played another one beyond that.

I don't actually like the revolver ocelot character; he strikes me as a try-hard. That, and its a caricature of what Japanese folks think about our gun culture, if its were somehow personified.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's what makes Ocelot endearing

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Even with the missing third act, 5 is one of my favourite games of the past couple of years. You're sort of in the right ballpark about him, but it's basically "dude is obsessed with the Wild West and cowboys" more than "let us make fun of the baka gaijin and their dishonourable love of firearms over the glorious and most honourable katana," (though that cultural difference is definitely a huge influence on the enormous difference in protagonists and storytelling between western and Japanese games and media). Hideo Kojima devours enormous amounts of western media though, and the Metal Gear games themselves are a commentary on the machinery and industry of war and the broken men (and orphans, and child soldiers) it produces.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Edward, Marco, Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Friday October 20th - Early afternoon - Orc Underground, Our Abbey Underground

Our Abbey Underground was just like it always was, which is to say homey and inviting. It wasn't a church in the classic sense. There were no pews and no podium. The couches and chairs were all in earthy browns, mismatched without clashing. In fact the reason it was so homey is because it was in fact someone's home. Off to the left was a kitchen and a study, to the right were the bathrooms and bedrooms. A family lived here and it showed. It was clean now, but that was a choice made by people expecting company, and soon children's toys both physical and electronic would litter the floor. A family would complicate this place to make it a home once more once they left, but for now it was just a quiet, comfortable and trusted meeting place.

The preacher, minister, pastor, really it didn't matter what his title was, people just called him Devin, set up the room where fifteen to twenty people could sit and services were held twice a day on Sundays. This was not with pews but with couches, not facing forward, but in a circle to encourage thoughtful questions and discussion. As a troll he'd be taller than the rest, but he didn't stand or seat himself above others and normally sat in a troll sized folding chair rather than in something comfortable. Not apart from the circle, but part of it. In fact if you'd asked the locals about the abbey they normally would've just mentioned the free Sunday clinic or soup kitchen as most people didn't go to services there. This was normally the second church that people would go to. This church had an eye towards training leaders as well as nourishing the bodies, minds and souls of their tiny group of parishioners. Devin and his family weren't present at the moment. It was a Saturday in the ork underground and that meant family time for the family of four. Marco, Julie and Fuzzy were trusted and so by extension were their guests.

Marco sat in Devin's chair now. Julie sat near him in a love seat with a blanket. Fuzzy caught her admiring Marco while he was talking to the person in the hoodie only to shyly and quickly look away when he talked to her. However if he didn't know any better she'd caught him doing the same once as well. Fuzzy and Sasha sat on a couch made for three, but leaned against one another near the end closest to Marco. Duncan and Beef were outside. This was the underground and while there was another exit both were out to the front of the street. There were no back exits as this house had been dug out of the stone in the years after the Night of Rage, the national race riots that forced metahumans underground for a few years in some areas, though the underground only belonged to the orks and trolls now after they forced the elves and much later the dwarves out.

Marco was about to speak but paused as his eyes landed on Sasha. He pursed his lips as he saw her glasses. Her eyes, owlish through the magnification of those jam jar lenses darted away as she tried to look at Fuzzy, but couldn't as her peripheral vision was obscured and she'd need to physically bury her face in her girlfriend's body to see her straight on.

"Should I ask about the glasses?" asked Marco.

"Please don't," said Sasha, quickly.

"All right then," said Marco, who asked no more.

Edward's shoes were in the hallway as were everyone else's. The stone Devin's house was hewed from was an excellent line of sight blocker for the astral and therefor the dust in Edward's shoe in its hidden compartment. She wouldn't have seen it in the astral at all, but didn't want to take a second chance. Not to mention looking at whomever was in the hoodie felt like hitting someone you love.

"So you're all curious why I called you here. I had a hard time believing it at first, but someone we know, or at least think we know is in trouble. So I called you all here so we can talk. I assure you that this isn't a trick, or at least I don't think it is, so please hold your reservations until the end. Questions are okay, but for the moment I'd like you to suspend your feelings of disbelief and just listen," said Marco.

The person in the hoodie fidgeted nervously on the chair he was sitting on in anticipation. Marco looked to him and even though he was a full two meters away Marco was large enough that he could still reach over and put a hand on his shoulder.

"Tell them what you told me," said Marco.

Edward whispered something.

"What was that?" asked Julie.

There was a pause before the figure spoke again.

"I said I'm scared," said Edward, his voice now identifiable.

"Kenji?" asked Fuzzy.

The figure in the hoodie turned towards her. His face was shadowed by it and he looked as if he was trying to hunch into himself or was one motion away from curling into a defensive ball.

"I'm not Kenji," said Edward, defensively. "That's not my name. My name is Edward."

"Right. This is Edward. He's someone who you all think you know, but don't. His circumstances are rather..."

Marco groped for words and his face looked pained.

"Exotic," he said, sadly. "And extreme. Do you think you could pull down the hood so we can see you better?"

Edward fidgeted again before he nodded and slowly took down the hood. It was Kenji, or at least that's what Julie, Sasha and Fuzzy thought at first. He stared at the three girls with nervous, fearful eyes that did not recognize a single one of them.

"I don't get it. Is this some sort of joke?" asked Sasha.

"No joke," said Marco.

"That's just Kenji," said Julie, annoyed.

"I'm not Kenji," said Edward, his voice full of despair, and then imploringly, "My name is Edward."

Fuzzy said nothing. This was strange, but as asked she held her opinion.

"Have either of you assensed him yet?" asked Marco.

Sasha looked away on reflex like one might pull their hand away from a fire.

"I can't see the astral," said Fuzzy.

"I haven't," said Julie.

"I started to believe there was something more going on when I did that. So please, if you're willing, try, but be aware it's not at all pleasant," warned Marco.

Julie sighed explosively but decided to look at Edward. Her eyes slid out of focus and she then jerked her gaze away from him as if punched. Having been here every Sunday for months she ran to the right towards the bathroom and was audibly sick. Edward looked mortified but Marco calmly patted him on the shoulder.

"It's not your fault," he whispered.

"I feel ugly," sighed Edward.

"It's not anything you did."

Edward said nothing.

Julie returned a minute later after having washed her mouth out and her tusks off. She looked drained.

"What did you see, Julie?" asked Marco.

"It felt like looking at the ACHE," she lied.

She didn't have it in her to say that looking at his aura reminded her of being choked by her father in her hospital bed.

"So is everyone willing to put aside their disbelief for a few minutes?" asked Marco.

Fuzzy and Julie nodded. Sasha said nothing.

"Right. So Edward, start like you started with me," said Marco.

Edward nodded and looked down at his feet. He'd curled half way into that ball now. His bare feet were up on the plush, brown reclining chair he was sitting on and despite his normally tall height looked small and compact as he spoke. He took a deep breath, sighed, and in a detached voice he began to talk.

"My first memories were of me trying to be anywhere else. I'd imagine I was flying, or that I was a fish under water, or that I was home with a family I didn't remember being loved, but where I really was was in a sort of...Blank space. Not the matrix or anything, but I think it's called an isolation tank or a sensory deprivation tank. I was...I want to say five or six, but I'm not sure. I'd be in there for I don't know how long. Sometimes I'd be pulled out. There were lots of these tanks and lots of kids like me. Sometimes we'd just be ignored, sometimes we'd get yelled at, sometimes we'd get beaten but they'd feed us more when we beat each other though it was never guaranteed. I was the smallest so I didn't eat much as you can imagine," whispered Edward.

The room grew still as everyone began to listen.

"It's like that they were trying to create the worst possible environment for us without killing us," said Edward, distantly. "Not that some of us didn't try...Escaping that is," he said, quickly. "However you can. The ones who physically tried to escape just didn't come back. I don't know what happened to any of them. The best explanation I have after thinking about it is that I think they were trying to get us to escape mentally and emotionally. They wanted us to be other people. We'd act like other people and they'd yell less, beat us less and give us more food. This one girl, Jenna she told me once, I remember she got hugged one day in front of all of us because she told everyone else that her name was Sally. I remember wanting that hug so bad. So we were allowed to ask her what she'd done and she told us. Jenna was gone. She was Sally now, but Sally could be Jenna is she wanted to. When she was Sally she could get hugs and presents and food, and that's what we wanted, so we all tried to pretend. Pretending wasn't enough though. It wasn't enough to just pretend. You had to be someone else and not be yourself. So Jenna and Sally both got hugs because they could be different people in the same body. Completely different. Not pretending. Not secretly knowing what your other self thought or did. So I did that. I succeeded after...I don't know how long. Not long though, because I wanted these things. So I remember waking up one morning and I got hugs, got food, got presents, and I felt so good even though I didn't know what I'd done. They told me I was Edward, but not all the time. Sometimes I'd be Kaz. I didn't know who Kaz was, just that because I could be Kaz and not myself. It didn't matter. I succeeded and so I told everyone that I did that, like Sally did. How to get hugs and food and presents, and everyone wanted to be like me so they wouldn't get yelled at and beaten and put back in the tank."

Edward looked in Marco's direction again. Not at him, but near him.

"Can I put my hood back up?" asked Edward.

"I think that's okay. Do you want me to move my hand?" asked Marco, quietly.

"No."

"Okay."

Marco moved closer with his chair but didn't remove his hand. Edward, his hood now back on leaned his cloth covered cheek against Marco's large hand before he decided to speak again.

"They started wanting me to be other people again. Not just Kaz. Kaz wasn't enough anymore. So I'd be new people. I could be anyone. It took practice, but life was getting pretty good. I didn't have to be myself if I didn't want to be. Sometimes they'd make us try and be a specific person and we'd spend hours or even days preparing for the role. That's what they were called, roles or sometimes characters. We'd get "in character" and become these people and if we did it well enough we'd be treated well. If we did poorly we'd be treated poorly. Waking up was always terrifying or wonderful, because you didn't know how you did until they told you how you did. The ones that knew before they told them went away I think. Then you knew because of how they treated you. Lots of kids went away during this time like I said. We'd been moved to new tanks, but the good ones didn't spend much time in them. I was good. Really good in fact, but then I wasn't. There was something new. Sometimes it was called a script, or directives or just orders. We started small, two, and I got that right off, and then five, and then ten, but they wanted more than that. I kept failing at ten. They wanted hundreds, but I could tell they wanted more. More and more, always more. I think they wanted thousands of these directives for the people who I wasn't to follow. I could only do ten. Sometimes I could do eleven or twelve if I really tried, but I lost the knack. I can really only do six now, and it's hard for me to get in character anymore. It takes minutes where it used to take me seconds, you know? Except Kenji. Kenji is different. Anyway, I used to be so good that I could become a new person as soon as I absorbed enough information about the person I wanted to be. I failed in the end. So I found out what they do with the rejects."

Edward nuzzled hard against Marco's hand for comfort and the big man's hand reached up to stroke his head through the hoodie.

"They dump us into the trash pile. It must've been near the end of the month because I fell down into the trash but I survived. I think I hit something soft. Not everyone did. I was pretty messed up, but someone took me in. This was...I think weeks later. That was mom, Charlotte Okamura."

Only his mouth was visible under his hoodie, and he managed a small smile at the mention of her name. It fell though.

"My dad, well, he was awful, this guy named Mario. He hated me, but she couldn't have any kids and wanted one, so she took me in when no one else did," said Edward, quietly. "I had to pay my own way though when I got better. Mario dealt drugs and mom did um...Stuff. She left Mario and I left with her. I didn't want to be a burden, and sometimes things would get bad, so when I wanted to be strong I became someone else. That's Kenji. I made him up. He's me, sort of, but he's not me. We don't talk. He was the one who'd fight and be brave and stand up to people. When I got older he'd be the one to go into the ACHE's basement for stuff and then I'd be back in my room with nuyen in my pocket. We texted sometimes, but not much. I just gave him a few directives to keep him honest with me and take care of me and mom, but now I can't really change them. Not the big ones at least. The top directives. They're sort of in a row you see. I'd damage him and I can't make him back up again if I did. Anyway, my story isn't exactly new. It's not even the worst I've heard. This is just speculation now, but everyone who's lived there long enough thinks this. You know, in the ACHE? I mean, why keep it standing? The ACHE? It's this giant awful disaster sitting in the middle of Seattle. It's a slum hive that used to be the laboratory of a AI, Deus, which was before that the Renraku arcology. I mean it's a bad place but it didn't just get bulldozed or anything. You get why when you live there though. The general consensus around the ACHE if you ask anyone, if they'll talk to you at least, is that it's around because the experiments never stopped. Renraku did it, Deus did it, and now everyone does it. Not the same experiments I don't think, but just skipping at any time to human testing to save money. 150,000 people living in a big lab getting experimented on. The new ones, they don't believe it at first when the old ones want to talk to someone. Then they see more and they don't want to talk about it. Then they stay there long enough and they want to talk to someone, but the new ones don't believe them, the ones that're scared don't want to talk about it and the old ones just want to talk. In the end nobody wants to talk and all. Mostly they just do drugs or kill themselves. My story isn't a new one. It's not even the worst I've heard if you believe everyone. I don't know who does it, maybe just a single corporation or all of them. In my case though all that I know is what they were training us to do was called LeBlanc. They'd never said it in the labs, but the guards started talking when they threw me into the trash pile. I guess they thought I wouldn't survive so it didn't matter. Anyway, that's all I know. I kept trying to find stuff on it but..."

The hooded figure looked over towards Marco.

"Hey, can I get a glass of water?" asked Edward. "My throat hurts."

"Yeah," said Marco, his voice strangled. "I'll go get it for you."

"No. That's okay. I'll get it myself," said Edward.

He stood up and walked with his head down with slow, shuffling steps towards the kitchen. The room was quiet as Edward ran the faucet.

CYOA Time

So we have a good grip on Fuzzy and Sasha's character, and maybe enough on Julie to get a sense of how they react. Marco seems to believe Edward, but he's on the table for reactions as well.

So how does everyone react? Do they believe him or is it just Kenji loving with them? What questions do they ask if any? I'll take group reactions as well as individual reactions. We're going with the full gamut of emotions for how everyone acts and all of you get to decide. Anything not spoken about I'll make up myself.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 17, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, that was a lot worse than I thought. Holy poo poo Edward, and Kenji. So Lone Star was doing human experiments. And to be honest, so does everybody else, because who is going to benefit from cleaning up the ACHE?

I think Fuzzy might be skeptical since she really only knows Kenji and a lot of this is beyond her, Julie just got a face full of Edward's aura so has no reason to disbelieve him. Sasha may accidentally betray her knowledge of LeBlanc here, and Edward is the reason she needs to wear these glasses since she can't "un-see" his aura.

I feel like Marco would still be indignant and angry at the injustice, but the more important thing to him right now is helping Edward.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Xarbala posted:

Wow, that was a lot worse than I thought. Holy poo poo Edward, and Kenji. So Lone Star was doing human experiments. And to be honest, so does everybody else, because who is going to benefit from cleaning up the ACHE?

Yeah, I had to think of a reason why they'd keep it because there's all of this bad poo poo lying around in the ACHE. In the lore there are two working nuclear reactors that the UCAS government keeps going, but honestly if poo poo could pour out of it at any time and things get all Event Horizon/Dead Space/Whatever an AI apocalypse looks like there better be a good reason why they don't just bulldoze the thing and quarantine it like they did in Chicago when the insect spirits invaded. Why house 150,000 desperately poor people in a single place in a cyberpunk dystopia? And then bam, it hit me, the experiments never stopped. Deus' old experiments and new experiments both. In fact it's the perfect cover. Who'd believe that the experiments never stopped? It just sounds like conspiracy theory and crazy talk, and the only people it hurts are the people with no voice.

I imagine it's known, but the corporations have captured most of the media so it's hard to get the message out.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 17, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fuzzy is kinda skeptical because some of this is still over her head, but she can sympathize with a lovely childhood and is willing to take this weirdness at face value because the people she trusts seem to.

Sasha is horrified, maybe even to the point of disbelief. She's a perfect little corp princess who's spent her whole life living in luxury, and even if Lone Star are her competitors there's still a healthy professional respect and the competition is more friendly than not. The idea that any megacorp, much less fellow cops, could do something so despicably evil is just completely foreign to her worldview.

Julie wants to go throw up again, but has no trouble believing Edward. She knows probably more than anyone in the room right now just how lovely a place the world can be.

Marco believes every word of it and hooboy he is pissed. He hides it well, and his top priority is always making sure everyone is ok so he's been keeping his cool the last few hours, but the mask might be starting to slip. Like, it's hard to over-emphasize how completely and utterly enraged he is by this bullshit. He's a dedicated pacifist and is still about ready to bring down the fury of God and strangle the people responsible himself. He was already kinda seeing the lovely side of the corps, this is the jackhammer blow that splits it wide open for him.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 17, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Julie sat near him in a love seat with a blanket. Fuzzy caught her admiring Marco while he was talking to the person in the hoodie only to shyly and quickly look away when he talked to her.

. . . do step into my parlor, Mount Marco. :)

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sometimes we'd just be ignored, sometimes we'd get yelled at, sometimes we'd get beaten but they'd feed us more when we beat each other though it was never guaranteed.

I don't like where this is going. :(

Ice Phisherman posted:

This one girl, Jenna she told me once, I remember she got hugged one day in front of all of us because she told everyone else that her name was Sally. I remember wanting that hug so bad.

Where are you taking me? :ohdear:

Ice Phisherman posted:

I think they wanted thousands of these directives for the people who I wasn't to follow. I could only do ten. Sometimes I could do eleven or twelve if I really tried, but I lost the knack.

:ohdearsass:

Ice Phisherman posted:

The general consensus around the ACHE if you ask anyone, if they'll talk to you at least, is that it's around because the experiments never stopped.

Of course they didn't. :sympathy:

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time
So how does everyone react?

Fuzzy gets it. This is how the world works, and she's already fully indoctrinated to the abuses and excesses of this world.

Sasha is horrified. She realizes that Christina's family is somehow involved in this, and, suddenly their petty High School rivalries 1) don't matter and 2) is about to blow up to Corp on Corp warfare on Blake Island.

Julie is skeptical. Knife-Ears is making up stories again; everyone knows Elves can't be trusted. Trolls seem to be pretty cool though.

Marco is overwhelmed. He wants to help, and doesn't know how; this is clearly well above his head.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Wow... :stare:

Uhhh... :stonk:

Yeah... :suspense:

I want more.

Out of all of them I believe Fuzzy will believe him. Im too tired to explain why right now. But thankyou, Ice, for the nightmares before bed. You basically described two of my worst fears, then smashed them together into one horror.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Wow... :stare:

Uhhh... :stonk:

Yeah... :suspense:

I want more.

Out of all of them I believe Fuzzy will believe him. Im too tired to explain why right now. But thankyou, Ice, for the nightmares before bed. You basically described two of my worst fears, then smashed them together into one horror.

Sorry for the nightmares before bed. :(

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Caught over the weekend it is quite good.

Fuzzy will be confused, but she'll be empathetic towards Edward/Kenji. I think she has seen enough to not be surprised by people treating each other horribly.

Sasha will be horrified and to some degree empathetic. But she will also be doing some calculating, some of the ruthless corp upbringing will show through. This an opportunity to tarnish Lone-Star's reputation. If they can find solid evidence in ACHE of Lone-Star's human experimentation this is a way to remove or reduce the threat of competition of Lone-Star not only in the Seattle area, but world-wide, after all one of the main selling points of Lone-Star over Knight Errant is they are seen as the good guys/the cops/the Texas rangers reborn, having a media blitz showing the world evidence of ruthless human experimentation will mess with their reputation. I don't think she'll associate corps being unethical in general - her corp isn't to blame for any it is our dastardly Lone-Star competitors perpetuating this evil.

- Also if she bring this in to her parents and they can really damage Lone-Star's reputation and increase Are's market share, they may be more willing to overlook her relationship with Fuzzy. As her relationship is bearing tangible benefit for the company.

-This is also a way to get back at and hurt Christina by hurting her corp/family

Julie is going be outwardly empathetic because she wants Marco to love her, and he is taking this seriously so she will. Privately she'll be kind of confused and have her doubts about what exactly is going on, but she'll follow Marco's lead.

MinutePirateBug fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 17, 2017

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

MinutePirateBug posted:

they may be more willing to overlook her relationship with Fuzzy.

There's a scene in the works regarding this, I think, but just from what we've seen so far I honestly don't believe that Sasha's parents care all that much. Like, mom had a comic moment where she needed the entire bottle of wine to get over the whole "no grandkids" thing but Sasha's parents don't strike me as particularly homophobic or anything. Hell, her dad seems to love having Fuzzy around, he's finally got a hunting partner.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Crazycryodude posted:

Fuzzy is kinda skeptical because...

Sasha is horrified, maybe even to the point of disbelief...

Julie wants to go throw up again, but has no trouble believing Edward...

Marco believes every word of it and hooboy he is pissed....

Yeah I'm in complete agreement with everything you said here. Just, wow IP, that poo poo got darker than a very dark thing in an oubliette.

MinutePirateBug posted:

But she also be doing some calculating, some of the ruthless corp upbringing will show through. This an opportunity to tarnish Lone-Star's reputation. If they can find solid evidence in ACHE of Lone-Star's human experimentation this is a way to remove or reduce the threat of competition of Lone-Star not only in the Seattle area, but world-wide, after all one of the main selling points of Lone-Star over Knight Errant is they are seen as the good guys/the cops/the Texas rangers reborn, having a media blitz showing the world evidence of ruthless human experimentation will mess with their reputation. I don't think she'll associate corps being unethical in general - her corp isn't to blame for any it is our dastardly Lone-Star competitors perpetuating this evil.

- Also if she bring this in to her parents and they can really damage Lone-Star's reputation and increase Are's market share, they may be more willing to overlook her relationship with Fuzzy. As her relationship is bearing tangible benefit for the company.

This also makes a lot of sense to me. I'm assuming corp education and upbringing includes a lot of indoctrination about putting the corp first and always being on the lookout for opportunities that would benefit the corp, and by extension, your family and yourself. This would absolutely tank Lone Star's rep even if those responsible are never truly unmasked or brought to justice. I disagree about Sasha's parents though, like Cryo said they appear to be fine with it (except for the no grandkids moment). Sasha's dad even likes taking Fuzzy hunting apparently.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

MinutePirateBug posted:

Julie is going be outwardly empathetic because she wants Marco to love her, and he is taking this seriously so she will. Privately she'll be kind of confused and have her doubts about what exactly is going on, but she'll follow Marco's lead.

Oh I like this better.

Inside, "knife-ears are liars". Outside, "Whatever you say Marco!"

We've all done it too.

"Why, you like to camp?!! Me too! I'm allergic to pretty much everything in nature, however sure, I'd love to go camping with you and all your friends and be your pack mule for the weekend!"

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Fuzzy believes it

Sasha is sceptical, leaning towards believing, going to have a barrage of questions, about his aura, about his shoe, about the LeBlanc method, etc.

Julie isn't going to accept it per say, she's going to believe Marco and trust him, and since everyone else is somewhat on board she'll be involved, even if he's an elf

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah I'm liking this rough spread of reactions.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

There's a scene in the works regarding this, I think, but just from what we've seen so far I honestly don't believe that Sasha's parents care all that much. Like, mom had a comic moment where she needed the entire bottle of wine to get over the whole "no grandkids" thing but Sasha's parents don't strike me as particularly homophobic or anything. Hell, her dad seems to love having Fuzzy around, he's finally got a hunting partner.

Oh I doubt it is a homophobic thing is more along the lines of : "How does the corp benefit from this alliance" sure Fuzzy is a talented adept, but I am sure her parents can find another someone within the corp or outside of it with a lot more magical ability. Their main problems will be 1. Corp loyalty, Sasha's parents worked for Ares, her gradparents worked for ares etc... etc.. it is a feudal thing 2. Raw capital that is brought to the table by the marriage, if they bring someone into the family who isn't part of the Ares family already they'll want to bring in someone more powerful or who is of more utility.

Sasha being able to say, gee without my relationship with Fuzzy I wouldn't have this pipeline to these people I would've never been able get this information from an Orc and ACHE street rat in Orc underground where Ares personnel are specifically not welcome - This relationship has a high value to Ares.

Sasha's father talks shop at the table and is obviously grooming her to have a place in Ares, even knowing exactly what the LeBlanc method is will be very valuable in her negotiations with her family when it comes to Fuzzy, being able to dangle the prospect of a major fiscal boon for Ares by undermining Lone Star will provide leverage in her negotiations with her parents.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Xarbala posted:

Yeah I'm liking this rough spread of reactions.

I like it too. I'll build in the confusion and sort of slouching towards decisions depending on what people say.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

MinutePirateBug posted:

Oh I doubt it is a homophobic thing is more along the lines of : "How does the corp benefit from this alliance" sure Fuzzy is a talented adept, but I am sure her parents can find another someone within the corp or outside of it with a lot more magical ability. Their main problems will be 1. Corp loyalty, Sasha's parents worked for Ares, her gradparents worked for ares etc... etc.. it is a feudal thing 2. Raw capital that is brought to the table by the marriage, if they bring someone into the family who isn't part of the Ares family already they'll want to bring in someone more powerful or who is of more utility.

Sasha being able to say, gee without my relationship with Fuzzy I wouldn't have this pipeline to these people I would've never been able get this information from an Orc and ACHE street rat in Orc underground where Ares personnel are specifically not welcome - This relationship has a high value to Ares.

Sasha's father talks shop at the table and is obviously grooming her to have a place in Ares, even knowing exactly what the LeBlanc method is will be very valuable in her negotiations with her family when it comes to Fuzzy, being able to dangle the prospect of a major fiscal boon for Ares by undermining Lone Star will provide leverage in her negotiations with her parents.

Yeah alright, I can buy that angle. She's a corp kid from a corp family, everything is a transaction in that household.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I like the idea of Sasha's dad looking at Fuzzy as a potential asset, first as a freelancer then perhaps when she's older offering her a "road to corporate citizenship" employment route

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Fuzzy: shocked but not surprised, the strong prey upon the weak in the ACHE the same way they do in the Barrens
Sasha: Horrified disbelief that a Corp would sink this low, but accepting the fact that something really messed up happened to Kenji/Edward
Julie: I'll go against the grain and say that she's genuinely empathetic, for one because she knows Kenji at least somewhat good enough to be able to repress the kneejerk "Elves are all liars" reflex, and two because I think she recognises the victimisation that they were both subjected to:

quote:

She didn't have it in her to say that looking at his aura reminded her of being choked by her father in her hospital bed.
Marco: Helpless rage

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Small aside. In Shadowrun the connection the body has to one's soul is rated in essence. There is nothing in the game that talks about the condition of the soul in general. So whenever people look at Kenji they don't have words and the worst things just leap out at them as they try to describe it. So you can be a toxic shaman who's all hosed up with six essence because WINNERS DON'T DO DRUGS. Cyberware messes you up though. So does hardcore addiction.

Kenji is hosed up is what I'm saying.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 17, 2017

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

Xarbala posted:

I think Fuzzy might be skeptical since she really only knows Kenji and a lot of this is beyond her, Julie just got a face full of Edward's aura so has no reason to disbelieve him. Sasha may accidentally betray her knowledge of LeBlanc here, and Edward is the reason she needs to wear these glasses since she can't "un-see" his aura.

I feel like Marco would still be indignant and angry at the injustice, but the more important thing to him right now is helping Edward.

Ares Macrotechnology potentially benefits from "cleaning" up ACHE as a future action , under the auspices of ending human experimentation they can 1. Increase their reputation world wide 2. Seize all the research data that is being gathered by other corporations under the guise of a humanitarian exercise 3. If they want to they can maintain ACHE as their own private research laboratory.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

Small aside. In Shadowrun the connection the body has to one's soul is rated in essence. There is nothing in the game that talks about the condition of the soul in general. So whenever people look at Kenji they don't have words and the worst things just leap out at them as they try to describe it. So you can be a toxic shaman who's all hosed up with six essence because WINNERS DON'T DO DRUGS. Cyberware messes you up though. So does hardcore addiction.

Kenji is hosed up is what I'm saying.

Yeah, you've painted a very grim picture of the condition of Edward's soul, like it's some sort of atavistically-terrifying patchwork of nightmares sewn together haphazardly with thread made of dead babies.

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Okay, I mostly agree with what everyone else is saying.

Fuzzy just straight up buys it. She hasn't seen this much weird before, but she's definitely seen this kind of evil. She might need the nuances explained later, but she buys in completely.

Sasha is torn between the inability to believe that a corp, let alone cops, could do something like this and the fact that Edward's story and his horror-Essence smack of pure, painful truth.

Julie skeptical on whether Kenji-Edward is trustworthy, but between Marco believing him, what she just saw, and her angry cynicism, she definitely believes something beyond fucky is going on.

Marco is the big one - this pushes him all the way into the worldview he'd already been moving towards. His skepticism towards the corps, his connections to disadvantaged communities - hearing and believing Edward's story is what blasts away whatever of Marco the EVO brat might have still been holding on. He's not going to become a shadowrunner or anything, but ten years from now he's probably going to be a pastor/street doc in a shadow community instead of ascending the corporate ladder, and this was the tipping point.

Bonus round: Fuzzy suddenly realizes that Rat Man is her mom. Based on what Edward just said, a mom is someone who finds you when you're a trash-baby and looks out for you, but also still makes you carry your own weight. That's Rat Man for her. There should be a scene in the future where she goes to Julian for help in getting in contact with Rat Man again - it'll cool some of the resentment she's been feeling, and maybe open a small door for Julian to rebuild some small amount of the early bond they used to have.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

jagadaishio posted:

Bonus round: Fuzzy suddenly realizes that Rat Man is her mom. Based on what Edward just said, a mom is someone who finds you when you're a trash-baby and looks out for you, but also still makes you carry your own weight. That's Rat Man for her. There should be a scene in the future where she goes to Julian for help in getting in contact with Rat Man again - it'll cool some of the resentment she's been feeling, and maybe open a small door for Julian to rebuild some small amount of the early bond they used to have.

See, this is why I wanted to wait until midnight my time to write something. Fuzzy realizing Rat Man is her "mom" is the best thing. I think she'd understand dad as a concept as she's well into sixth grade reading level by now, but her actually calling him mom just tickles me. Plus I've been wanting to introduce him for a while. Him and the Olivers would get along just great for Thanksgiving. Just this Hispanic guy who's covered in rat grease and smells like leather who hates the government. But he really loves Fuzzy even if he did have to put her to work. That's "mom" to Fuzzy.

I'm going to chill out for a little while longer, watch something on stories (A Thorough Look at Wolfenstein is on the menu tonight) and then write for a bit.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 17, 2017

jagadaishio
Jun 25, 2013

I don't care if it's ethical; I want a Mammoth Steak.
Comedy grenades and Rat Mom are my personal forte. :sparkles:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

jagadaishio posted:

Comedy grenades and Rat Mom are my personal forte. :sparkles:

I'm still waiting for this lube grenade episode of Benny Hill to happen.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sorry for the nightmares before bed. :(

Don't fret, my friend. I usually have nightmares of some sort. Its why I have my little lavander pill to help me go sleepybye. These ones are just special.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Oct 17, 2017

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

jagadaishio posted:

[b]Bonus round: Fuzzy suddenly realizes that Rat Man is her mom.

So, first Ice, then you.

What are you people trying to do, make me feel or something!?! :argh:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

+1 Rat Mom

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

MinutePirateBug posted:

This was where I was going to go with Sasha's dad during the Christmas special. Not a huge spoiler because I wanted to talk about this at some point.

He wants to groom his daughter for bigger things but at the same time he doesn't take her seriously. Not only is she young, but she's soft hearted and not competent enough to survive just how cut throat corporate politics really is in the figurative sense and possibly even the literal sense. He expected her to marry a competent man with little to no standing and bring him into the family instead of bringing her out. If you think of it as feudalism he's got one kiddo and that's a problem for his own personal power. He can't allow her to marry out because that would reduce his own personal power. At the same time he doesn't take her seriously because she's soft hearted and with her inability to turn off the astral sight (he would know this) he even somewhat views her as somewhat disabled or even defective despite her powers and I have zero intention of "fixing" this quirk because it makes her interesting and effects her world view. So instead of a corporate marriage where she'd basically come into someone else's sphere of influence and he'd be alone and possibly even at someone else's mercy, he's interested in bringing in talent. The more talented a person he can bring into the family through marriage the better and Fuzzy at fifteen is extremely talented. None of them are below a 4 in magic and most of these corp kids start out at one or two and might max out at four before they leave the school for college. They're powerful in a very raw sense. On the other hand in his mind the fact that his daughter is gay works out well for him as they could both have kids and increase his own personal power. Nothing about his situation is optimal at all to him, but he's working with what he has and to get to where he is, in one of the top cops and in charge of a million people and about 10,000 officers (one thirtieth of the Metroplex in terms of policing) he's shrewd as gently caress. Everyone at his level would be.

Her mom is more focused on her daughter being gay. Few people if any really give too much of a drat about that anymore. Major religions that kept gay people down are in decline and religions that deal with animism like native American spiritual worship have become mainstream and they tended (not always, but often enough) to be accepting of gay people or even trans people as a sort of third sex. She's from an older time and is out of touch as a corporate trophy wife in her high tower. Not that she hangs around bonelessly, because corporate wives definitely know how to network, but it's very much about soft powers like influence and prestige. She understands that Sasha being an only child makes their family brittle and would also want to bring in talent, she just needs to get over the hump of her daughter being gay and thinking that her family line is going to end with Sasha when in a time of science that is not the case. Women can even have kids with other women with some help from science. Her thinking is just antiquated and she hopes this is just a phase. Nope. Sasha is totes gay.

When I say the teens on Blake Island are corp princess and princesses I mean that in a very literal sense. They're young nobles and have noble priorities, noble sensibilities and noble problems. You're dealing with older dynastic politics with a new veneer. They're all rivals on that island, even people from the same corps would be rivals. I haven't been focusing on that as much, but stuff like the shame pole and cutting off matrix access is to turn the games they play away from violence and limit the damage they can do by denying them outside assets. Instead the games they play are about prestige and ending on the shame pole is something they'd all hate and actively avoid because publicly being shamed makes them look weak because they're all playing a game and getting put on the shame pole means you're losing. Not because you did something bad, but because you got caught.

I haven't gotten to Sasha's father yet, but if you rolled this back a millennia and took away the stigma for being gay then Sasha's father would openly court talented people to marry into his family, but look for someone who'd adopt that name so he could remain in control. Fuzzy would become Fuzzy Oliver. Even perhaps some other more respectable first name and change it completely. That is only if she were competent enough. The fact that they're in love is somehow quaint and would lead to household stability, but isn't particularly necessary. Increase personal power, increase one's wealth and prestige, grow the dynasty, secure alliances. That is the end all be all of dynastic politics and I'm going to move towards this in time. Sasha would understand this at a fundamental level and if she stays with Fuzzy for long enough she might begin to realize that Fuzzy doesn't. Fuzzy doesn't know what the hell getting involved with Sasha actually means if she sticks around long term. If I decide to go for a second year we are going to smack headfirst into this at full speed.

Hell, a thousand years ago Sasha's dad is a county sheriff and he takes his daughter's suitor out hunting because that's what he does on his days off to stay sharp. The fact that they're both hunters is bonding time for them while he evaluates her for suitability with his daughter. Fuzzy's ability to understand life and death and what that means at a young age is a major point in her favor, not to mention her raw talent. That pesky nice streak needs to get tempered though. It's fine to be nice while Sasha is around, but if she's going to date Sasha he needs to know that Fuzzy is tough enough to lead.

I say this again that Fuzzy doesn't know any of this poo poo. She's still at a sixth grade reading level. Politics are beyond her. All of this is not on the two teens' mind at all, but I have been waiting to put Sasha's father more into the mix. I just hadn't yet.

Political scientist, romance novelist and crusader kings 2 player chiming in. Now on to the writing with the vote tally:

Fuzzy believes and isn't surprised. There were a lot of votes for being skeptical or it being over her head, but more for believing as well as believing and being skeptical, with skepticism being a sort of detached cynicism and how awful humans are to one another. I'm rolling both in. A mix of belief and total lack of surprise that people do awful things to one another is just how you get by in the barrens. She's going to try and be kind to Edward, and Fuzzy is a very kind person because of how we played her in the first arc so her viewing him as weak makes her want to protect him.

Julie believes, but she also wants Marco to love her. She's definitely trying to drop friendship coins into Marco and hoping that relationship coins pop out. She's doing the "nice guy"/"nice girl" thing due to her attraction for him. It also means that she's going to feel entitled at some point as this view of relationships and love is basically a transaction which makes sense in a world dominated by late-stage capitalism. Also she's going to throw up again. This will effect her relationship going forward with Marco, but for now it'll work out with Edward in a positive way.

Sasha is all over the loving place. She believes, but she believes that cops doing this is morally repugnant in the extreme and loses her faith in Lone Star as a worthy adversary. She's horrified but also calculating. Not just in a cynical way, but for her own safety and the safety of her friends. However she's not going to endanger the people she cares about, or at least will try not to. She's going to ask Edward to recount the "LeBlanc Method" in more detail at a later date though because this will be an enormous boon if she can undermine one of Lone Star's best kept corporate secrets. Ares will be all about this not just to undermine a competitor, but maybe see if they can do a run on Lone Star so they can learn methods to duplicate the results. She is also going to externalize some of this anger onto Christina. I think because her relations with the group are good she won't try to do the cloak and dagger thing and try to milk Edward for information in public, but will want to ask the group if they want to get back at Lone Star for the hosed up things they've done.

Marco is loving furious. Everyone voted that he'd be mad and holy poo poo is he going to be mad. This is going to challenge his pacifism. So he'll be simple to write.

To put all of this in context, this is like the rewards that Fuzzy got. It's going to have far reaching consequences into arc 2.5, 3 and 4 and guide where these characters go unless we course correct. This conversation was going to change things if anyone there actually believed him. They all do and so they're all going to change with the exception of Fuzzy, but since Sasha and Fuzzy are dating and best friends their relationship will change.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 17, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I hope we don't course correct, because these all feel like very real, genuine reactions to what is a fundamentally horrifying tale of protracted child abuse

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hexenritter posted:

I hope we don't course correct, because these all feel like very real, genuine reactions to what is a fundamentally horrifying tale of protracted child abuse

Not to mention that two of them have their own private agendas. The contract for the policing renews yearly and that's coming up. Julie wants Marco and is willing to do what he wants to be in a relationship with him.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Edward, Marco, Fuzzy, Julie and Sasha - Friday October 20th - Early afternoon - Orc Underground, Our Abbey Underground

"Hey," whispered Fuzzy to Sasha.

Edward was still in the kitchen getting a drink. Marco was quiet and looked at the ground. Julie looked to Marco, her features unsure.

"Huh...What?" asked Sasha, distractedly.

She'd been lost in her own thoughts too.

"I want to invite him to sit with us. This couch has three seats and we're only using two," said Fuzzy.

Sasha grimaced and those big eyes of hers betrayed just how dubious she was at the prospect.

"Fuzzy, I've caught Kenji staring at my...My everything no less than five times last month," whispered Sasha. "I can read him. I know what he thinks about me."

Sasha blushed past her frustration. Fuzzy narrowed her eyes and suppressed her anger. Then she pursed her lips.

"Today too?" asked Fuzzy.

Sasha tried to remember what she'd said about his aura but shook her head slightly as she failed. She had to reexamine the memory, but her memory of his aura lacked something.

"No. It's just bad," she whispered. "I can't read him at all. It's just awfulness."

"Well if he tries to perv out on you I'll just hit him for real. You're mine. In the meantime I think we should help him," whispered Fuzzy.

Sasha bit her lip and blushed brighter for different reasons now.

"Is it bad that I like it when you get like this?" she whispered back.

Fuzzy smirked and scooted just far enough away from her girlfriend to make room, but not before taking off her devil rat coat and holding it out. Sasha took the hint and allowed Fuzzy to drape her coat over her shoulders. Sasha's doubts seemed to suddenly melt away for some strange reason. Julie for her part was speaking quickly and quietly to Marco. He had his fists balled up tight.

"I'll be right back," growled Marco.

He moved quickly and left via the front door. Edward stopped in the hall with his glass of water in his hand and looked down, his face entirely shadowed by his hoodie. He'd seen Marco leave.

"He'll be back," said Julie, nervously. "It's a lot for him to take in is all."

Edward's hood dipped once and he began to slowly move back to his seat.

"Hey," said Fuzzy.

She waved at him.

"We made room. C'mere."

"Uh, yeah," said Sasha, hesitantly.

Sasha snuggled into Fuzzy's coat. It was too small for her to wear, but instead she used it as a sort of blanket. Hesitantly Edward looked between his other seat and the vacated seat. It was never really a choice to him though. Carefully and awkwardly he maneuvered around a coffee table to sit between the two of them. Though there wasn't much room he was careful not to touch either of them and looked down. Everything about the way he sat screamed brittleness and anxiety. Fuzzy had no idea what to do. She hadn't thought this far ahead. Instead looked over to Sasha and implored her girlfriend with her eyes. She was better with people. Fuzzy had been learning about facts and figures after all and not people. It was Sasha that leaped to the rescue.

"Hi. I'm Sasha," she said, simply.

Edward stiffened at first when she touched his head to pull back his hoodie. That's when she caught where his eyes were. Sasha truly became convinced that this was not Kenji and the story was true not due to the story, not due to his previous actions, not even due to whatever horribleness in the astral, or Marco's vouching, but at this range Kenji Okamura never would've turned down a chance to leer at her chest. Sasha sighed slightly. This would've been so much easier if he'd just been playing them all. She wasn't sure if everything was true, but enough of it was. Instead he looked straight into her eyes and she became self-conscious, and wished he had stared anywhere else rather than into her eyes. After all she was still wearing her lame-rear end glasses. She decided to get his attention off her. Even without looking at him in the astral those eyes of his hurt to look into for reasons that had nothing to do with magic. There was something so pained, so lonely, and so very desperate in those eyes of his.

"This is Fuzzy, my girlfriend," she said.

Edward turned. It was strange to see Kenji's face. It wasn't filled with his normal arrogance and mockery. Instead it fear and anxiety was writ large upon his features.

"Hi Edward," said Fuzzy.

"And this is Julie, a friend of ours and Marco's," said Sasha.

She gestured to Julie and Julie nodded awkwardly at Edward. She looked somewhat uncomfortable, but not so much to keep from being polite at least.

"Hello," she said.

It seemed that she'd decided to touch that hot stove twice and this time ran once again to the bathroom to heave. She came back minutes later and sat down with a groan. Fuzzy and Sasha continued to squeeze Edward closer between them. Or at least Fuzzy did with tiny little scoots that Edward silently and gratefully accepted.

"Well that was dumb of me," she said, and blew a few strands of hair away from her face.

It was then that Marco came back through the door. He closed it quietly, took his shoes back off and moved back into the room. He paused as he saw Edward between Sasha and Fuzzy, smiled slightly and then took his place back on Devin's folding chair. His hair seemed mussed and his fingers were once again unclenched. What he'd went to do was anyone's guess and Marco wasn't saying.

"Sorry," said Marco. "Had to get some frustration out of me."

"Sorry," said Edward, automatically.

"It's not your fault," said Marco. "You don't need to apologize."

"Okay...So...You believe me? I'm not just...I'm not just dreaming here?" asked Edward, nervously.

"I believe you," said Marco.

"Me too," said Fuzzy.

"Yeah," said Julie, weakly.

"Definitely," said Sasha.

If anything this seemed to make Edward falter. His back didn't straighten. He gained no strength from their confidence. In fact his shoulders dipped. His next words were throatier and quivering.

"And you're not just...Just going to leave?" asked Edward.

"No," said Marco.

"Nope," said Sasha.

"No," said Julie, hesitantly.

Fuzzy scooted ever closer and smiled shyly.

It took a while for it all to sink in, but Edward broke down and began to cry. He'd been holding it together so long and all of that anguish rolled out of him. He almost became Kenji again to avoid it, but he couldn't once he truly got started. Sasha had a secret though. If this was truly LeBlanc, if this was the method it meant Lone Star, a corporation she'd once felt a small fondness for at least as rivals and fellow upholders of the law. She'd have to kill that compassion inside of her for them and she knew just how to do it. She took off her glasses and looked at that damaged, twisted soul of Edward's as it grieved and ground it deep into her memory like salt in the wound. She tried to grasp the feelings it evoked in her and all that ugliness danced away each time she tried, but she kept trying and kept failing. One moment her childhood dog had died, the next her family didn't love her, Fuzzy had just broken up with her, she'd been put in prison, her father lost his job, over and over she tried to comprehend and over and over she related that feeling back to LeBlanc and to Lone Star for abusing their power and experimenting on children. She set her jaw, put her glasses back on and hugged Edward hard. Fuzzy came next. Julie stood up and placed a hand on his head. Marco, last but not least put a hand on his shoulder. Marco silent prayed over him, but it wasn't just a prayer for peace, but vengeance if it was His will. The rest just reassured him with touch unknowing of the stirring rage in their friend. For Edward's part he simply bawled like a child. Neither Edward nor Kenji were shown even a sliver of this kindness in a very long time.

CYOA Time

There will be a small time skip forward while everyone gets their emotions in check. So what do we ask? Who asks it? Why?

I will say that Sasha respects the group enough not to approach Edward/Kenji on her own. She would have if we'd decided to toughen her up by getting her to agree with killing that deer. So good on you folks for not choosing that earlier. However she's not confident enough to share her information with the group for a multitude of reasons. She's just become aware of how dangerous it is and that her father handed her something she really shouldn't have. So she has to approach this delicately if she's going to ask at all.

Fuzzy rolled five dice with edge. She has 4 dice in charisma but we never improved her etiquette past 1 and we don't get her bonus dice in street cred because Edward doesn't know her. I rolled once, failed and then rolled again by using edge to reroll failures (all of them). Nada. Fuzzy is stumped. Sasha rolls and gets two hits. She's not getting her normal bonuses from being able to read peoples' emotions though. Normally she uses successes on assensing to add to charisma checks, but not right now.

Ice Phisherman fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Oct 17, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Julie should bluntly ask Edward what he wants to do now that he's told Kenji's friends his big secret. She seems like the kind of person who would try to move this situation forward as fast as possible now that it's got everyone's attention in order to get back to focusing on her needs, specifically Marco.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im betting Fuzzy has seen some nut jobs in the Barrens and asked Rat Man to explain whats wrong with them. He may have told her that one or two of them might just have different people in their head. Knowing this, and knowing Edward, she may just bluntly ask if anyone else lives in his head besides Kenji. And if not, can she call him Edji so as to not be confused?

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I don't really see anyone asking too many questions or prying until they have to react to something thrust on them from the outside. They all have their scars and understand the desire for privacy, unless Edward approaches them they aren't going to pick at him. Edward is not the type who seems to want vengeance, and his situation with Kenji seems relatively stable outside of his need to acquire more dust in order to appear normal. Given everything is relatively stable and pleasant at the moment it would seem he would just go with the flow of relatively mundane life. There is a danger that Edward whose finally found acceptance and love will leave Kenji off and debts will amount precipitously as he actually lives his life. However the Scooby gang (Fuzzy as stand in for Scoob) are all reasonably empathetic sentient beings who will support Edward (given the amount Marco spends on charity I am sure he would be willing help Edward/Kenji out with living-expenses for a time) and not dig into the fragile individual (however much they want to) unless forced to.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Im betting Fuzzy has seen some nut jobs in the Barrens and asked Rat Man to explain whats wrong with them. He may have told her that one or two of them might just have different people in their head. Knowing this, and knowing Edward, she may just bluntly ask if anyone else lives in his head besides Kenji. And if not, can she call him Edji so as to not be confused?

I could see Fuzzy asking this possibly to Kenji, but at the same time I could see her respecting that he is super fragile. I mean she isn't worldly and doesn't understand the normal rituals in human interactions, but she seems like a relatively good judge intentions and emotional states, which is necessary to survive in the Barrens. I could see her asking someone she respects/trusts and thinks of as being knowledgable the same question.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Ice Phisherman posted:

Sasha bit her lip and blushed brighter for different reasons now.

"Is it bad that I like it when you get like this?" she whispered back.

Oh lovely, possessiveness and codependency all wrapped up in teenage love. This can't possibly go sideways.

Ice Phisherman posted:

"Sorry," said Marco. "Had to get some frustration out of me."

So, there are a lot of dumpsters in the Underground with troll sized fist dents huh?

Ice Phisherman posted:

CYOA Time
There will be a small time skip forward while everyone gets their emotions in check. So what do we ask? Who asks it? Why?

Marco asks who's hungry and they all go grab a bite to eat.

I'm serious.

No one in this situation would begin questioning Edwards, and really, what are you going to ask him? What is even meaningful right now?

So, we do what we normally do when someone has an emotional break down.

We let them cry, we let them vent, we let them scrape themselves back together. Then, we feed them, which always makes everyone feel better, and, never underestimate the power of a shared meal.

Then, we make a call to Julian, because we can't just cram Edwards back into Kenji and go back to taking class. That old deal is dead; we're going to have to come up with a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

I honestly think Edward was going to trigger Kenji, then there will be questions, Edward seems to ever so slowly opening up, when he wasn't rejected.