Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

How do you ad block on an ios device

By not using an ios device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

remote desktop into a better OS does iOS have Firefox, and does it support plugins? It's the easiest way on android

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

because we have nothing good to talk about until odyssey comes out

Let's talk about how awesome Odyssey is going to be and how excited we are for it.

It will be. And I am.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
What I liked most about BotW was that it's huge world was actually fun to explore and there was almost always stuff to find. A lot of games do the whole "See that mountain? You can go there!" thing, but in this game it's actually fun & worthwhile more often than not. It nailed that sense of exploration and discovery that other open world games struggle to achieve.
I almost never used horses and spent a lot of time just exploring the open world within the game (rather than going from map icon to map icon like a lot of these games end up).

Also as a sheer statement of intent for the Switch it's impressive that they got a game of such size on a portable console. Almost as if to say, "Look developers, don't be fooled by it's small frame, this is what you can do on the Switch!"

MZ fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
botw does this fun thing where it fulfills the promise of an openworld game by actually putting A Thing on every nook and cranny of the map, even if it took them 900 deku nuts to do it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Calaveron posted:

iOS has adblockers you just have to use the browser and not the YT app

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Also when you go to that mountain in the distance you can actually climb it and not get invisible wall'd anytime you go up a slope that isn't part of the path.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Impermanent posted:

botw does this fun thing where it fulfills the promise of an openworld game by actually putting A Thing on every nook and cranny of the map, even if it took them 900 deku nuts to do it.

Agreed - it's the first game since Morrowind that's made me feel like just randomly exploring was actually worth it, and 99% of that comes from little bonus micropuzzles scattered around the environment that do almost nothing when you solve them.

Also, I'm excited for Mario Odyssey, and I haven't been excited for a Mario game I think since Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

food court bailiff posted:

Also, I'm excited for Mario Odyssey, and I haven't been excited for a Mario game I think since Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land.

where were you when galaxy 2 was about to come out you loving weirdo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Let's talk about how awesome Odyssey is going to be and how excited we are for it.

It will be. And I am.

i am excited for the upcoming release of super mario odyssey, a game by nintendo coming out on the nintendo switch on october twenty-seventh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Inferior Third Season posted:

The world of BotW basically is recovered. All of the towns are filled with people going about normal daily life with access to clean water and without food shortages. The only difference from before the calamity is that they can't go very near the castle and they're sometimes attacked by extremely weak and incompetent moblins while traveling between towns. If you have to live in a post-apocalyptic hellscape, you could do much worse than BotW Hyrule.

Hyrule wasn't post-apocalyptic either, it was a world on the edge of the abyss. Zelda sealing Ganon in the castle prevented (or at least delayed) the apocalypse and while the world was in a bad place, it wasn't like the World of Ruin in FF6 or the post-lavos future in Chrono Trigger.

Mad Katter posted:

I don't want to start any other games because Odyssey is coming out next week and I will forget about whatever I was playing.

Witcher 3 GOTY Edition is only :20bux: right now too.

:stonk:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

The Bloop posted:

It will be. And I am.

This is the most painful 10 days of my life

Much like the other 10 days before Video Game I Am Super Hyped For came out

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Hyrule wasn't post-apocalyptic either, it was a world on the edge of the abyss. Zelda sealing Ganon in the castle prevented (or at least delayed) the apocalypse and while the world was in a bad place, it wasn't like the World of Ruin in FF6 or the post-lavos future in Chrono Trigger.

Yeah, it'd be more accurate to say it's post-war combined with a collapse of the central government, given that the majority of the destruction was caused by the spider-bots and Guardians, with towns on the outskirts surviving relatively unharmed.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Calaveron posted:

I use a browser called ghostery. But awful app still links out in safari, and it seems to block all the interstitials on YouTube just not the intro ads.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

BotW Hyrule had a population of like 100 people, pretty weak rear end kingdom if you ask me

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Cause everyone else died

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
To the people confused about spelling Ganon with two vs. one "N" a page or so back -- it's how you'd write it if you translated his name from Japanese. Japanese doesn't have a way of writing something like "Ganon" without it sounding really weird since it'd be ga-no-n, the first "N" sound in gan-non wouldn't be there, so iirc Ganon in Japanese is written as Gannon, but the double-n is unnecessary when writing it in not-Japanese.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Xad posted:

To the people confused about spelling Ganon with two vs. one "N" a page or so back -- it's how you'd write it if you translated his name from Japanese. Japanese doesn't have a way of writing something like "Ganon" without it sounding really weird since it'd be ga-no-n, the first "N" sound in gan-non wouldn't be there, so iirc Ganon in Japanese is written as Gannon, but the double-n is unnecessary when writing it in not-Japanese.

That's not right, Ganon in Japanese is written as ガノン [ga-no-n]

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Xad posted:

Fake news

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
It's probably the opposite. They write gannon with the double n in english to make sure people will not pronouce it Gay-None

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
You can't stop me, it's Mayrio!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

aware of dog posted:

gyano~n

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Gyarunon

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

enojy posted:

gyano~n

I would watch that.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
Do eShop sales ever happen? There's a couple things I want to get (shovel Knight, Zelda DLC, I Am Setsuna, some other indie games).

Haven't really ever followed the eShop until now.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stumpus posted:

Do eShop sales ever happen? There's a couple things I want to get (shovel Knight, Zelda DLC, I Am Setsuna, some other indie games).

I believe there is a "Games on Sale" tab in the Switch eShop now.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Stumpus posted:

infrequently-- never really a big steam sale-esque situation more just "hey this developer wanted to put their games on sale"

we're coming up on the holidays though so i'd definitely expect at least shovel knight to go on sale

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

nerdz posted:

It's probably the opposite. They write gannon with the double n in english to make sure people will not pronouce it Gay-None

Gay-non

Gay-me-boy

Gay-mech-ubé

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Kaubocks posted:

infrequently-- never really a big steam sale-esque situation more just "hey this developer wanted to put their games on sale"

we're coming up on the holidays though so i'd definitely expect at least shovel knight to go on sale

They've also done stuff like, "New Kirby game coming out, sale on old Kirby games." Or "New Smash on the way, sale on games featuring the fighters." Doesn't really apply to the Switch until the library gets bigger or Virtual Console exists, but the 3DS/Wii U stuff would be on sale.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So long , gay non

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

They should bring back the Wario World series for the Switch

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They should bring back the Wario World series for the Switch

Or Wario Ware

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I mean Hyrule is still full of ruins and the world still hasn't quite recovered from what the game implies was pretty much one evening of destruction

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Any world where Lon Lon Ranch is destroyed is post-apocalyptic

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mons Hubris posted:

Or Wario Ware

I want both. It’s really cool that Wario has not one but two great series’

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

aware of dog posted:

Oh okay, I have no idea then :v:

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
why the gently caress doesn't mario 3d world's endgame mystery house have at least one checkpoint or 2

there's like 40 stars in it what is this stupid poo poo

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kawabata posted:

why the gently caress doesn't mario 3d world's endgame mystery house have at least one checkpoint or 2

there's like 40 stars in it what is this stupid poo poo

Is there a Mario 3D World game on the Switch?

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
No. There isn't. This gently caress is posting about the wrong system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do have a fairly major complaint against BotW.

I really dislike the Shrines, overall, how they are implemented. They feel completely at odds with the immersive overworld environment. The fact that there aren't random heart pieces to be found in caves or underwater or at the conclusion of sidequests sort of kills my want to do them, since at best I get a decent piece of breakable equipment. The shrines seem to be the meat of the game's content and they're all basically little context-free pocket dimensions that I go down into. They're like the barrel minigames in DK64.

If they had somehow managed to integrate upgrade progression into the main explorable world, like most every other Zelda before, I'd be all for this game being GOTY. As it stands, though, I sort of feel cheated out of things I've come to love Zelda for, these really unique, individual moments that made the world seem a bit more lively. There is still this aspect, but it's taken hours and hours of playing through the overworld to start getting to the parts of the game where the Zelda aspect seems strongest. I'd also say that a lot of the content is variable in quality -- I hate basically every stealth section the game has introduced so far and that's been an awful lot of them. The forest of the Koroks was especially obnoxious to get through, and all for a no-prize at that.

Climbing and exploring and getting around is excellent, the world has a lot of attention to detail -- but none of that detail seems to really translate into much of relevance for me, the player, since I know I'm only going to get money or weaponry as a reward from any given thing I encounter. The random boss fights you can stumble into are really incredible, but it's sort of a shame that there's nothing unique to be earned from them, just better loot and resources and stuff.

• Locked thread