Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

tweet my meat posted:

He must be doing something right because god drat they make some good chicken tenders, best in the fast food business probably.

Is this something that changes across the Mississippi river? I heard this spoken like gospel by a friend who visiting the chain when over in Georgia or SC and when I went to the Raising Canes out in SoCal their chicken tenders were like a drier, less flavorful version of Carl's Jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Republicans posted:

Washington state, it's cool. We're next-door neighbors.

oh yeah, you good

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Sweet, sudden all store meeting tomorrow we all just found out about today. Those are always fun.

Pray for Buss.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Sweet, sudden all store meeting tomorrow we all just found out about today. Those are always fun.

Pray for Buss.

I will, but I feel the need to remind you not to gnaw any parts of yourself off to escape.

For a plethora of reasons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bussamove posted:

Pray for Buss.

Got a backup gig arranged?

I'm 3/3 on those resulting in 'so we're closing'.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, those meetings can go two ways. Either it's this is the poo poo that needs to get done.

Or,

Sorry everyone we are closing the shop.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I've got a wierd question that came my way.

A friend wants to hire a chef to cook for them on vacation, two meals a day for four weeks.

What do you charge for a service like that? Hourly? flat rate? Who pays for the food?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
They pay for food, and I'd charge $60/meal. If they want a live in chef for a month, then it gets pricier, like $1k/wk.

Iirc there is some service like Lyft but for chefs, just do t remember the name of it. Last time I looked it was a bunch of soccer mom's who had taken a course at Whole Foods trying to charge $50 a meal.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
I guess my boss and Chef Dicklips got to talking about promotions and now Chef Dicklips is being real fake nice to me and complimenting me and soliciting my opinion and such and this monkeys paw really doesn't gently caress around

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Is there a better way to store live mussels than a perf pan in a bigger one with wet towels? Like would they do better in a cambro of salt water? The owner won't let me keep them off the menu but we sell alllllllmost as many as die in the cooler.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Rugikiki posted:

Is there a better way to store live mussels than a perf pan in a bigger one with wet towels? Like would they do better in a cambro of salt water? The owner won't let me keep them off the menu but we sell alllllllmost as many as die in the cooler.

Get in the vac packed mussels, those actually hold relatively well and don't completely taste like garbage.

Otherwise no, perf pan on top of some ice is about all you can do.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
ate at fancyish place tonight

waitress asked if we had any questions

I ask 'is there anything off the menu?'

waitress helpfully explain 'everything is off the menu, we write a new one every night! get new ingredients daily'

my bestwife helpfully chimes in 'but has anything been 69'd?'

I had to leave the table lol ow ow ow my sides

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

"I'll have the Spotted Dick for dessert please."

"I'm sorry sir that's been 69'd."

I am a child.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
:lol:

Also yeah just get the vac sealed mussels from the distributor. They hold up well and aren't bad either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I just ordered some chinese food off Grubhub, and got seriously worried when I saw they had a tipping guide for delivery drivers, but was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be pretty good.
https://www.grubhub.com/thecrave/essential-guide-to-tipping-your-driver

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
i aspire to one day haunt this straunt as a gnarled figure in pinstripe pants growling "fiiiiiifooooooooo" at anyone who will listen (no one will)

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

SHVPS4DETH posted:

i aspire to one day haunt this straunt as a gnarled figure in pinstripe pants growling "fiiiiiifooooooooo" at anyone who will listen (no one will)

No one ever does :(

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We just got on UberEats this week and I was shocked at many people are willing to pay someone to get golf course food for them. Guess we're doing something right.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Republicans posted:

We just got on UberEats this week and I was shocked at many people are willing to pay someone to get golf course food for them. Guess we're doing something right.

We had someone order a soda and cheese fries once off UberEats. :psyduck:

Then we have the people who like to order in the middle of a Packer game and it'll take forever and a half to find a driver.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

iospace posted:

We had someone order a soda and cheese fries once off UberEats. :psyduck:

Then we have the people who like to order in the middle of a Packer game and it'll take forever and a half to find a driver.

A lot of people who use UberEats are drunk and/or stoned and are either too lazy or inebriated to drive or cook. I know a guy who was notorious for this for awhile, he'd order dinner every night for 4-5 nights before checking to see how much he was spending.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

No one ever does :(

:( :respek: :hai:

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!

We have some interesting dessert options.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Disargeria posted:

We have some interesting dessert options.

Poor cow literally died to be ruined as a meat

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Millefeuille is one of those things I immediately want to try when I'm reminded it exists but I never have the opportunity. Probably just gonna have to make some one of these days, but I'd be kinda happy to never work with phyllo again after making baklava for almost four years.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Recoome posted:

Poor cow literally died to be ruined as a meat

Maybe it's beef Wellington? :ohdear:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I've learned over time to stop giving a gently caress over how people like their beef.

PurplPenisEata
Jul 21, 2004
I WANT TO BLOW DOUCHEBAG CHEFS

iospace posted:

I've learned over time to stop giving a gently caress over how people like their beef.

But it is very important to me that others enjoy things in exactly the way I do. If they do not enjoy a thing exactly as I enjoy a thing they are exactly wrong.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

PurplPenisEata posted:

But it is very important to me that others enjoy things in exactly the way I do. If they do not enjoy a thing exactly as I enjoy a thing they are exactly wrong.

But I do not enjoy the way you post!

(I keed, I keed!)

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2017/10/john_besh_restaurants_fostered.html#incart_2box_nola_river_orleans_news

:stare:

quote:

Another employee, a former Domenica waitress who asked to remain anonymous, said she complained multiple times over two years about a male colleague who made sexual comments and showed her inappropriate photos.

"He would say, 'Hey, you want to see a picture of a baby's arm?' And he'd show you and it would be his penis," the woman said. The woman, who quit Domenica just before her first child was born in 2015, said the same man repeatedly asked for her breast milk "because he wanted to drink it."

Eventually, the woman and others at the restaurant complained to management, said the woman and another former Domenica waitress, Allison Consoli.

Consoli estimated it was one of four times she herself tried to file an official complaint about the same male worker with Domenica's managers. That doesn't include the time Consoli said two superiors stood and watched the man harass her to the point of near tears without intervening.

Asked what the coworker said that made her cry, Consoli replied, "He'd always talk about anal sex with me or using toys on me or me being a 'backdoor beauty.' It was along those lines, but I don't remember exactly what he said. There were so many things, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what it was that time."

quote:

The woman filed her EEOC complaint against BRG in December, shortly after she severed ties with the company. In an attachment to her EEOC intake questionnaire, she described a "long-term unwelcome sexual relationship" with Besh that began when she was 24, in the summer of 2015. In the EEOC complaint, the woman alleged Besh worked to "coerce" her "to submit to his sexual overtures" on work-related trips.

The complaint said during the same 2015 California trip in which the woman alleged Besh came to her hotel room and had sex with her, he also "insisted on staying in her room at a hotel in Beverly Hills" one night, and that she "stay with him at his hotel in Culver City" the next two nights.

The woman's complaint said in a trip to Austin, in September 2015, Besh came to her room and "continued to attempt to coerce (her) to submit to his sexual overtures." In a trip to New York in October 2015, "after repeated pressure from JBesh to 'say you love me,' JBesh brought (her) back to his hotel and insisted she stay with him during the trip," the woman's complaint said. The document added: "From that time until at least May 2016, JBesh continued to expect (her) to stay in his hotel room and engage in a sexual relationship."

According to the complaint, the woman felt "overwhelmed and intimidated by JBesh's power, and she worked in a corporate culture that suggested (she) was expected to keep JBesh 'happy' so he could continue to cook 'happy' food."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

PurplPenisEata posted:

This guy gets it!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kitchens are the worst. I've had multiple female coworkers tell me they were groped at multiple restaurants.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

Kitchens are the worst. I've had multiple female coworkers tell me they were groped at multiple restaurants.

This seems like a big deal.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/23/us/john-besh-sexual-harassment.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Oh I think so.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2017/10/besh_steak_harrahs.html

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I wonder what the overlap is between the ego to name a company after yourself and the sense of entitlement required to grope women you've just met (and the allegations against Besh go way beyond groping).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Skwirl posted:

I wonder what the overlap is between the ego to name a company after yourself and the sense of entitlement required to grope women you've just met (and the allegations against Besh go way beyond groping).

you just described a perfect circle.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

The personal allegations are serious, but the rot alleged in the article is pretty extensive throughout the company which may be even more ruinous.

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/food_restaurants/article_4b4238c6-b831-11e7-bcad-d336a1159d7e.html

Seems like this is going to be very costly. Maybe even fatal.

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 23, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Seems like this is going to be very costly. Maybe even fatal.

Wonder if Alon Shaya knew this was coming.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

ulmont posted:

Wonder if Alon Shaya knew this was coming.

He claims he got fired for going to the newspaper and complained before about not having an HR department. But seems like convenient timing considering Anderson’s article isn’t exactly flattering toward Alon either. I could imagine the EEOC investigations and other problems being part of what made him leave, though.

Also he is trying to buy Shaya so has a vested interest in decreasing its value while also separating himself from BRG.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eater.com/platform/amp/2017/10/23/16520052/alon-shaya-john-besh-sexual-harassment-statement

Phil Moscowitz fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 24, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
i just took my elderly mother to the release event for jonathan gold's top 101 list, a bit of a to do here in la. we came across roy choi, who i casually pointed out to her as we passed, only to have her toddle up to him and start burbling about her son who's also a chef. only a mother's love could raise someone who was once a line cook at a greasy spoon to the be equal with the progenitor of the food truck movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
It doesn't matter how many times I explain that being a line cook is NOT the same as being a chef, my mother insists on telling everyone I am, along with a few other people in my life. While it's probably not true for other people, I've found that whether or not people care about being accurate and not mocking me and the profession with the ol pat on the head "Oh but honey, you're a chef to meeee." garbage is a good metric for whether people actually give a poo poo about you as a person or they just want to say their son/whatever is a ~*Chef*~ at dinner parties to tray to make themselves look good. They are also generally the same people who feel that it's okay to come in to my place of work to chit chat in the middle of rush and then act hurt when you can't drop everything to have lunch with them.