Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I don't see anything wrong with that. That's how I cook with oil, salt, pepper and spices.
"A little bit more, a little bit more..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Same except with butter

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
The Ocean Queen smoked oysters I got were actually gross. Chewy and flavorless, all the bad parts of smoked oysters with none of the good.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

So if there's 100 calories in a tablespoon of olive oil...

just chug the whole bottle goddamn

naem
May 29, 2011

Olive oil is cholesterol free and low in sat fat

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
~*the Mediterranean diet*~

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Zoe posted:

So if there's 100 calories in a tablespoon of olive oil...

just chug the whole bottle goddamn

What do you do with the 2-3 tablespoons in your dine can?????

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I save them up from a Costco pack then turn them into fishshakes

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Oh hello dine dads. Just catching up on 10 pages of thread.

Just ate a can of bumblebee in mustard on saltines with some tapatio because I like to try everything. Not bad, actually. Big fishies though if you're a small-dine snob. The mustard itself wasn't amazing, but I did scoop the last of it out of the can with a saltine, so.

White anchovy - toast some good bread, rub with a half a garlic clove, and use the crusty surface to grate some fresh tomato. Put anchovy on it, with a little oil from the can. Eat.

Regular anchovies - some questions 10 pages ago or so - you can rinse em and pat em dry if you want to cut down the salt a little. I don't. If you aren't adding a few anchovies when you make spaghetti sauce you are missing out on the best things in life. throw em in and mash em a little when you sweat the onion.

Fresh grilled portuguese dines a few pages ago - poo poo that looks great.

Oysters do get herpes, but not the same kind people do - you can't get herpes from oysters. Eat the dang oysters.

w/b S-G!

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

pr0k posted:

Oysters do get herpes, but not the same kind people do - you can't get herpes from oysters. Eat the dang oysters.

w/b S-G!

Can't hurt to get your Hep A/B vaccine though.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Only if you plan on loving the oysters.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Hep-A is from seafood, Hep-B is from sex.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pr0k posted:

Only if you plan on loving the oysters.

Heh heh. Who would do that?

*shuffles feet*

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

If you turn 'em sideways it's like eating a Japanese oyster

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

If you go camping without bringing a half dozen tins of various dines, kippers, and smoked oysters, then brother, I don't know how to fix what's wrong with you.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Today I saw a can of octopus tentacles.

Just why.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Octopus tentacle is good but I'm being told octopuses can be very intelligent so I'm thinking I won't eat them anymore. I haven't researched it squids seem dumb as poo poo so I'll keep on keepin on with those for now.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Rough Lobster posted:

Octopus tentacle is good but I'm being told octopuses can be very intelligent so I'm thinking I won't eat them anymore. I haven't researched it squids seem dumb as poo poo so I'll keep on keepin on with those for now.

All cephalapods are smart, really too smart, and while I appreciate these are now dead and safely contained, I still do not want to eat any part of them.

Don't feel bad for them ever BTW they're a cold evil alien intelligence and will eventually get us all.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Octopus is pretty tasty but the canned stuff is a bit rubbery. I stopped eating it because I watched a documentary about octopuses and I felt bad for them, so you wouldn't be the first.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I love octopus but I've never had canned octopus that wasn't rubbery and bad

naem
May 29, 2011

Zoe posted:

All cephalapods are smart, really too smart, and while I appreciate these are now dead and safely contained, I still do not want to eat any part of them.

Don't feel bad for them ever BTW they're a cold evil alien intelligence and will eventually get us all.

https://youtu.be/9Fkl312lldQ

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
if you feel too guilty to eat cephalopods I respect that but I 100% know any of them would eat me in a second so I just consider it a preemptive strike. Maybe the sight of my local market selling delicious octopus for eating is what keeps them at bay.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I'm sure that's a very interesting video but I noped out of there pretty fast because lol just no. gently caress the ocean.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

HOT DIGGITITY drat Trader Joe's Smoke Trout is excellent. Thank you to the kind 'dine dad that posted about them an eon ago. Not too smokey, not too salty, no "fishy" flavor. Seriously good stuff. Made in Germany.

Cracked open a tin while visiting the parents and plopped some chunks onto water crackers. The Pinot Gris was an excellent pairing, the clean tart taste complemented the tasty fish treat. My canned fish was loved by even the strongest naysayer.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
How are Hot Titus and Sumaco 'dines? I've never seen them anywhere, but I haven't checked any of our local Asian markets for 'dines, and I suspect that's where I would find them. I know some local banh mi places offer a sardine banh mi (we have a huge Vietnamese population here, with lots of restaurants and markets), and apparently Sumaco is the standard 'dine they use, in tomato sauce.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BaconCopter posted:

HOT DIGGITITY drat Trader Joe's Smoke Trout is excellent. Thank you to the kind 'dine dad that posted about them an eon ago. Not too smokey, not too salty, no "fishy" flavor. Seriously good stuff. Made in Germany.

Cracked open a tin while visiting the parents and plopped some chunks onto water crackers. The Pinot Gris was an excellent pairing, the clean tart taste complemented the tasty fish treat. My canned fish was loved by even the strongest naysayer.

hot drat

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

How are Hot Titus and Sumaco 'dines? I've never seen them anywhere, but I haven't checked any of our local Asian markets for 'dines, and I suspect that's where I would find them. I know some local banh mi places offer a sardine banh mi (we have a huge Vietnamese population here, with lots of restaurants and markets), and apparently Sumaco is the standard 'dine they use, in tomato sauce.

My first 'dine was a hot titus and tbh I don't remember it much. It wasn't spicy. Meh middle of the road dine iirc. Cheap when on sale at asian markets - buck a can here.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Zoe posted:

If they are so smart then why do they keep ending up in our cans?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

BaconCopter posted:

I've been impressed by almost every Trader Joe's canned fish offering. I've tried a bunch of them, and they're consistently good. Their kippers are my absolute favorite.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'm going get all the canned fish at Trader Joe's tomorrow

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
I bought some steak and kidney pies along with some scottish smoked kipper at the british import goods store today.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm going get all the canned fish at Trader Joe's tomorrow

Trip report: I didn't get poo poo. I must have gone to the wrong one because the selection was garbage. Where dem harissas at??? KIPPERSS

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Trip report: I didn't get poo poo. I must have gone to the wrong one because the selection was garbage. Where dem harissas at??? KIPPERSS

Their harissa dines, smoked trout, and mackerel are all good

I have a friend that shops there and I just give her $15 and let her choose tinned fish for me

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Haven't seen the Hrissas at TJ's in about six months maybe. I'd be mad that I didn't load up before then, but I did, and I ate them, including the bones.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

I helped an old man at the supermarket find braunschweiger today and he was so pleased that he thanked me and shook my hand. My dadly food expertise has never paid off so richly.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Keith Atherton posted:

Their harissa dines, smoked trout, and mackerel are all good

I have a friend that shops there and I just give her $15 and let her choose tinned fish for me

Is the trout supposed to be boneless skinless? I didn't pick it up because bones rule. Buuiut if that's how it always is, I will grab a can.

They only had trout, tuna, and olive oil and water dines. Sad times.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Is the trout supposed to be boneless skinless? I didn't pick it up because bones rule. Buuiut if that's how it always is, I will grab a can.

They only had trout, tuna, and olive oil and water dines. Sad times.

It is boneless/skinless, but still totally worth it. I love kippers a whole bunch and this knocked them out of the park.

That being said I haven't tried TJ kippers or harissa dines yet... another expedition awaits...

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I helped an old man at the supermarket find braunschweiger today and he was so pleased that he thanked me and shook my hand. My dadly food expertise has never paid off so richly.

:3:

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

I posted in the last thread about sitting next to an old man at my neighborhood bar and we ended up talking about sardines

The next time I came in he pulled a can of Orleans brand sardines out of his pocket for me

I brought him a tin of Belas the next time and he didn't want them :smith:

Should have brought KOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Trout bones will choke you, they're not huge but they're not little either. Don't eat the dang bones.