Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

orange sky posted:

I think Microsoft will pretty much dry up the partners by taking on those kinds of projects themselves. As the infrastructure gets away from partners, so does most of the actual engineering work. I thank my lucky stars I still get some random scripting jobs, because most of the time it's doing sales presentations and enabling poo poo in the Azure/Office portal and building materials for change management (this actually sells really well).

Microsoft has pretty much abandoned anyone with < 500 employees to the partner base to chew on. On things like Office 365, Microsoft actually makes more if they sell it through a partner via the CSP program as the partner takes on the burden of first line support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Mods?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Dick Trauma posted:

Canadian? More like CLAMATO DOWN eh! :canada:

More of a Caesar Down if you think aboot it.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dick Trauma posted:

Canadian? More like CLAMATO DOWN eh! :canada:

You'll take my Caesars out of my cold, frost-bitten, dead hands

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

Sepist posted:

This is great info thank you. Unfortunately it's not really gonna go to use. Based on conversations I've had with the president of our divison this past week, these guys don't really have any intention of utilizing me like that. My goal here was to get the CISO title before the ship sinks and it looks like that won't happen so I'll probably join some friends at either presidio or eplus after I get my year end bonus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know some good people over at ePlus. If I ever had to work for another VAR it would probably be there.

Sorry to hear about your boss making GBS threads on your dreams though. Always makes me sad to see ambition tossed aside.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

No :yotj: for me yet. Hiring managers don't understand whats going on but HR is blocking them.

Kinda strange situation and I'm not sure what to make of it. They suggested to apply again in a few months.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Company covers my healthcare monthly payment. I actually pay less, so they more than cover my healthcare.

Downside is. I may not get my contract extended. Game flopped hard and company is closing down studios.
I told my boss that my contract is expiring in 2 months and that I would like an update on it. He said I want to keep you but final decision is up to the CEO in US.
He's having a talk with him next week.
I guess i'll know next week if i still have a job in 2018

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Sefal posted:

Company covers my healthcare monthly payment. I actually pay less, so they more than cover my healthcare.

Downside is. I may not get my contract extended. Game flopped hard and company is closing down studios.
I told my boss that my contract is expiring in 2 months and that I would like an update on it. He said I want to keep you but final decision is up to the CEO in US.
He's having a talk with him next week.
I guess i'll know next week if i still have a job in 2018

Were I you, if you want to stay, I'd let him know that, but that you've started looking around. If the boss doesn't suck, that will put aome pressure on him to get you an answer sooner, and may actually get the boss to push a bit more to keep you.

Obviously that is highly dependent on factors I don't know about, but in a vaccum...

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

MANime in the sheets posted:

Were I you, if you want to stay, I'd let him know that, but that you've started looking around. If the boss doesn't suck, that will put aome pressure on him to get you an answer sooner, and may actually get the boss to push a bit more to keep you.

Obviously that is highly dependent on factors I don't know about, but in a vaccum...

I told him, that I would like to stay here. He asked if I liked this place. I said yeah. This place is fun. Plenty to do, plenty to learn. I like working with you, but I also like to have a job.

While I didn't say explicitly that I was looking. I said it more on the lines. "I would like to know if I need to look for another job."
I like my boss. He can be an idiot but he's been good to me.
Last thing he said to me about that ,was that he needs to talk with the US CEO about it. Do I get permanent or yearly extension.
I told him. I would like permanent.

Time to wait. I don't think there is more i can do.
I think he understands my rush to know this.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

LochNessMonster posted:

No :yotj: for me yet. Hiring managers don't understand whats going on but HR is blocking them.

Kinda strange situation and I'm not sure what to make of it. They suggested to apply again in a few months.

Or, here's another suggestion: Don't, because this is a red flag.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Yeah, the hiring process should not be a magic eight ball. Run away.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Either the company is so disfunctional that nobody talks to each other honestly, which is a super lovely place to work, or the hiring manager knows exactly why hr won't approve the hire and is lying to avoid an uncomfortable conversation, which is a super lovely place to work.

Bail.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fil5000 posted:

Speaking of hiring. My company has a serious need of developers. Right now we are paying out the nose for contractors from a company for certain projects so no hopes of converting them as they are basically on loan. They have also tried contract to hire despite no other department in the company doing it that way with basically no success.

The bigger issue is the SR guys we do have are toxic as gently caress when it comes to hiring new employees. Every day they openly mock resumes and it has become a big game. This isn't all that uncommon but I reading an email thread where a helpdesk refereed a developer friend for a job posting. The development manager collects the passable resumes and hands them out to the devs for opinions on. The most SR dev was getting in first thing in the morning , saw the resume of the referal on his desk, picked it up and exclaimed across the office "Who put this human pile of garbage on my desk?". Turns out it was resume of the referral and he did this in front of the referrer.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Sickening posted:

Speaking of hiring. My company has a serious need of developers. Right now we are paying out the nose for contractors from a company for certain projects so no hopes of converting them as they are basically on loan. They have also tried contract to hire despite no other department in the company doing it that way with basically no success.

The bigger issue is the SR guys we do have are toxic as gently caress when it comes to hiring new employees. Every day they openly mock resumes and it has become a big game. This isn't all that uncommon but I reading an email thread where a helpdesk refereed a developer friend for a job posting. The development manager collects the passable resumes and hands them out to the devs for opinions on. The most SR dev was getting in first thing in the morning , saw the resume of the referal on his desk, picked it up and exclaimed across the office "Who put this human pile of garbage on my desk?". Turns out it was resume of the referral and he did this in front of the referrer.

I think it's time to start having a conversation about Full Gay Space Communism Now.

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The Fool posted:

Drafted MFA announcement e-mails for my boss to review and send out tomorrow, and MFA will be turned on in two weeks.

After some back and forth, MFA will be required for all remote access no exceptions :getin:

This project has been a long slog. Lots of people dragging their feet because they're lazy and don't like change, but also don't want to be seen as being against good security.

How’d you persuade all your users that installing the MFA App. On their personal phone doesn’t mean you’re spying on them?

That’s my biggest issue with MFA not cost or anything technical.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

How’d you persuade all your users that installing the MFA App. On their personal phone doesn’t mean you’re spying on them?

Yep, definitely a complicated space. How do you require people to have smart phones but not pay all your employees for their smart phones? Issues smart phones to the entire company isn't a realistic goal with all that is involved. We have discussed a stipend or going with a physical device, all are costly.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

The email went out yesterday and there hasn’t been much of an outcry yet.

However, my users fall into one of three categories:

1. They have a work provided phone that is 100% paid for.

2. They opted to use their own phone and get a stipend.

3. Remote work is not required for their job, therefore the mfa policy won’t affect them.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Methanar posted:

You'll take my Caesars out of my cold, frost-bitten, dead hands

Agreed.

Hail Caesar!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Tab8715 posted:

I have mine (Centrify) set up through Google Authenticator, so I'm not worried about the company there. Before that, we were using something else and I'd just set it up on my workstation, since MFA was not required to log into the laptop. One of my coworkers figured out how to make the whole thing portable, so I copied the same couple files on my home PC for the very rare occasion I worked from home.

I may go back to that since they too have put everything I need behind MFA and we're no longer allowing machines off the domain to use the VPN. If my laptop is at work and I'm contageous, I'll take a sick day rather than trying to work through Citrix.

e: I occasionally forget to grab my phone when leaving for work, it's a HUGE hassle to get MFA reset to call into one of our few direct lines to authenticate that way - everything else, including email, is behind Centrify.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 18, 2017

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Tab8715 posted:

Makes me wonder if it wouldn't be a decent idea for someone to build some lovely device that ties into google authenticator/other MFA apps. So you can just give your recalcitrant employees some $20 stick and neatly sidestep all the paranoia. Seems like the sort of thing kickstarter is made for.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We could call them RSA hardware tokens. :aaaaa:

That is my approach to the 2fa on the phone problem. We use Duo Security (not to be confused with Google's Duo) and it just prompts you on your phone when you try to log in. If you object to installing it on your phone, we have a hardware token for you to carry around and you get to enter a number each time you log in.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
There are also grid cards to really annoy people who refuse to use their phone.

My long term goal is to make a kickstarter for a weak MFA that uses overly personal questions as the second authentication form such as "generally how much do you spend on Wendy's per day?" And "what reasons did your wife provide for filing divorce?"

Sepist fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 18, 2017

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Unrelated to MFA, the MTA has come a long way in regards to connectivity on the subway. I managed to seamlessly stream Pandora from Penn station down to World Trade without loss. Only a few years ago that was unheard of.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Sepist posted:

Unrelated to MFA, the MTA has come a long way in regards to connectivity on the subway. I managed to seamlessly stream Pandora from Penn station down to World Trade without loss. Only a few years ago that was unheard of.

What, actually making it from Penn to WTC?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sepist posted:

There are also grid cards to really annoy people who refuse to use their phone.

My long term goal is to make a kickstarter for a weak MFA that uses overly personal questions as the second authentication form such as "generally how much do you spend on Wendy's per day?" And "what reasons did your wife provide for filing divorce?"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

drat, shut down before I could even begin wasting money on another failed business idea

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator can't really phone home to your org. That's not what the apps do. Hell, people could very well have either or both installed already to provide MFA to their own services. You would just be adding another service on to it. I already used Microsoft Authenticator if my own personal Microsoft account, so importing another token was no big deal.

Besides all that, court cases have already determined that if your org harvests ANY personal data though device management tools, they can be completely hosed in a lawsuit. Essentially, the only thing an MDM is allowed to do is use system hooks to determine the compliance of the device with security policies. Even remote wipe against personal devices can land your org in legal trouble now unless you were able to prove that they had data that was sensitive enough to warrant such measures and that you were unable to work with the person directly to remove the data from the phone without issuing a remote wipe.

Basically, if you surprise wipe people's personal phones while they are in talking to HR about their dismissal, lube up if they have a competent lawyer.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 18, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google Authenticator or Microsoft Authenticator can't really phone home to your org. That's not what the apps do. Hell, people could very well have either or both installed already to provide MFA to their own services. You would just be adding another service on to it.

Besides all that, court cases have already determined that if your org harvests ANY personal data though device management tools, they can be completely hosed in a lawsuit. Essentially, the only thing an MDM is allowed to do is use system hooks to determine the compliance of the device with security policies. Even remote wipe against personal devices can land your org in legal trouble now unless you were able to prove that they had data that was sensitive enough to warrant such measures and that you were unable to work with the person directly to remove the data from the phone without issuing a remote wipe.

Basically, if you surprise wipe people's person as l phones while they are in talking to HR about their dismissal, lube up if they have a competent lawyer.

I was told to remote wipe two phones in my career and I "forgot" to do it each time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

GOLDFISH CAN'T RUN AWAY

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

GOLDFISH CAN'T RUN AWAY

The good news is that your goldfish was sent to live on a Big Happy Farm with lots of other goldfish where they have lots of room to swim.

The bad news:

Fire Consumes Big Happy Farm Where Families Send Sick Dogs To Run Free And Play

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

bull3964 posted:

Basically, if you surprise wipe people's personal phones while they are in talking to HR about their dismissal, lube up if they have a competent lawyer.

This is why some (a lot/most? I don't know as I haven't looked in a while) MDM providers are adding in a method to do MAM and Sandboxing. If all the company apps (even email) are sandboxed from the rest of the phone, where they can't even copy and paste data out to other apps you can wipe and remove those without touching a users personal poo poo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

TheFace posted:

This is why some (a lot/most? I don't know as I haven't looked in a while) MDM providers are adding in a method to do MAM and Sandboxing. If all the company apps (even email) are sandboxed from the rest of the phone, where they can't even copy and paste data out to other apps you can wipe and remove those without touching a users personal poo poo.

This is correct

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You still have to have the conversation with users about "we won't wipe your phone, just the work apps" but yeah, that's how we did it. Took a two hour long company-wide meeting where we basically just repeated different variations of "no, we can't see your pictures" over and over and even physically demonstrating how little information we have access to via the administrative tools before people stopped trying to lynch the IT department, but was worth it in the long run.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
At $JOB-1, where I had to actually interact with users, I made sure to never leave my desk without my 'I read your emails' mug.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Ugh, I didn't spell check an email from my phone and just asked what time we are meeting at the cucumber

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Ugh, I didn't spell check an email from my phone and just asked what time we are meeting at the cucumber

What, did they schedule it for the carrot instead?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Proteus Jones posted:

nah it was cabbage

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

The cutesy conference room naming has gotten utterly out of hand

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Kashuno posted:

Or, here's another suggestion: Don't, because this is a red flag.

Yeah I'm not going to apply again.

Fil5000 posted:

Weirdest thing is the hiring manager asked me to apply because I got recommended by several people that are working for him.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Either the company is so disfunctional that nobody talks to each other honestly, which is a super lovely place to work, or the hiring manager knows exactly why hr won't approve the hire and is lying to avoid an uncomfortable conversation, which is a super lovely place to work.

Bail.

The guy is pretty straightforward and from what I heard one of the most (sometimes even brutally) honest people you'll meet. So I kinda believe him not knowing (and I distrust managers by default). The suggestion to apply again sounded like bypassing some HR/political bullshit.

As Fil5000 said, a hiring process is not supposed to be a magic 8ball. If you ask me to apply and do several interviews / screenings, you cannot come up with "I don't get it, I really want to hire you but HR won't let me".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Aunt Beth posted:

The cutesy conference room naming has gotten utterly out of hand
ours are named Tabs and Spaces