Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I bet you could just sort of walk in and take stuff from Sears at this point. It's not like the employees are going to get any money out of it when the doors shut.

Edit: And yeah, Canadian retailers have treated Levi's like it was really high end denim since forever. I couldn't believe when I found a site online that would sell Levi's for regular American prices, I thought they must have been fake at first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
Do you think there will be any deals? All the recent bankruptcy sales have been pretty much poo poo. No real discounts.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The article you quoted says "Retailer hopes to starts liquidation sales no earlier than Oct. 19" so there are no liquidation prices yet. Still doesn't justify $89 though.

:confuoot: Wow, I'm dumb.

Oddly enough, I think Sears Canada will be missed in a way. It became the retailer that everyone loved to hate. Without Sears, Target or Zellers around, who do we have to complain about other than grocery stores and American transplants?

Sears did deserve the contempt they got though. They thought they could coast off of all the ridiculously cheap former Eaton's leases they acquired, and their stores were dreary time capsules and looked the same as I remember them looking in the mid 1990s.

They never had the goodwill that Sears had in the USA because they were only around as a standalone operation since the early 1980s.

In Canada, the dominant department store was Eaton's. which was owned by the Eaton family until it went bankrupt in 1999. Eaton's, founded in the 1860s, was Canada's version of the everything store with a huge mail-order operation. Timothy Eaton, the founder, brought the concept of a store that sold items for a set cash price with no haggling or credit and allowed refunds to Toronto, and it took off, and branched out into mail-order, and eventually into department stores. They sold everything other than cars and houses, and to everyone from people buying scratch and dent furniture to the richest families in Canada.

The suburban mall boom hit Eaton's bottom line, but they had the idea that just about every city in Canada needed an Eaton Centre- a downtown mall, usually with paid parking and anchored solely by an Eaton's. In some places, this worked really well- it is the busiest tourist attraction in Toronto, and sits on top of 2 subway stations and some of the busiest pedestrian intersections and allowed Eaton's to close 2 stores and consolidate in one massive million square foot 10 storey megastore.

In most places, the concept flopped. Eaton's poured huge money into new indoor malls that never filled up, and the downtowns they were meant to save crumbled even faster. They wound up competing with their own suburban mall stores, and the Eaton kids lost interest in running a department store.

What really killed them was the influx of big box stores in the 1990s. Each big box managed to do one category better or cheaper than Eaton's, and in a lot of cases, both. That left Eaton's as a clothing and luxury housewares retailer with too many stores that were too big. The Eaton kids, by this time, had given up any pretense of giving a poo poo, and started cancelling sales and cutting staff, and they went bankrupt. They were bought by Sears Canada, who ran a few of them as eatons stores with a more upscale product mix, but gave that up by 2003.

Eaton's biggest competitor, Robert Simpson & Company, didn't have anything near the size or capability, so they partnered up with Sears and traded as Simpsons-Sears for decades, and split off in the early 1980s. Simpson's sold to the Hudson's Bay Company in the late 1980s.

Sears catered to the lower middle of the market, and did very well selling appliances, mattresses and the like, and installed them too. Having Sears fix your roof and sell you a washing machine and hook up a gas dryer was commonplace. Of course, they got lazy and botched that, and lost money every year since 2006 IIRC.

Professor Shark posted:

I bet you could just sort of walk in and take stuff from Sears at this point. It's not like the employees are going to get any money out of it when the doors shut.

Edit: And yeah, Canadian retailers have treated Levi's like it was really high end denim since forever. I couldn't believe when I found a site online that would sell Levi's for regular American prices, I thought they must have been fake at first

I legitimately feel bad for the employees there. They're working hard to keep a store together after losing their jobs and getting screwed out of their pensions, and the stores are busier than ever with people just wanting to pick through the bones- and in many cases, they have the super optimistic "Reinvention in Progress" signage still up

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Oct 15, 2017

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Liquidation sales are for shitbags. Sears won't be the one liquidating. They will sell their inventory to a company that exclusively liquidates failed companies. They put everything at regular price and drop 10% a week. Almost everything of value will be gone before the prices even hit their normal sale prices.

The new manager we had come in at Circuit City from the liquidation company explained the whole process to us. Our bonuses were stopped immediately and went to just hourly employees.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sunshine89 posted:

In Canada, the dominant department store was Eaton's... sold everything other than cars and houses,

once again proving that americans do it better. genocide, shopping, it doesn't matter we do it better

e: or maybe "did" though our sears isn't completely dead yet

Grand Prize Winner has a new favorite as of 08:05 on Oct 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All speeds from 1 to 25 miles!

I kind of want to drive one. It must be something like the old timey version of a mobility scooter.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Inescapable Duck posted:

I kind of want to drive one. It must be something like the old timey version of a mobility scooter.

I'm gathering that "noiseless" should be taken with a quarry load of salt?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Presuming that it can't be heard after you've already gone deaf from driving other cars of the era.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Quiet as a mouse!

Nice choice of ad, apparently - from the video's description:

quote:

Popular with customers, 3500 units were sold in a few short years. It was no Ford Model T, Sears was losing money on each one of them so the plug was pulled on the Sears Motor Buggy around 1910.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Sunshine89 posted:

Eaton's biggest competitor, Robert Simpson & Company, didn't have anything near the size or capability, so they partnered up with Sears and traded as Simpsons-Sears for decades, and split off in the early 1980s. Simpson's sold to the Hudson's Bay Company in the late 1980s.

The Hudsons Bay Company is still around? Like the original former fur trapping business?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Josef bugman posted:

The Hudsons Bay Company is still around? Like the original former fur trapping business?

Yup, they're a holding company that own a bunch of department stores. They've actually been doing pretty well in recent years, I think.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Josef bugman posted:

There's a whole bunch of old colonial companies left around, the Anglo-French company that used to operate the Suez canal is still around, it ended up being a water utility company.

There are even a few banks left from the sodding Holy Roman Empire left.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

RagnarokZ posted:

There's a whole bunch of old colonial companies left around, the Anglo-French company that used to operate the Suez canal is still around, it ended up being a water utility company.

There are even a few banks left from the sodding Holy Roman Empire left.

Well yeah. Illuminati.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Inescapable Duck posted:

There was a Top Gear (Old, not New) where they did just that. They went looking for what the first car was with what we would consider 'modern' controls and steering, and as you can imagine, driving something like that is completely terrifying.

Here it is: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p03c3

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

Pakled posted:

Yup, they're a holding company that own a bunch of department stores. They've actually been doing pretty well in recent years, I think.

They have- even in bad quarters they lose less than expected. One strategy they have employed too is selling some of their owned properties to commercial landlords in exchange for extremely generous 99 year leases. They have also stopped trying to be an everything store, and in addition to trading off the Canadiana aspect, they have concentrated more on housewares and furniture, which are less fickle than fashion.

The biggest mall owners in Ontario are Cadillac- Fairview and OMERS, which are the investment arms of the public school teachers and public employees pension funds respectively, and they are flush with cash, so they have no problem buying HBC property.

HBC sold off their former trading posts, the Northern Stores Division in the 1980s. Many First Nations were given the name of the local HBC post- for instance, the Neskantaga First Nation was long referred to as the Lansdowne House Indian Band.

Department stores have all gone really high end in Canada now. The 3 biggest malls in Toronto now all have a newly renovated HBC, a new Saks Fifth Avenue and a new Nordstrom.

Indoor malls have also undergone a transformation into indoor oases of capitalism here. The idea is to get shoppers in and staying, spending money and giving them an experience that online can't, according to the trade journals. The outdoor mall concept is confined to one development where no one under the age of 55 frequents; not entirely surprising when it snows here for 1/3 of the year and can get brutally hot in the summer.

Indoor malls have been adding sit down restaurants and steakhouses, put real plates and metal cutlery in the food courts, added valets, concierges and personal shoppers, there's security everywhere and real police on weekends and holidays. The biggest two,Toronto Eaton Centre and Yorkdale, have been engaged in a multi year one-upmanship contest; both are also over 2 million square feet. They're both always under construction and adding the first, biggest, best, most, only whatever.

Sunshine89 has a new favorite as of 06:25 on Oct 21, 2017

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
You're right about department stores; here in Alberta you only see high end stuff at department stores. The only one that doesn't is Simons, but that's because they're a fashion oriented store. They split their stock between haute couture and fast fashion.

That said, the redevelopment of malls into high end shopping destinations hasn't happened here. But that's because malls still perform well, outdoor developments agent practical if it's too cold to go outside when -10°c (14°f for you stupid imperialists) is considered a warm day five months of if the year.

Adeline Weishaupt has a new favorite as of 19:23 on Oct 15, 2017

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The modern day Toronto Eaton Centre is the tits and it seems like most people agree with me because that place is always completely rammed.

And it's so goddamn convenient too.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF

umalt posted:

That said, the redevelopment of malls into high end shopping destinations hasn't happened here. But that's because malls still perform well, outdoor developments aren't practical if it's too cold to go outside when -10°c (14°f for you stupid imperialists) is considered a warm day five months of the year.

This principle also works the other way: malls are doing very well in Asian countries (and Australia), where it gets boiling hot and / or humid in the summer. Never underestimate the power of air conditioning.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ZakAce posted:

This principle also works the other way: malls are doing very well in Asian countries (and Australia), where it gets boiling hot and / or humid in the summer. Never underestimate the power of air conditioning.

Can confirm, I used to become a mallrat in the summer when I lived in a cheap house with poor air conditioning.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

ZakAce posted:

Yeah, almost all of the largest malls in the world are in SE Asia, coastal China, or the Middle East.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is also one of the reasons early cinemas were so popular, they were some of the first places to have air conditioning.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
So if they can just hold out until global warming really takes its toll... Ka-ching!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is also one of the reasons early cinemas were so popular, they were some of the first places to have air conditioning.

Growing up in the Seattle area, air conditioning in houses was pretty uncommon due to the fact that there would be like one week of high 80's in mid-august before cooling back down to the mid to upper 70's. I remember a few times as a child that my mom just took us to a movie for that very reason, and on one occasion the theater's air conditioner being out so we left.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Mr.Radar posted:

Due to a confluence of factors, both Marvel and DC are barely moving any comic books these days and the future's not looking too bright. I recently read a pretty good 30,000 word essay (in the form of a loving Twine game :wtc:) that goes into great detail on why. In addition to other things people have mentioned, one of the big reasons the US comic industry sucks is that one company (Diamond) has had a monopoly on the retail distribution of print comics in the US since the 90s. Unlike most book distributors, they don't accept returns of unsold copies so this makes comic stores super-conservative in what they order (since if they order too much of a book they're stuck with letting it languish on their shelves until it does sell, or trashing it and eating the cost). They also require all comics to be pre-ordered 3 months in advance, even new titles that nobody has seen yet (and which may not even be finished yet) and Marvel and DC primarily make their business decisions on which books to support based on these pre-orders. In one example in the essay, a book went from an ongoing series, to a miniseries, and finally cancelled all before the first issue even came out because its pre-sales didn't meet expectations. This, of course, is a really lovely situation for everyone and does absolutely nothing to help grow anyone's business.

I know they have apps on tablets now that makes reading comics actually fun and enjoyable but gently caress spending like $40 to read something that has less story than a regular loving book.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Outstanding article about affiliate marketing in the mattress industry (seriously)

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

JigglyPuff
Jun 3, 2002

Zeris posted:

Outstanding article about affiliate marketing in the mattress industry (seriously)

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065928/sleepopolis-casper-bloggers-lawsuits-underside-of-the-mattress-wars

Thanks for this, I really enjoyed reading it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Zeris posted:

that's, uh, some marketing there

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Magius1337est posted:

I know they have apps on tablets now that makes reading comics actually fun and enjoyable but gently caress spending like $40 to read something that has less story than a regular loving book.

If you're an American goon, try your local library. Overdrive for Libraries and Freading can have comics if your hometown library buys them in ebook format. Other than Bitch Planet, I haven't bought a comic in about three years.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Zeris posted:

This is insane.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Zeris posted:

Well that was fascinating.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

So where can I buy a cheap mattress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Carrion Luggage posted:

If your ok with someone having died on top of it, estate sales.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Carrion Luggage posted:

New? I got a surprisingly good one at Big Lots for a couple hundred bucks. Cheaper than that and you're looking at second-hand which isn't a bad option because people can't donate used mattresses even if they're in good condition. Checkout reseller aps and yard sales; being willing to pickup and move it yourself is a good way to haggle prices down.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I think that Facebook and Google are the real winners here. Visit an online mattress or bedding site in a browser without adblock and you'll spend the next three months seeing ads for it. You can't make a profit if your sales and marketing spending alone exceeds your total revenue.

BuckT.Trend
Apr 22, 2003

My god, it's full of stars!

Sunshine89 posted:

In many cases, they have the super optimistic "Reinvention in Progress" signage still up

To be fair, bankruptcy and liquidation can be a type of reinvention. Plus the initialism is apt: :rip:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Second-hand bedding has become a dubious idea again because of the resurgence of bedbugs. Bedbugs are easy to get, very hard to get out of an apartment because insecticide resistance.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Have we talked about Blue Apron's rather high cost to attract customers? If they hold this course, they are in trouble I think.
http://www.businessinsider.com/blue-apron-spends-big-for-new-customers-low-return-2017-8

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Have we talked about Blue Apron's rather high cost to attract customers? If they hold this course, they are in trouble I think.
http://www.businessinsider.com/blue-apron-spends-big-for-new-customers-low-return-2017-8
Sounds like the typical cycle for businesses like theirs.

Building the customer base is easy if you can just keep throwing money at it; making a profit is harder. The ideal strategy is to build it up enough to sell to some suckers right before its unsustainability shows itself.

See also: Most tech unicorn stuff.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

lavaca posted:

I think that Facebook and Google are the real winners here. Visit an online mattress or bedding site in a browser without adblock and you'll spend the next three months seeing ads for it. You can't make a profit if your sales and marketing spending alone exceeds your total revenue.

Even longer. I moved to the Bay Area in June and bought a Leesa (I was also looking at Casper, Loom and Leaf, Nest, etc.). I still see advertisements for Purple mattresses everywhere on my iPhone. 2 years ago I bought a Samsonite carry-on, and until the mattress purchase, I'd often get luggage ads loading in Safari.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

lavaca posted:

internet_advertising.txt