Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The N64 was kind of a piece of poo poo that had good games. Nintendo did basically everything wrong possible in the build up towards it and survived on its branding, IPs, and some good contributions by Rare to have the modest success it did.

If anyone else came out with the equivalent of the N64 in 1996 it would be laughed at and dismissed as a joke. But that’s Nintendo for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Lunchabully posted:

well I did just buy Witcher 3, despite it being this thread's least favorite game. so I guess I'll be disappointed by that first

Witcher 3 is good and bad. The combat is mediocre at best and frustrating at worst. The story is the selling point but it's essentially a fantasy novel, interactive dragonlance or something like that.

That said, the choices you make all propel the story generally forward toward a similar conclusion but change the story in a very significant way. Choices have consequences, which is pretty new in videogames.

The sidequests are super uneven. After about halfway I ignored a lot of the optional side quests unless they were on my way.

If you enjoy dumb fantasy novels you'll probably enjoy this dumb game. If uou like the story but the combat is irritating you, set the game to easy.

knehsa
Apr 22, 2013

Lunchabully posted:

well I did just buy Witcher 3, despite it being this thread's least favorite game. so I guess I'll be disappointed by that first

witcher3 is as good as they get, it is truly a quality product with all the work they put into it. plus there's no stupid loot boxes to bother you. enjoy that poo poo. beautiful game too, crank up the graphics to max if you can.

additional edit: i also recommend playing the DLC expansions, because it's how a DLC expansion should be.

knehsa fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 18, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The fantasy elements of the Witcher story can be essentially ignored, it is a game about family that happens to have a fantasy setting, hth.

Also the combat is good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The last of us would've been better narratively if Ellie was allowed to sacrifice herself at the end

Not really an opinion but I'd really enjoy it I'd there was a way to just explore 3d mmo/rpg game worlds. Especially old mmos like eq1 that had like ten expansions. Just let me turn off npc aggro and run around all the areas and check it out

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

The Infinity Engine was trash and everything using it or an engine based on it has also been trash. That includes the original Baldur's Gate, the motherfucking KING of trash, up to and including Pillars of Eternity, which I tried three separate times to get into and couldn't manage to get much further than the first town. So...loving...boring.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

The Infinity Engine was trash and everything using it or an engine based on it has also been trash. That includes the original Baldur's Gate, the motherfucking KING of trash, up to and including Pillars of Eternity, which I tried three separate times to get into and couldn't manage to get much further than the first town. So...loving...boring.

Planescape Torment and BG2 aren't trash, but I bounced off both BG1 and PoE fwiw. Don't really think it's the engine at fault particularly, but it's definitely dated as gently caress now. I found PoE very boring also. Durance was the only party member that I met that wasn't written like completely generic garbo.

Better off giving all the characters in a game to a single person or small group who can write rather than hand each individual one out to people with wildly differing levels of talent and mindset in an attempt to have characters everybody can love. DA:I is also guilty of that for sure.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

PoE isn't boring to everyone. It's okay if you don't like real-time-with-pause tactical combat. It was an acquired taste for me, but i love that game. I've played it a few times. Steam says 160 hours. Yeah, i've got the second one pre-ordered and everything. That stuff is good imo.

The best infinity engine game was torment, which scaled back the use of combat, and is more or less an interactive novel. I haven't got very far in baldur's gate 1 or 2, but not because of the combat. The writing is shiiiiiit and the setting is that kind of generic fantasy, and it's played with a completely straight face. Gross.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Infinity Engine games are good despite the engine, which is indeed trash. Implementing DnD in real time with really obtuse interface and feedback was a terrible idea.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Honestly CRPGs are trash, even the ones people consider good, and I couldn't help but laugh when someone called the original deus ex an 'immersive sim'.

Hi, in this immersive sim, a cybernetically augmented super agent needs to gain more experience to shoot a rifle slightly better than someone with cerebral palsy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Not surprised that hitler would have these opinions tbh

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

fruit on the bottom posted:

Not surprised that hitler would have these opinions tbh

This ain't the thread for popular opinions, my friend.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Panzeh posted:

This ain't the thread for popular opinions, my friend.

Touché

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Oscar Wild posted:

Witcher 3 is good and bad. The combat is mediocre at best and frustrating at worst. The story is the selling point but it's essentially a fantasy novel, interactive dragonlance or something like that.

That said, the choices you make all propel the story generally forward toward a similar conclusion but change the story in a very significant way. Choices have consequences, which is pretty new in videogames.

The sidequests are super uneven. After about halfway I ignored a lot of the optional side quests unless they were on my way.

If you enjoy dumb fantasy novels you'll probably enjoy this dumb game. If uou like the story but the combat is irritating you, set the game to easy.

thanks. my unpopular opinion is that a decent story (especially if you can actually affect its course by your actions), likeable characters, and an interesting world can carry a game through mediocre gameplay, so I'm sure I'll be fine. and I loving love genre trash novels

knehsa posted:

witcher3 is as good as they get, it is truly a quality product with all the work they put into it. plus there's no stupid loot boxes to bother you. enjoy that poo poo. beautiful game too, crank up the graphics to max if you can.

additional edit: i also recommend playing the DLC expansions, because it's how a DLC expansion should be.

it's currently $20 and includes all DLC, so even if you're wrong it'd have to be really goddamn bad for me to feel like I got ripped off

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Honestly CRPGs are trash, even the ones people consider good, and I couldn't help but laugh when someone called the original deus ex an 'immersive sim'.

Hi, in this immersive sim, a cybernetically augmented super agent needs to gain more experience to shoot a rifle slightly better than someone with cerebral palsy.

Lol

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

facebook jihad posted:

The N64 was kind of a piece of poo poo that had good games. Nintendo did basically everything wrong possible in the build up towards it and survived on its branding, IPs, and some good contributions by Rare to have the modest success it did.

If anyone else came out with the equivalent of the N64 in 1996 it would be laughed at and dismissed as a joke. But that’s Nintendo for you.
I agree with the sole caveat that the Analog stick and Mario 64 were legit game-changers, but after that yeah it was downhill with periodic hiccups of quality thanks to Nintendo and Rare being on top of their game.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Lunchabully posted:

thanks. my unpopular opinion is that a decent story (especially if you can actually affect its course by your actions), likeable characters, and an interesting world can carry a game through mediocre gameplay, so I'm sure I'll be fine. and I loving love genre trash novels

it's currently $20 and includes all DLC, so even if you're wrong it'd have to be really goddamn bad for me to feel like I got ripped off

If you feel like the main character thinks he’s a little cooler than he is, he does. He’s a badass to be sure, but he’s also a total dork and embarrassing Dad

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Geralt is exactly as cool as he thinks he is.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

fruit on the bottom posted:

If you feel like the main character thinks he’s a little cooler than he is, he does. He’s a badass to be sure, but he’s also a total dork and embarrassing Dad

Agreed, but it's for the sake of the dramatic action in the game. If a person can't suspend disbelief, then there probably isn't a videogame they will like. Also, almost all the NPCs are peasants.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The open world in Witcher 3 sucked, the best part were the quest.

And now to ruin people's days:

Morrowind is overrated and shares many of its flaws with Oblivon and in some manner even a downgrade compared to Daggerfall.

The best Elder Scrolls game is Skyrim, it mixes the best parts of Oblivion and Morrowind. Except the quests, those suck.

I like Fallout 4 better than New Vegas mostly because it is an actual post nuclear setting (no I don't care how much time has passed and how there shouldn't be any untouched ruins left or whatever)
Speaking of, the setting of New Vegas is boring, if the DLC would be part of the main game (say, Lonesome road would be the finale rather than Hoover Dam) I would've liked it much more.
Also, New Vegas should've been a top down classical RPG, not a Fallout 3 expansion.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Khomaniac posted:

-Skyrim is noticeably worse than Morrowind and Oblivion, with its generic nordic fantasy setting. Going from (relatively) original IP like Silt Striders to generic fantasy dragons was the biggest let down of the series.

At least Skyrim makes sense to have a Nordic setting considering its where the Nords live. Oblivion ruined Cyrodil.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Oscar Wild posted:

Agreed, but it's for the sake of the dramatic action in the game. If a person can't suspend disbelief, then there probably isn't a videogame they will like. Also, almost all the NPCs are peasants.

Oh it’s not a complaint, I love all these things about him. It helps that canonically he’s considered to be the whiny one of the group

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

GreatGreen posted:

I'm still not sure how I feel about the game trading it's Metroid-style roots of slowly giving you more items and tools that unlock more and more of the world for the new philosophy of "we'll give you like 4 tools at the beginning of the game and unlock the whole thing for you at the start" though. I suppose both have their benefits.

To be fair, for me the Zelda series has been moderately open-world, with only a few areas locked off via items. You could wander strait into the 6th dungeon in Zelda1 a minute or two after starting the game, if you had balls big enough and the skills to fight your way across the hardest parts of the overworld. Later games strongly changed this, but to me the exploration was always there, just dangerous, Gothic2 style.

Breath of the Wild's open areas sounded interesting, right up until I heard how they handled items perishing.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i don't know if this is necessarily an unpopular opinion for this thread but i rolled my eyes when the little girl died at the beginning of the last of us and then i never really played it again

edit: i did watch my roommate play a bunch of it though and i thought the ellen page character was really annoying but i also just have a weird visceral hatred of ellen page

romanowski fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 18, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

romanowski posted:

i don't know if this is necessarily an unpopular opinion for this thread but i rolled my eyes when the little girl died at the beginning of the last of us and then i never really played it again

edit: i did watch my roommate play a bunch of it though and i thought the ellen page character was really annoying but i also just have a weird visceral hatred of ellen page

How many dogs have you drowned to feel something, anything at all?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Dogs are just retarded cats, so when one dies in a movie I feel a sense of relief for his ended torment.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Bholder posted:

The best Elder Scrolls game is Skyrim, it mixes the best parts of Oblivion and Morrowind. Except the quests, those suck.
Reminds me:

The insistence to keep rereleasing Skyrim and loads of other games for consoles really wigs me out. Like, seriously, who is buying Skyrim new these days? How crazy pathetic do you have to be to buy another console copy of all things?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

romanowski posted:

gently caress you I love Ellen Page.

Btw that character wasn't played by Ellen Page, just an actress that looks very similar.

Also, yeah, last of us is a garbage-tier game.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

oh yeah I know it's not actually ellen page but didn't they deliberately model the character after her? or am I completely making that up? (I'm probably making that up)

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Officially I don't think they did, but practically-speaking "come the gently caress on"

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
ANY GAME YOU LIKE IS NOT AS GOOD AS GAME I LIKE

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Jeza posted:

I'll take Dark Messiah over Oblivion any day of the week, sure, but in the end Oblivion is a paving stone on the road towards what games in the future will look like, while Dark Messiah is just a fun dead end. Giant game devs will be creating living, breathing worlds with their AAA titles in 2050. Linear games will be like the indie games of today. Like vignettes to novels.

Awesome, and we just have to deal with incredibly lovely open world games from 2006 - 2049 to make it happen

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

There's way more poo poo in games than good, and that's always been true. Open World games are a thing that's technologically way more feasable now, but many of them being bad is not the fault of the genre, just the fault of awful publishers, lazy game developers.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You people talk about the same three or four games way too drat much.

There, another unpopular video game opinion

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I've worked in the video game business since we shipped stuff on cassette tapes.

I think Free2Play is mostly bad.

This is an ad for a game I wrote in 1982 (ad is 1983).

That's $72 for a 32kb game (adjusted for inflation)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

My dumb opinion is that I have fond memories of DK64

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGameVet posted:

I've worked in the video game business since we shipped stuff on cassette tapes.

I think Free2Play is mostly bad.

This is an ad for a game I wrote in 1982 (ad is 1983).

That's $72 for a 32kb game (adjusted for inflation)

Post/av combo winner

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

facebook jihad posted:

There's a reason why the N64 used carts.

As you may know, Nintendo was working with Sony on a CD-ROM drive for the SNES/SuperFamicom.

I have a theory why that didn't happen. It relates to the Baer video game patent case and Philips CD-I.

Nintendo settled with Magnavox on that case, Philips owns Magnavox, Nintendo switched to CD-I to build a drive for the SNES and licensed Link to CD-I.

Once they realized what a shitbox CD-I was, they gave up on the idea and had to wait X years before putting out a drive.

Oh, and Sony decided to do the Playstation.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VideoGameVet posted:

There's a reason why the N64 used carts.

As you may know, Nintendo was working with Sony on a CD-ROM drive for the SNES/SuperFamicom.

I have a theory why that didn't happen. It relates to the Baer video game patent case and Philips CD-I.

Nintendo settled with Magnavox on that case, Philips owns Magnavox, Nintendo switched to CD-I to build a drive for the SNES and licensed Link to CD-I.

Once they realized what a shitbox CD-I was, they gave up on the idea and had to wait X years before putting out a drive.

Oh, and Sony decided to do the Playstation.

Maybe. I don’t know much about the Baer case but most of the info I’ve read about the Sony/Nintendo situation involved Nintendo getting cold feet and deciding to go with Phillips and it blowing up in Nintendo’s metaphorical face.

Plus your argument does not address why they used carts for the N64. Everything I’ve read states carts were used as an anti-piracy measure, to the chagrin of third party developers and basically everyone but Nintendo

facebook jihad fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

facebook jihad posted:

Maybe. I don’t know much about the Baer case but most of the info I’ve read about the Sony/Nintendo situation involved Nintendo getting cold feet and deciding to go with Phillips and it blowing up in Nintendo’s metaphorical face.

Plus your argument does not address why they used carts for the N64. Everything I’ve read states carts were used as an anti-piracy measure, to the chagrin of third party developers and basically everyone but Nintendo

Nintendo had a patent for anti-piracy discs.

I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if Philips had a X-YEARS exclusive with Nintendo on optical drives.

Oh, and the Baer patent is how one Robert Kotick was able to come into Activision for a very good price in 1991.

When we moved from Menlo Park to Los Angeles in 1992, we were down to about a dozen people. The Baer patent almost put the company out of business (we did go into Chap. 11).