Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Leal posted:

Does the increased difficulty in Shadow of War also increase the enemy's HP? I feel like things die WAY too quickly and I don't think I'm even using the amazing of equipment.
Nemesis is like everything are enraged captains on normal, so they will be merciless when attacking in numbers and you only get one shot at living unless they No Chance you. Normal is harder than SoM, but it seems a bit easy if your equipment is up to date. Better fight enemies ten level higher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Me, starting the Plague Knight expansion: man, I appreciate the mechanics on display here but the jumping is really finicky and constantly charging for bursts is making my thumb hurt.

Me, two stages later: I AM THE CONCOCTER OF CATASTROPHE, PARACELCUS OF PERDITION! ALL SHALL BEHOLD MY DECANTATIONS AND DESPAAAAAAAAIR

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oxxidation posted:

Me, starting the Plague Knight expansion: man, I appreciate the mechanics on display here but the jumping is really finicky and constantly charging for bursts is making my thumb hurt.

Me, two stages later: I AM THE CONCOCTER OF CATASTROPHE, PARACELCUS OF PERDITION! ALL SHALL BEHOLD MY DECANTATIONS AND DESPAAAAAAAAIR

Plague Knight is super cute, super mobile, and super fun to play as.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Magius1337est posted:

A modern open world hunting game would be really fun, shame there's nothing better out right now.

theHunter series actually plays really well (on top of being absurdly pretty) but theHunter Primal was left unfinished, Classic is subscription based and theHunter Call of the Wild can be a little buggy, or so I've heard. I'll probably buy the latter come winter sale anyway, it looks too insane not to.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

Plague Knight is super cute, super mobile, and super fun to play as.

My only complaint was that he was also incredibly easy to play as.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The fact that there's no Robert Muldoon's Isla Nublar Big Hunt type game is infuriating for me daily. The Cabela's games have been moderately successful budget FPS titles for a while now, targeting a generally underserved market (the hunter sim) with pretty standard light-gun style gameplay.
What I don't understand is how has this not been expanded into a fantastical world - specifically, Dinosaurs
This is not a generic "what if thing I like existed?" post; Is there something about the Hunter Sim games and their audience that rejects unreality? Certainly even the most advanced hunting game pales in comparison to any of the Sniper Elite titles in terms of actual shooting simulation - managing wind and bullet drop, for example.
But if we take as a given that the Cabela's series is not trafficking in the realism of actually luring and hunting animals, then why would we also accept it is interested in the realism of only hunting real, currently-alive animals?
Maybe I'm overthinking what's going on with these budget titles, but it seems like the hunting sim genre might be a bit underserved in the "big, featherless chicken" category, no?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/322920/theHunter_Primal/
The devs abandoned it, though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

The fact that there's no Robert Muldoon's Isla Nublar Big Hunt type game is infuriating for me daily. The Cabela's games have been moderately successful budget FPS titles for a while now, targeting a generally underserved market (the hunter sim) with pretty standard light-gun style gameplay.
What I don't understand is how has this not been expanded into a fantastical world - specifically, Dinosaurs
This is not a generic "what if thing I like existed?" post; Is there something about the Hunter Sim games and their audience that rejects unreality? Certainly even the most advanced hunting game pales in comparison to any of the Sniper Elite titles in terms of actual shooting simulation - managing wind and bullet drop, for example.
But if we take as a given that the Cabela's series is not trafficking in the realism of actually luring and hunting animals, then why would we also accept it is interested in the realism of only hunting real, currently-alive animals?
Maybe I'm overthinking what's going on with these budget titles, but it seems like the hunting sim genre might be a bit underserved in the "big, featherless chicken" category, no?

no, the point of cabelas is to do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qb4BjzyoDM

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
So at some point this year the actually good Ghostbusters game got pulled from steam, apparently. Anyone have a code I can buy for sub-10 dollars? It's still available online at a couple places but :10bux: for a game from 2009 that doesn't include the actually really drat good multiplayer is obnoxious.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Too Shy Guy posted:

Not this time. I only have the original Metro 2033, no Last Light or either Redux, so I figured that wouldn't be a very useful review for anyone.

...I mean, I know poo poo like Eleusis isn't useful for anyone either but if I'm going to do the Metros I should probably do the Reduxes, yeah?

Yeah that makes sense. Shame though, the Reduxes were 90% off or something just a few days ago.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

New inventory history in beta.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah that makes sense. Shame though, the Reduxes were 90% off or something just a few days ago.

They might go on sale again for Halloween

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I had earned 8 cards from Shadow of War when I played it during release day but when I went to click on my green notification button on Steam to see what 8 things I earned, it errored out and I had no way of seeing what I got since it cleared the notification. I thought to myself "gently caress, how am I supposed to know what I got when there's no way to even see what's new in my inventory?"
My random thought was answered. Glad Valve figured out this kind of thing...... how many years after inventory was added to Steam?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Away all Goats posted:

That's pretty encouraging. How are the load times on a regular HDD? 60+ gigs is a lot for an SSD when I already have a couple games on there.

Not an issue at all on a 7200 RPM HDD.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anybody played post-apocalyptic Risen, which is to say Elex? I liked Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1, so the idea of them doing a Fallout is interesting to me, but Risen 2 kinda sucked.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I caved and bought it last night. I'm only an hour and a half in and in the first town doing the "talking to every npc to get quests before heading out into the wilderness" bit in rpgs but the first town is huge and I think this is probably got to be PB's biggest game yet

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Anybody played post-apocalyptic Risen, which is to say Elex? I liked Gothic 1 and 2, and Risen 1, so the idea of them doing a Fallout is interesting to me, but Risen 2 kinda sucked.

It's great but the first hour is slow. It opens up after that and is classic pb

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is your main guy customizable in Elex or are you stuck with the bald white dude protagonist?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Is your main guy customizable in Elex or are you stuck with the bald white dude protagonist?

Pb might develop customization technology by 2090

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

sector_corrector posted:

I'm loving it, but a lot of reviewers and steam forum posters (don't read the steam forums) are complaining about the combat which to be fair is not 100% explained fully in-game, and they also don't like that there's monsters that will pretty much one shot you and take no damage right outside town. The exploration is awesome.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
It's revolutionary in that it didn't take me 2+ hours of playtime to get a new pair of pants for my character

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Stokes posted:

the combat which to be fair is not 100% explained fully in-game, and they also don't like that there's monsters that will pretty much one shot you and take no damage right outside town.

Sounds like Gothic all right

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TeamCherryGames/status/921008051112501250

New Hollow Knight free DLC coming!

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I just starting to think that D:OS2 might have overtaken Hollow Knight as my GOTY. It's going to be a really tough call (and a pointless one really, they're so different there's room in my heart for both.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

il_cornuto posted:

I just starting to think that D:OS2 might have overtaken Hollow Knight as my GOTY. It's going to be a really tough call (and a pointless one really, they're so different there's room in my heart for both.

I have too many favorite games this year from too many different genres to quantify into any sort of hierarchy, they all provide different experiences that were enjoyable for different reasons and it'd be stupid to rank them against one another.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I agree, and therefore my ranking for 2017 so far is:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Man, Road Redemption is often so true to its inspiration that it, also, at times when you veer slightly off-road will halt you via an invisible wall a loving inch from the finish line and you watch as you go from 1st to 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 9th, 15th, and you slowly wheel your goddamn bike around and drag your pathetic rear end past what really appeared to be the exact spot at which you stopped goddamn it to hell

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cowcaster posted:

I agree, and therefore my ranking for 2017 so far is:

I'm still gonna laugh my rear end off about just how amazing 2017 is for games if the The Mummy Demastered is like the one shining gem of the failed Universal Dark universe.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

il_cornuto posted:

D:OS was good, but DDLC made my jaded heart actually feel something for once.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Mokinokaro posted:

They might go on sale again for Halloween

Hope so. Thought I'd review them myself but realized I only have the original 2033 and not Redux after the deal ended. I've got Last Light Redux, but I wouldn't want to do them out of order.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 19, 2017

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear

19. Dark Fall 2: Lights Out

The original Dark Fall came from a school of adventure gaming that really isn’t around anymore, the old Myst rendered-image hunts of yore. We’ve moved away from those for good reason, because they can be frustratingly obtuse and irritating to navigate, but that’s not to say they can’t be good games. Dark Fall 1 made a decent show of it in the limited realm of a haunted train station, and Dark Fall 2 tries to do the same with a haunted lighthouse. Unfortunately, the places where 2 tries to be more ambitious are the places where the limitations of the genre sting the most.

Dark Fall 2 is inspired by the real-life mystery of the Flannan Isles Lighthouse, where over 115 years ago three lighthouse keepers vanished with nary a trace. It’s a fascinating story and fertile ground for a horror game, and so this one picks up in 1912 with you tasked with investigating a trio of vanished keepers. The lighthouse on Fetch Rock lost its charges back in 1900, inspiring rumors of curses and hauntings which your employer wishes to dispel. Setting off from town in the dead of night, your search of Fetch Rock will lead to a time-hopping journey from the far future all the way back to the Stone Age.

That’s right, I said time-hopping. It’s not a spoiler, they tell you right there on the store page, but beneath the lighthouse you’ll find a gateway that allows you to jump to three alternate time periods, including modern times. I’m sure that somewhere there’s been a quality horror tale that incorporated time travel but this one is not remotely close. The start of your journey in a small, foggy port town thick with gloom sets an excellent stage for horror, and the abandoned lighthouse follows through with the promise of creepy airs. Then you follow a ghostly voice to the portal and appear in bright, sunny 2004 and explore a little tourist trap museum. Even if you were convinced by the stiff pre-rendered graphics or the awkward shadow spooks in 1912, this sudden tonal shift is sure to obliterate any pretense of horror left in the game.

This is all assuming you even get that far, of course. Just like its predecessor, Dark Fall 2 has you navigating networks of pre-rendered scenes with mouse-driven tank controls. Clicking on the left or right sides of the screen turn you, and clicking the middle moves you forward if there’s room to move. This worked tolerably well in 1 because the small rooms of the station kept navigation from getting confusing. Not so here in the winding streets and spiral staircases of the ambitious sequel, where a path from dock to door can contain 20 to 30 scenes depending on how many turns you take. Most of these scenes have nothing of note in them, making it virtually impossible to find the items and interactables you need to proceed in the clogged mazes of images.

I’m not kidding, I had to consult a walkthrough to find the very first thing to do in the game. There’s a door in the middle of the port town you have to enter that requires you to turn perpendicular to the street on one particular screen out of a dozen. After that I had to consult the walkthrough again to figure out what I had to do in my own room, which was flip a particular book to the last page. Trying to suss these tasks out myself had me clicking on endless screens of plain walls, pointless shelves, and functionless items. You could honestly remove 90% of the scenes in this game and not lose any gameplay, just additional transitions between the few scenes that DO matter.

I gave Dark Fall 1 a passing grade because despite not being my cup of tea, it had enough promise to perhaps satisfy someone. The puzzles made sense if you could follow them, the movement was clunky but functional, and the atmosphere was surprisingly creepy. Each one of those three key elements is weaker in Dark Fall 2, so much so that any one of them would have sunk this title. It’s agonizing to simply move around, if you find something to do it won’t make sense, and that effective atmosphere evaporates the moment the plot picks up. I would liked to have seen an evolution of the series here, taking cues from modern design to enhance the retro features, but the exact opposite happened and the result is hardly worth the trouble.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

sector_corrector posted:

It's gothic with a jetpack. And laser guns...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_z2AUWHSx8

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
CIV III Complete is free at Humble for 48 hours

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Jesus how much content can Hollow Knight pack in for a $15 game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

nachos posted:

Jesus how much content can Hollow Knight pack in for a $15 game

they're not even done, there's gonna be a third free DLC and a Hornet expansion pack

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/zachtronics/status/921060725635784704

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Get a Steam Link for a dollar and also a game!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

icey sum anime titties

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

context?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

opus magnum comes out today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU