Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
All the best gunpowder is found under random trucks.

Considerate zombies piling up corpses is a pleasant change too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
A big question here is why is the nurse back? Last game it implied that she was working for Morbius, but now that doesn't make much sense.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

grandalt posted:

A big question here is why is the nurse back? Last game it implied that she was working for Morbius, but now that doesn't make much sense.

Maybe she's tied to Sebastian being back inside STEM?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Maybe she's tied to Sebastian being back inside STEM?

Considering that it seems like his "safe place" is made out of his memories, possibly the nurse is just another memory of his, too, and she isn't actually involved.

So far this feels a bit less off the wall, both in the good way and the bad way. A bit less charmingly insane, but also a bit more coherent, like at the end we're going to have considerably less "wait what was the logic behind that again?"-questions.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The nurse represents humanity's deep-seated desire to huff goo and get swole.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Wow, it is incredibly easy to get distracted in this game. There's SO MUCH TO EXPLORE. And get spooked by.

5: Train-ing Day/Polsy

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
TEW2 seems to have a bit more of a sense of humour, too, both in Sebastian's dialogue and sequences like the handle breaking off. Also so far the tensest thing about this game is whether you're gonna miss anything.

Because I'm like "oh God did he spot that herb HE WALKED PAST THAT GREEN GEL okay he went back for the gel BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT PIPE oh my God this is keeping me on the edge of my seat" because I'm an absolute autist about collecting everything in these games, myself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Same. Heck, the openness and collecting focus combined with the combat and survival elements makes me wonder if Bethesda could be arsed to borrow from this game for their next Fallout. This game even has dialogue options and quests!

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
At 12:55 in part 5 you missed the open door to another car of the train. In fact, you didn't even go down the "hallway" between the two trains.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I'll tell you all two things right now. One: I do go back to the train. Two: I'm gonna miss a lot of poo poo and you're gonna have to deal with it :v:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

I'll tell you all two things right now. One: I do go back to the train. Two: I'm gonna miss a lot of poo poo and you're gonna have to deal with it :v:

Do you at least get the shotgun?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

dscruffy1 posted:

But if you miss an herb it's going to ruin my immersion.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

SgtSteel91 posted:

Do you at least get the shotgun?

Yes. I haven't finished chapter 3 yet because I'm in a time crunch and I can pretty much only record on weekends, but there's only one spot in Union I haven't gotten to and I'm not planning on going back to it because I couldn't figure it out. I explore this area fairly thoroughly and I haven't tracked down the girl's voice yet.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

So scruffy spent some time hanging out down the street from where I had a fun glitch happen to me! You can see the bus and Tredwell Trucking from where I am in this video, which may or may not be lightly edited: Sebastian Castellanos: Monster Surfer

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Some of the enemies in this game are kinda dangerous I guess.

6: The Most Dangerous Game/Polsy

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The real The Evil Within 2 starts here.

Sweet crossbow shot at the end there. Should've dubbed in an congratulatory air horn when her head exploded.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
1. Foliage becomes see through when you aim your gun from inside it?? :eyepop:

2. This is the content I came here for. This is what I wanted. Scruffy In A Dangerous Spacetime.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do enemies respawn, I wonder? It doesn't look like they do, at least, not rapidly. And it'd make sense if they don't, considering the relatively scarce supplies. On the other hand, Union's gonna end up pretty empty if enemies never respawn.

Also how merciless is the game with saves? Do you lose ALL progress since you last manually saved or is there any sort of autosave function?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Judging by CJacob's stream there is an autosave but it's not super generous.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this is why Resident Evil 4 started out with slow zombies. It's amazing how fast zombies can make the game difficult.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Time to stretch our legs and expand our range with another safe room.

And lasers.

7: Saferoom Expansions/Polsy

PurpleXVI posted:

Do enemies respawn, I wonder? It doesn't look like they do, at least, not rapidly. And it'd make sense if they don't, considering the relatively scarce supplies. On the other hand, Union's gonna end up pretty empty if enemies never respawn.

Also how merciless is the game with saves? Do you lose ALL progress since you last manually saved or is there any sort of autosave function?

Enemies haven't respawned but I haven't had time to play since last weekend, so I don't know if they'll crop up more later. Someday soon I'll sit down and finish chapter 3. Maybe even this weekend. If I find time. :v:

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

dscruffy1 posted:

Time to stretch our legs and expand our range with another safe room.

And lasers.

7: Saferoom Expansions/Polsy

You've missed a document in the underground room where you found the first explosive bolt. You can see it briefly around 6:05 in the video.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think you can headstomp enemies crawling on the ground, like the one in the basement. Back in a previous video where an enemy surprisingly crawled out from under the car next to the rocking car it looked like the "stomp" prompt came up.

It seems like a pretty different game so far, but one of the cool details about the first game was that it was always establishing the rules of the game and then breaking them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the next chapter throws everything you think you know about this world out the window, always keeping you on your toes. It has already done that with suddenly going from completely linear to sandboxy.

Another big difference is that while in the first game everything about the world was a big mystery, in this game it's already established that you're inside a collective mind matrix world where your daughter's brain is the processor.

MaNiAk
Jan 1, 2005

Hi my name is Doxylamine Succinate, I will be serving you tonight

PurpleXVI posted:

They absolutely don't, thankfully. Some of the later enemies are... particularly spooky.

Also either the sneak icon isn't there in nightmare difficulty or I've never noticed it.

Either way, this game is amazing compared to the first one, it actually kept me coming back to it so I could finish it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Those stealth kills are still amazing, as was that lock break. Need a key? Need to shoot it open? Need a special item to break it? NOPE. JUST A HUGE loving KNIFE.

Also, Scruffy, don't worry about not being as entertaining as the first time around, I'm still hype for every update of this LP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

kjetting posted:

Another big difference is that while in the first game everything about the world was a big mystery, in this game it's already established that you're inside a collective mind matrix world where your daughter's brain is the processor.

I think this is one of the reasons it feels so much tighter and more sensible. They still have a lot of freedom to do weird poo poo, but you know why the weird poo poo is happening so you don't waste your time trying to make guesses as to the true nature of reality before some big reveal.

The other is that it seems a lot less like they're trying to find their voice and figure out exactly what the hell they're doing with the concept. The developers went into this game knowing exactly what they were making.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Surprised you didn't try to break the wooden box with a Mobius symbol on it.

Was the sniper rifle barrel supposed to be in the auto shop or somewhere else?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That box is seriously taunting you so bad, it's like "look at me I'm a bright-rear end box that looks different from all the others and is well-lit right in your face! Break me! :)"

But you can't.

You can't break that box.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Motherfucker

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guys, I've figured it out!

In the first game, Sebastian was drunk. This is why he barely reacted to anything and just kinda shrugged and went along with whatever crazy poo poo was going on.

In this game, he's hungover.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Why did you to look at the resonance while was playing back scruffy why?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

The lady in the garage reminds me of one of those screamer videos from like a decade ago

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That entire ball of chains. Why? Just why?

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's a new enemy! Which may or may not be fully explained later! I have no idea!

8: Spooky Ghost Lady/Polsy

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Well, Spooklady was certainly a goddamn surprise. I just expected, like, poltergeists. Not THIS poo poo.

Sebastian's lockpicking remains entertaining because, if you notice, his knife doesn't BREAK the chains. It just makes them clip through the lock and fall to the ground.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I guess Sebastian really is the master of unlocking.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I am one hundred percent on board for spooky ghost ladies and so far it's the best of the game to me. I think this game might be quite fun to play, but the exploratory part is the greatest to watch (as it in all open-worldiness), and the more set piecey gently caress with your brain bits are what I loved teh most out of the first game and are so far what I love out of this one. Besides Scruffy's Nervous Laughter. I miss the matches though. I liked the idea of never being quite sure if the corpse on the ground was a decoration, potential enemy, or both, or knowing if the guy you knocked out was dead or faking. But on the other hand we've got nice stomping mechanic so there's that.

But I'm sticking this on my steam wishlist.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so the Mu Society we found the invites for in that hotel with the red curtains, that's where Mobius got the source minds for Union? I suppose this is just an occupational hazard of getting a bunch of cultists together and telling them they're in heaven.

Also I'm guessing you can't, like, leave an ammo cache in safe rooms so you can pick up all your overflow ammo there, Bloodborne-style.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My only response to the ghost lady is :argh: or perhaps :arghfist::saddowns:. It will only grow more :argh:-y as the game goes on.

Glazius posted:

...so the Mu Society we found the invites for in that hotel with the red curtains, that's where Mobius got the source minds for Union? I suppose this is just an occupational hazard of getting a bunch of cultists together and telling them they're in heaven.

Also I'm guessing you can't, like, leave an ammo cache in safe rooms so you can pick up all your overflow ammo there, Bloodborne-style.

Yes, you will learn more about the Mu Society and how hosed up it really is as we go. And no, you can't leave ammo scattered around at will, but any ammo piles out in the game world or in the locker safes will stay permanently with their remaining contents if you can't pick up all of it in one scoop.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
We explore some of the Marrow, whatever the hell it is, and find a new toy.

9: Master of Stealth/Polsy

• Locked thread