Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Orville keeps up a fine tradition of ‘covering alien bits with a hat’.

Also, Orville: The Gap Generation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Do their pins control their volume/contrast?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Arglebargle III posted:

Just to be clear warp drive isn't nonsense, there have been real papers published about it. Now it requires matter with a negative mass and would kill everyone on board with Cerenkov radiation if you ever tried to stop but it's a little more fleshed out than "there are spores everywhere, and somehow we fold space"

To be fair, Miguel Alcubierre came up with it well after Star Trek and was actually inspired by it. The fact that Star Trek's warp drive is actually theoretically possible and would work almost just like how it does in the show was kind of an accident.

I think it would be cool if in Star Trek, someone tries to go into warp on a planetary surface and accidentally take a chunk of the ground that got caught in the warp bubble with them like in Macross.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

That planet sure has embraced denim.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

That planet sure has embraced denim.

They’re going to planet Canada.

Unrelated but The Last Ship owns. It’s the standard TNG formula just on a naval ship and they’ve had as many as 4 captains onboard at one time.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

The_Doctor posted:

Do you think Halston Sage had to have the Alara prosthetics on under that bandage and hat? For authenticity?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Just to be clear warp drive isn't nonsense, there have been real papers published about it. Now it requires matter with a negative mass and would kill everyone on board with Cerenkov radiation if you ever tried to stop but it's a little more fleshed out than "there are spores everywhere, and somehow we fold space"

The whole idea of FTL travel is a clusterfuck that makes zero sense in physics. It would produce all kinds of wacky time travel paradoxes and causality violations.

If it's truly something that is possible in nature, it's gonna break the universe in some pretty hilarious ways. It's definitely not something you casually do while wearing pyjamas and drinking earl grey tea on a spaceship.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

They're elevator call buttons. Work everywhere.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Baronjutter posted:

Either that or elevators have attained highly symbolic status.

Carbon dioxide posted:

They're elevator call buttons. Work everywhere.

drat IT COME ON

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The expression on Alara's face is really weird

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
They're on the Fart Planet

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I think that's really nitpicking now. The whole idea of FTL is so loving bonkers from a physics perspective, almost as bonkers as turning into lizards from the perspective of biology. It's all just gibberish
That's what I said ("incomprehensible garbage"). The problem is when it tries being more than that, which, well

Kurieg posted:

Because physics is biology man

*takes rip off of his bong full of spores*
´STD is.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Well Biology IS Physics! Especially at the quantum level!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The_Doctor posted:

What's that on Alara's nose?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gynovore posted:

a bandage to hide her nose ridges?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Biore strip

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

A bandage. I'm pretty sure Kira did it too, but I can't place where

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

I'll spoiler block this, but evidently the planet they are on dictates that every crime's guilty/innocent thing is voted in by the entire population. Presumably, those are their voting apparatus.

Also, why are we not taking about Alara's hat.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

The_Doctor posted:

Dang i never noticed how tall Kelley is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Adrianne Palicki is almost six feet tall.

Orville is doing very well in timeshifted viewing ratings

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Past Tense, Part 2. She wears the bandage when she beams back in time to look for Sisko

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

A 2+ share on L+7 is pretty good, all things considered.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

cheetah7071 posted:

Past Tense, Part 2. She wears the bandage when she beams back in time to look for Sisko

"I fell and broke my nose"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Adrianne Palicki is almost six feet tall.

Dear God :love:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

In heels she could be as tall or taller than me! :swoon:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

You should check out Agents of SHIELD.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheScott2K posted:

Why don't you try the Google thing, or just searching it on Hulu like anyone trying to stream a currently-running TV show would do?

There's this thing people used to do back in the 90s called "having a conversation." It's retro hip now.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Bloop posted:

One time, Nana Visitor fell and sprained an ankle and had to go to the hospital. She still had her nose ridges on, so the doctors thought it was some weird condition.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gynovore posted:

One time, Nana Visitor fell and sprained an ankle and had to go to the hospital. She still had her nose ridges on, so the doctors thought it was some weird condition.

That is a cool story.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Baronjutter posted:

I would bet money its some kind of hyper social media planet and everything is like/dislike at all times.

(and don't forget to subscribe and comment, and use code orvilleloot to get 10% off loot crate)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The whole idea of FTL travel is a clusterfuck that makes zero sense in physics. It would produce all kinds of wacky time travel paradoxes and causality violations.

If it's truly something that is possible in nature, it's gonna break the universe in some pretty hilarious ways. It's definitely not something you casually do while wearing pyjamas and drinking earl grey tea on a spaceship.

Warp drive isn't really FTL, it's a janky workaround that contracts/ expands space instead so the ship is only moving faster than light from distant reference frames.

The trick is that the space between the destination and the origin gets a lot shorter. And the trick is that the ship has negative mass and kills you.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Arglebargle III posted:

Warp drive isn't really FTL, it's a janky workaround that contracts/ expands space instead so the ship is only moving faster than light from distant reference frames.

The trick is that the space between the destination and the origin gets a lot shorter. And the trick is that the ship has negative mass and kills you.

Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy!

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

How would you compare the relative time it takes for said ship to get there versus regular old light?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

How would you compare the relative time it takes for said ship to get there versus regular old light?

Things can theoretically arrive before light does, they just can't move as fast (or faster) if they have mass. They can take a shortcut, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The Bloop posted:

Things can theoretically arrive before light does, they just can't move as fast (or faster) if they have mass. They can take a shortcut, though.

Still causes... causality issues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Still causes... causality issues.

Some bullshit about origin of information paradoxes. I never got it, though.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Snak posted:

Some bullshit about origin of information paradoxes. I never got it, though.

It's real hard for us laymen, I don't really get it either because it's counterintuitive and beyond normal human experience. I can barely follow the logic chain if I read slowly and think a lot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

It's real hard for us laymen, I don't really get it either because it's counterintuitive and beyond normal human experience. I can barely follow the logic chain if I read slowly and think a lot.

I'm just gonna assume it's bullshit, because FLT travel is dope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Snak posted:

I'm just gonna assume it's bullshit, because FLT travel is dope.

Did you do a little too much LDS at Berkeley? :xd: