Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Perestroika posted:

I'll have you know that Nobosuke Tagomi is most certainly not a Nazi. :colbert:

Tagomi's also a pretty sympathetic guy but John Smith is like the only character on the show who doesn't act like an idiot most of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

U-DO Burger posted:

The Man in the High Castle is a recent, ongoing show (based on an older book but w/e) but it already aged poorly because the best, most sympathetic character on the show by far is a literal Nazi

Rudolf Höss, the guy who ran Auschwitz, was by all accounts a sympathetic guy and a kind family man.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I remember syndication having seasons. Like in the Fall you got the Happy Day's reruns and then some Spring it was MASH, but don't worry - in Fall Fonzi would be back at 4:30 every weekday afternoon.

What's Happening was on all year long. Hey hey hey.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

U-DO Burger posted:

Tagomi's also a pretty sympathetic guy but John Smith is like the only character on the show who doesn't act like an idiot most of the time
He also has the benefit of mostly being wrapped up in the political affairs plot, rather than the alternate realities plot which is guaranteed to dissolve into insanity.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Alhazred posted:

Rudolf Höss, the guy who ran Auschwitz, was by all accounts a sympathetic guy and a kind family man.

Not having watched The Man in the High Castle does the show do a good job juxtaposing this with the fact he was a Nazi responsible for the suffering and deaths of millions and is the point that Nazis are also extremely ordinary and “sympathetic” people?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the Nazis are definitely not sympathetic in the book

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
The full run of Futurama is up on Hulu now if you're feeling nostalgic for the early episodes.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

food court bailiff posted:

He absolutely gave a poo poo about his family, he just was too prideful to want them to feel beholden to the people he felt stabbed him in the back. The whole show is about how he has so little self pride in the beginning that high schoolers are walking all over him, and by the end he sees himself as some untouchable kingpin even though in reality his whole life is in shambles. One of the last episodes is titled Ozymandias. It's pretty much the opposite of subtle.

yea but even at the end of it you still have to feel a bit sorry for Walter because of the cards he was dealt; he did walk away from a fortune and father a crippled child. Certainly he's a piece of poo poo, but those circumstances are profoundly tragic for a man to have to deal with.

Tiggum posted:

You go look at two flats and can't see a difference, but one's much cheaper than the other and the landlord won't give a straight answer about why. Which do you rent?

always rent for market price! never go for suspiciously cheap apartments! i learned that lesson in various fictional horror works, AND irl

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I wish there was a listing site for murder houses or haunted houses that are being sold for dirt cheap because I would buy either in a heart beat. What's a ghost gonna do? Rattle plates until it wakes me up from my drunken stupor? Ha, good luck. Or a murder house. How many separate murders can take place in one house? I'm sure statistically speaking I'd be safer from murder in a murder house than a non-muder house.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wish there was a listing site for murder houses or haunted houses that are being sold for dirt cheap because I would buy either in a heart beat. What's a ghost gonna do? Rattle plates until it wakes me up from my drunken stupor? Ha, good luck. Or a murder house. How many separate murders can take place in one house? I'm sure statistically speaking I'd be safer from murder in a murder house than a non-muder house.

You know the saying "lightning never strikes twice"? That’s a lie. It hits the same spot. Over and over again.

Murder is the same way. 32 people have died in my house since I moved in.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just watched a cheesy rear end horror movie on Amazon Prime called Bad Ben about a middle aged balding white guy who bought a house for suspiciously cheap to flip for good money. He ends up being a Great Value Frank Reynolds and just argues with the ghost about how he's staying and you can get the hell out. Not scary at all but not a bad way to kill and hour and a half. I've watched shittier movies.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Solice Kirsk posted:

I think the ghost would just beat the poo poo out of you by possessing various objects in the house since no one would believe your table hurled itself across the room at you.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
My mom told me a story about a murder house for cheap in a very nice neighborhood. They decided not to buy it because the guy who did the murdering killed his parents and was sent to the looney bin. The fear was he'd go back home if he ever got out.

It sounds like the kind of thing you say to gently caress around with your kid, but the house was in the same neighborhood as my grandparents so it's conceivable she would have heard the juicy gossip.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Avenging_Mikon posted:

32 people have died in my house since I moved in.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

I just watched a cheesy rear end horror movie on Amazon Prime called Bad Ben about a middle aged balding white guy who bought a house for suspiciously cheap to flip for good money. He ends up being a Great Value Frank Reynolds and just argues with the ghost about how he's staying and you can get the hell out. Not scary at all but not a bad way to kill and hour and a half. I've watched shittier movies.

Holy poo poo, Amazon has been trying to get me to watch that for a while and I always resisted it because it just looked like flaming rear end but that description kind of has me sold. Store-brand Frank Reynolds arguing with a ghost sounds hilarious.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Arguing with ghosts is actually a thing in some folklore. The idea being that just interacting with a ghost briefly can curse you and\or drive you insane but if you keep cool and just tell the ghost to eat poo poo you stay sane.

Though the more old fashioned corporeal type of ghost, the sort that was prevalent in northern Europe until spiritism became fashionable, might still beat you to death and drag you down into the cold abyssal darkness of the grave.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:00 on Oct 19, 2017

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Tumble posted:

yea but even at the end of it you still have to feel a bit sorry for Walter because of the cards he was dealt; he did walk away from a fortune and father a crippled child. Certainly he's a piece of poo poo, but those circumstances are profoundly tragic for a man to have to deal with.
Eh, it was his decision to walk away and he probably managed to gently caress up everything else he had going for him on the way down to teaching high school chemistry.

Also he killed Mike. gently caress that guy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy poo poo, Amazon has been trying to get me to watch that for a while and I always resisted it because it just looked like flaming rear end but that description kind of has me sold. Store-brand Frank Reynolds arguing with a ghost sounds hilarious.

Like don't go expecting it to be great but if you got some videogames to play or something go for it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Asinine Tails posted:

Both.

They said:
"2 reasons :
a) We are not Muslims, and as such, it is disrespectful and irresponsible for us to use the word jihad in our band's name.
B) Interesting historical figure as he was, Andrew Jackson was an odious person and our fascination with him has grown stale."
Do they consider themselves punk rock in any way? Because they're a bunch of wimps if they do. One of the main points about punk was to shock and provoke. Band names like Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, and Bad Religion did that. Song names like "Blitzkrieg Bop" and (insert any song title by Dead Kennedys here) did that. But they did this and Vietcong changed their name due to outrage. And honestly, "Robert McNamara" would be a more provocative name than Vietcong. I'd say that old spirit is dead, but at least there's a band out there called Perfect Pussy.

Also, they could have renamed themselves to anything, so why did they go the route of ESPN, KFC, and the SAT?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Hey, here's an idea: Stop murdering so many people.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

Do they consider themselves punk rock in any way? Because they're a bunch of wimps if they do. One of the main points about punk was to shock and provoke. Band names like Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, and Bad Religion did that. Song names like "Blitzkrieg Bop" and (insert any song title by Dead Kennedys here) did that. But they did this and Vietcong changed their name due to outrage. And honestly, "Robert McNamara" would be a more provocative name than Vietcong. I'd say that old spirit is dead, but at least there's a band out there called Perfect Pussy.

Also, they could have renamed themselves to anything, so why did they go the route of ESPN, KFC, and the SAT?

Oh hey dad, how long have you been posting here?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm reminded of Beetlejuice where the ghosts are actually kind of white bread squares and their haunted house gets bought by insufferable goths and they need to help to learn how to be scary to try and drive them off, and eventually pull in a crazy guy to do it for them, before finally learning to coexist with their living housemates, and occasionally spice things up with choreographed-by-possession dance numbers.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

get that OUT of my face posted:

Do they consider themselves punk rock in any way? Because they're a bunch of wimps if they do. One of the main points about punk was to shock and provoke. Band names like Dead Kennedys, Sex Pistols, and Bad Religion did that.
The Sex Pistols were a marketing gimmick, Bad Religion were edgy fifteen-year-olds, and the Dead Kennedys was more about evoking the image of their respective assassinations as bookends to a time where progress seemed possible, before everything went right back to poo poo.

quote:

(insert any song title by Dead Kennedys here)
Moon over Marin.

Most of the bands whose entire schtick was shock and provocation sucked balls. Les than the cesspool of hair gel and wallet chains that was the OC scene, but there were balls and there was suction and the two were in the same place at the same time.

While we're on the subject, though...

Holy poo poo, did this not age well at all.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Ariong posted:

Oh hey dad, how long have you been posting here?

Whoa you've got a cool dad

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rough Lobster posted:

Whoa you've got a cool dad

Dad Rock is now harder than kid rock.

I'm marginally bummed they changed their name because it was both provocative and also made no sense. I seriously doubt anyone was actually giving them grief over it and it sounds like they just decided they didn't need to be minor edgelords anymore and went for something simpler.

Now if they switch from songs about their murdered, tongueless girlfriend and get into rom-com soundtracks, well that would be something different.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The idea of music "cred" remains extremely dumb

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

purple death ray posted:

The idea of music "cred" remains extremely dumb

The way music cred works is like this:

Not making any money = cred
Making some money = you're starting to sell out
Making a lot of money = you've lost your cred
Make all the money = back to having cred

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Washing your cumsock isn't murder.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Len posted:

This movie is seriously incredible. He also made two sequels about the same house/dude that are equally amazing.

Edit: he also does live question answer session is on Facebook. Sometimes he wears a Fedora and it's amazing as well.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

joshtothemaxx posted:

This movie is seriously incredible. He also made two sequels about the same house/dude that are equally amazing.

So it's less "tough guy sticks it to a ghost" and more "Tough guy and ghost become a bitchy old married couple" in the long run

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

joshtothemaxx posted:

Edit: he also does live question answer session is on Facebook. Sometimes he wears a Fedora and it's amazing as well.

Now see I didn't get much out of the second movie because the couple just wasn't as entertaining as Not Frank but Badder Ben was fun as hell too. I wasn't expecting to enjoy them when I watched the first but nope it was solid as hell.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

insta posted:

Washing your cumsock isn't murder.

If your sperm count is 32, you may want to speak to a doctor, dude.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm reminded of the Simpsons halloween episode where they buy a haunted house which tries to kill them/drive them insane, but Marge ends up talking it down to the point where the house decides to destroy itself rather than live with the Simpsons.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

If your sperm count is 32, you may want to speak to a doctor, dude.

Only the ones that would’ve made it to the egg count as a person. Everyone knows that. And yet when you try to argue that life begins at being the most capable sperm in any particular load, jeez do people get worked up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Only the ones that would’ve made it to the egg count as a person. Everyone knows that. And yet when you try to argue that life begins at being the most capable sperm in any particular load, jeez do people get worked up.

I once had someone tell me that using a condom was killing a baby because it was preventing the sperm from reaching the egg and she couldn't explain why having a period wasn't killing a baby since it was preventing an egg from getting fertilized

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Didn't some Deep South state pass an anti-abortion law that basically made it illegal for a woman not to be pregnant?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Len posted:

I once had someone tell me that using a condom was killing a baby because it was preventing the sperm from reaching the egg and she couldn't explain why having a period wasn't killing a baby since it was preventing an egg from getting fertilized

Eggs go bad just like eggs in the fridge! It isn’t the hen’s fault.

Seriously though. Even the fundamentalists that I’ve had these conversations with were mostly prepared to offer, at the very least, that they do (and I should) draw a distinction between “the biological will of god” and “profane and deliberate undermining of divine edict by artificial means.”

e: If it wasn’t clear, I mean I’ve talked with a fair number of anti-contraception folks and I can’t recall that one stumping them. They had an internally consistent answer prepared for that line of questioning if nothing else.

burial has a new favorite as of 07:23 on Oct 20, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Len posted:

The classic argument is that using a condom is killing a baby via your action, whereas having a period is allowing a baby to die through inaction.
This fits well with a moral system in which sins of inaction are not as serious as sins of action, which also allows them to explain how it isn't morally abhorrent for their all-powerful god not to save the lives of people who are in danger.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

The_White_Crane posted:

The classic argument is that using a condom is killing a baby via your action, whereas having a period is allowing a baby to die through inaction.
This fits well with a moral system in which sins of inaction are not as serious as sins of action, which also allows them to explain how it isn't morally abhorrent for their all-powerful god not to save the lives of people who are in danger.

I wonder how they interpret Leviticus 19:16, because in Judaism they've taken it to mean that you shouldn't stand by while you might save someone else from harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Someone's mentioned the pilot episode of "The Lone Gunmen," the ill-fated X-Files spinoff where the government conspires to crash an airliner into the World Trade Center to boost military arms sales and justify war, right?