Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The BOner Boyz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hexenritter posted:

Yeah there's a standing policy of "get a picture of you with some piece of hardware and it becomes a buyable asset" since the beginning, though the specifics are beyond me at the moment.

Not to self, visit point magu, stand in front of everything at the missile park.

http://www.air-and-space.com/Pt%20Mugu%20Missile%20Park.htm

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

Not to self, visit point magu, stand in front of everything at the missile park.

http://www.air-and-space.com/Pt%20Mugu%20Missile%20Park.htm

Yes, yeeeeesssssssss

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's this too.

http://www.air-and-space.com/Pt_Mugu_Command_History_Storage_Facility.htm

I wonder what's at Port Hueneme's Seabee museum...

Edit: If anyone wants us to fly Zero's and B-25's the So Cal Commemorative Air Force has one of each.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 19, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Lemme get back to you on heavy bombers. The maintenance level is so extraordinarily ridiculous that we'd have to find a good way to deal with it. It might be beyond our scope. We'll see.

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
Smorgasboard. Because Viggens.

Also, any chance I can swap from my shiny new Gripen into an F117 instead? I'd prefer something ground attack...

No worries if the Nighthawk drivers all want to stay put.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Oh yeah, forgot to vote. Smörgåsbord please

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
Did I die at some point and not notice? I don't seem to be flying anything recently. I am very concerned that this will affect my yearly performance review and compensation package.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Hexenritter posted:

The BOner Boyz?

All LoSa has ever wanted to be was a BoneBoy.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

pthighs posted:

Did I die at some point and not notice? I don't seem to be flying anything recently. I am very concerned that this will affect my yearly performance review and compensation package.

Um. I think we sold your plane to the circus and forgot to slot you into a new ride. You, an Ace, will be leading the 3d print squadron.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Groggy nard posted:

He's done more damage to any potential Tomcat acquisition than not getting their good missile.

I've been agitating for those things for months and now even I am questioning pro-Tomcat stances.

Given the printaplane rules, here's some random oddities that might be interesting. Criteria: commissioned 1980-1989 (to combat reliability concerns), at least one but no more than five unique weapons (to keep cost down), no helicopters (because I'd be here all day, holy poo poo there are so many). From that I picked a couple at my personal capricious preference that seemed notable for one reason or another.
  • Spanish AV-8S Harrier [1988]: 500lb bombs, cluster bombs, dumbfire rockets, AIM-9P WVR missiles. There's a shitload of aircraft with this basic weapons loadout but Harriers have some decent avionics and besides, nobody will even notice the increased rate of falling out of the sky when you combine "VTOL" with "reverse-engineered"! Also Harriers still look pretty cool.
  • British Canberra PR.9 [1983]: It's got OECM and nothing else, but OECM is definitely nice to have, and we haven't (yet) pissed off the Brits.
  • German F-104G Starfighter [1984]: Someone around here (xthetenth?) keeps asking about Starfighters. This one has 500lb bombs, 1000lb bombs, and AIM-9P4s. To get the blueprints for one we'd probably just need to drive around rural Germany with metal detectors for a few hours.
  • Danish F-35XD Draken [1983]: No, not that F-35. 500lb bombs, 1000lb bombs, 57mm rockets, and AIM-9Ns. Drakens are sweet as hell and also they were Swedish exports. What's not to love?
  • Nigerian Jaguar S[1985]: 1000lb bombs, cluster bombs, 68mm rockets. Another cheap ground attack aircraft that probably wouldn't be too hard to get ahold of.
  • Russian MiG-25PD Foxbat E [1980]: The older and somewhat less modern cousin of the MiG-31s that brutalized us in the Bering strait. R-40RD and R-40TD only (or AA-6s for those of you who only use the NATO reporting names). This is as purebred an interceptor as you can get. Finding the plans for one might be a bit difficult.
  • Russian Su-24MR Fencer E [1988]: A bewildering array of sensors on this thing. I'm ignoring a bunch of recon aircraft but this one is weird as hell and also it might appease team swinger(wing).
  • Russian Tu-95K-22 Bear G [1988]: This one's for you, Mycroft. Kh-22N and Kh22-NA only (well, ignoring the nuclear ones since we don't exactly have any spare warheads). No idea how we'd manage to get one, mind you, and also Yooper posted that thing about bombers while I was writing this but it's staying in anyway.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Yooper posted:

Lemme get back to you on heavy bombers. The maintenance level is so extraordinarily ridiculous that we'd have to find a good way to deal with it. It might be beyond our scope. We'll see.

This is almost certainly not an elegant solution, but you could just say the bomber is only available every third mission (flies one, is down for two) to help simulate how long everything takes. And if that isn't enough, because it probably isn't, you have to pull techs from other planes so flying it grounds another two planes for the next mission or two. Want to bomb the poo poo out of some stuff? Guess you aren't flying so many CAS planes because you need their techs on the bomber. Or something like that. This doesn't address cost, though.

Mr Crustacean
May 13, 2009

one (1) robosexual

Baby Herd

Bisons are a steal but they're balanced by their limitation in range, and we can always print some more to cover losses. Let's have enough money left to pick up whatever utility assets we'll need in theatre.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I am voting for the Flogged Herd.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

I’d like to apologize to the bote lobby and, indeed, the thread writ large for my behavior as of late. I’m sorry if I might’ve made it less fun for you with my salty thoughts about our recent procurement round and honestly it’s inexcusable for me to have acted in that way.

I saw what I thought was hypocrisy from the bote lobby and I just couldn’t let go, even when I knew that there was no point in beating a horse that was well past being a rotten corpse. The bote lobby didn’t want a free bote, even though they had to salvage it? And now they got a bote that the rest of us had to pay for? Idiots, one and all, the whole lot! Their capriciousness will drive us to ruin!

But it wasn’t just that. I kept pushing too hard for the Kitties because of some dumb boyhood dream of flying one, even if it was only on the internet. I didn’t know that the Kitties didn’t have their claws and, heaven help me, I didn’t care. I wanted to be a cool pilot, and cool pilots flew F14s.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Yooper posted:

Um. I think we sold your plane to the circus and forgot to slot you into a new ride. You, an Ace, will be leading the 3d print squadron.

gently caress yeah, time to put down the volleyball and suntan oil and get back in action, baby.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

You should have just stopped after the first paragraph.

Weissritter fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 20, 2017

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Olothreutes posted:

This is almost certainly not an elegant solution, but you could just say the bomber is only available every third mission (flies one, is down for two) to help simulate how long everything takes. And if that isn't enough, because it probably isn't, you have to pull techs from other planes so flying it grounds another two planes for the next mission or two. Want to bomb the poo poo out of some stuff? Guess you aren't flying so many CAS planes because you need their techs on the bomber. Or something like that. This doesn't address cost, though.

What about it's only usable once per theater? This would probably lead to nobody deploying heavy bombers until the final mission but that seems more like a feature than a bug.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

No, no! You're pre-emptively ruining it!

Just get a bomber that's less of a hangar queen. Something like a sturdy, rugged Backfire, perhaps? :v:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Arguing for something cool is one thing, actively defaming and insulting an entire group of participants based on a strawman argument about something that was both too expensive, too limited and tactically impossible is entirely another. Please, in future dial it down and remember we're all here to have fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

power crystals posted:

What about it's only usable once per theater? This would probably lead to nobody deploying heavy bombers until the final mission but that seems more like a feature than a bug.

yeah that's sensible

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

power crystals posted:

I've been agitating for those things for months and now even I am questioning pro-Tomcat stances.

Given the printaplane rules, here's some random oddities that might be interesting. Criteria: commissioned 1980-1989 (to combat reliability concerns), at least one but no more than five unique weapons (to keep cost down), no helicopters (because I'd be here all day, holy poo poo there are so many). From that I picked a couple at my personal capricious preference that seemed notable for one reason or another.
  • Spanish AV-8S Harrier [1988]: 500lb bombs, cluster bombs, dumbfire rockets, AIM-9P WVR missiles. There's a shitload of aircraft with this basic weapons loadout but Harriers have some decent avionics and besides, nobody will even notice the increased rate of falling out of the sky when you combine "VTOL" with "reverse-engineered"! Also Harriers still look pretty cool.
  • British Canberra PR.9 [1983]: It's got OECM and nothing else, but OECM is definitely nice to have, and we haven't (yet) pissed off the Brits.
  • German F-104G Starfighter [1984]: Someone around here (xthetenth?) keeps asking about Starfighters. This one has 500lb bombs, 1000lb bombs, and AIM-9P4s. To get the blueprints for one we'd probably just need to drive around rural Germany with metal detectors for a few hours.
  • Danish F-35XD Draken [1983]: No, not that F-35. 500lb bombs, 1000lb bombs, 57mm rockets, and AIM-9Ns. Drakens are sweet as hell and also they were Swedish exports. What's not to love?
  • Nigerian Jaguar S[1985]: 1000lb bombs, cluster bombs, 68mm rockets. Another cheap ground attack aircraft that probably wouldn't be too hard to get ahold of.
  • Russian MiG-25PD Foxbat E [1980]: The older and somewhat less modern cousin of the MiG-31s that brutalized us in the Bering strait. R-40RD and R-40TD only (or AA-6s for those of you who only use the NATO reporting names). This is as purebred an interceptor as you can get. Finding the plans for one might be a bit difficult.
  • Russian Su-24MR Fencer E [1988]: A bewildering array of sensors on this thing. I'm ignoring a bunch of recon aircraft but this one is weird as hell and also it might appease team swinger(wing).
  • Russian Tu-95K-22 Bear G [1988]: This one's for you, Mycroft. Kh-22N and Kh22-NA only (well, ignoring the nuclear ones since we don't exactly have any spare warheads). No idea how we'd manage to get one, mind you, and also Yooper posted that thing about bombers while I was writing this but it's staying in anyway.

Good list, but if we want a starfighter we should go for one that has some decent A2A missiles.

http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1064/

89+2 guided for a total of 93 mill initial price is not bad.

And the starfighter has much better legs on it than the mig-21

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
So I was doing a bit of looking at the database, and the Mirage we have has a pair of interesting pods that might be worth considering for missions instead of a bomb load (because it's a pretty average attacker).

1st, the Rafele SLAR pod. Similar to, but not as powerful as, the radars on the JSTARS, but same idea. Could be useful if we're in an area with lots of mobile ground targets.

2nd, though, is far more interesting. The ASTAC ESM Pod is a far better ELINT sensor package then on our prowler, and better than even the package we have on the S100. Plus, it's in a fighter package, allowing it to get far closer to the enemy then we would be able to (or want to) with our high value Prowler or our lumbering 100. Next mission, perhaps we try the ASTAC pod instead of an average bombload, and see what additional info we get?

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

This does not read as an apology, this reads as a continuation.

Just know where to stop man.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 20, 2017

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

That's how it read to me too, "but if you guys didn't..."

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Lets just not speak of this again.

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

sparkmaster posted:

So I was doing a bit of looking at the database, and the Mirage we have has a pair of interesting pods that might be worth considering for missions instead of a bomb load (because it's a pretty average attacker).

1st, the Rafele SLAR pod. Similar to, but not as powerful as, the radars on the JSTARS, but same idea. Could be useful if we're in an area with lots of mobile ground targets.

2nd, though, is far more interesting. The ASTAC ESM Pod is a far better ELINT sensor package then on our prowler, and better than even the package we have on the S100. Plus, it's in a fighter package, allowing it to get far closer to the enemy then we would be able to (or want to) with our high value Prowler or our lumbering 100. Next mission, perhaps we try the ASTAC pod instead of an average bombload, and see what additional info we get?

This is really interesting, especially the ground search radar. Last mission we almost had a disaster because we had a hard time spotting those Bradleys.

The Mirage is an orphan, right? Which means that normally it gets sold off.

Yooper, can we keep the Mirage if we transfer it to an Intel/Radar role? As a specialty plane it being a loner should be less of an issue.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's too bad we can't use stuff from a WWII database because then I'd suggest we get like, 73 PT boats.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Hexenritter posted:

That's how it read to me too, "but if you guys didn't..."

If only we lived in a universe where the entirety of Hayard Gunnes loved the idea of a navy enough to actually support trying something like that.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Anta posted:

This is really interesting, especially the ground search radar. Last mission we almost had a disaster because we had a hard time spotting those Bradleys.

Yooper, can we keep the Mirage if we transfer it to an Intel/Radar role? As a specialty plane it being a loner should be less of an issue.

I am fairly sure units share triangulation info with elint so this plus the bote plus the s100 should make for some pretty excellent ability to id unit positions.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Guys, i'd just like to say that i've tried getting that SLAR pod (and the SLAR on that Recon Fencer) to do things in the past in testing ways to get around Bering Weather and its never been able to pick up anything smaller than a building. the only time i've ever been able to pick up SAMs/Tanks/SSMs is if i'm running a Reaper at 1k feet with its radar on. I'm not sure if its a problem with the modelling on SLARs or how i'm using them, though.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I like this a lot (especially the Draken).

Some other comedy options:

Tu-22PD Blinder E: Big and unarmed, but it's a supersonic jammer. DB says 1963 so reliability might be poo (ECM is late 1970s level).
Tu-16Ye Badger K: Slower than the Blinder, but probably cheaper and a later DB date.

Iranian F-14A, 1987 The one with Hawks as AAMs.

Israeli A-4N, 1984 TV guided bombs, ARMs, and a decoy. Probably fairly cheap.

F-104S, 1989 Italian Starfighter

F-1A, 1983 ASMs and lovely Sidewinders.

Buccaneer S.2B] ARMs, guided missiles, LGBs, a nuke, and Sidewinders.

[url=http://cmano-db.com/aircraft/1428/]A-37B, 1968
These would probably cost about two dollars.

Yugoslav Mig-29 Fulcrum A, 1988 Archers and Alamos, some dumb bombs and cluster bombs.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

paragon1 posted:

It's too bad we can't use stuff from a WWII database because then I'd suggest we get like, 73 PT boats.

If they add more WW2 units someone should do a WW2 era LP. Oldest bote is the Gangut. Oldest plane I think is the P-40. If they do add more units, it might change, especially the plane.

Also out of curiosity, what are the best F-16s we can print, and the best F-16s in the database? There's a new F-16 stealth Falcon in the newer DBs too.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 20, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pthighs posted:

gently caress yeah, time to put down the volleyball and suntan oil and get back in action, baby.

In my head cannon, your services as a flight instructor was part of the deal.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Saros posted:

I am fairly sure units share triangulation info with elint so this plus the bote plus the s100 should make for some pretty excellent ability to id unit positions.

If I'm reading the database correctly, the ASTAC podded system may be better than what we have on the Marjata. The ASTAC is a generation newer (Late 90s vs Early 90s), and direction finding accuracy is .5 degrees opposed to 3 degrees on both the Marjata and the ESM system on the S100. The rest of the stats are identical, with the exception of the ESMNumberOfChannels data point, which for the Marjata's Generic Advanced ESM system is 500, and the ASTAC pod, 200. Not sure what those mean, though.

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 20, 2017

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

power crystals posted:

That could work. Knowing when to bring the pain would be an interesting debate, and can lead to interesting scenarios in theater if we don't save it for the last mission. Seriously, the loadouts on a B-1B are nuts. 24 JASSM standoff missiles or 24 JDAMs, not to mention all the other crap they can carry.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anta posted:

Yah, I'm cool with that. We've consolidated enough that I'm not worried about 27 different airframes. If we can keep it with the AMX's I think we'll be ok.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dreamsicle posted:

Also out of curiosity, what are the best F-16s we can print, and the best F-16s in the database? There's a new F-16 stealth Falcon in the newer DBs too.

Best <= 1989: there's 49 of these. Most of them are just dumb HE/cluster bombs, mavericks, and sidewinders in whatever combination.

Hey, it's a USN aggressor aircraft!
This Egyptian one can carry sparrows and is the only F-16 in this criteria to have BVR of any kind (well okay there's an older Egyptian C with the same loadouts)
Israel has one with HARMs. Also a loadout that has two different pairs of Pythons for some reason (DB error?)
There's a SK one with LGBs but no designator so that's good
The American examples have slightly better loadouts like this one has HARMs and DECM

Ignoring year: there's 333 F-16s in total so I'm gonna need you to qualify "best" here for me :v:

e:

orcbuster posted:

Good list, but if we want a starfighter we should go for one that has some decent A2A missiles.

Yeah I didn't check every Starfighter and I guess I picked the wrong one, that's pretty neat!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
changing my vote to The Original

Cheap bomb trukks are probably more necessary than I had initially considered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Voting for The Original.

power crystals posted:

Ignoring year: there's 333 F-16s in total so I'm gonna need you to qualify "best" here for me :v:

The most versatile F-16 variant. If that still is too general, I guess the best A2G one.