Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen so don't think you can just plonk down a couple of bills and call it done. Still better than Intel pricing on mobo+cpu.

Eh. The cheapest dogshit 2133mhz DDR4 that will work fine probably with no issues on Intel boards is $130 for 16gb. 3200mhz RAM that will work fine on Ryzen at 3000 or 3200 depending on the board is $160 for name-brand good RAM.

Also, the new Intel chips perform substantially better with fast DDR4:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Those items are what will future-proof Ryzen. It is great now but unless those 16 threads run 10% faster, we aren't going to get even close to the 2500/2600k longevity that alot of people have grown accustomed to (for whatever reasons good, bad or ugly).

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen so don't think you can just plonk down a couple of bills and call it done. Still better than Intel pricing on mobo+cpu.

Coffee Lake likes better memory too (for at least the witcher 3 I guess). Got beaten with the table

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Will it take Zen 2 to remove infinity fabric from memory speeds or could it be done with the process change in Zen+(14nm+ variant)? I feel like they crippled Zen too much with the infinity fabric tie into memory speeds.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

SlayVus posted:

Will it take Zen 2 to remove infinity fabric from memory speeds or could it be done with the process change in Zen+(14nm+ variant)? I feel like they crippled Zen too much with the infinity fabric tie into memory speeds.

No it feels like a Zen 2 thing to decouple the IF and IMC, since it seems syncing them was a measure taken for simplicities sake. Currently though it seems to run at a 1:2 divider (LF is running half as fast as the IMC), so maybe it's possible to change the divider to 1:1.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMzXMvOaTZk

tldr: AMDs NVMe RAID driver installs outdated, exploitable copies of Apache and PHP just to host the config UI, and configures them to run as SYSTEM (i.e. root) and listen on all external network interfaces :psyboom:

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Seamonster posted:

But you have to buy good RAM ($$$becauseDRAMpricingisfuuuuucked$$$$) to get the better out of any Ryzen
DDR4-3000 litterally only costs a few bucks more than DDR4-2666 which is itself only a few bucks more than DDR4-2133.

Heck you can find 8GB DDR4-3000 that is only $1 more than 8GB DDR4-2133. Yeah its meant for Intel Z170 chipsets but as of AGESA 1.0.0.4-1.0.0.6 BIOS's most AM4 boards will run it at the listed speed with some minor volt bumps.

Now if you really want DDR4-3200 or faster with Ryzen then yes the more expensive AMD specific kits are necessary but DDR4-3000/2933 will give you nearly all the benefits for far less.

So at this point the whole 'AMD needs $$$$$$youfuckedboiDRAMlololol$$$$$$' RAM thing is pretty much FUD. Really it has been for months now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

I'd estimate that I spent ~$100 extra on good RAM (and because I wanted a lot of RAM) and I had to buy a cooler because I got an X and I'm pretty sure I'm still way ahead price/performance-wise over what I was looking at with a chipzilla-based system.

oh and in case anyone cares, no, I haven't had a chance to run the ryzen-killer thing yet

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Munkeymon posted:

I'd estimate that I spent ~$100 extra on good RAM (and because I wanted a lot of RAM) and I had to buy a cooler because I got an X and I'm pretty sure I'm still way ahead price/performance-wise over what I was looking at with a chipzilla-based system.

oh and in case anyone cares, no, I haven't had a chance to run the ryzen-killer thing yet

But do you want to know? It is schrodinger's cat.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Risky Bisquick posted:

Run it, find out your chip has errata, RMA it, and maybe get back a 1600 cum 1700?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Risky Bisquick posted:

I want it to be stable so have to know whether I have a bad part or need more cooling. It's probably the cooling unless somehow Linux just deals that much better with whatever that error is than Windows does, but it sounds like ryzen-killer is less guesswork-based than 'buy krakken and hope'.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

DDR4-3000 litterally only costs a few bucks more than DDR4-2666 which is itself only a few bucks more than DDR4-2133.

Heck you can find 8GB DDR4-3000 that is only $1 more than 8GB DDR4-2133. Yeah its meant for Intel Z170 chipsets but as of AGESA 1.0.0.4-1.0.0.6 BIOS's most AM4 boards will run it at the listed speed with some minor volt bumps.

Now if you really want DDR4-3200 or faster with Ryzen then yes the more expensive AMD specific kits are necessary but DDR4-3000/2933 will give you nearly all the benefits for far less.

So at this point the whole 'AMD needs $$$$$$youfuckedboiDRAMlololol$$$$$$' RAM thing is pretty much FUD. Really it has been for months now.

32 Gigs of B-Die RAM that actually runs at 3200 is $100 more than non B-Die. I Bought 32 gigs DDR4-3200 at $250, they were SK Hynix and I can't do over 2666. 32 Gigs of B-Die was, at the time, $350.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Lolcano Eruption posted:

32 Gigs of B-Die RAM that actually runs at 3200 is $100 more than non B-Die. I Bought 32 gigs DDR4-3200 at $250, they were SK Hynix and I can't do over 2666. 32 Gigs of B-Die was, at the time, $350.

You don't need b-die sticks to hit 3000 or even 3200 with the newer agesa revisions unless your motherboard is particularly finicky but it's still not entirely seamless like on Intel.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
32GB of 3200 is going to cost you guys less than it's going to cost me getting 32GB of 2400 SODIMMs.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I use hynix 3200 sticks I bought on sale, works fine ymmv

pre:
Total Size		16384 MB
Type			Dual Channel (128 bit) DDR4-SDRAM
Frequency		1463.7 MHz - Ratio 3:44
Timings			16-18-18-36-69-1 (tCAS-tRC-tRP-tRAS-tCS-tCR)

Slot #1 Module	Corsair 8192 MB (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Slot #2 Module	Corsair 8192 MB (DDR4-2137) - XMP 2.0 - P/N: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Lolcano Eruption posted:

32 Gigs of B-Die RAM that actually runs at 3200 is $100 more than non B-Die.
I don't understand what you're getting at here: when did I say otherwise?

You should note that I did say that if you want 3200 or faster you will have to pay more for it on AMD in that post you quoted.

My point was that a)3200 and/or expensive RAM isn't actually needed at all and that b)DDR4-3000, which is c)relatively cheap at the moment, gets you most of the benefits anyways if you want a nice speed boost with faster RAM for AM4 AMD platforms right now.

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I Bought 32 gigs DDR4-3200 at $250, they were SK Hynix and I can't do over 2666.
That is normal right now and AMD has been pretty clear about this as have the mobo vendors with their QVL lists. If you want 32GB+ of RAM you have to expect to sacrifice some speed since that means either filling all the DIMM slots or using DR DIMM's which have a known speed penalty right now for AM4.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

R7 2700U spotted running Andriod x86 https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/4534181

I have no idea how this compares but if AMD is targeting Android it means their aiming for the sub 10W space as well. gently caress, a 10" tablet with that kind of horsepower...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
10" tablet with Raven Ridge? Yesplz.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How is the tablet market doing in 2017?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

HP just announced this thing yesterday http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/index.html

I'd buy one if I was in the market for a new laptop, but I've also been saying that about the Surface Book since it came out

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Munkeymon posted:

HP just announced this thing yesterday http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/workstations-x2/index.html

I'd buy one if I was in the market for a new laptop, but I've also been saying that about the Surface Book since it came out

A new $2,000 laptop. It's the same problem the Surface devices fall into. Consumers buy craptops, enthusiasts buy desktops, the market for a high-end professional laptop is fairly limited let alone one with novelty features. Most professionals will expect to compute using a trackpad/trackpoint + keyboard on a laptop with a clamshell screen.

I got a Fujitsu Lifebook T4220 convertible laptop/tablet back in 2007. It was an absolutely fantastic laptop, arguably better than the Thinkpad W510 I replaced it with in some areas (the bay battery was the poo poo and I miss having that capacity). But I can count the number of times I used the tablet functionality on a single hand. It was actually more useful for drop resistance - the screen would tend to rotate out of the way rather than breaking.

It died about 5 years ago, I suspect it's something fairly minor and I still have it tucked away somewhere. I picked up a donor body for parts for $5 and maybe one of these days I'll try bringing it back.

I also have a like-new Fujitsu Stylistic ST6012 slate tablet I picked up around the same time. I have no idea what to do with it but it's a cute lil piece of hardware. :coal:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 20, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

I can't conceive of any other market for Android besides phones and lmao at the idea of a full Raven inside a 5-6" phone. I mean there are chromebooks but there are also cheap as poo poo and better specced Windows laptops for similar prices as well, and the dirt cheap chromebooks only get away with those prices for running ARM chips. This is basically AMD seeing if they can get it into a 199-299$ convertible 10-12" Android machine. Tablet devices are really popular for some reason in China and Japan IIRC as well. What even needs that much power on the Android platform though?

If I am wrong and AMD gets an R7 2700U inside a phone then holy poo poo.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
How much $$$ would the new AMD chip run (in bulk) and how much are the chips currently in these crapbooks?

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

There is no way Raven Ridge can compete on price with ARM SoCs, it's not doable. Raven Ridge is roughly as big as Summit.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD did some ARM projects at some point but I don't think we've heard much on them recently.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Chromebooks are good though? Starting in the next few weeks, all recent and upcoming models will have full Google Play Store app support, so it makes sense.

Chromebooks are also distributed in a ton of corporate and educational environments. There's a big and expanding market for them.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
CPUs aren't the general bottleneck for standalone VR, are they? I thought it was mostly GPU and heat/power consumption in general that was the issue.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

How much $$$ would the new AMD chip run (in bulk) and how much are the chips currently in these crapbooks?

FaustianQ posted:

There is no way Raven Ridge can compete on price with ARM SoCs, it's not doable. Raven Ridge is roughly as big as Summit.

I just went through Amazon's selection of Chromebooks and I could only find one that used an ARM chip and it was actually the more expensive than the rest. Most of them are using Celerons. No idea what those cost, but considering they benchmark slower than budget PC's I built ten years ago I imagine they're pretty cheap.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I just went through Amazon's selection of Chromebooks and I could only find one that used an ARM chip and it was actually the more expensive than the rest. Most of them are using Celerons. No idea what those cost, but considering they benchmark slower than budget PC's I built ten years ago I imagine they're pretty cheap.

The "Celerons" are all Atom chips, top bins IIRC. They also go for about 100-110$ if I am understanding ARK correctly.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Now that Google is pushing for Android apps on Chromebooks there has been a recent push for ARM-powered Chromebooks, notably the Samsung Chromebook Plus and the ASUS Chromebook Flip C101 which are both powered by the Rockchip RK3399 "OP1" chip.

Previously the Rockchip RK3288 powered the ASUS Chromebook C201, ASUS Chromebook Flip C100, CTL Chromebook J2, CTL Chromebook J4, Haier Chromebook 11, Hisense Chromebook, Viglen Chromebook 11, and Xolo Chromebook.

Also noteworthy, the Acer Chromebook R13 is powered by a Mediatek M8173C "CorePilot" chip.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PerrineClostermann posted:

Still declining for the 14th quarter in a row, last I checked.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Hehe this is not the thread I was looking for.

yogizh fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 21, 2017

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

NewFatMike posted:

Chromebooks are good though? Starting in the next few weeks, all recent and upcoming models will have full Google Play Store app support, so it makes sense.

Chromebooks are also distributed in a ton of corporate and educational environments. There's a big and expanding market for them.

I recently got an Acer R 11 Chromebook and it has full Play Store support - I've been really happy with it so far. It meets my needs for both laptop and tablet functionality, and aside from a few headaches getting printers set up properly the thing has been great.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I recently got an Acer R 11 Chromebook and it has full Play Store support - I've been really happy with it so far. It meets my needs for both laptop and tablet functionality, and aside from a few headaches getting printers set up properly the thing has been great.

Oh nice! I need to wipe mine and run some updates on it. Printers are pretty universally hell, so I don’t doubt that one bit. I guess Chromebooks would be the ragged edge of chip efficiency in x86 platforms. We get good results undervolting R7 chips to 35W, so hopefully the slightly more mature Raven Ridge stuff works out nicely.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
~

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 2, 2019

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

AMD is in the black after 10 years http://techreport.com/news/32736/amd-stayed-100-in-the-black-in-q3-2017

Lisa Su says they're getting 40-50% sales rep at Etailers so it looks like Mindfactory.de numbers are on point.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

FaustianQ posted:

AMD is in the black after 10 years http://techreport.com/news/32736/amd-stayed-100-in-the-black-in-q3-2017

Lisa Su says they're getting 40-50% sales rep at Etailers so it looks like Mindfactory.de numbers are on point.

Lisa Su and Saint Keller did wonders.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I want to believe Lisa is going to propel RTG to new heights, and that APUs will finally truly Be Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

NewFatMike posted:

I want to believe Lisa is going to propel RTG to new heights, and that APUs will finally truly Be Good.

Like Coffee Lake, Ryzen/Vega APUs are one of those things where you've got all the pieces for a great product and they work fine individually, they just need to not gently caress up putting them together. APUs with low/medium-settings 1080p performance and FreeSync onboard are a good value proposition for the low-end market.

Kinda sounded from the earnings call that Raven Ridge would launch in Q4 in the enthusiast market but OEM adoption wouldn't pick up until early next year.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 25, 2017