Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Finished Old Blood last night, couple of good lines in here that have been mentioned before (Rudi's Dog) but I legit laughed when BJ gets the normal shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For being a floating pair of arms BJ gets a lot of good physical humor. Screwing up Hamlet or quietly unlocking his shackles while Helga deals with a monster.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Arcsquad12 posted:

The demons in DOOM 2016 are sympathetic in the sense that they are loving terrified of the Doom Slayer

I'm kind of hoping there's the kind of customization they had in Doom '16. I liked the quad gatling cannon thing

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

unwantedplatypus posted:

I can see some people sympathizing with demons

I'm certainly more ok with people sympathizing with demons than with loving Nazis. The Church of Satan actually does some pretty good work with regards to reproductive rights etc.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Also that cyberdemon was deffo not afraid of the ol' Doom Slayer.

Just busts out the door to his cell, booting your rear end across the floor, immediately starts firing at you. But god drat was that a beautifully done boss intro.

E: https://youtu.be/zf9Khk2oZIo

Like it ain't a Doom game without a cyberdemon but they held that fucker off for so long and then in rapid succession you get the lore bit about "oh we found out their tissue is ok with being wired up" and WHAM this big bastard in your way.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 20, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The imps though? Poor bastards

White Coke
May 29, 2015
My favorite Youtube comments by a Nazis was one saying that he was going to play the game because he wanted to see all of the technological advances that would have happened if the Nazis had won when he clearly hadn't played TNO since he'd have known that all of the Nazis advances were the product of reverse engineered Jüdische Physik.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

FAUXTON posted:

Also that cyberdemon was deffo not afraid of the ol' Doom Slayer.

Just busts out the door to his cell, booting your rear end across the floor, immediately starts firing at you. But god drat was that a beautifully done boss intro.

E: https://youtu.be/zf9Khk2oZIo

Like it ain't a Doom game without a cyberdemon but they held that fucker off for so long and then in rapid succession you get the lore bit about "oh we found out their tissue is ok with being wired up" and WHAM this big bastard in your way.
Well he should have been afraid. He might have lived if he ran and hid.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Scherloch posted:

Also, that one guy on some forum who claimed the nazi killing in Wolf3D was incidental, because they just wanted to make a game where you escape from a prison, and randomly decided on nazis as the enemy. Yeah, I'm sure kicking down the door to Hitler's lair and straight-up pureeing him was entirely coincidental. He was, after all, well-known for personally guarding his prisoners.

Escaping prison is only the first act, even. They could have done anything they wanted for the other two, but guess what, they decided to fill them with Nazis (including Hitler) too. Almost like they're one of the few human factions in history that no one feels guilt gunning down by the thousands. Because they're goddamn Nazis.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Scherloch posted:

Seeing alt-righters trying to find a way to hate the game without outing themselves as nazis is an added bonus.

The most "subtle" one is whining about when will someone make a game where you kill communists.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

There's a lot of those too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
To be honest, I've probably already gotten my money's worth for this game with all the nazi apologists and alt-righters' meltdowns before the game is even out. :allears:

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Tony Snark posted:

The most "subtle" one is whining about when will someone make a game where you kill communists.

MGSV is a thing of gaming beauty.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Whoa...HOAAAAAAAAAA!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

David D. Davidson posted:

Well he should have been afraid. He might have lived if he ran and hid.

He's a cyberdemon, not a shyberdemon

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Tony Snark posted:

You've arguably killed about as many Soviets in games as nazis, especially if you count, like, the entire Red Alert series.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

You've arguably killed about as many Soviets in games as nazis, especially if you count, like, the entire Red Alert series.
I always preferred to play as the Soviets though. Tesla Coils all day every day.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Really just strategy games - grand, real-time, turn-based, or otherwise - in general.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Groetgaffel posted:

I always preferred to play as the Soviets though. Tesla Coils all day every day.

I consider myself culpable for the deaths of all those conscripts I ordered into killing fields.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

I consider myself culpable for the deaths of all those conscripts I ordered into killing fields.
Yeah, that's fair.
Still, I usually went for mostly tanks. They made such satisfying sounds when you ran infantry over.

I miss Command and Conquer. :smith:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tony Snark posted:

For those of you playing Wolf09 and having a good time, I highly recommend Singularity. It's made by the same studio and it's basically Wolfenstein: 1950s Soviet Edition

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I wish that game got a sequel, it was really fun.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Was just going to suggest that - especially if you're really that torn up about killing/mutilating communists.

Also, go grab any of the Operation: Flashpoint games if you want to kill communists with a sense of tactical flare. It's made by Czech's who delight in killing their communist oppressors.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 21, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Tony Snark posted:

Where were these people when Freedom Fighters came and quietly went into night of the PS2 era? Oh right, it isn't blatantly racist enough. How about World in Conflict? Oh you don't like the idea of the USA losing a war effort and nuking itself in desperation? Well poo poo, that gets rid of Homefront too. What was that game where some dude that likely fabricated his special forces career sneaks into North Korea in the 1980s and says a bunch of mother fuckers and other swears as he one man destroys NK?

Oh wait "communists" means minorities and lefties. Well there's always Hatred, cupcake. You remember that great game that sold because of how offensive it was? Such a great success!

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Crabtree posted:

Where were these people when Freedom Fighters came and quietly went into night of the PS2 era? Oh right, it isn't blatantly racist enough. How about World in Conflict? Oh you don't like the idea of the USA losing a war effort and nuking itself in desperation? Well poo poo, that gets rid of Homefront too. What was that game where some dude that likely fabricated his special forces career sneaks into North Korea in the 1980s and says a bunch of mother fuckers and other swears as he one man destroys NK?

Oh wait "communists" means minorities and lefties. Well there's always Hatred, cupcake. You remember that great game that sold because of how offensive it was? Such a great success!

One major difference between the USSR and nazi Germany is that the USSR actually stood the slimmest chance of defeating its enemies.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Crabtree posted:

Hold up a sec - do slavs count as white to white supremacists? I seem to remember this being a point of contention in the past. For sure Hitler didn't consider them equals.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

World in Conflict owned.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crabtree posted:

id play a new freedom fighter or some sort of soviet invasion of the US action/fps game. and yeah, they want hatred or something like it. hatred was weird and meh game, but some of the mods make it sorta amusing just to see the physics and poo poo.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 21, 2017

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

unwantedplatypus posted:

One major difference between the USSR and nazi Germany is that the USSR actually stood the slimmest chance of defeating its enemies.

In what context? The USSR steamrolled the Germans after Germany hosed up their push into Russia, and could have singlehandedly forced the Nazis back to Berlin through attrition alone.
Yeah the other Allies advancing from the west forced the Nazis into a two-front war that tightened the noose faster, but the Nazis had a serious problem once Russia started forcing them back.

Edit -- I mean unless the Nazis had deployed their UFOs carrying jet pack cyborgs with plasma guns, of course

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Are any remotely sane people actually making a stink about this game? I thought it was just terrible comment section stuff

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

In what context? The USSR steamrolled the Germans after Germany hosed up their push into Russia, and could have singlehandedly forced the Nazis back to Berlin through attrition alone.
Yeah the other Allies advancing from the west forced the Nazis into a two-front war that tightened the noose faster, but the Nazis had a serious problem once Russia started forcing them back.

Edit -- I mean unless the Nazis had deployed their UFOs carrying jet pack cyborgs with plasma guns, of course

USSR just used the tactic of let morons go into their expansive territory and then raise everything to the ground, it probably would have taken a little longer once the Germans stopped fighting in their area and the Russians were coming towards them, but yeah, it was a foregone conclusion the Nazis would have lost. It could have taken maybe even into the 1950 depending on how well Germany and the Nazi leadership could have weathered even more than 4 years of war, but if they were fighting Germany or even the Axis alone it would have taken a little while longer to bleed the Reich out.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

precision posted:

Are any remotely sane people actually making a stink about this game? I thought it was just terrible comment section stuff

it's just white supremacists, nazi's, neo-nazi's, pro-fascism, and alt-right trolls making a stink.

so, no. No sane people are upset in the least.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I want to say that it's 90% trolls but I've been in enough political facebook groups to know that WHO ARE THE REAL NAZIS?? is a real thing

how the gently caress did defending nazis become a political opinion i hate everything

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Because agreeing with people you are opposed to is now a mortal sin so when you come across a group you would both normally not like but you can't risk looking like you're in agreement with other people you hate the bad people aren't so bad any more. Then internet groupthink takes things from there.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

I think that's what he meant.

Even if America never joined the war, Nazi Germany wouldn't have survived. Their "blitzkrieg" only worked because they suddenly had SMGs and armored vehicles and got to use them on basically peasant militias using single shot rifles from preWW1. As soon as they ran into an enemy that could match their military might with it's own inventions, mixed with it's own war economy the Germans basically had no chance of maintaining a military state. I've seen more then a few stories about how most German tech at the time wasn't actually top of the line/"good", it was just the best when it came out because it came out first. There was that goon in the last Wolfenstein thread? ( or a CoH thread, god I don't remember ) that put up a huge bit about how tank design changed dramatically during WW2 to shaped/curved fronts to mess with shells, and the Germans were still using the horrible box design by the end of the war.

Add in a crazed demagogue that believed his people to be superior and would have never backed down against the Soviets and you have a melting pot of failure.

The idea of the superstrong German soldier using superpowerful German engineered weapons and vehicles that we barely beat with HEROISM and SACRIFICE came from the US/UK propagandizing after the war.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It turns out methheads don't make good leaders. Who'd have thought?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Hold up a sec - do slavs count as white to white supremacists? I seem to remember this being a point of contention in the past. For sure Hitler didn't consider them equals.

Given the number of legit nazis and white supremacists in Russia these days I'd guess they consider themselves white w/r/t facist opinions on the matter.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Crabtree posted:

What was that game where some dude that likely fabricated his special forces career sneaks into North Korea in the 1980s and says a bunch of mother fuckers and other swears as he one man destroys NK?

Rogue Warrior, by Richard Marcinko.

He didn't fabricate much of anything about his career... until it was over, he'd done a stint in prison, and he made a fair bit of money writing what's essentially fanfiction about himself. The Rogue Warrior novels are compelling in much the same way as looping .gifs of major disasters.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Rookersh posted:

I think that's what he meant.

Even if America never joined the war, Nazi Germany wouldn't have survived. Their "blitzkrieg" only worked because they suddenly had SMGs and armored vehicles and got to use them on basically peasant militias using single shot rifles from preWW1. As soon as they ran into an enemy that could match their military might with it's own inventions, mixed with it's own war economy the Germans basically had no chance of maintaining a military state. I've seen more then a few stories about how most German tech at the time wasn't actually top of the line/"good", it was just the best when it came out because it came out first. There was that goon in the last Wolfenstein thread? ( or a CoH thread, god I don't remember ) that put up a huge bit about how tank design changed dramatically during WW2 to shaped/curved fronts to mess with shells, and the Germans were still using the horrible box design by the end of the war.

Add in a crazed demagogue that believed his people to be superior and would have never backed down against the Soviets and you have a melting pot of failure.

The idea of the superstrong German soldier using superpowerful German engineered weapons and vehicles that we barely beat with HEROISM and SACRIFICE came from the US/UK propagandizing after the war.

yeah, this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

echronorian posted:

I want to say that it's 90% trolls but I've been in enough political facebook groups to know that WHO ARE THE REAL NAZIS?? is a real thing

how the gently caress did defending nazis become a political opinion i hate everything

looking up some choice cuts just now and there are people who actually (pretend to) believe that Andromeda was a bad game because it was inclusive and not because it was massacred in development and barely cobbled together

i think i'll get blazed and replay TNO