Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

I remember on the official Bioware forums back in the day there was someone who kept playing through BG1 and re-importing their character until they had 25s in every stat through using the stat books, I don't think they were using a level uncapper or any other mods.
I tried doing that once, but quickly became bored during the second run. Max level and all the nice equipment takes a lot of the challenge out of the game.

I also remember when I discovered the Console, furiously typing the Midas() and FirstAid() commands to get gold and potions! And a short time after that, using the Console to create all the stat tomes to bulk my character to 25 in all stats and instantly thinking "this is dumb" moments later.

You know what was fun? Gems that didn't stack and no containers to carry all your crap! Also, what was the ammo stack? 40? I can't seem to recall if scrolls stacked or not... Inventory management was a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Projectile stacks were 20 max. Potions, scrolls and gems were 5 max.

I remember as a kid my inventory was 80% filled with arrows.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
20 to a projectile stack, that's right! I remember the 5 for potions as well. I know jewelry didn't (and doesn't) stack, but I vaguely remember also juggling gems.

I never used archery too much because it required a ridiculous amount of inventory space and because it was a pain in the rear end to switch between sword-and-board and a bow. I'm frankly surprised this was only resolved with Siege of Dragonspear.

Good times spending a proficiency point in Large Swords and wielding anything from long swords and up. So much easier.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
I remember I was like 12 or 13 when I got bg1 and xzar and montaron were the absolute weirdest fuckers to me. I still don't know exactly what is going on w/ them.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
There was at least one popular BG1/TotSC experience cap remover mod (to level 20 or 30 if memory serves, since it'd bug out if you advanced past a certain point). For arrows, I think you had to overflow-glitch the stack or just value-change the stacks to stupidly large via GateKeeper etc.

It was all very helpful for players using weaker characters, and/or being super cheesy.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 20, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

does anyone remember what it was like playing BG1 before BG2 came out?

did people mod in a higher level cap in lieu of not having another game? did rpg people really go insane for bg1 like I think they did

Go play the GOG version of Betrayal at Krondor, that was released in 1993, between that and BG1 being released in 1998 was not all that much. It was the biggest AAA fantasy game of the day, almost as big as Diablo 1. I think that was the histroy really, Betrayal, Diablo, then Baldurs Gate.

Zane posted:

I remember I was like 12 or 13 when I got bg1 and xzar and montaron were the absolute weirdest fuckers to me. I still don't know exactly what is going on w/ them.

They are insane sociopathic gay lover assassins.

Now I want a gay romance mod where you can romance either one and then have to face down the other in a duel to the death if you succeed.

Washout fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 20, 2017

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was really into Diablo and I saw this game and got pumped. I eventually bought it when I was 12 or 13 and was expecting a game that played like Diablo. I was sorely disappointed and thought this was a lovely, poorly executed Diablo ripoff. It wasn't until I first gave the game a second chance six years ago that I realized it was great and not until August that I finally beat it for the first time.

Part of me is glad I skipped it early on cause those arrow stack sizes would have driven me insane. It's really fun reading everyone's memories of the game. At least once a week I think back fondly to playing games on old, lovely computers. Fighting with computers to play Warcraft 2, Fallout, and Half-Life and being amazed that Starcraft always worked without any fuss. Those were the days, man.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I played Baldurs Gate when it first came out when I was around 9 or 10 and I had absolutely no idea wtf I was doing. Stopped and started multiple times and always ended up quitting around Cloakwood/The Bandit Camp cause I got lost, but managed to explore the whole map. I still remember changing CDs between map screens and then eventually losing one of them at some point.

Played and completed BG2 in my teens but still had no idea what was going on. I figured out that holy smite was pretty drat good though.

Only really started to grapple with the systems when I came back to the series in my very late teens/early twenties.

I really remember the stand-off in RPG communities in my early teens over Neverwinter Nights vs Dungeon Siege vs Morrowind. My brother got Neverwinter Nights but I still had no idea wtf was going on with D&D (didn't even realise it was a different version of the same systems in BG) so didn't really like it till I was older. I gravitated more towards Dungeon Siege because it was hacky and slashy and online play was fun.

Out of all of them I ended up playing Morrowind the most though. It's like crack to me.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 20, 2017

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

does anyone remember what it was like playing BG1 before BG2 came out?

Oh hell yes. It was like changing CDs a lot. Until I found a tip in a printed game mag (remember those things?) that would let you install the whole thing on hard drive, assuming you had an unthinkable 3Gb or so spare!

Also, playing as pure thief, because thieves are fun, and I had done well with one in P&P 2nd edition - what could go wrong?

I think I made it about as far as mines before re-rolling as pure fighter with a bow, which seemed a terribly OP thing at the time.

Although as someone else mentioned, arrow stack sizes were terrible.

Still loved it though. Being young is a hell of a drug...

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

xiansi posted:

Oh hell yes. It was like changing CDs a lot.
I remember being somewhat confused at how BG2 was such a large and advanced game and fit into 4 CDs while BG1 had 6 +1 for TOTSC.

I now kinda recall eventually modifying my world exploration in a way to minimize CD swapping.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
BG1 discs weren't compressed IIRC.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I scratched up my disks enough with the original paper holder that I ordered replacement copies for 5 bucks

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Some of my discs are still scattered around the house after a renovation and two moves.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011
The first time I played BG1 was with some demo disc my dad got at a supermarket. At the time I thought that was the entire game, and I had no idea what was going on but I play it countless times with different characters. It wasn't until years later that I learned the actual game is much longer.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I still have a CD case with a ton of old games somewhere. All the Infinity Engine games, the AoEs, everything Jagged Alliance, most of the C&C series, MDK2, all the old Blizzard games, some HoMM, some Tomb Raider...

I think I had to get new BG2 CDs twice.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Nighteyedie posted:

The first time I played BG1 was with some demo disc my dad got at a supermarket. At the time I thought that was the entire game, and I had no idea what was going on but I play it countless times with different characters. It wasn't until years later that I learned the actual game is much longer.

There are so, so many demos I remember playing, of so many games that may as well have never existed, all lost in time.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ugh gently caress constant disc changes. My disc 2 (or maybe 3?) had a scratch on it so I couldnt go to that area directly south of Beregost. It was years before I actually got to explore there

Also I bought TotSC but it was a different regionalised version from my base game (which was the out-of-region one) so it didn't work. Being like 10 at the time I couldn't afford to buy the base game again and didn't know how to import TotSC so it was years before I got to play that too.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i had to buy two copies of baldur's gate due to scratching my cd's. then i bought bg2 and somewhere before ToB making disc images became easy enough for me to do it and it was goodbye for constant cd changing!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I’ve still got my original copies of 1 and 2.

I remember playing 1 for the first time was pretty exciting because my friends and I played ad&d but we were dumb kids so it was a hard game. I ended up just cheating my stats and filling my inventory with exploding arrows and summoning drizzts and go on killing sprees because I’d usually get bored at or around the mines. I did have the strategy guide though so I had an understanding of what else the game had to offer. It wasn’t until after 2 came out that I had a better understanding of the game and went back to replay one.

I also bought the novelization of 1 and thought it was the weirdest poo poo ever. I think it made me stop buying d&d novels.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
BG was my first exposure to D&D, a fact that may be to blame for 13 year old me just jumping in without looking up anything about the classes and making a Monk in BG2 because I really wanted to play as Bruce Lee.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Wowee did the EE make the final ToB fight harder or do I just suck at videogames more now than I did the first time around?

My usual tactic of endless summon dudes isn't working out because M's summons are way better than mine (excepting the planatar/Deva)

Edit: got it, had gotten through two with summons, used traps for#3 and three spellstrike wands on the last

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 23, 2017

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a way to fix the dumb AI in NWN2? I'm basically having to play the game with the AI turned off, since characters will randomly attack different enemies and provoke attacks of opportunity without any real reason.

Also I decided to play as a rogue (gently caress me).

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
This is the IE thread but yeah you can DL AI mods for nwn2.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dyna Soar posted:

This is the IE thread but yeah you can DL AI mods for nwn2.

Can you direct me to the thread for whatever engine NWN is?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Google nan2 nexus and check out the AI mods category

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

Not sure if the best or most frustrating end to kiting Drizzt ever. As I had already hit the XP cap, I'm inclined to think this is an awesome new Drizzt killing technique.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

cigaw posted:

Not sure if the best or most frustrating end to kiting Drizzt ever. As I had already hit the XP cap, I'm inclined to think this is an awesome new Drizzt killing technique.

I like to think all the Gnolls died in a similar fashion with their 10 foot tall lightening rod halberds.

I remember cheesing Drizzt way back on the original release by aggroing him and then slowly whittling him down with arrows from the other side of the lake. As a child I wasn't aware of his "fame" so I just thought he was a hidden boss character.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Started playing the EEs a good while ago, ran out of steam shortly after importing to BG2. Finally loaded my save up again. I have no memory of the mods I installed but my party was in the Haer Dalis prison dimension and the cambion there proceeded to hit my guys with several greater whirlwinds :shepspends:

Took a couple of reloads and I'm now facing the issue that I've never had a bard in my party and don't know what to do with him.

Also some guy sold me a mule that now follows me around but looks like a mushroom guy.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Started playing the EEs a good while ago, ran out of steam shortly after importing to BG2. Finally loaded my save up again. I have no memory of the mods I installed but my party was in the Haer Dalis prison dimension and the cambion there proceeded to hit my guys with several greater whirlwinds :shepspends:

Took a couple of reloads and I'm now facing the issue that I've never had a bard in my party and don't know what to do with him.

Also some guy sold me a mule that now follows me around but looks like a mushroom guy.

These mods sound, erm, magical :allears:

If you did your modding via Weidu, you can check out your logfile in your Baldur's Gate 2 folder, weidu.log :eng101:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Am I allowed to talk about NWN 1/2 in this thread? I can't find any other threads that would be more appropriate and even though it's not Infinity engine, the games are still 3.5E.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I think there's been a lot of NWN discussion in the thread already, so I don't see why not.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is there a good time to multiclass a rogue into something else? I'm thinking about going into duelist once I hit level 10 but I'm digging being able to so pretty much everything outside of combat. I might just take the rogue all the way to level cap but I'm not sure if that's advisable in the expansion packs.

Also, downloading an AI mod has made NWN2 super fun to play.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Branch out from Rogue. They fall off sharply in the NWN2 expansion unless you can somehow grab the feats that allow you to sneak attack things immune to sneak attacks super early.

Haven't played NWN2 in a while though, ymmv and all that. :downs:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I recommend getting 16 levels of rogue at maximum before level 20, so you can take 4 or more levels on a full BAB class (fighters and such) for a 4th attack per round. In general though, try to get odd number of rogue levels, since Sneak attack improves only on odd levels.

It’s hard to give more specific advice without seeing your character, but 4+ levels of fighter for some extra feats and weapon specialization are a pretty sure bet. Getting a single level of Shadowdancer for Hide in Plain Sight is always good choice as well.

Smol fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 30, 2017

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Rogue is poo poo garbage useless for like 75% of NWN2, and then yet again in it's sequel, because 3.x is a bad system and gently caress-all can actually be hit with sneak attack.

EDIT: Of course, much as with Baldur's Gate, the game is pretty drat easy, enough so that, well, being a character who can't actually contribute to combat doesn't ACTUALLY end up hindering you a ton.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Neverwinter Nights / NWN2 thread was archived a couple of years back, which was a shame - it didn't get much regular traffic but it's always handy to have a place to go to read new opinions on all the hundreds of mods and that.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ProfessorCirno posted:

Rogue is poo poo garbage useless for like 75% of NWN2, and then yet again in it's sequel, because 3.x is a bad system and gently caress-all can actually be hit with sneak attack.

EDIT: Of course, much as with Baldur's Gate, the game is pretty drat easy, enough so that, well, being a character who can't actually contribute to combat doesn't ACTUALLY end up hindering you a ton.

Yeah I kind of noticed that. Also the way the game handles sneak attack is kind of hit and miss. I thought about getting Spring Attack so I can just run around for backstabs but it makes all those ranks in tumble basically useless.

Does it make sense to go into Ranger levels for two handed fighting since I'm already using finesse weapons? My wisdom is only 10 so I can't really do much with spellcasting, but I've got a really high Use Magic Item skill rank so it probably wouldn't matter since I can already use scrolls or wands to cast low level spells.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
here's a p. good build that i played the game with back in the day:

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Infernal_Ranger_Ro(16),Ra(13),SD(1)

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Dyna Soar posted:

here's a p. good build that i played the game with back in the day:

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Infernal_Ranger_Ro(16),Ra(13),SD(1)

Thanks, I'll check this out. Weapon Master also might be a good option for me if I spec into rapiers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
NWN2 is a mechanical hot mess, but, to be honest, was always going to be. It takes a system that already had a lot of gaping holes (D&D 3.5) that really wasn't designed for video games, and then breaks it further by making it real time with pause instead of turn based. No dev team can save that.

Fortunately, the game isn't really designed for difficulty even before you take the rests into account. Then you DO take the rests into account, and then you realize you can practically rest between every fight with ease, and all possibility of challenge is gone.

The main thing with sneak attack is that in 3.x, a lot of poo poo is immune to it. Getting it isn't hard, really. It's just that the list of things immune to it include constructs, undead, elementals, and spirits, which...well, I just described nearly all your enemies in the initial game, and a ton in the expansion. And that's kinda all the rogue has going for it. That's not even a NWN2 problem. That's a D&D problem.