Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Millstone posted:

There’s a rubber gasket surrounding the bezel

At least there is on mine

no, I mean on the bottom of the monitor, the exhaust opening, I’ve noticed a lot of dust gets in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the edges around the exhaust openings are sharp as gently caress. so much so that I have to adjust my grip when I’m carrying my mbp so as not to cut my hand

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

this should be changed to :apple:

not based on the android lover posts around iyg

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Microsoft: "take Surface with you wherever you go! Surface loves car rides and going to the beach! Surface is a good boy!"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

well why not posted:

It's like they want it to be a pronoun.

they’ve been doing this since the Macintosh days and it’s always been stupid. nobody inside the company does it and even the execs often slip up when they’re supposed to be doing it right. they need to stop it because it is dumb and awkward and it’s never going to catch on with anyone.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

dumb and awkward and never going to catch on with anyone.
dont sign yuor posts

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

they’ve been doing this since the Macintosh days and it’s always been stupid. nobody inside the company does it and even the execs often slip up when they’re supposed to be doing it right. they need to stop it because it is dumb and awkward and it’s never going to catch on with anyone.

It comes off sounding like

I mean, goddamn. Use a loving article.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i think it has something to do with trademark law

like theres a dumb bit in it where if you use articles it means you consider it a public word and implicitly give up protecting it

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

the edges around the exhaust openings are sharp as gently caress. so much so that I have to adjust my grip when I’m carrying my mbp so as not to cut my hand

sounds like you were holding it wrong

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

sounds like you were holding it wrong

they were, now theyre holding it right thanks to the training edges designed by sir jony ‘light box’ ive

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.

poty posted:

i think it has something to do with trademark law

like theres a dumb bit in it where if you use articles it means you consider it a public word and implicitly give up protecting it

If that were true, wouldn't every tissue company just call their product Kleenex?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
if that were true then every company would refer to their product without using articles like "the" or "an" or "your".

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

hello, i'm jeff bezos, president of google, an we're proud to announce the next "an android phone" wooo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

*the spirit of steve jobs drifts down from heaven and bellows* AND ONE MORE THING

*a hologram of extremely slim iPhone v9001 flickers onstage

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

So happy I dodged a bullet on the 2017 macbook "pro"

Meanwhile my 2010 macbook pro is better than ever a month after replacing a single capacitor on the logic board and being able to reenable the nvidia gpu. Not having to use the intel graphics anymore was like getting a brand new computer!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

r u ready to WALK posted:

Meanwhile my 2010 macbook pro is better than ever a month after replacing a single capacitor on the logic board and being able to reenable the nvidia gpu. Not having to use the intel graphics anymore was like getting a brand new computer!

I jumped from a 2012 MacBook 15” to the new one and the difference was honestly negligible

like, I know it’s mostly intel’s fault but dang, I expected to be blown away with a 5 year increase in speed and turns out it’s almost depressing

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I jumped from a 2012 MacBook 15” to the new one and the difference was honestly negligible

like, I know it’s mostly intel’s fault but dang, I expected to be blown away with a 5 year increase in speed and turns out it’s almost depressing

more like Snoore’s law

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

r u ready to WALK posted:

is there a writeup on this? should i bother doing it to my old 2010 mbp?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

creationist believer posted:

more like Snoore’s law

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

C.H.O.M.E posted:

is there a writeup on this? should i bother doing it to my old 2010 mbp?

if you are getting kernel panics whenever anything kicks the nvidia gpu into action then yes. replacing the capacitor completely solves the problem.

lots of how to videos on YouTube if you look for c9560

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

if you are getting kernel panics whenever anything kicks the nvidia gpu into action then yes. replacing the capacitor completely solves the problem.

lots of how to videos on YouTube if you look for c9560

very cool, part ordered. i can't check for kernel panic logs because i'm not using that computer but i have been using gfxcardstatus to disable the nvidia gpu for a number of years because the screen goes black and it crashes whenever the nvidia gpu turns on, so i am guessing i have that issue.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
hello thread. just tried out the keyboard on Macbook Pro. it is very bad but not quite as bad as I feared. I'd take the keyboard on this 2011 sarnsung any day

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

creationist believer posted:

more like Snoore’s law

lol

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

it is very bad but not quite as bad as I feared

you could have just said its your posting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is the SE the same as it’s always been or do they upgrade it

when will it have a A11 in it

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
still 6s guts. early this year they increased storage for the same prices, iirc. best phone I’ve ever had. my stock options and RSUs appreciate the growth provided by the big phones, but they feel like a placeholder until miniaturization again dominates the advancements and we can just buy an SE sized iPhone X.

big phones are a waste of space when you can just get an SE and 10.5 iPad Pro. let each device be true to itself, imo.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
so today i was curious how the magsafe replacement dongles were doing, here's what i found

- the griffin one that's been around for over year (bulky, not reversible, uses a proprietary cable).
- Snapnator, the kickstarted one that shipped but universally reviewed as poor quality and prone to overheating
- MagC, a kickstarter that has since been suspended for being a scam.
- MagNeo, a kickstarter that was supposed to ship in Feb 2017 (but hasn't yet)
- Bolt, whose product page has a "Buy Now!" button that... links to its indiegogo campaign?

and finally... this thing

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I still can't even wrap my loving head around getting rid of MagSafe. design has a real loving problem with MUST MAKE THINNAR

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
you are talking about the company that thought adding giant gently caress off headers in ios11 was a good idea

post steve apple is 💩

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i love my headphone port, how long does yospos think i can keep my 6s

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

NEED MORE MILK posted:

I still can't even wrap my loving head around getting rid of MagSafe. design has a real loving problem with MUST MAKE THINNAR

many people don’t. allow me to explain.

in the past, your laptop would last for 4 hours of screen time. which means basically you always wanted to be plugged in when you could.

today, laptops last more like 10 hours on a single charge*. the usage model has changed. now you’re supposed to plug your laptop at night when you’re not using it, not when you’re at a coffee shop trying to be seen.

combine that with the docking model, where you ideally only plug in one cable and you get your power, display, usb and thunderbolt peripherals, and networking from the same socket. only one cable to plug in when you’re at your desk, zero cables to plug in when you’re at starbucks.

hth

* unless you use chrome, which will suck your battery dry in no time

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
itunes on windows 10 is still the worst, most crash prone, and least functional piece of software i use on a daily basis. this includes IE11

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
its crashed twice in 20 minutes, and when i went to restart it the last time it started in the background and promptly ate up a few gigs of ram until i closed the process

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

NEED MORE MILK posted:

why couldn’t Apple have just...made the MagSafe connector thinner? :confused:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

boy i was p excited to have work issue me a mbp to replace their windows 7 thinkpad but i didn't really expect them to issue me a complete piece of poo poo that can't sleep for more than a few hours without crashing and blowing away everything i had open

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

why couldn’t Apple have just...made the MagSafe connector thinner? :confused:

because it would still need to be a separate port from the usb-c/thunderbolt one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Jony Ive is a dumbass

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

The Management posted:

many people don’t. allow me to explain.

in the past, your laptop would last for 4 hours of screen time. which means basically you always wanted to be plugged in when you could.

today, laptops last more like 10 hours on a single charge*. the usage model has changed. now you’re supposed to plug your laptop at night when you’re not using it, not when you’re at a coffee shop trying to be seen.

combine that with the docking model, where you ideally only plug in one cable and you get your power, display, usb and thunderbolt peripherals, and networking from the same socket. only one cable to plug in when you’re at your desk, zero cables to plug in when you’re at starbucks.

hth

* unless you use chrome, which will suck your battery dry in no time

[in extremely Apple voice] in the future everything will be wireless!

*gets rid of MagSafe to create a dongle port for a shitload of not wireless things*

There’s just no way we can combine both features

[img surface pro dock connector]

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Oct 22, 2017

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NEED MORE MILK posted:

[img thunderbolt cinema display]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

reminder: apple had a single port dock that was also a best in class 5k monitor and they stopped making it to sell some trash from lg that exploded around wifi