Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

alright, that's a pretty convincing argument for Balkans

i sure hope one zoltán dani doesn't end up in charge of an S-300

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Balkans

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Balkins

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

shas posted:

alright, that's a pretty convincing argument for Balkans

i sure hope one zoltán dani doesn't end up in charge of an S-300

If he does, let's try to make sure the Dani Bakery and Air Defence Center ends up on our side.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Changing my vote to Med just to be contrarian. Even though I slightly prefer the Balkans sometimes I think Bac's opinion has too much sway on the overall consensus.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Med

ldragon
Feb 18, 2011
Balkins

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Balkings

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Bollocks

Tracksuits and sex slavery

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

This was one hell of a close vote. Ideally both locations look like a ton of fun, so I think the fact that it was close is a good sign. We'll have fun in the Balkans and have opportunities on both land, sea, and air. Dogmocracy will rear its furry head in the future, but for something... milder.

The next big question becomes... where do we base out of? Seeing as I've picked a couple of lackluster airbases this time I'll leave it to you guys! A simple airbase will be cheaper than a fully functioning military airfield.

A few examples.

I've heard requests for a GroundMaster radar. I think we can work this, but it must remain at one of the airbases. I'm open to an additional SHORAD, but not something on the level of the SA-22. Glynnenstein will be our only one. Another group ZSU-23-4 would be acceptable. Now would be the time to request other ground related items.

Ourairports.com is a good place to start, or even Wikipedia and drag out a list of air fields. Dirt fields are not acceptable for our aircraft. Major civilian fields, such as Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport are not acceptable.

You guys can come to a consensus or propose fields and we'll vote.

Back to you Hired Goons!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Time to open up some airport research!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Let's not skimp.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well, if we were to go all-in on YugoImport, Željava would be the dream pick, assuming that it could be brought back up to code. But that's probably a bit too expensive.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Gjadër Air Base in Albania looks pretty nice. Its not really in use, has two long runways AND has a mountain plane storage bunker, that's some nice protection. All we'd need to do is rent a couple radio trailers, maybe get an extra mobile radar and we'd be set since its tower got burned to the ground a while back.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

We obviously want the basic amenities package and at that point throwing in another 500k for the hardened shelters won't break the bank. Fetesti seems like a good idea.

I lowkey hope our Shilkas get to show their stuff against a not too determined strike but this seems like a careful what you wish for type thing.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Seconding Gjadër. It's got great range to the entire theatre and bunkers and two runways.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Also supporting Gjadër.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
A pair of options if we're working from Yugo territory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ni%C5%A1_Constantine_the_Great_Airport

Two runways (2500m and 1700m), plenty of parking room and located almost slap bang in the middle of the region. Provides great coverage if we want to go into Romania or Bulgaria, but getting our Fishbeds to Hungary would be an issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osijek_Airport

Osijek is a single runway, but at 2500m long, it can play host to all our aircraft. If you want to go into Hungary, this is one of the better airfields for that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

koolkevz666 posted:

Also supporting Gjadër.

Mountain base for our cyberpunk commando airforce? Yes.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read some article that apparently all the weed in Europe comes from Albania now and I asked an Albanian buddy about it and sorta while I was asking I wondered if this wasn't kinda an offensive thing to be asking but he just went lol yep

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Yooper posted:

I've heard requests for a GroundMaster radar. I think we can work this, but it must remain at one of the airbases. I'm open to an additional SHORAD, but not something on the level of the SA-22. Glynnenstein will be our only one. Another group ZSU-23-4 would be acceptable. Now would be the time to request other ground related items.

Wait, don't we own two SA-22s? I thought it was 2x Shilka 2x Pantsir 1x HAWK.

So with this, my point is to make us look "serious" to people around us; an airbase with over $1B of assets guarded by rent-a-cops with soviet surplus assault rifles implies a certain level of carelessness. A couple AFVs doing occasional laps around the perimeter on the other hand puts an immediate face to any "no trespassing" signs we erect. It's all about keeping up appearances.

So, I would like:
  • Any surface search radar >= 200nm. Nick Esasky had a bunch listed earlier, I'd be fine with any of those or there's like 50 more. This is just because we can't have the Argus in the air 24/7 and the search radar from our HAWK battery is embarrassingly short-ranged. We don't want to get ambushed by some lovely Fishbeds that happened to turn up while we weren't watching because it took too long to get our fighters started and airborne. Early warning saves lives.
  • 2x BTR-ZD platoons (2 vehicles each).
  • 2x Swedish 120mm mortar (apparently this is just one single dude lugging the mortar and its ammo around, that guy must be ripped).
  • 1x Kuwaiti FV510 platoon (4 vehicles each). Or there's like a dozen Bradleys equivalent to this but these look cooler.

The BTR-ZDs are really, really bad as AA. But, they're small, cheap, and can hose down an area with suspected land targets in it without us having to ask our actual AA assets to do that. While this stuff won't stop a determined push, it means we can at least not have to worry about random assholes walking up to our base and shooting our valuable planes with RPGs, and it might even take out a few helicopters while our bigger guns deal with fixed-wing assets. We've already been told our base may be threatened, and ground assets are way cheaper than air, so why not have one extra layer of protection for when helicopters full of angry eastern Europeans try landing in our base? As an added bonus, we might even be able bring some of these along for SAR-type missions or even use the IFVs to insert forces ourselves or support allied ground advances in lower-intensity conflicts. Even if we can't, well, it still makes us look like we mean business.

I also don't really want to get into extended ground conflicts so thus only one set of IFVs and no tanks. That aint our job. Our ground exists to support our air, not the other way around. That and Command's ground combat simulation is... not as interesting as air or sea.

I think someone wanted artillery but offhand I can't find anything that isn't either worthless or a huge investment (or Russian, the Russians fuckin' love artillery, but since we just pissed them off...). I am very sad the DB (either one!) doesn't seem to contain either the Bandkanon-1 or the AMOS :sweden:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Feteşti Air Base

Remember how the Dragonslayers got their name ? Hardened shelters or nothing.\

e. Also what ^^ that guy said about a small base force element.

Coiler121
May 26, 2017
Gjader holds a special place in my heart. Not just for the location and fortification, but because my very first Command scenario (Albania Airstrike, it's in the community pack) had the player [as Italy] bombing it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Main problem with Gjader is that the Albanians might not be willing to let a bunch of mercs operate out of it into a civil war they're not actually involved in.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gjader is doable for a premium. An additional million per mission.

Seeing as we are more mercenary and less tied down to a single entity we have the freedom to operate independently, but as such it comes with some penalties. In this case financial penalties. I'm not going to go all X-COM and let us build bases, but we should be able to make it nice and cozy.

And remember, we can still use a smaller location to base our short legged planes out of.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Any tank is better than no tank.

Seeing as how this is being based out of the balkans, why not see if you can rent some T-55s from the Albanian military ? Would be cheap to just rent, and you don't have to worry about transporting them out, and in a pinch, they could defend the airbase from some surprise ground attack.

Edit: Albania only seems to have T-55s. Even cheaper!

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 22, 2017

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Yooper posted:

Gjader is doable for a premium. An additional million per mission.

Seeing as we are more mercenary and less tied down to a single entity we have the freedom to operate independently, but as such it comes with some penalties. In this case financial penalties. I'm not going to go all X-COM and let us build bases, but we should be able to make it nice and cozy.

And remember, we can still use a smaller location to base our short legged planes out of.

Gjader is worth it. Absolutely voting for it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Definitely There, the additional cost is well worth the protection.

Realbarrow
Dec 5, 2013

Some supplementary reasoning for the thread:

We tend to make hundreds of millions of dollars over the course of a theater.
Even if we do ten contract cards in the Balkans, that's only $3x10=30 million dollars rent out of hundreds of millions earned, to operate out of a very hardened, double runway airbase located outside of corporate territory.
Absolutely worth it.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

I've certainly got no objections. Let's hole up at Gjader.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Gjader is right next to a patch of unspoiled beach. Well, unspoiled except for a bar. I know where I will be spending my off time with some local company.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Voting for Gjader

Also an excerpt from my pilot's book

quote:

As I was recovering from my crash in a German Hospital, the sports news showed that the new Wrexham F.C and Red Dragon Security president legally changed his name to my callisgn for reasons I still do not know today. I want to hope it's out of some weird respect for me, but I doubt it. Worse he was clearly delusional as he kept imitating some WWE wrestler or something. Out of embarrassment I began brainstorming as many different callsigns as possible. Many of these were generic and/or edgy as gently caress like, "Blood Falcon". I think the drugs got me pretty good at the time. I was still struggling to think of one when I passed by some weird guy being detained by German Police. What really caught my ear was his demands about meeting some publishing company for something called "Hank the Chog". For some reason this really struck with me and I decided there to make that my new callsign. If you're still out there, I'll send you a couple hundred bucks your way detainee.

I'll do a writeup for Red Dragon Security tomorrow.

pinchofginger
Nov 7, 2009
Fallen Rib

Realbarrow posted:

Even if we do ten contract cards in the Balkans, that's only $3x10=30 million dollars rent out of hundreds of millions earned, to operate out of a very hardened, double runway airbase located outside of corporate territory.
Absolutely worth it.

Gjader

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Two bases at 1 runway each might work. Idk what's close enough to mutually support though. Also for some reason cmano doesn't have Taszár despite its importance to the last war in the Balkans.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are there any logistics/support companies associated with the assorted mercenary groups?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

In terms of new ground units I want a Snow Drift radar from a Buk battalion (normally there's one of these per 4 Gadfly platoons) for NCTR, plus a 200nm+ air search radar as power crystals mentioned. Maybe add in the SA-11 platoon too, just make sure we have the Snow Drift as a separate unit.

Ground vehicles is fine by me too but the key is spending not much at all on them.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

power crystals posted:

Changing my vote to Med just to be contrarian. Even though I slightly prefer the Balkans sometimes I think Bac's opinion has too much sway on the overall consensus.

I mean, there's nothing stopping other people doing what I'm doing. :justpost: goons!

Besides, a lot of what I say is already in line with goon consensus.A lot of the times, I'm just trying to articulate why the current consensus is good and we should stay the course.

power crystals posted:

Wait, don't we own two SA-22s? I thought it was 2x Shilka 2x Pantsir 1x HAWK.

So, I would like:
  • Any surface search radar >= 200nm. Nick Esasky had a bunch listed earlier, I'd be fine with any of those or there's like 50 more. This is just because we can't have the Argus in the air 24/7 and the search radar from our HAWK battery is embarrassingly short-ranged. We don't want to get ambushed by some lovely Fishbeds that happened to turn up while we weren't watching because it took too long to get our fighters started and airborne. Early warning saves lives.
  • 2x BTR-ZD platoons (2 vehicles each).
  • 2x Swedish 120mm mortar (apparently this is just one single dude lugging the mortar and its ammo around, that guy must be ripped).
  • 1x Kuwaiti FV510 platoon (4 vehicles each). Or there's like a dozen Bradleys equivalent to this but these look cooler.

I support all this!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Realbarrow posted:

Absolutely worth it.

Changing vote to Gjaeder

I still want some ground security elements. A few million up front could fend off a ground attack and prevent some planes from being surprise unavailable.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Can we bring Cobbie back as our ground support team? Or maybe some friends from Angola or Tibet? We can still pay them in full, but I like continuity.

Oh, yeah, and the Snow Drift and Ground Master are also good. We could always get our Flankers in pairs/fours or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Remember the Serbian urchins who tagged along with the Phoenix Command group? I'm thinking we can give them a few things to do.