Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Uranium 235 posted:

Bitcoin traded for over $6000 this morning for a new all time high.

F-me now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
O, we ain't done yet... hold fast btc goons

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
I'm going to be rich! Then poor! then a little rich again, then probably poor again! - me, looking at my idiot bitcoin stock going up and down like a yo yo or a toddler in one of those door frame bouncy things.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
hold out until you can afford another pizza

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

scott zoloft posted:

hold out until you can afford another pizza

Late the conversation but those Iceland pictures you took were cool :tipshat:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Minimalist Program posted:

I'm going to be rich! Then poor! then a little rich again, then probably poor again! - me, looking at my idiot bitcoin stock going up and down like a yo yo or a toddler in one of those door frame bouncy things.

Quite exciting, Minimalist Program! So this is like a derivative investment of bitcoins? I can't see that website you posted. You like smelling the wafts of poop by waving it in your face, but aren't actually touching/rolling in it?

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

EorayMel posted:

Late the conversation but those Iceland pictures you took were cool :tipshat:

ty. :) it's almost impossible to take a bad picture in a place like that, especially with a modern camera or recent phone. i want to go back and rent an RV to putz around the island in, but i also want to go to bergen and take that high elevation train to oslo.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

Quite exciting, Minimalist Program! So this is like a derivative investment of bitcoins? I can't see that website you posted. You like smelling the wafts of poop by waving it in your face, but aren't actually touching/rolling in it?

It's a german company that buys bitcoins and owns bitcoin and you pay a certain amount of stock in the company, whose market value goes up and down w. the price of bitcoin so yes. If bitcoin crashes the stock crashes too and it's every bit as dumb, but at least this just feels more familiar in that it's a german company traded on the well regulated german xetra and I get to keep it in my regular stock deposit account and use my portfolio management tools same as everything else.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

There are already plenty of cryptos that are better then buttcoins in every way. Its just that no one cares about them except for how much they are worth in buttcoins because no one wants random shitcoins in exchange for drugs.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Btc at $6000. Suck my drat dick goons.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The amount of money you can trade pogs for has absolutely no bearing on the things that make it technically, objectively bad.

If you make 3000x profit I'll say good for you and laugh at btc. If you lose it all, I'll say sorry for your loss and laugh at btc

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

Btc at $6000*. Suck my drat dick goons.

*on the exchange where you can't actually withdraw USD, which all the other exchanges track due to arbitrage

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
a coworker paid off his mortgage after selling off some of his bitcoin investments

which is why i love hearing internet folks say ITS FAKE YOU CAN'T SELL

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Btc at $6000. Suck my drat dick goons.

How much real money you got now?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Also, I started bicycle commuting. Cardiff by the Sea to UTC and back. 33mi RT.

Dropped 140lbs+ in 1996.

This is a really nice seaside bike ride. Good on ya VideoGameVet.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

vortmax posted:

*on the exchange where you can't actually withdraw USD, which all the other exchanges track due to arbitrage

Coinbase.com makes it stupid easy to withdraw and purchase bitcoin. Do you need help wiping your own rear end too?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Coinbase.com makes it stupid easy to withdraw and purchase bitcoin. Do you need help wiping your own rear end too?

sell all your bitcoin.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
number go higher. go higher number

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Is that from November last year or even older? I heard transactions took a long time to process but that’s just ridiculous :v:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
buttcoin

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

I was talking about Bitfinex, but as long as you're posting how easy it is to get money out of Coinbase,

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Is that from November last year or even older? I heard transactions took a long time to process but that’s just ridiculous :v:

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
:salt:

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Man my bitcoin stock is going to go way up Monday when the market opens. Pizza city, here I come baby!!!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
The bitcoin price is totally organic and not ridiculously manipulated in trivial ways no no no

wash trading built into the goddamn platform good loving lord

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i thought that was common knowledge since... i dont even know. maybe the last bitcoin thread

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
Serious question, if it’s notorious that you can’t get money out of bitinfex, why do people buy into it? I thought it was the same wishful thinking that makes them believe that crypogs will surely be useful for something, some day, but there are other exchanges, presumably some of which allow cash withdrawals right now?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Serious question, if it’s notorious that you can’t get money out of bitinfex, why do people buy into it? I thought it was the same wishful thinking that makes them believe that crypogs will surely be useful for something, some day, but there are other exchanges, presumably some of which allow cash withdrawals right now?

because bitcoin

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

this is good stuff, keep hittin that vein

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

vortmax posted:

I was talking about Bitfinex, but as long as you're posting how easy it is to get money out of Coinbase,

HerStuddMuffin posted:

It takes 30 minutes to an hour to transfer from Bitfinex to Coinbase, where you can sell bitcoin and wire the cash to your bank account. The whole process can be done in one day. But all exchanges have roughly the same prices. Right now Coinbase/GDAX is higher than Bitfinex. :shrug:

not sure why people say it's hard to get money out of Bitfinex because I've used it to trade altcoins and send money back to GDAX, so I transfer to/from Bitfinex fairly often. never had a problem

I assume it's because Bitfinex no longer allows cash withdrawals, at least not in USD. not sure about euro

Uranium 235 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 21, 2017

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

Man my bitcoin stock is going to go way up Monday when the market opens. Pizza city, here I come baby!!!
maybe, maybe not. there's a fork on october 25th and i think there could be a lot of people selling bitcoin after that (if you hold on that date then you will keep bitcoin plus get the new forked coin). lots of altcoins are cheaper now than they have been in months, so money could flow out of bitcoin into the cheap alts. obviously i cannot predict what will happen, but this is something to be aware of and look out for

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chadzok posted:

this is good stuff, keep hittin that vein

I think divabot is the guy who wrote a book on how ridiculous bitscoin is. it took him over a year because poo poo kept getting stupider and stupider

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lol trying to claim washing is illegal in a totally unregulated pog trading system.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I think divabot is the guy who wrote a book on how ridiculous bitscoin is. it took him over a year because poo poo kept getting stupider and stupider

nine months, including three where I just looked at it and went "ew", which I understand is a totally standard phase in writing a book

nobody should ever write a book basically

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol trying to claim washing is illegal in a totally unregulated pog trading system.

the cea almost certainly covers this nonsense, financial laws are written very broadly because bitcoiners are not the first idiots to try to evade regulations

bitfinex is unregulated in the sense it ignores them not that they do not apply

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

nine months, including three where I just looked at it and went "ew", which I understand is a totally standard phase in writing a book

nobody should ever write a book basically

gimme a link for amazon and i will buy your book.

might even read it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the list of financial regulations bitfinex is not violating is probably shorter than the list of ones it is violating

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

the list of financial regulations bitfinex is not violating is probably shorter than the list of ones it is violating

is it a crime to pump up the cost of bitcoins for personal gain? I don't see that anywhere in the constitution

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

gimme a link for amazon and i will buy your book.

might even read it

well since you ask!

(if you want the paperback this link costs the same but pays me a bit more)

there's also a book website with excerpts, which is now a bitcoiny blog I try to update every day or two

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

is it a crime to pump up the cost of bitcoins for personal gain? I don't see that anywhere in the constitution

the securities law violations endemic in bitcoin have mostly gone under the radar. occasionally the SEC or CFTC will do something like fine Bitfinex some trivial sum. but basically, the SEC could imitate an anvil falling from the skies on the whole crypto sphere any time they wanted to. what they're actually doing is taking a super-light touch, presumably on the notion that so far the bitcoiners are mostly just stealing from each other and maybe with all this horseshit a pony might one day emerge. otoh, note that they're now prosecuting the worst ICOs, and actively reaching out to the borderline ones suggesting they get their paperwork sorted out.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

divabot posted:

well since you ask!

(if you want the paperback this link costs the same but pays me a bit more)

there's also a book website with excerpts, which is now a bitcoiny blog I try to update every day or two

the securities law violations endemic in bitcoin have mostly gone under the radar. occasionally the SEC or CFTC will do something like fine Bitfinex some trivial sum. but basically, the SEC could imitate an anvil falling from the skies on the whole crypto sphere any time they wanted to. what they're actually doing is taking a super-light touch, presumably on the notion that so far the bitcoiners are mostly just stealing from each other and maybe with all this horseshit a pony might one day emerge. otoh, note that they're now prosecuting the worst ICOs, and actively reaching out to the borderline ones suggesting they get their paperwork sorted out.

bitcoin is a honeypot and comedy goldmine.
I bought your book by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
in case you were wondering if that book shows up in peoples kindle recommendations i recognized the cover right away

• Locked thread