Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eric the Mauve posted:

Based on how you describe his competence I'm very skeptical the person you talked to is actually a professional headhunter.

The number checked out as being a financial recruiting firm, but if they were garbage tier recruiters it would be very much like the old place to hire them as a cost saver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

What's the lowest raise you've gotten? Just curious as someone who the other month got less than 3%. Of course context, career, pay rate, etc matters and its probably in the eye of the beholder...

Yeah, about 2.2% was the lowest, and my manager apologized for it. I told him it wasn't a big deal (he was dealing with more important poo poo) and the company was footing the bill for my green card application, so I took it. I did complain about it at the annual employee questionnaire.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
At my company we were getting 2% if that for years. It is kind of a default, "meets expectations" annual raise. I have gotten more maybe twice. However, I find that moving positions within the company gets me a lot more and over the last couple years I have gotten a couple off-cycle raises/promotions without change in job responsibilities that have more than made up for it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

What's the lowest raise you've gotten? Just curious as someone who the other month got less than 3%. Of course context, career, pay rate, etc matters and its probably in the eye of the beholder...

1.8% after my first performance review at my current job. On the one hand I had only been there for six months, on the other hand last year when I had been there a full year I got 2.85% which isn't a whole lot better. I could definitely see myself not getting a raise this year, either for not having an actual direct supervisor to do a review or having to review with the VP who's stewarding our group right now and thinks I do crap work. Doing my damnedest to get out of here before then.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tnuctip posted:

I know its been asked a bunch before, but has anyone technical had good experiences with head hunters? Getting desperate here.

With good head hunters, yes. Try to find one that actually understands your industry to some degree so that no one's time is being wasted. Update your resume on LinkedIn and let the sweet smell of new activity bring them like flies to honey.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Got a 2% last year which was apparently what everyone across the board got, even the guys who go promoted.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
1.25% at my last job.

In my current job, I was up for my annual review in early September. Filled out my Self Evaluation and sent it to my boss. Still waiting on my annual review.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
lowest ever was 5.5, highest ever non job hopping was 19

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I received a zero % raise in 2009. I was pissed because I graded out near the top of the scale but when they announced the third round of layoffs later that week I was a little less pissed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

There was the year (way back when I worked for the state) that we all got a week of extra vacation time instead of raises.

My favorite, though, was the time that a comnpany I'd been temping at for a few months and had just been hired on legit held a companywide meeting, the gist of which was "we're doing awesome, and literally everyone is getting a bonus (except for you)".

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

spf3million posted:

I received a zero % raise in 2009. I was pissed because I graded out near the top of the scale but when they announced the third round of layoffs later that week I was a little less pissed.
You should be more pissed, actually.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

docbeard posted:

There was the year (way back when I worked for the state) that we all got a week of extra vacation time instead of raises.

Reminds me of my previous employer who gave out yearly bonuses at Thanksgiving and gave you a choice between a check for X extra days of pay or X extra vacation days (where X depended on how well the company did that year). That came in handy the year I flew to Thailand for Christmas.

At my current employer my year-end bonus each of the past two years has been about $150, which if you converted my weekly salary to an hourly wage wouldn't even be a day's pay :lol:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
This is exactly why it's so important to negotiate as much salary as possible when you start a job--IT'S ALL YOU'RE EVER GOING TO GET in that position, most likely. Promises of future increases in wages or benefits are worth less than nothing. When you negotiate your starting salary, do so under the assumption that your salary will slowly go down from there as long as you stay in that position--because it probably will, because raises in most established companies aren't keeping pace with inflation/bills.

This is also why it's foolish to expect to stay in any one position longer than about 3 years maximum. The only reliable way to get a raise anymore is to change companies or change positions within a company.

Exceptions for small companies/startups of course, but that represents you taking a risk that the company will grow and whoever owns it won't keep all the extra revenue for themselves if it does.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sydin posted:

It's not corporate but back when I was in uni making $9/hour working for the university's student union, I got a 7 cent raise to $9.07/hour. My manager apologized to me as he was telling me I was getting a raise.

I think Uni (and retail) jobs are kind of cheating in this competition, though. Although you still beat me - the worst raise I got was at my university job where I got a 25c raise... because minimum wage had gone up so it was legally required.

In corporate I did have a job where the company was circling the drain and we had a year without even COL adjustments to wages.

Then the following year they slashed benefits and gave everyone a 3% wage cut :stare: That was when I managed to get out of there.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Volmarias posted:

With good head hunters, yes. Try to find one that actually understands your industry to some degree so that no one's time is being wasted. Update your resume on LinkedIn and let the sweet smell of new activity bring them like flies to honey.

Ive been working on my linkedin profile constantly now, at work. Not sure tho if i have my resume up there but if not i will give it a go. Thanks for the tips!

As far as the recruiter goes, his company runs ads in the back of our industry rag so maybe a good sign? Ill be sure to email him back on the clock today.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is exactly why it's so important to negotiate as much salary as possible when you start a job--IT'S ALL YOU'RE EVER GOING TO GET in that position, most likely. Promises of future increases in wages or benefits are worth less than nothing. When you negotiate your starting salary, do so under the assumption that your salary will slowly go down from there as long as you stay in that position--because it probably will, because raises in most established companies aren't keeping pace with inflation/bills.

There are some exceptions, like public sector. Nothing like seniority based wage increases & pretty much guaranteed small annual increases on top of that. It means you'll typically be getting 5%+ raises. It also means that raises are capped though.

You've still got to plan for promotions though, even the classifications with the most steps only have 8. (staying in the same job for 8 years :barf:)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

lowest ever was 5.5, highest ever non job hopping was 19

God drat that's good. What field, if you don't mind me asking?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is also why it's foolish to expect to stay in any one position longer than about 3 years maximum. The only reliable way to get a raise anymore is to change companies or change positions within a company.

Exceptions for small companies/startups of course, but that represents you taking a risk that the company will grow and whoever owns it won't keep all the extra revenue for themselves if it does.

Another exception is Actuarial programs where there are structured bonuses/raises to go with taking steps towards your credential. Here's an example: https://www.newyorklife.com/about/careers/full-time-actuarial-program/

E: a lot of companies will follow the structure based on how many exams you have passed when they hire you. For example, I've passed FM, P, and C, so if NYL hired me they'd offer their base (unknown) * 1.06^3

Hoshi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Oct 20, 2017

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I had mail duty for my department this past week. Annoying, but it's on a rotation, so hey, whatever, I can deal with it.

What I can't deal with is the fact that every time it's my week to do the mail, "Here's the mail it never fails" from Blues Clues starts playing in my head over and over.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

The only raise I've ever gotten is from my first job at RadioShack, when I went from $6.15 to $7.75. What prompted this drastic change? My hard work, my excellent reviews or high sales numbers?

Nope.

Federal minimum wage was increased to $7.75.

Ever since then, if I wanted a pay raise, I've had to quit and get a new job somewhere else.

EDIT: Woops, meant $7.25

BigDave fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Oct 20, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

hhhmmm
Jan 1, 2006
...?
At my previous job, we would normally get raises in the 2-4% range annually. Except if you could show a better offer from elsewhere, in which case they would match or overbid.

I understand their position, they wanted to be nitty and only negotiate when forced to. And/or my bosses were to weak to overturn corporate policies on wage caps, even when analysts/"data scientists" where getting vastly better offers elsewhere.

But of course it backfired, as approximately half the group quit within a six month interval. Once you start looking for something new, you have already moved on. Management tried to be clever, and only offered actual raises when someone handed in a resignation. Which only motivated the rest of the staff to get offers elsewhere, and once they did, no one really looked back.

Fun fact: Those who quit are a lot happier than those who stayed.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

FrozenVent posted:

Head hunters are always poo poo.

I got a 1.75% raise once. I was like uh, whatever. Manager was not impressed with my reaction

Many moons ago in a low level job we got $0.50 if we were scheduled to work after midnight. This was branded as a 'great incentive'. I pointed out that at most we would be making $1.50 extra a paycheck. I got 'slammed office door' yelled at for pointing it out at a staff meeting.

This was especially egregious because we were usually scheduled to end at 10/11ish but routinely required to stay till after midnight but did not get that 'shift bonus'.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lowest raise was the pay cut I took when they converted me from hourly with over time to salaried. I think it was a $4k pay cut, which for me was probably 7%. I still had to work the horrible hours, but was given comp time instead of money. Then they gave me a 2% raise the next year, which was the lowest actual raise. Glad the market crash and recession kept me stuck there for too long.

I got 10% switching to a new company, 18% the next year. Then 3% the following year. Then I switched to another job in the same company and got 7.5%. Then I moved to another job in the same company and got 12.5%. This year I got 3% standard again.

I have a recruiter telling me I'm worth another 30% on top of this, but that makes sense considering the cost of living is much higher around the area this job is located.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Last change of job was a 40% bump for me.

Guess I'd been underpaid.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I got a 100% raise when I switched jobs once. I was severely underpaid. :v:

E: this was corporate to corporate too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
What's a raise?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SpartanIV posted:

I got a 100% raise when I switched jobs once. I was severely underpaid. :v:

E: this was corporate to corporate too.

Almost the same. It wasn't 100% right off the bat but within 6 months my listed payroll was double my last full-year W2 from the last place.

I'd come in just before the annual review cutoff so I got included with year-end raises, a bonus, and I got promoted. That all happened at once with EOY stuff, but my raise and promotion were applied slightly retro so they'd count toward the bonus.

Techno Remix
Feb 13, 2012

Had a stretch of a few years where raises were a big fat 0%. Then I switched to a new place for about 50% more. I've been lucky enough to get some good raises due to my role steadily "expanding" but now I'm kind of worried that I'm overpaid for my middling skills at a dead-end position.

First world problems, I guess.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
My lowest was a 1.25% pro rated raise because I had only been at the company six months. My highest is 4.5% last year. I can easily get 15-20% if I left my company and moved to the nearby major city, but I actually like where I work.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Mine are generally in the 2.9%ish range, to leave room for improvement? At my company it is pretty much necessary to change departments if you want a significant pay bump.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Star Man posted:

What's a raise?

Yeah, I feel your pain. I worked at one place that outsourced IT to Siemens. I transitioned from that company to Siemens and continued to work onsite. After a year, the company decided to inhouse the IT, so they cancelled the Siemens contract, but they kept my coworker and I on, allegedly offering credit for service for the time with Siemens. I ended up leaving after another year. I suppose at this point you may have noticed that at no point during this whole two year period did I mention any sort of employee evaluation or raise. Want to guess why I left?

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008
Any advice on recovering from burnout? I would :yotj: but I'm an Australian working in the U.K. and need a company to sponsor my visa.

A bit of background:
  • Colleague has a kid.
  • Director bends over backwards to place colleague with Client closer to his home so he doesn't find another job.
  • I get colleague's work on top of mine.
  • Over the next couple of months I get assigned to 2 more major projects (think new highway/subway line scale) and at least 1 smaller one.
  • Figure out I've been assigned to various projects at a rate of 10 days / week. When I explain this to Director I get told basically to suck it up.
  • Colleague somehow still has role to chase up client invoicing in main office, so he keeps bugging me to invoice for my projects when I'm too busy doing his loving job.
  • Over the last couple of months I manage to offload or complete most of my projects and the 2 major projects, so just have colleague's job left.
  • Performance review marks me as average. Promotion or pay rise is based on obtaining Professional Accreditation regardless of how hard I work.
  • Have such a backlog of work and am so used to half-arsing stuff to meet deadlines that my work is poor quality.
  • Get called out by another Director for poor quality work. The same Director I need to sponsor my Professional Accreditation and get a pay rise.

I really feel between a rock and a hard place. I can't get any recognition for the work I do unless I get accreditation. I can't get accreditation because I have so much work to do that I can't do it properly.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

upsidedown posted:

Any advice on recovering from burnout? I would :yotj: but I'm an Australian working in the U.K. and need a company to sponsor my visa.

A bit of background:
  • Colleague has a kid.
  • Director bends over backwards to place colleague with Client closer to his home so he doesn't find another job.
  • Over the next couple of months I get assigned to 2 more major projects (think new highway/subway line scale) and at least 1 smaller one.
  • Figure out I've been assigned to various projects at a rate of 10 days / week. When I explain this to Director I get told basically to suck it up.
  • Colleague somehow still has role to chase up client invoicing in main office, so he keeps bugging me to invoice for my projects when I'm too busy doing his loving job.
  • Over the last couple of months I manage to offload or complete most of my projects and the 2 major projects, so just have colleague's job left.
  • Performance review marks me as average. Promotion or pay rise is based on obtaining Professional Accreditation regardless of how hard I work.
  • Have such a backlog of work and am so used to half-arsing stuff to meet deadlines that my work is poor quality.
  • Get called out by another Director for poor quality work. The same Director I need to sponsor my Professional Accreditation and get a pay rise.

I really feel between a rock and a hard place. I can't get any recognition for the work I do unless I get accreditation. I can't get accreditation because I have so much work to do that I can't do it properly.

That sounds like they are taking advantage of you, knowing that you need a visa, and thus this job. So either, suck it up, or look for work (either in the UK, or elsewhere).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How I got over my burnout:

Two weeks vacations
Get laid off with a few months severance
Rest for two months
:yotj:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

That sounds like they are taking advantage of you, knowing that you need a visa, and thus this job. So either, suck it up, or look for work (either in the UK, or elsewhere).

Agreed. This is more than just burnout -- you're in a bad work environment and/or being taken advantage of. I can't comment on visa issues / recourse you may have since I'm in the USA, but if it was me, I'd start looking for whatever options I had to GTFO and find something better.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still need to get a new job but as it turns out I hate my job and officemate a lot less when I have a seasonal affective disorder lamp in my windowless office! It's a discovery that makes the things a lot more survivable in the meantime.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Shugojin posted:

I still need to get a new job but as it turns out I hate my job and officemate a lot less when I have a seasonal affective disorder lamp in my windowless office! It's a discovery that makes the things a lot more survivable in the meantime.

Good for you, always good to learn about new ways to deal with all our own particular issues.

Had beers with a guy that just up and quit, went by regional Hq to drop off badge and cell phone, but neither his boss or anyone from hr was in so just left the poo poo on their desk with a note. His kids are grown and out of the house, his "old lady" works, plans to relax and chop a couple trees worth of wood for the winter. Im immensely jealous.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

upsidedown posted:

A bit of background:
  • Colleague has a kid.

The fourth bullet point on that list is the point at which your employer realized that you will accept an essentially infinite amount of abuse and can be freely taken advantage of.

I mean, if your situation is such that your options are (a) continue to bend over for your current employer or (b) be deported back to Australia, and you find option (b) unacceptable, then, well, there's nothing to talk about here. Just be aware that your employer is already prepared to move on from you the instant you try to stand up for yourself.

Sorry you're in such a lovely situation, but it sounds like the only cure for your burnout is telling your boss to gently caress off. If your residency in the UK is at your boss's mercy then they have you by the balls and you have no option but to tough it out (preferably while seeking another option, ANY other option, to get away from that toxic company and not lose your residency.)

---------------

Addendum for anyone else happening to read this: If you look at the bullet list above in upsidedown's post, take note: Those first five bullet points? Many, MANY companies/bosses pull this exact routine with everyone they hire, to test how much poo poo you're willing to take. If you don't want habitually taken advantage of by your employer, bullet point three ("I get my colleague's work on top of mine") is the point where you need to respond "Unless you're paying me to do two jobs, I ain't doing two jobs, thanks all the same."

upsidedown is in a lovely spot where the employer knows they have the employee by the metaphorical balls and is milking that fact for all it's worth. If your employer is well aware that you need them more than they need you, they are going to take full advantage. The first goal of any career plan is reaching the point where, whoever you're trading your time/labor to for money, they need YOU more than you need them.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fourth bullet point on that list is the point at which your employer realized that you will accept an essentially infinite amount of abuse and can be freely taken advantage of.

I mean, if your situation is such that your options are (a) continue to bend over for your current employer or (b) be deported back to Australia, and you find option (b) unacceptable, then, well, there's nothing to talk about here. Just be aware that your employer is already prepared to move on from you the instant you try to stand up for yourself.

Sorry you're in such a lovely situation, but it sounds like the only cure for your burnout is telling your boss to gently caress off. If your residency in the UK is at your boss's mercy then they have you by the balls and you have no option but to tough it out (preferably while seeking another option, ANY other option, to get away from that toxic company and not lose your residency.)

It's really confusing to me because they actually do need me. The whole reason they sponsored me was they had tried for years to fill the position locally and couldn't do so. When I leave I think they will struggle to fill the role, but at the same time it 100% feels like I've been taken advantage of because of my immigration status.

Extracting myself in any way will be pretty complicated. I've been with the employer for about 18 months but only on the sponsored visa for 6 after my working holiday visa ran out. Bailing and going back to Australia would land me with a £3000 bill for paying back visa fees for my partner and me (this runs down to zero after 2 years). I'd have to get help from family back home to cover both this and airfares.

I think my best option is to find a new job here that will pay out the visa fees for me. I have a couple of friends / colleagues on the same visa who have made that sort of jump, so it can be done.