Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
Guys, we're not really meant to be an army, remember? Don't buy APCs and poo poo that we have to drag around from deployment to deployment. We can hire Cobbie or the Bulgarian Brothers or something to handle our ground security for us.

that said, i would not be opposed to buying a OECM/ESM vehicle of some type. Would be nice to have a non-air based method of noticing emissions (the boat is probably not hanging around right near us all day) and possibly loving up people who think they're gonna do silly things like throw SARH missiles at our CAP.

Nick Esasky fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The thing that has me worried about that is trusting our security with other mercenaries. Hmm...

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Bacarruda posted:

I mean, there's nothing stopping other people doing what I'm doing. :justpost: goons!

Nothin' at all against you man, I just like trying to offer alternatives to whatever the consensus is :respek: this is probably why almost every mission plan I've submitted has been #2 in voting.

If anything I think more people (including myself) just need to use pictures since that seems to be a big thing in swaying opinions.

Nick Esasky posted:

Guys, we're not really meant to be an army, remember? Don't buy APCs and poo poo that we have to drag around from deployment to deployment. We can hire Cobbie or the Bulgarian Brothers or something to handle our ground security for us.

Would you want to hire a mercenary airforce that didn't come with any way to protect its own assets while they're grounded? We can immediately donate or loan them to Cobbie or whomever to crew them if we want (personally I'd love to see Cobbie try to operate an IFV), since it's not like those guys have any real heavier assets of their own to bring. You're right that we're not an army; that's why I'm not asking for tanks or anything heavier. We aren't going to be conducting prolonged ground sieges, just watching our own backs. 8 vehicles and a pair of crew-served weapons seems a fairly minor investment in our own security, as well as making us more attractive to sponsors who may not have assets of their own to provide for our defense.

You don't buy insurance because you want to have to use it, after all.

PS I forget who maintains that image of our assets on the first page (Quinntan?) but there's a typo, the F-117s are named as F-111s.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I think I've got a good idea for a ground "PMC" that could run base security.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I remember we once tried to have ground forces but the guys went to "training" after china and just never came back

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Tythas posted:

I remember we once tried to have ground forces but the guys went to "training" after china and just never came back

Don't worry, these'll be nice reliable anarchist street fighters/punk music aficionados.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Nick Esasky posted:

that said, i would not be opposed to buying a OECM/ESM vehicle of some type. Would be nice to have a non-air based method of noticing emissions (the boat is probably not hanging around right near us all day) and possibly loving up people who think they're gonna do silly things like throw SARH missiles at our CAP.

Most air forces have a dedicated airfield security force. The RAF Regiment in the UK. The Aussie Airfield Defence Guards. The USAF's Security Forces.

Since we're effectively a small air force (seriously, we have more combat capability than the entire Austrian air force), we should act like one.

A few guys in AFVs and some SPAA is a pretty sensible insurance policy, in my view.

Seconding the OECM proposal. Something to float come mid-round procurement time.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
I third getting a little extra security with IFVs and augmenting a couple infantry platoons for security. Since we'll be in the Balkans we could try and see if there are a few Strelas laying around that just need to get their dents buffed out.

We should also look into getting a couple more logistics planes next acquisition round, this will give us some airlift for mission flexibility (parachuting Cobbie and the boys in, doing humanitarian supply runs and stuff) while also giving us the ability to cheese it and not hope the Canadians are around to get us out.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Getting some security for our mountain airfield just makes sense. Especially considering how cheaply we can acquire some basic security forces.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I really hope every infantry unit we hire wanders off and goes scissor crazy.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
Thunderdomes just...happen around us.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Davin Valkri posted:

Can we bring Cobbie back as our ground support team? Or maybe some friends from Angola or Tibet? We can still pay them in full, but I like continuity.

on ya, sonia

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Instead of hiring cobbie or other ground forces let's just hire cobbies ex wife

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

PMC SUGGESTION: NEWS CORPORATION

During the great celebrity nude and sextape drought of 2020, the editors of British "Newspaper" THE SUN got a bit too creative for their own good.

Faced by the fact that the rich and famous were getting wise to even their most insipid ploys to get their private parts on film, the newspaper resorted to what had started as an office joke two years earlier and decided to buy one of the last operational U2 spyplanes from NASA. It was an instant success. Faced with more footage of indecent conduct than they could swing a stick at, more and more planes and cameras were purchased and streaming services were launched. The future looked bright and skin colored, famously so even, until one fatefull mission...

In 2022 on a return trip from a japanese nude beach trying to catch a whiff of that sweet teen idol nonsense they had heard so much about, one of their planes accidentally started recording over a random location in the Bering strait. Back at headquarters they were greatly surprised to find footage of several Iceberg trawlers fishing where they shouldn't be. A bright head suggested they contact one of their rivals for fun but the sum offered from mitsuhashi (Thirty Kardashians, which at the time was the highest denomination used internally.) silenced all laughs and a memo was discretely sent to Rupert Murdoch and News Corporation.

The response was quick. Operations were soon taken out of THE SUNS hands and transformed into its own subsidiary of News Corporation to provide services to all their news outlets and anyone else willing to buy for that matter. Spy satellites were lauched, the fleet was expanded and in January 2023, Rupert Murdoch himself revealed the first operational SR-71 Blackbird in 24 years. With an ever growing client base, one thing is clear: Nothing is safe. Not Tom Cruises latest implants, not any hidden missile locations and definitly not anything you wish to keep private that can be monetized.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017
I've mentioned this in Discord and I'll say it again here, something about this feels terrifying and sleazy and downright unholy that all the other PMCs do not. Like, it fits perfectly in the 'verse, it's just...:gonk:

So, well done, Orcbuster. Now if you'll excuse me I'll need to scrub off my skin until I feel clean again.

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

bibliosabreur posted:

I've mentioned this in Discord and I'll say it again here, something about this feels terrifying and sleazy and downright unholy that all the other PMCs do not. Like, it fits perfectly in the 'verse, it's just...:gonk:

So, well done, Orcbuster. Now if you'll excuse me I'll need to scrub off my skin until I feel clean again.

Its amazing what can happen when you start bouncing insane ideas off one another.

orcbuster fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Oct 22, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In fairness of the big, hardened airport and getting some ground assets for minimal security and a ground radar/backup AA. It's not that expensiveand better to not need it than need it and end up not having.

Remember when we faced the full wing slamdancing us and all our planes were taxiing for takeoff and it was our SAM's that saved us from being cratered? We'd rather not have any repeats.

Also, is it possible to put Jay in charge of our ground forces team? I mean, I'm pretty sure the Serbs can hook him up with some hella cool drugs and/or booze and we've already flown with Bob so we're cool in his infinitely obscenity laden playbook.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
I want the mountain goon base. A good base airport is essential to getting a bunch of strikes away quickly.

And we have a lot of assets now and i think its worth protecting them properly and not relying on other mercs for it. We don't need too much, but:

power crystals posted:

So, I would like:
  • Any surface search radar >= 200nm.
  • 2x BTR-ZD platoons (2 vehicles each).
  • 2x Swedish 120mm mortar (apparently this is just one single dude lugging the mortar and its ammo around, that guy must be ripped).
  • 1x Kuwaiti FV510 platoon (4 vehicles each). Or there's like a dozen Bradleys equivalent to this but these look cooler.

I like these options, would add on an infantry platoon and i dont mind shelling out for more transport in the future to lug em round with, especially if we can then get more cargo missions too.

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Oct 22, 2017

Chunky Monkey
Jun 12, 2005
Kill the Gnome!
Might I suggest a couple airports in Bulgaria that may serve our purposes and possibly be slightly cheaper than the options we currently have:

Dobroslavtsi Air Base: A former Bulgarian airbase, in 2017 the only activity at the airbase is guarding some MiGs. Most likely in Yooperverse 2023, this airbase was sold off to Arsenal AD. Features such amenities as random buildings, what looks to be hardened aircraft bunkers, and easy access to Sofia for post mission partying.
Ruse Airport: Another former military airport, it was sold off in 2015 to the municipality to be used as a civil airport. Probably super cheap considering the airport is pretty remote so it probably doesn't get a lot of business. Features such amenities as nothing nearby, and also the parking spots appear to be built up in a way that shields the plane parked there from ground attack.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Ruse is a bit out of the way. Dobroslavtsi isn't a bad idea. Is there a backup airbase nearby to make up for the 1-runway problem though?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

PS I forget who maintains that image of our assets on the first page (Quinntan?) but there's a typo, the F-117s are named as F-111s.

There’s always some sort of mistake somewhere, thanks for catching that one.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just spotted this over in the Historical Fun Fact thread:

Technocrat posted:

Back in 1989, at the tail end of the Cold War, can you guess who had the world's seventh-largest submarine fleet? If you don't already know, it's probably not someone who'd be among your first guesses - it was Pepsi.

How did this happen? Had the cola wars reached DEFCON 1? Well, back in the days of the USSR, Pepsi had managed to secure quite a coup by becoming the sole supplier of imported cola drinks in the Soviet Union, since the Olympics in 1980 (which, having been boycotted by the USA, was a bit of an own goal publicity-wise). Anyhow, the way the USSR did business meant that Pepsi couldn't just sell the drinks, and take the roubles out of the country - they had to receive payment in Russian product - initially, mostly vodka, which is a fair enough trade for Pepsi. However, there was only so much vodka that they could sell in the USA, so opted to diversify their portfolio a bit when it came to goods received from Russia. Amongst the various things they took as payment was shipping, including 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate and a destroyer, that they then passed on to a company in Sweden for scrap recycling. Sure, they eventually disposed of them, but for the few days they had them, Pepsi possessed the world's seventh largest fleet of submarines.

The president of Pepsi, Donald Kendall, told the National Security Adviser of USA: "We are disarming the USSR faster than you".
Bet they wish they'd held onto those botes when they had the chance...

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Yvonmukluk posted:

I just spotted this over in the Historical Fun Fact thread:

Bet they wish they'd held onto those botes when they had the chance...

Funny you mention that :D

"Merc Write Up posted:

The DSPF

In 1989, Pepsico purchased 17 submarines, a cruiser, a frigate and a destroyer from the Soviet Union, this marked a brutal and tragic escalation of the ongoing Cola Wars. Forced to respond to Pepsico’s armed blockades of their strategic ports and distribution centers, Coca-Cola sought the purchase of a number of surplus jets and other equipment to secure their sea lines of communication. Pepsico responded by in turn acquiring their own jets and launching tactical bombing strikes on several foreign processing centers. What followed would be a decade of reprisal after bloody reprisal as the two conglomerates slugged it out for soft drink dominance.

The war raged on until 2005 when a tentative peace treaty between the two factions was negotiated by Kofi Annan in a special session of the United Nations. Both sides had grown weary of fighting yet were leery of the other side’s intentions and wouldn’t trust them to disarm. Peace was finally mediated when the Dr. Pepper-Snapple group offered to step in as peacekeeping forces. Neutral in the conflict, Dr. Pepper-Snapple had built enough international goodwill and a strong reputation among the combatants due to its fiercely neutral stance. Pepsico and Coca Cola agreed to a mutual limited disarmament and Dr Pepper-Snapple began to patrol and defends the ravaged areas between the two sides.

Today the Dr. Pepper-Snapple Peacekeeping Force or DSPF is deployed in five theatres around the world, maintain their charters clear missions of humanitarian aid, protection of vulnerable peoples and bringing the refreshing taste of Dr Pepper to those regions previously denied access on cultural or religious grounds. While most of the organizations resources are tied up in other engagements around the word, a small rapid response force stands ready to be deployed anywhere in 48 hours’ notice. While the DSPF does seek profit like all PMCs, it is more cognizant of its image around the world and actively seeks contracts with sides that advance more humanitarian goals in line with the UN Charter, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Be You marketing campaign of 1983.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

41.895167, 19.598528

A forward team has gone in to Gjader to survey the facilities. Upon landing they immediately got to work and found the nearest pub. Three days later and they actually arrived at the facilities itself. And man, is this place a gem!

The annotated map comes to us courtesy of our Forward Team, Jimmy4400Nav, thedemon, and Kollkevz666. I'll include the notes they provided.

1. Kickin' rad farmers market. (Find the old lady with the chicken on a stick. Or maybe it's rat. It's good)
  2. Igov's Pub and Dance Club (Drink specials 3-5)
  3. Nearest Pub called Buzkivs, expensive, but the early shift bartender is flirty.
  4. Beach is that way
  5. Found an old guy named Enver Hoxha who makes his own wine, dude is a hoot. Crazy stories.
  6. Ask for the Pinball Wizard, pretty good weed there.

When I pressed them about the airbase they just said it'll be fine.

This place is so thematically perfect that it's hard to go with something else. I think this will be HomeBase and we'll let individual mission plans use FOB's if they so please.

We'll have mission voting next! Then it's hammer time! Or night at Igov's...

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah I don't think we need to worry much about ground security.

quote:

The concrete bunkers of Albania are a ubiquitous sight in the country, with an average of 5.7 bunkers for every square kilometre.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

aphid_licker posted:

Yeah I don't think we need to worry much about ground security.

We need to put people, or at least some skilfully crafted mannequins in those bunkers

Calling the bunker-o-love till I get a flying post

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm glad to know our recon team understands what we want most in an airbase.

This place sounds rad.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

DesperateDan posted:

We need to put people, or at least some skilfully crafted mannequins in those bunkers

Calling the bunker-o-love till I get a flying post

The Halloween decoration budget should be able to cover it "Skeletons in the bunkers at 6, 7, 9, and 11 through 3 o'clock, sir! Assault is bogging down! Requesting immediate dustoff!"

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Well if the Albanians are cool with it, I'm good with it.

shas
Jul 27, 2011

Gjader is cool but there's something worth bearing in mind which is that it's.. not been an operational base for a while and people have started building houses along the second runway and are using it as an access road:

and you can see that in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdSd2fka7bk

- at 0:20 he's turning onto the south end of the runway:

- at 2:30 more footage of the second runway driving north

there's traffic and houses to contend with and the taxiways look beat up.

I still think this place looks cool! Yooper could even come up with us having to keep the locals on board, or a tractor might accidentally get parked in the middle of the runway one morning..

shas fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 22, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
This place sounds like a good time for mercs with money to spend and a desire to enjoy some not lovely weather for a change!

I wonder if Cobbie is coming along, bet he would be a hoot at Igov's Pub and Dance Club.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

shas posted:

I still think this place looks cool! Yooper could even come up with us having to keep the locals on board, or a tractor might accidentally get parked in the middle of the runway one morning..

You ever see what happens when a company shows up in a small, financially strapped, town? The loving mayor shows up with every two bit lackey while the local hotels, bars, and restraurants see nothing but dollar signs. We have become a positive growth force in a disadvantaged economy. We could ask them to bulldoze Bob's house and it'll be gone before Bob knows it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Actually, where are we going to park our bote? We'll need to find somewhere to base it. In Albania, too?

Also, does it come with a complementary chopper? Because otherwise I propose a Hind. Can shuttle personnel and provide fire support if necessary.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
looks like there is a reasonable size port about 30 mins drive away. As the crow Günne flies it's probably only 4-5km

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Besides, the bote has enough fuel storage to not need to be docked every day or anything like that.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We have four initial mission offerings. Please VOTE for two.

1. MCT has hired the Red Bull Riot Team, soccer hooligans and extreme sports junkies, to "riot" and destroy a UNICUM warehouse in Timisoara Romania.
  2. ROMARM needs to insert a team into a RABA CORP lab to hack and retrieve blueprints. Escort in, out, and provide CAS.
  3. YUGOIMPORT is still recovering after Janko's death. They need to assess the state of seized assets at RABA CORP HQ. Heavy SAM presence.
  4. SCHMOHZ's zeppelin ad campaign is kicking off across the region. "Be a Schmoh!" is proving popular. Keep the zeppelin alive. Zeppelins also in Zadar Croatia and Varna Bulgaria. Only one area need be protected.

Below is our current standings. Due to the status of the Bulgarian Mafia we have a slight edge there.

GJADER AIR BASE

For $37 million we can have a GroundMaster radar installed along with a proper "donation" to the local GJADER Volunteer Fire Department and Sectarian Militia. The locals are happy to provide some clunky old APC's along with whatever they can steal from the local army units. They won't stop a CIA Wet Team, but they'll keep the riff-raff out.

We can look at additional air base additions after the next mission. That will also be 3D Print Proposal Time.

So, go vote!

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

DesperateDan posted:

I like these options, would add on an infantry platoon and i dont mind shelling out for more transport in the future to lug em round with, especially if we can then get more cargo missions too.

I've been operating under the assumption that we control a handful of unnamed infantry platoon equivalents armed with whatever generic 7.62mm weapon CMANO uses as its baseline (AKM, I would assume, but given it seems to be one per unit maybe it's an M60?). If nothing else, we have around a hundred inactive pilots to use as cannon fodderbase security. I wouldn't mind making this explicit, but I don't think they'd ever do enough on CMANO's scale to actually be worth mentioning. You all remember Cobbie's men firing tens of thousands of rounds at a hardened bunker, right?

I say we open cautiously. Zepplin and Molson Coors CAS.

I also am of course voting for buy the radar and friends.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I say Zeppelin if we want to take it easy, and Hack and CAS for a slightly better paycheck. Perfect opportunity to soft test our 117's!

I have misgivings about attacking the good alcohol makers, because good alcohol. I also have a burning desire to never be working for any Taco Bell affiliates again, ever. Just so you all know where my priorities lie.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 22, 2017

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?
The flypast looks rewarding but deadly. And the Red Bull Riot team sounds cooler than Romarm hackers.

MCTB CAS and Zeppelin.

Yes to radar/bribery/Mayor's Benevolent Fund contributions or whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
I'd start with yugo and romarm, plus reinforce the airfield with radar and volunteers

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 22, 2017