Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Orv posted:

Hooooold on.

For running, I mean. Stamina for combos is necessary, of course. It's no fun to have to manage sprining when you're trying to make it to another quest.

il_cornuto posted:

D:OS2's move speed is absolutely fine. You know you can warp to the waypoints at any time from the menu right?

Edit: I guess I haven't beaten it yet, maybe there's a huge area with no waypoints later or something.

It's okaaaaaay. Improving it only makes the game better tho because it allows you to double back to specific areas much faster without breaking anything at all (so far, if it breaks something you can always turn it off).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dias posted:

For running, I mean. Stamina for combos is necessary, of course. It's no fun to have to manage sprining when you're trying to make it to another quest.

Oh okay, yeah carry on.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Look if you don't have the time to play games anymore, you don't, just make it faster. Like my bro Dias, i like to speed up the busywork, not just in games, i also binge watched the entirety of Breaking Bad in 2x speed cause who has the time to go through multiple seasons of a show anymore

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I feel like if I ever reached a point where I needed to rush even through my leisure activities to such a degree, I'd probably go crazy pretty fast.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the only mods that truly matter are nude mods

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'd recommend the Better Trophies mod for TW3 too, cause the default trophies have repeat stats or are just useless junk anyways, at least this will give them stats that make sense.

Also the Disable intro and storybook videos mod, if you're actively playing the game and don't want to sit through plot reminders every time you boot it up.

And for anyone that has beaten the game and just wants more stuff to kill... Random Encounters loving owns, you can re-fight all those unique monsters like griffins and leshens as random encounters in the world, I love it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

HenryEx posted:

Look if you don't have the time to play games anymore, you don't, just make it faster. Like my bro Dias, i like to speed up the busywork, not just in games, i also binge watched the entirety of Breaking Bad in 2x speed cause who has the time to go through multiple seasons of a show anymore

Kanfy posted:

I feel like if I ever reached a point where I needed to rush even through my leisure activities to such a degree, I'd probably go crazy pretty fast.

Yeah, you shouldn't be like me, a terrible person that doesn't stop and appreciate the 4min backtracking to talk to the same NPC for the fourth time to advance a quest.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
all games should have better mobility options

put airdashes in doki doki literature club

edit: well, that post didn't get freed from the shadow realm so now it's just a double one i guess

Dias fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 22, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ive played Pillars of Eternity and really liked how....simplistic...it was. What should be my next kind of easy to grasp ARPG game? I tried Divinity 2 but it was wayyyy too complicated for my brain :(

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e; dp

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ive played Pillars of Eternity and really liked how....simplistic...it was. What should be my next kind of easy to grasp ARPG game? I tried Divinity 2 but it was wayyyy too complicated for my brain :(

If you can do Tactics/grid-based combat, I recommend Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Tyranny is in the same vein as PoE, give that a whirl.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, seconding the Shadowruns and Tyranny.

Also Torment 2 is real good if you want more of a narrative focused RPG.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill check those out thanks guys

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
https://www.pcgamesn.com/neogaf/neogaf-down-sexual-harassment

quote:

Prolific and popular gaming forum NeoGAF (formerly the Gaming Age Forums, founded in 2006) is currently offline at the time of writing, and it might not be coming back this time.

I wonder if this will cause us to get some new members.

Here is our chance boys, lets not blow it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Turd Herder posted:

So that's what the GAF stood for.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Turd Herder posted:

You don't want Neogaf members flocking to here no matter how many tenbux they throw.
Right now they're congregating in GiantBomb and various makeshift forums.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the Grim Dawn DLC add anything for people who haven't already been playing for a while?

Two more starting classes (that are both really fun,) some reworked equipment and skills + the new acts.

I bought it while only being in act 1 and don't regret it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Accordion Man posted:

Also Torment 2 is real good if you want more of a narrative focused RPG.
Is it? I find it really plodding and uninteresting so far... And Planescape: Torment is my favorite game of all time.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Really Pants posted:

the only mods that truly matter are nude mods

And how funny we bring up Dragon's Dogma, where a mod that removed stamina for sprint, or maybe it was to change the UI buttons to be PS4 ones, it also had the nude mod because the modder was using it when he created the aforementioned mod.

It was something with how Dragma handled modding, where it was just a flat executable. So you can't say install a nude mod then later add the sprint mod, you had to download an .exe that had both mods.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

In anticipation of the Halloween sale, I've got three really good games to talk about this coming week. For now, though... there's this.

:ghost: SPOOKY G4MES: The Ghost Dimension :ghost:

1. Stories Untold
2. Rusty Lake Hotel
3. Rusty Lake: Roots
4. Left in the Dark: No One on Board
5. Daily Chthonicle: Editor's Edition
6. Eleusis
7. Dead Effect
8. Dead Effect 2
9. State of Decay
10. Dead End Road
11. Goetia
12. EMPORIUM
13. F.E.A.R.
14. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin
15. F.E.A.R. 3
16. The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
17. Bloody Streets
18. Layers of Fear
19. Dark Fall 2: Lights Out
20. Painkiller: Black Edition
21. Doorways: The Underworld

22. Doorways: Holy Mountains of Flesh

I held out hope that Saibot Studios would eventually hit upon a working horror formula by the end of the Doorways series. Prelude (from what I had seen) was a lot of wandering with very little happening, and Underworld had some ungainly monsters crammed into cramped halls and tiresome puzzles. There were hints of greatness hiding in the atmosphere and sound design though, which helped birth the hope that this one might be the one that finally gets it right. And while Holy Mountains of Flesh is the richest and most polished entry of the series, it’s still only halfway again towards being a solid horror game.

Those ooey-gooey peaks promised in the title surround a remote mountain town in Mexico, home of an infamous and reclusive serial killer. You won’t be exploring the real thing of course, instead delving directly into the mind of the villain himself to subdue and apprehend him… somehow. That means the village you explore is floating in a hellish, DOOM-like void of crimson clouds and ominous lightning. Your goal lies in a temple devoted to the Saint of Flesh, a lamprey-faced thing who seems set as the main antagonist of the series here, despite never being seen before this installment.

I’m talking around the plot a bit because it’s mostly absent within the game, despite the claims of “complex story” on the store page. You’re free to wander the village between trips to the few key locations you must explore, but you’ll find little of substance in the desolate, poorly-modeled shacks. Sometimes you’ll get a funky visual effect accompanying an audio flashback to someone coughing or arguing, nothing that actually advances the plot in any way. Your protagonist is also far quieter in this game, refusing to utter exclamations at every turn like he did in Underworld and just voicing the rare notes scattered about.

That’s how hollow this game feels, that even the perfunctory notes seem rare! There’s not much more to look forward to in the major locations of the game either, just a handful of notes and simple puzzles. I admit they’re more creative than the awful valve mazes of Underworld, but not by a whole lot. In the school, for example, you have to stay in well-lit areas lest a spindly, invisible zombie man pounce from nowhere and eat your face. In practice this will mean pushing around carts of boxes and TVs, flipping light switches, and eventually making an over-complicated coolant mixture for the generator. All this is to get a ceremonial dagger, along with maybe half a dozen notes and one single collectible if you think to retrace your steps a bunch at the end.

In many ways, Holy Mountains of Flesh feels like a step backwards from Underworld despite having more actual gameplay. I admit the floating village looks neat but is so well-lit and nonthreatening that the game loses a lot of the oppressive atmosphere that worked so well for the previous title. The monsters too are less frightening, limited to more or less stationary beings that unceremoniously grab you and kill you if you get their gimmick wrong. And while the poor environment design wasn’t a huge knock against the tunnels and pits of Underworld, here they hugely limit the experience. Buildings simply look wrong (and not in the good horror way), like setpieces not meant to be lived in or used for anything more than scenery.

Even if you appreciate the barren environs and shallow puzzles here, it’s going to last you three hours at most. There are only three key areas, and I’ll remind you that wandering the village gets you almost nothing of note. You’ll find no shortage of better (and longer) horror adventures out there, more than enough to keep you out of this lackluster series. I almost hate to see it end like this, with progress towards a legitimately good horror game ending before arriving, but there’s no avoiding it. Holy Mountains of Flesh is an appropriate end to the Doorways saga, another attempt at atmospheric horror that never really gets fleshed out.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hopefully my idiocy will save someone else from making the same mistake. I had picked up X-Com 2 War of the Chosen a few weeks ago and thought I was playing it. I realized today that in the launcher that loads up, the logo for War of the Chosen isn't just an image to let you know it's installed. It's actually a button you have to press to turn on the expansion content.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

NeoGAF... gone.
The Escapist... dissolved.

Only Something Awful remains.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ding ding ding

I hate inventory management, I don't want to work when I'm playing a game.

Exception: Resident Evil 4.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

exquisite tea posted:

NeoGAF... gone.
The Escapist... dissolved.

Only Something Awful remains.

It's kinda funny because SA was considered dead, and yet here it still is.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

This was literally the only game I could think of where inventory management is good and fun.

also I've been playing Helen's Mysterious Castle a bit and it's surprisingly well-done for a rpgmaker dungeon-focused game. It implements a single-party turn-based fighting style decently. I imagine the fighting will get kind of stale after a while but it seems like it's going to be short enough to mostly avoid that problem. It also works in dying in a different way, instead of game-overing when you die, you get sent back to your bed where your brother makes you a steak that increases your hp by 1. Yeah, for real. You don't lose exp or anything either and exp is used pretty uniquely, as Helen doesn't level up, but you can level up items to make them stronger and cut down on their "wait" time.

It's kind of a neat game once you get beyond the typical rpgmaker clunk and it's only 1.99 normal price. You could do worse if you want to try a short, lite dungeon-focused rpg experience.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Oct 22, 2017

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

That is the best inventory tetris game ever made.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Shindragon posted:

It's kinda funny because SA was considered dead, and yet here it still is.

What is dead may never die.

Luisfe posted:

RE4 has fun inventory management, because it actually means something to you as a player and you can optimize it at a glance. System Shock 2 has a similar system and it was pretty cool too. That's one of my arguments for just deleting weight cap limits from most games, they usually don't mean anything, it's just an arbitrary "please don't pack-rat" barrier. Either make players HAVE to base their loadout on what they can carry or just pretend they have a Bag of Holding IMO.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Witcher is good with unlimited inventory. Also the more frequent rare drops mod, because all drowners have tongues dammit.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

il_cornuto posted:

D:OS2's move speed is absolutely fine. You know you can warp to the waypoints at any time from the menu right?

I only figured this out in Act 4 :downs:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turd Herder posted:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
You'd think lowtax would embrace neogaf refugees with his comments about how SA doesn't make any money these days. Think of all the registration money, and of course they'll want to replace their trump avatars, then pay for platinum...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Leal posted:

You'd think lowtax would embrace neogaf refugees with his comments about how SA doesn't make any money these days. Think of all the registration money, and of course they'll want to replace their trump avatars, then pay for platinum...
https://twitter.com/richard_kyanka/status/922117419258216449

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Well then, gotta applaud him for sticking to his guns.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What's the reason for this, what's wrong with NeoGAF?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Phlegmish posted:

It was basically a forum full of stupid opinions on gaming. Kotaku readers, Nintendo whisperers, the lot.

Best gaming news aggregate though if you just skimmed through thread names every now and then.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Luisfe posted:

I'm playing this right now for Halloween month and I think it might be one of the best games ever made. The shlocky b movie plot and acting, the memorable set pieces, and the unparalleled blend of action and survival horror. It's peak Resident Evil. If Capcom wanted to make an extra extra HD version with new higher resolution textures and kept everything else the same I'd probably buy it a seventh time or whatever.

I also love how the game constantly feels like you're hitting the climax and then nope, it keeps on going. It's bizarre in hindsight how all the promotional materials focused on the village stuff and then come to find out it's a fairly small part of the game.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Phlegmish posted:

NeoGAF is fine. Always was the best place for breaking news. Some posters were top notch. Most had terrible opinions though.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

DrNutt posted:

I'm playing this right now for Halloween month and I think it might be one of the best games ever made.

It definitely is. I love RE4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh he got his twitters back :unsmith:

E: whoa thats a lot of backed-up tweetjizz

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 22, 2017